• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil Village PSVR2 Tech Review - A Massive VR Upgrade

Chupanibre

Really liking what I've seen of psvr2 so far. I want one, but I'm too lazy to move my coffee table out of the way to use it.

Manual reloading looks good. One of my favourite aspects of Half Life 2 & W40K Battle Sister with PCVR (Battle Sister even lets you manually pull the empty mag too)

The sole reason I skipped RE8 entirely. Wanna play it in VR.

RE7 on VR was such a cool experience.
It’s absolutely amazing. I get a bit motion sick when running around escaping but otherwise it’s pretty fine. Graphics are amazing and somehow the people/creatures in the game seem totally real, like you could meet them in real life and not be surprised by it.

Minsc

Great experience in VR, definitely am glad I picked it up, and very much looking forward to finishing it and seeing RE4 VR as well. There's some room for improvement for RE4 though, so I hope they fix the object interaction to be more consistent, but all in all it is quite fun and scary at times!

ZoukGalaxy

Will Smith Wow GIF by 1LIVE

Crayon

waiting for custom headstraps. The one included made me return it

The scope seems to come off tool-free. I think the cable can be reomved without a screwdriver too iirc. So they are probabaly coming as long as there's enough demand.

mortal

The sole reason I skipped RE8 entirely. Wanna play it in VR.

RE7 on VR was such a cool experience.
Yup, same here. I played a bit of the demo when it first dropped and found it hard to go back after RE7 VR. The first person was better suited for VR imo.

I do hope that Capcom will design a VR-exclusive RE title at some point. Something with more granular detail and interactivity, as well as complete freedom of view.

rofif

No matter what I did, the damn thing kept slowly creeping up the back off my head and down my resting on my nose.
And the sweet spot of lenses is so extremely small (smallest of any headset I've used), that I constantly have to readjust it, making it very uncomfortable.
I've tried keeping it high, low, very tight, with a cap on.... The halo strap is just shit. I hate this design. The one in Rift S was also bad but better than this sadly. I still much prefer simple "slap on face" skiing googles design.

That said, re8 vr demo was FANTASTIC. looked good and the game world detail really comes through. The arms are a bad choice though

Last edited:

Crayon

wait until you get into that spoopy house..

Well let me tell you my wife thinks it's ver entertaining to watch me squirm in re7. There was a part where I almost jummped backwards over the couch. She was absolutely dyying and I wouldn't pick it back up for a month, telling her that she should have a turn. Nope! Called my bluff. She actually came home with a copy of re8 right before vr2 launch. "Guess whaaaaatt?"

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Very impressive. Can't imagine how good PSVR2 games will look a couple of years from now.

It's almost comical how much DF is avoiding doing a Hogwarts Legacy PC review lol. Oh well at least RE8 and RE2R look great.

Crayon

This was on sale just before VR2 released and I purposely avoided it and told myself I’ll buy it when it’s on sale again.

Well, it’s on sale again for €20, so I bought it. Kinda too scared to play it though. I didn’t even finish the demo, too scared. 😂

You know, I thought that I was less scared of things since I got older. But re7 made me realize that when I got older I stopped sneaking into abandoned buildings at night and stuff lol. I didn't get braver, just less stupid.

Easily my game of the system so far, had it sitting in my backlog for months waiting for PSVR2 and ho boy was it worth holding off, it's an absolute visual masterpiece and utterly stress inducing, tried playing with the realistic reloading but fuk dat I'm too much of a pussy for that realism shit, can barely get a clean shot off in between the screams and panic let alone reload.

It's great to get some time in-between puzzles or unlocking the next section to just go explore and take in the level without the stress of wandering what's gonna jump out at you and from checking out the 2D version I ain't seeing much of a difference in the graphics which is testament to the power of this thing and Sony's design decisions which bodes well for future releases.

Can't wait to see what else Capcom are gonna release in VR

gothmog

So glad I waited. RE7 was totally worth it in VR. Glad to see that RE8 continues the tradition. I'm planning on playing this weekend.

Tried the demo. First lycan came running up on me. Turned off the demo.

Don't need that type of scare in my life
Yep, those Lycans are pretty horrifying, especially in VR. You get a real good sense of how big they are. Although that's nothing compared to Lady chasing you around the castle. Noped right the fuck back the Duke to cry!

Imtjnotu

Yep, those Lycans are pretty horrifying, especially in VR. You get a real good sense of how big they are. Although that's nothing compared to Lady chasing you around the castle. Noped right the fuck back the Duke to cry!
I got scared as fuck in Pavlov when I tried the zombies

RoboFu

One of the green rats
All these click bait titles. A MASSIVE VR UPGRADE… from psvr re vii…

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So awesome to see more high caliber games like this in VR, here's hoping they become more common than previously (but indies are cool too, you lot have been missing out). 60fps is kind of weird though, you'd think they can push for 90 between optimizations and dynamic foveated rendering.

But why pretend they can mainly only compare to PSVR just to spew adverhype? Really, you couldn't fathom how an action adventure/fps like this could possibly work well in VR and weren't sure how the gameplay could translate well, like it hasn't been done, not only in general with plenty other games but also RE itself with RE4 VR (not to mention the VR mods of RE2, 3, 7 & 8 which while obviously being far more janky also showed the games could very naturally be adapted paving the way for Capcom to do it properly what with having access to the source and everything)? Come on...

Last edited:
Top Bottom