• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 |OT| The Edge of the World

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm reading around that the witches' gravehounds do not count against the kill count if you kill them, is that correct?

To expand on what Gonzo said, only human deaths are considered kills. Note that this includes bloodfly nest keepers (the infected humans that occupy some bloodfly-infested areas).

You're talking nonsense. I pretty much agree with the write up you quoted.

I just beat the game and honestly I don't feel like it deserves a long write up. Basically, this game has almost the opposite problem of Mankind Divided. In that game stealth is clearly the main focus, while they've tried to make straight up shooting more enjoyable, it's clear that the game is meant to be played stealth. Dis2 is an action game that attempts to give you the option of "stealth" but teases you at every corner to be as violent as possible. The majority of powers are all lethal powers, some might allow you to kill silently, but you are still killing nonetheless.

I played as Emily because it was the only character that made narrative sense to play as and her Far Reach is just the worst thing ever when compared to Corvo's Blink. Just lay down and kill yourself if you actually want to get her to grapple where you want to instead of launching 10ft into the air, grabbing something else, or just grabbing thin air. The levels themselves have interesting concepts but are executed poorly, especially coming from a stealth playthrough angle. I also despise the fact that there is no "safe" hub, no matter what, no matter where in a city there are, no matter how many civilians are present, the guards always come after you for some reason.

Of course, the biggest crime of the game is its story, thought saying that implies it actually has one. There is no story, they just took the plot from the same game and did it again to lazily provide some sort of context for your murders. I typically never skip cutscenes in a game, even games with terrible stories, but I had to in this game because everything about it was so bad even down to the voice acting. I see no reason to get into details as we all know the story is trash. But, I just want to counter your first point, that these people "deserved" to be murdered. Tell me, what exactly did they do besides overthrow your rule?

The fact that they were able to initiate such a massive coup such that EVERY guard and soldier within your kingdom is completely fine with this change of power reveals that perhaps Emily was a shit ruler. At least in the first game the conspirators were also terrible human beings, you know rapists and what not. The antagonists in Dis2 are not shown to be horrible people, they just didn't like Emily and worshiped Delilah. How does that make them deserve receiving a lobotomy?

Game was just pure trash to me and the idea that individuals believe it to be on par with Mankind Divided baffles me. MD's only real sin was that it ended just as things got interesting and could have used more hubs. Dis2 is just endless trash.

Dis1 is one of my favorites of all time. I played Dis2 as Emily for the same narrative reasons and was so overwhelmingly disappointed that I uninstalled after completion.

The game has some super clever mechanics and level design. The art style is gorgeous.

The story and characterizations of already well established characters is an insult. The plot is Brigmore Witches 2: Left Overs.

There are a ton of problems in the gameplay, but I agree on Far Reach. It's pure crap and doesn't do what you want. It got me killed so many times. I almost restarted as Corvo cuz of it.

SJRB

I don't understand the complaints about Far Reach. I never have any issues with it not taking me where I want to go.

If you stand still, it takes you to the exact location you're pointing at. If you're moving, it uses your locomotion to propell you forward, like a slingshot. What's the problem?

I don't understand the complaints about Far Reach. I never have any issues with it not taking me where I want to go.

If you stand still, it takes you to the exact location you're pointing at. If you're moving, it uses your locomotion to propell you forward, like a slingshot. What's the problem?
It definitely feels more finicky than Blink (or at least Blink in DH1). I've never had it do something completely crazy, but enough times it was just off enough to make me sigh and have to reload a save. Going full stealth requires being very precise sometimes, and stringing together precise moves rapidly. I've never felt comfortable doing that with Far Reach without a quicksave first...

It can be demonstrably innacurate. I'm sure play style is a big factor, but it was constantly impeding my progress and creativity in a given moment.

I actually spent an hour playing with it and could easily tell some environments weren't optimized for it at all.

It also tries to be smart and aid your aiming, but this can lead you to grabbing what you aren't aiming at. Compared to blink it's a mess.

It can be demonstrably innacurate. I'm sure play style is a big factor, but it was constantly impeding my progress and creativity in a given moment.

I actually spent an hour playing with it and could easily tell some environments weren't optimized for it at all.

It also tries to be smart and aid your aiming, but this can lead you to grabbing what you aren't aiming at. Compared to blink it's a mess.

Played as Corvo first, then wanted to play around with Emily's powers.

All I can say is, thank god for New Game Plus letting me use both Blink and Far Reach.

Just started my 2nd playthrough with Emily. Going full chaos on this one and its so much more fun already, I havent even gotten powers yet.

Anyway, whats the best powers for Emily to invest it out of the gate?

Anno

Just started my 2nd playthrough with Emily. Going full chaos on this one and its so much more fun already, I havent even gotten powers yet.

Domino is probably the best ability to go for early. It's good at everything and just fun. Pumping a few points into upgrading Far Reach to pull people/items is probably worth it as well.

Domino is probably the best ability to go for early. It's good at everything and just fun. Pumping a few points into upgrading Far Reach to pull people/items is probably worth it as well.

Domino + Far reach ended up having a lot of unintended consequences with bodies flying all over :lol

Anno

Domino + Far reach ended up having a lot of unintended consequences with bodies flying all over :lol

That's a lot of fun in full chaos though! Especially if you pull one past you, throw a razor mine thing on the body as it goes by and falls down into some more people.

I'm on my second playthrough as Emily and I was disappointed with Far Reach at first since it's not Blink, but after a while I realized it's awesome as long as your not trying to ghost the level or be a mana miser. Domino and watch 4 witches fly into the air, then casually walk up and knock one out. It's completely OP against guards as well if you are playing lethal (or like me make a 4X Strong Arms charm), since you can stay just out of reach of their swords but not so far that they pull out the gun, and yank them over one by one to choke/stab them. Blink is better as pure locomotion but Far Reach is a better all-around power. But if you're trying to ghost the level Blink is pretty much a necessity.

I'm really enjoying the game. Once I adjusted to Emily being different, the levels play out differently even though I know what to do and where the enemies are.

I'm a big fan of fully upgraded Far Reach (see above) and Domino. Domino makes some sequences trivially easy though. Shadow Walk is similar to Possession IMO, situationally useful but your not going to use it all the time. I haven't used Mesmerize or Doppelganger much since Domino is so strong, but Doppelganger would probably be useful if you're going high chaos.

SliChillax

You're talking nonsense. I pretty much agree with the write up you quoted.

I just beat the game and honestly I don't feel like it deserves a long write up. Basically, this game has almost the opposite problem of Mankind Divided. In that game stealth is clearly the main focus, while they've tried to make straight up shooting more enjoyable, it's clear that the game is meant to be played stealth. Dis2 is an action game that attempts to give you the option of "stealth" but teases you at every corner to be as violent as possible. The majority of powers are all lethal powers, some might allow you to kill silently, but you are still killing nonetheless.

I played as Emily because it was the only character that made narrative sense to play as and her Far Reach is just the worst thing ever when compared to Corvo's Blink. Just lay down and kill yourself if you actually want to get her to grapple where you want to instead of launching 10ft into the air, grabbing something else, or just grabbing thin air. The levels themselves have interesting concepts but are executed poorly, especially coming from a stealth playthrough angle. I also despise the fact that there is no "safe" hub, no matter what, no matter where in a city there are, no matter how many civilians are present, the guards always come after you for some reason.

Of course, the biggest crime of the game is its story, thought saying that implies it actually has one. There is no story, they just took the plot from the same game and did it again to lazily provide some sort of context for your murders. I typically never skip cutscenes in a game, even games with terrible stories, but I had to in this game because everything about it was so bad even down to the voice acting. I see no reason to get into details as we all know the story is trash. But, I just want to counter your first point, that these people "deserved" to be murdered. Tell me, what exactly did they do besides overthrow your rule?

The fact that they were able to initiate such a massive coup such that EVERY guard and soldier within your kingdom is completely fine with this change of power reveals that perhaps Emily was a shit ruler. At least in the first game the conspirators were also terrible human beings, you know rapists and what not. The antagonists in Dis2 are not shown to be horrible people, they just didn't like Emily and worshiped Delilah. How does that make them deserve receiving a lobotomy?

Game was just pure trash to me and the idea that individuals believe it to be on par with Mankind Divided baffles me. MD's only real sin was that it ended just as things got interesting and could have used more hubs. Dis2 is just endless trash.

I came to this thread to rant about the game but you said everything that I was going to say, maybe even better. I can't get myself to finish it and it baffles me because that happens so rarely for me, last one being MSG V. I really enjoyed Dishonored 1 when it came out, played it numerous times and enjoyed the definitive edition. Dishonored 2 does nothing for me.

BraXzy

I'm still slowly playing through this game on a no kill run, I'm on mission 6... and yet again I check my stats and I have a couple kills... Even though I have definitely only choked people out and have run around checking bodies.

This has happened almost every mission and it is frustrating the hell out of me. Kills my motivation to play dead each time. Kinda regretting doing a no kill run first time but I'm over halfway with it so I don't want to give up now.

I'm still slowly playing through this game on a no kill run, I'm on mission 6... and yet again I check my stats and I have a couple kills... Even though I have definitely only choked people out and have run around checking bodies.

This has happened almost every mission and it is frustrating the hell out of me. Kills my motivation to play dead each time. Kinda regretting doing a no kill run first time but I'm over halfway with it so I don't want to give up now.

This is what I tried to do on my first run and its a slog IMO.

Same thing. I stash bodies in places where they shouldnt die, but there was always one or two that end up dying.

On Crack in the Slab, I knocked out a civilian and tried to throw them into a bathtub. Their body hit one of those privacy screen and it exploded into a million pieces and killed the civilian....for some reason.

I really like this game but the design feels at odds sometimes. Most of the powers are much more useful for killing guards than knocking them out and overall the gameplay feels like it flows better when you arent worried about keeping guards alive, but the high chaos endings are the bad ones.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
On Crack in the Slab, I knocked out a civilian and tried to throw them into a bathtub. Their body hit one of those privacy screen and it exploded into a million pieces and killed the civilian....for some reason.

It's a little-known fact that Serkonan wicker is both explosive and highly toxic. They keep using it because of a very strong "Buy local" lobby, though.

I really like this game but the design feels at odds sometimes. Most of the powers are much more useful for killing guards than knocking them out and overall the gameplay feels like it flows better when you arent worried about keeping guards alive, but the high chaos endings are the bad ones.

I've seen a few people say this but I don't really get it. Yeah there are a few that are only useful for killing but most of them are good for stealth and/or defense too. Also you can kill some folks and still get low chaos. I think as long as you're not killing every single guard/witch/thug you can still get low chaos.

Got the platinum tonight, had finished my first playthrough 2-3 weeks ago and finally went through a second time, no kills low chaos ghost as corvo. It still seemed to take a crazy long amount of time, until I stopped trying to get every charm/painting/blueprint/etc, those really suck up a lot of time and are pretty pointless on a no power run.

The circle of life trophy is tough if you don't plan ahead, while I only had to do two playthroughs (emily high chaos, wanton death; corvo ghost stealth no kills no power) I had to run as corvo on a third NG+ to get that final trophy in mission 3. Most people do it in mission 5 but you can do it in mission 3 in the kennel area, still took an hour of fiddling to get it. Probably the most frustrating trophy, and really that ability feels like junk tier anyways. Similar to Dis1, most of the powers don't seem that useful compared to just plain darts and stun mines.

I really enjoyed the game, I thought missions 1-8 were really fantastic, not a huge fan of the ending or the final mission but I guess it wrapped up the story. I kinda wanted something... more, but I enjoyed everything else enough. The people making the point about how the game feels designed for stealth but its way more fun to just rampage as a killer are totally right. No power mode felt really handicapped, i would definitely NOT recommend that be your first run.

I hope they incorporate the game into AGDQ speed runs, I've seen 1 hour speed runs of the entire game and thats really cool. Especially compared to my 40+ hour completion for a single run, haha.

Bydobob

Got the platinum tonight, had finished my first playthrough 2-3 weeks ago and finally went through a second time, no kills low chaos ghost as corvo. It still seemed to take a crazy long amount of time, until I stopped trying to get every charm/painting/blueprint/etc, those really suck up a lot of time and are pretty pointless on a no power run.

Good effort. I always tried to get the ghostly achievement but never quite made it through a level without detection. Always a hasty decision proving my downfall.

I feel I'm going to have to do a high chaos run next time. So many destructive tools at my disposal that I never really got to use. I also made a mistake unlocking every ability without maxing anything out. Fantastic game though whatever path you choose. Clockwork Mansion is one of the most memorable levels I think I've ever played.

Philia

Fuck
I should had not robbed the black market dealer.
Another kill, from Chapter 4 no less. I did that run PERFECTLY too. Ghost and all. Unless it was just a dumb glitch. :\

Good effort. I always tried to get the ghostly achievement but never quite made it through a level without detection. Always a hasty decision proving my downfall.

If you have the patience for it, an easy way to get the ghostly achievement is to
solve the Jindosh puzzle on your own. There's only 6 guards you have to get by at the beginning of the level, and you can easily get past the guards or take them out undetected thanks to the dust storms (also super-easy if you have Domino). 2-3 minutes into the level and you're at the lock, and just have to logic it out

Bydobob

If you have the patience for it, an easy way to get the ghostly achievement is to
solve the Jindosh puzzle on your own. There's only 6 guards you have to get by at the beginning of the level, and you can easily get past the guards or take them out undetected thanks to the dust storms (also super-easy if you have Domino). 2-3 minutes into the level and you're at the lock, and just have to logic it out

Hmm, I tried figuring it out the first time and lasted maybe 20 minutes before running out of patience. Good call otherwise, those dust storms are easy to exploit.

Tunahead

I always do no kills by just not knocking anyone out ever because invariably they'll be devoured by local fauna or pushed spine-first into the ceiling by a roaming herd of physics anomalies or drowned by a puddle that was adjacent to their foot.

I think it's because Blink is a very basic point-and-click teleport ability, but Far Reach makes you fly to your destination and preserves momentum so it's more involved. It's real easy to overshoot your target if you use Far Reach while running and jumping.

If you upgrade them fully, the mobility difference is even more dramatic. Blink stops time and you can spend as long as you want aiming and nobody can say anything about it even if they're very tall and birdlike or their skelington is on fire. Far Reach makes dudes and their stuff launch themselves directly at your face just as you wish you were making a rapid getaway.

I think Far Reach is definitely the more elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Ricker

Clockwork Tower...awesome design and all but the soldiers are a pain in the ass...I managed to destroy a few but
I couldnt for the life of me get rid of the 2 in the last room where you can eletric chair Jindosh...I had him on the chair but then pulling the switch said not enough power etc etc so I said fuck it and killed him...even with the rewire tools,getting the square to appear to hack the Clock soldiers was like 1/4 second delay...could not see how to take their head off either,3 hits from them and Emily is dead...thank god I am out of there.

BraXzy

Had a bit of a funny / god damn it moment yesterday. I had a quick save just before an area where overseers were about to kill some civilians. The whole area surrounded by more Oversers. I decided I'd try and save them while taking the overseers out (non lethal run).

The first few tries either an overseer accidentally died, or a grenade caught me or annoyingly the civilians fled into the arms of sword wielding overseers. Finally I managed to take everyone out, the civilians were saved and I dropped them at the edge of the area... only for a couple bloodflies to come and insta-kill them before I could realise -.-

(I managed it in the end)

Clockwork Tower...awesome design and all but the soldiers are a pain in the ass...I managed to destroy a few but
I couldnt for the life of me get rid of the 2 in the last room where you can eletric chair Jindosh...I had him on the chair but then pulling the switch said not enough power etc etc so I said fuck it and killed him...even with the rewire tools,getting the square to appear to hack the Clock soldiers was like 1/4 second delay...could not see how to take their head off either,3 hits from them and Emily is dead...thank god I am out of there.

Best way to take out the clockworks is with a drop assassination. It'll remove their heads, which makes them rely on sound (meaning they'll attack anything at this point). A second drop assassination will finish them off, or you can just let them fight each other.

Alternatively, just shoot the back wooden panel with your gun a few times and kill the mini oil tank there.

They're not too bad once you learn the tricks. Definitely don't just attack them head on.

Toa Axis

Best way to take out the clockworks is with a drop assassination. It'll remove their heads, which makes them rely on sound (meaning they'll attack anything at this point). A second drop assassination will finish them off, or you can just let them fight each other.

Alternatively, just shoot the back wooden panel with your gun a few times and kill the mini oil tank there.

They're not too bad once you learn the tricks. Definitely don't just attack them head on.
They'll also tucker out if you shoot off all of their arms, I believe.

I'm on the last level of the game, and wow what a game it has been. It's an improvement on the first in almost every way, with the unfortunate exception of the central narrative (which is amazing considering the first game wasn't great in that regard). The level design is wonderful, with The Clockwork Mansion and A Crack in the Slab being the obvious standouts, and the increased non-lethal toolset is a huuuuuge blessing.

As an aside, this last level has been pretty difficult for me. I don't remember the Witches being this tough in D1's DLC, but they mean business is a direct fight here.

A fully upgraded stun mine will kill them. What I did on my first playthrough was abuse the whale oil tanks scattered across the level. Drop them in their path, explode them with an arrow and it knocks of their armor. Then shoot off their arms or the back tank.

Second playthrough I just shoot their heads off and snuck by them. If they don't see you, two arrows to the head will knock their heads off (one if you have the right bone charms).

SomTervo

Onto the last level now.

Phenomenal game. Near 10/10 for me.

Crack in the Slab was one of the greatest levels of anything I've ever played. The one after (the
Palace
) was so properly old school, it was like 1999-era spacious levels with too many stories and nooks and crannies and rooms.

The only problem is my time is tight so I'm going low-chaos high-alerts. It hampers the experience a but rushing through KOing everything in sight - my style is ghosting usually.

But now there's New Game + I can't wait to get all my abilities up to crazy max.

Also can't wait to replay without any powers. It'll be crazy.

Ricker

Thanks for the clockwork soldier tips guys..it was just bugging me leaving stuff the way I did so i loaded an auto save and made it this time...I am high chaos with Emily but I wanted to do this the other way lol...I will try and do a full stealth mode with Corvo...

And yes the game is awesome...first time I saw a certain type of ennemy from afar,
I thought it was a Rune or Bonecharm lol,I Far reached for it and jumped lol.(the hellhound type dogs)

SlickVic

Finally finished up Dishonored 1 and the 2 DLC episodes this past weekend, so definitely looking forward to diving into Dishonored 2 soon.

Really liking there's custom difficulty settings now. Anyone know if that affects earning trophies in any way? Reading up on it online it doesn't look like it, but just wanted to make sure.

Finally finished up Dishonored 1 and the 2 DLC episodes this past weekend, so definitely looking forward to diving into Dishonored 2 soon.

Really liking there's custom difficulty settings now. Anyone know if that affects earning trophies in any way? Reading up on it online it doesn't look like it, but just wanted to make sure.

Using custom difficulty settings will not affect trophies/achievements in any way.

SomTervo

Thanks for the clockwork soldier tips guys..it was just bugging me leaving stuff the way I did so i loaded an auto save and made it this time...I am high chaos with Emily but I wanted to do this the other way lol...I will try and do a full stealth mode with Corvo...

And yes the game is awesome...first time I saw a certain type of ennemy from afar,
I thought it was a Rune or Bonecharm lol,I Far reached for it and jumped lol.(the hellhound type dogs)

Honestly just
head shot the clockwork soldiers
from afar with your crossbow. It might take two. Especially if you're playing high chaos. Do this and they'll immediately
kill everyone else in the vicinity
, while you can just Far Reach past them.

It's funny you were having difficulty with them, because I was too until I started doing this, and now they're actually so easy it's disappointing. Like broken-balance easy.

So where that DLC news at. I desperately want to play more Dishonored, but after nearly 100 hours of D2 and about 7 playthroughs I need something new.

So where that DLC news at. I desperately want to play more Dishonored, but after nearly 100 hours of D2 and about 7 playthroughs I need something new.

It's been 3 months since D2 released. IIRC, Knife of Dunwall wasn't announced until 5 months after D1's release (Then again, that might because of Dunwall City Trials release).

It might be a little while till we hear anything about D2's DLC. Though it's possible they don't want to steal the spotlight from Prey (Since its only 3 months away)

Catdaddy

Finished a low chaos run with Emily and hopped back in to do a NG+ high chaos stealthyrun with Emily and was so much more fun carrying over all the runes and unlocking all of Corvo’s abilities. I finished that and now going for another NG+ with Corvo and more direct approach to combat.

I just started my NG++, but I loaded the NG+ off my existing one, so I’m assuming I’ll have all the runes from the NG+? I’m not yet into Chapter 2 and probably won’t get to play until the weekend…

SomTervo

I started my NG+ playthrough as Emily (probably still keep many of Corvo's abilities though) and I've also started a New Game on Ironman Mode with Zero powers.

Zero powers and save-erasure on death is fucking intense!

It's amazing! I recommend it to anyone. Suddenly heights become a real threat. More than one enemy at a time is too risky.

Everything becomes scary! Brilliant contrast to the usual "I'm a superhero" Dishonored vibe!

SomTervo

Laggard double post:

I just died in my Ironman No-powers playthrough.

I was only an hour in. It's no big shakes. I got through the opening, through Dunwall, through the harbour in Edge of the World... Then I got to the first really big playspace. You know the big Karnaka canal space with City Guard on one side and Overseers on the other.

I was spotted by a guard next to the bloodfly-ridden building. No big shakes. I slay him and three more come. I handle one more before deciding I was overwhelmed, so I peg it, climbing up into the bloodfly building. I sit and listen with glee as the guards inadvertently get a bloodfly swarm on them and are eaten alive.

I hop down, kill the bloodflies, loot the guards' bodies. I strut around feeling invincible, like I own the place. I didn't take a single hit in the fight.

Then an overseer spots me. Feeling like a badass I decide to face him. He comes running over. I block his first attack, just missing the parry window thanks to his unique attack animation (that I realise I'd never seen before).

Then he pulls his pistol out. I realise this was a mistake. Being a No-powers playthrough I don't have the ability to block projectiles with my sword. I hold the blade up like a wimp and take the bullet right in the chest. I quickly down a Health Elixir and press in to close the guy's follow up attacks off. But he spins into a new attack - another I haven't seen before - making me mistime my block, and he handily decapitates me.

Holy shit!

I wish I could have like a save per level so that I could get back to where I was at least./ It won't take long to start a new game and run back to where I was, but I know i'll miss out on loads of loot and goodies that would make it all easier.

Just finished my first playthrough of the game.

Emily / Clean Hands / Shadow

I really, really loved it. It's rare that I beat a game and immediately start plying it again. I did that with Resident Evil 4. I did that with Bloodborne. Now I'm doing it with Dishonored 2.

It's not perfect - particularly the story - but this happens a lot with games like Dishonored. The characters are really interesting, the world is really well-developed, the lore and history are deep and complex, but they never coalesce into the excellent narrative it could be. Lots of games have this problem. They have so many scraps of a great story that ends up more fun to think about after the fact than it is to actually play. It's a great story terribly told. So, so much for that. There are lots of things I would have done differently in that regard.

I'm replaying now as Corvo / High Chaos / No Powers and it's actually really hard. I miss the movement more than anything else. I only used Far Reach / Dark Vision / Domino on my first run, so I'm not reliant on powers, but not being able to slingshot myself across the map is tough. But it's cool to play completely combat-oriented. Combat is hard - you die very easily - so you've got to keep eyes on everyone.

I'm very confused with people's gripes with Far Reach. I like it much more than Blink. The only time it was annoying was not being able to easily Far Reach back to ground level from lots of heights, but you learn to manage it. I strongly prefer Far Reach to Blink now that I've spent so long with Emily's powers.

I do have a question regarding the musician duo though: I got to the first musical performance in Chapter 2 and they're not playing. One is smoking a cigar and the other is sitting on a bench. Why aren't they playing? Do they not play on High Chaos?

So I finally finished 2 playthroughs as well as the original DLC. First as Corvo with no killing, second as Emily mostly stealth but some killing if it was convenient. I think I'm ready to go for a third high chaos run and mix Emily and Corvos powers, but may take a break to work on other games in my backlog (Last Guardian is calling to me).

It was a lot of fun, the last time I replayed a game repeatedly like this was Dark Souls. The level design is fantastic and there is a ton of replayability since you can take different routes and use different tactics.

I didn't get the story complaints until I played the D1 DLC.
It is basically a rehash of the Brigmore Witches.
But hey, if you haven't played that yet it's going to be new to you.
But yeah it means that the correct ending in D2 is to kill Delilah since trapping her in a painting just means more trouble later.
That said I still don't have a problem with the story as it ties together the excellently designed levels.

I also really like the more forgiving Chaos system. Kill a few guards here and there and you still get low chaos. With the power that turns bodies to ash, if you're spotted by a single guard you can grab him with Far Reach and kill him instantly. It makes the occasional screw up much more tolerable as you don't have to run and hide or reload your game.

I played a bunch of the first game and didn't really want more of that so I have a question for those that have played the game as Emily without powers to see if Dishonored 2 will interest me any. Basically, does playing without powers feel like a handicap, or is it fleshed out to where it feels complete on its own merits? I ask because a disconnect I had with the first was just feeling overpowered relative to everyone else and it making the game feel like a bad power fantasy more than anything due to the powers. I was super time warping, rat possessing, teleporting assassin man against mostly mook guards who never even stood a remote chance even in the context of the world I'm in. So I didn't find that very satisfying and was wondering if playing as a non-powered Emily would actually be fun in that regard, if it feels like you have a complete arsenal at your disposal without all The Darkness powers.

Another thing I guess I'll ask is has the sword combat been improved from the first game? It was pretty stilted while grounded and felt random as to when an attack would be guarded or instantly kill or not, it just didn't leave me feeling like I had much control to where I would end up cheesing melee fights and opting to double jump in-place and perform an instant kill takedown instead.

I played a bunch of the first game and didn't really want more of that so I have a question for those that have played the game as Emily without powers to see if Dishonored 2 will interest me any. Basically, does playing without powers feel like a handicap, or is it fleshed out to where it feels complete on its own merits? I ask because a disconnect I had with the first was just feeling overpowered relative to everyone else and it making the game feel like a bad power fantasy more than anything due to the powers. I was super time warping, rat possessing, teleporting assassin man against mostly mook guards who never even stood a remote chance even in the context of the world I'm in. So I didn't find that very satisfying and was wondering if playing as a non-powered Emily would actually be fun in that regard, if it feels like you have a complete arsenal at your disposal without all The Darkness powers.

Another thing I guess I'll ask is has the sword combat been improved from the first game? It was pretty stilted while grounded and felt random as to when an attack would be guarded or instantly kill or not, it just didn't leave me feeling like I had much control to where I would end up cheesing melee fights and opting to double jump in-place and perform an instant kill takedown instead.

First and foremost, like it's predecessor, Dishonored 2 is a stealth game. Its appeal is largely making your way through its levels undetected. Or at least mostly undetected. Dishonored 1 gave you tools so you could fight back if you were caught, but none of these tools were supposed to carry you through the game. If you try to play Dishonored 1 like an action game, you will not have a good time. Even high-level Dishonored 1 play based on brutal and ruthless kill sprees are based on the idea of killing your opponents before they can even fight back.

Dishonored 2 handles this differently. As you observed, you have a larger non-magical kit. You have multiple kinds of bolts, multiple kinds of bullets, multiple grenades, mines, and various upgrades to these items to make them even more powerful. You absolutely can play Dishonored 2 like an action game and rampage from point A to point B with only your weapons to benefit you. It's a mode built right into the game and you can tell it was designed much more consciously than the Flesh and Steel trophy was in Dishonored 1. I am finding this to be much more satisfying and more fun than it ever was to get cornered in the first game.

But Flesh and Steel in Dishonored 2 doesn't give you any powers, including Blink/Far Reach. This was not the case in the first game, where you still had Blink. Not having these movement options changes the map significantly. There are some places, as far as I can tell, you simply cannot go without your powers. For example, I haven't figured out a way to turn off windmills without Blink/Far Reach to get to their power switches. In the second chapter, this means you can't turn off a lethal barrier, forcing you to take a long way around it. These movement limitations narrow your possible course of completion. Not by much, but when it does, you always notice. You will need to be prepared for that.

Swordplay is not much different. You still need to time a block and retaliate to get the kill. You certainly can try to swing your sword around until somebody's head comes off, but that's not really how the combat is designed. You are unlikely to get killed in one hit from a sword slash, but if you get shot in the head, you will die right away. But so will your enemies, so it's not unfair. It just requires as much precision on your end as theirs.

Crowd control requires you to use more than just your sword. You cannot really fight more than one enemy at a time with your sword, so you will need to dispatch the one closest to you and use a bolt or a bullet to kill somebody else. When you understand the limitations of combat and realize how many tools you're given to dispatch enemies, it becomes extremely fun and satisfying. In one encounter, you might kill five enemies five different ways. This is the appeal of Flesh and Steel in Dishonored 2.

This is at least my assessment.

Top Bottom