• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

ActWan

Just passed mission 7 and the level design in this game is some of the best I've ever seen. That stage was just pure genius. Bravo Arkane, bravo.

Hale-XF11

Just passed mission 7 and the level design in this game is some of the best I've ever seen. That stage was just pure genius. Bravo Arkane, bravo.

Makes me wish I could play this game like it's the first time all over again. Games that feel that satisfying to play are so rare. Sooooo glad we're getting another game soon.

Dmax3901

So I got this at launch but my PC couldn't brute force its way through the issues. Just got a 1080ti and so decided to start from scratch. It's such a relief to play this without worrying about graphics or fps.

That said, I kinda don't like the high/low chaos system. It takes me out of it when I'm trying to immerse myself in the role of this dishonoured (ha) Empress but every situation I'm thinking oh I shouldn't kill anyone or I'll get a bad ending.

Like I don't wanna commit to a no-kill, all-stealth run and I've already killed people, but then there are certain situations where I feel like this empress would want to kill people. On top of this is the fact that with the big targets, often not killing them is the more interesting option, gameplay-wise.

Basically, there are all kinds of conflicting things going through my head moment to moment which is disrupting my immersion and ability to just go with the flow.

Any tips?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So I got this at launch but my PC couldn't brute force its way through the issues. Just got a 1080ti and so decided to start from scratch. It's such a relief to play this without worrying about graphics or fps.

That said, I kinda don't like the high/low chaos system. It takes me out of it when I'm trying to immerse myself in the role of this dishonoured (ha) Empress but every situation I'm thinking oh I shouldn't kill anyone or I'll get a bad ending.

Like I don't wanna commit to a no-kill, all-stealth run and I've already killed people, but then there are certain situations where I feel like this empress would want to kill people. On top of this is the fact that with the big targets, often not killing them is the more interesting option, gameplay-wise.

Basically, there are all kinds of conflicting things going through my head moment to moment which is disrupting my immersion and ability to just go with the flow.

Any tips?

I wouldn't worry about the ending and just play as you perceive the character would. The endings aren't anything to write home about. It's the 'journey' and all that.

Really though, the mechanic is pretty cool. Levels change according to your behaviour, something only a video game can do. The game literally reacts and reflects your decisions, so it's more interesting to play as you would decide to see to see how that turns out. Who wouldn't want that? :) Doesn't help, I know.

To actually answer your question: You can kill people and still get the 'good' ending. NPCs have, I believe, a hidden 'karma' value. Killing bad ones won't net you too many bad points; killing the good ones will. You can tell who has been naughty and who has been nice by using the Heart to hear their deepest secrets.

On top of that, there are a myriad of non-lethal options for you to go nuts with if you're really concerned about the ending.

Also: no-kill/all-stealth is the best run ;)

Dmax3901

I wouldn't worry about the ending and just play as you perceive the character would. The endings aren't anything to write home about. It's the 'journey' and all that.

Really though, the mechanic is pretty cool. Levels change according to your behaviour, something only a video game can do. The game literally reacts and reflects your decisions, so it's more interesting to play as you would decide to see to see how that turns out. Who wouldn't want that? :) Doesn't help, I know.

To actually answer your question: You can kill people and still get the 'good' ending. NPCs have, I believe, a hidden 'karma' value. Killing bad ones won't net you too many bad points; killing the good ones will. You can tell who has been naughty and who has been nice by using the Heart to hear their deepest secrets.

On top of that, there are a myriad of non-lethal options for you to go nuts with if you're really concerned about the ending.

Also: no-kill/all-stealth is the best run ;)

Thanks for this. I did know about the heart but I didn't realise it actually had an effect on chaos! That's really cool.

Coreda

All good. :)

Basically, you can stab anyone who has mean thoughts and you should be alright.

The funny thing is, from what I've read the heart changes what it tells you depending on your chaos level. So low chaos tells you bad things, while high chaos tells you good things.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The funny thing is, from what I've read the heart changes what it tells you depending on your chaos level. So low chaos tells you bad things, while high chaos tells you good things.

I think it changes in the sense that it comments on you. 'This is a den of thieves and cutthroats... aren't you becoming one of them?', stuff like that.

I mean I could be wrong, but I thought the function of the Heart in D2 was to allow you to know who you could or shouldn't whack to get a Low Chaos ending.

New Game+ is crap in this game.

I mean, i've collected all runes and bonecharms during my first 100% stealth, non-lethal and no powers playthrough, bought every upgrade available and yet I need to buy and find all this (except blueprints) all over again in NG+. Why?! Why couldn't i just get all runes i've collected and unlock the powers I need, why can't I have all my upgrades right at the start of the first real mission? Even the money I had is not transfered. Fuck. That's just annoying as hell :(

Update:

Okay, so apparently you can get all your spent runes back but only if you invested them into skills (same goes for bonecharms if you sacrificed them), but why it has to be this way? Is so stupid! And now to trully expirience NG+ I need to beat the game one more time and collect all runes and bonecharms yet again! REALLY!? Arkane?! Uh....

shiba5

Sändersson;249083466 said:
How did you guys deal with the contracts in the specter club in death of the outsider? I just cant find a feasible way of dealing with em.

The missing brother is upstairs at the end of a long hallway. Reverse the machine he's hooked up to and carry him out.
I got lucky with the bartender and he separated from the others and I was able to grab him.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Got a quick question about Chapter 8, the Grand Palace:

If I bring Luca Abele to his double for the swapping plot, can I still kill the real one? I'd be fine with having the double as Emily's vassal, but I really want to kill that asshole of a duke. I figured there might be a way to get both, like, "oops an horrible assassin took out the double, thank you for your service to his Grade!" kind of thing...

Taffer

Got a quick question about Chapter 8, the Grand Palace:

If I bring Luca Abele to his double for the swapping plot, can I still kill the real one? I'd be fine with having the double as Emily's vassal, but I really want to kill that asshole of a duke. I figured there might be a way to get both, like, "oops an horrible assassin took out the double, thank you for your service to his Grade!" kind of thing...

Nope! There's no third way and the game removes him once you choose the swap option so you can't go stab him up afterwards. You can interfere with the cutscene which removes him but if he dies your journal will change to show you chose the lethal route.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nope! There's no third way and the game removes him once you choose the swap option so you can't go stab him up afterwards. You can interfere with the cutscene which removes him but if he dies your journal will change to show you chose the lethal route.

Ah, dammit. :( Thanks.

Guess he's gonna die. Fuck that douche.

Mohonky

Anyone else run into issues with a gamepad on this game on PC?

Using a 360 controller and it's giving me the shits. First was the whole 'switch between Keyboard promts to Xbox pad prompt' crap which I fixed. But now the game has this weird issue where occasionally movement just stops or stutters. It's not really like a micro stutter I expect with frame pacing etc, but when pushing in a direction to walk its like I walk then sort of stop, then start again and then stop and start. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's damned annoying to be moving around and it's like my commands are being interrupted periodically.

Filben

Anyone else run into issues with a gamepad on this game on PC?

Using a 360 controller and it's giving me the shits. First was the whole 'switch between Keyboard promts to Xbox pad prompt' crap which I fixed. But now the game has this weird issue where occasionally movement just stops or stutters. It's not really like a micro stutter I expect with frame pacing etc, but when pushing in a direction to walk its like I walk then sort of stop, then start again and then stop and start. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's damned annoying to be moving around and it's like my commands are being interrupted periodically.
Did you try a different pad with D2? Also, do you have any of those controller options activated via Steam that might interfere with the game?

I played it with the XOne pad and had no issues. Your description sounds like something is interfering, any mouse software? Wireless mouse that keeps sending a minimal signal making the game switch back and forth? Did the issue occur from the start or was there a time when it worked?

Mohonky

It's always been like this I'm afraid. It seems to happen most when there are a lot of objects around me. It sort of like I start walking forward, and I get the occasional stutter like I have let the stick off then pushed it again.

The game has always been weird with the controller, I had the issue earlier when I was playing the game it would randomly show up with keyboard prompts instead of the Xbox pad prompts, like Press F rather than X. I did manage to fix that but maybe there is something going on in the back end that is flipping between then randomly, but it only effects walking, never looking around etc.

This is with a genuine Xbox360 wireless + wireless receiver. Maybe I should try my Switch Pro controller over Bluetooth. I just don't want to upset the game too much because it was a pain just getting the game to recognise the correct button prompts without flicking back to keyboard and mouse randomly, but that might also be part of the issue.

Filben

Maybe I should try my Switch Pro controller over Bluetooth.
You should do that, or try to borrow a XOne pad, just to make sure the game doesn't have a problem with any pad per se. I used my 360 pad with Dishonored 1 without issues but haven't used since D2 and when I got my XOne pad.

From your description it seems like the game, for whatever reason, stops to recognise the pad, hence the keyboard prompts instead of controller. Just to make sure: everything's up to date? Graphics drivers, Windows, gamepad drivers, the game itself (file integrity checked? re-installed? I can imagine that you don't want to do that after getting it run properly in the first place, but, on the other hand, Dishonored 2 is, despite the frame pacing issues, a pretty stable game, and should not need any workarounds. It's a shame you ran into these issues.)

Also, did you, at some point, installed any other drivers for the 360 pad? Do you use any third party software like DS4 that could run in the background? Maybe you could try to uninstall everything controller related and start from scratch. The game itself supports it.

Mohonky

You should do that, or try to borrow a XOne pad, just to make sure the game doesn't have a problem with any pad per se. I used my 360 pad with Dishonored 1 without issues but haven't used since D2 and when I got my XOne pad.

From your description it seems like the game, for whatever reason, stops to recognise the pad, hence the keyboard prompts instead of controller. Just to make sure: everything's up to date? Graphics drivers, Windows, gamepad drivers, the game itself (file integrity checked? re-installed? I can imagine that you don't want to do that after getting it run properly in the first place, but, on the other hand, Dishonored 2 is, despite the frame pacing issues, a pretty stable game, and should not need any workarounds. It's a shame you ran into these issues.)

Also, did you, at some point, installed any other drivers for the 360 pad? Do you use any third party software like DS4 that could run in the background? Maybe you could try to uninstall everything controller related and start from scratch. The game itself supports it.

Yeh never had a problem with Dishonored on a pad either.

The issue with the keypad prompts switching between pad and keyboard is a known issue. Googling it brings up quite a lot of responses. I have fixed the error and it's never come up again (I can't recall what exactly, that fix entailed as I installed this awhile ago but only now got round to playing it through).

Drivers are up to date as well as integtrity.

I don't recall ever installing any other pad drivers except when I connected my Switch Pro controller up, but then I don't recall whether this was happening before either.

Maybe I do need to do a clean install and see what happens.

Top Bottom