• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does a Celebrity's Politics effect your view of them?

I really don't care. If I like the art, I just like it. I'm a fan of musicians and actors in all sides of the spectrum. The same applies to religions, beliefs, etc. If I were to care about artists opinions I wouldn't be left eith much to listen to or watch. I don't like forced politics in media. But I'm all for freedom of speech and thought.

What about Michael Jackson? I cannot listen to his music without his accusations sitting in the back of my mind. And it does take enjoyment away from art for me. Same with Kevin Spacey.

lock2k

Banned
What about Michael Jackson? I cannot listen to his music without his accusations sitting in the back of my mind. And it does take enjoyment away from art for me. Same with Kevin Spacey.

I see MJ as a character when he singing. Like he turns into a different entity you know. But I understand your position completely and I respect it. But then again, I listen to Burzum and I love it (Varg Vikernes is a p.o.s. but I like his songs).

I could never listen to Lostprophets again though. What the singer did was heavy as fuck for me to tolerate it.

I see MJ as a character when he singing. Like he turns into a different entity you know. But I understand your position completely and I respect it. But then again, I listen to Burzum and I love it (Varg Vikernes is a p.o.s. but I like his songs).

I could never listen to Lostprophets again though. What the singer did was heavy as fuck for me to tolerate it.
Alright, I looked up Burzum, seen it was a Norwegian group and knew I was in for some shit. Cool name, like the origins. But hot damn, I was not ready for that with vikernes. Go big or go home I guess lol. I'll check out Mayhem, see what it's about.

Yeah, I feel you on lostprophets. To hell with that guy.

C4lukin2

Banned
It depends. I am a bit more to the right then many here. But if I were to take into account the politics of most of my favorite bands, and hate them for it I would be out of good music to listen to.

My username is a Pearl Jam reference. So that should tell you how much differing politics effect my ability to enjoy art.

But I remember an instance where I watched a documentary of liberal Hollywood stars, and they were working together to make positive change. And on one of their stops, was speaking to a Republican pundit who was payed to give them advice on how to communicate with the right. And while most of the people were completely receptive to the process, one went off on a rant, and messed up the whole thing.

His career has gone to shit. Not because of that experience, but because I imagine his inability to communicate and absorb things probably also leaks into every element of his life, and even on the set of films he works on.

So seeing that made me a little less excited about his work. But still if he is involved with something worth watching, I will not dent myself the experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom