• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Breaks Record - Fastest Console Ever to Sell 10 Million in Japan

I can't believe the smartasses citing the title because DS "isn't a console".

Just stop it. DS is the fastest selling game console/system/whatever in Japan. And there's nothing you can do about it. >:)

heidern

These sales are pretty impressive. In fact, it is even better than the ps2... in the USA. After 20 months in the US the ps2 was at 9.07M sold. In fact, ps2s best year was 2002. Up to the end of July it had sold YTD 2,916,607. That compares to the DS being 4,118,440 so far this year and going strong.

Looks like DS has is likely going to be around 30-40 million or more at the end of its life cycle.

cvxfreak

heidern said:
These sales are pretty impressive. In fact, it is even better than the ps2... in the USA. After 20 months in the US the ps2 was at 9.07M sold. In fact, ps2s best year was 2002. Up to the end of July it had sold YTD 2,916,607. That compares to the DS being 4,118,440 so far this year and going strong.

Looks like DS has is likely going to be around 30-40 million or more at the end of its life cycle.

How about GBA in the US?

heidern

cvxfreak said:
How about GBA in the US?

Yeah, the GBA in the US was awesome, it had stuff like Advance Wars and Golden Sun and Yoshi's Mother****ing Island.

Shhh, this is suppose to be a DS circle jerk

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chris Remo said:
How can anybody possibly contest the fact that the DS is a console? It's a handheld game console. "Handheld" and "portable" are adjectives, they're not nouns in their own right, we just use them to abbreviate "handheld console" or "portable console."

I figure the same way people tend to not call SSB a fighting game cause it's from Nintendo.

heidern said:

? Hell, I could see it doing 30-40 million in Japan period. I'm expecting it to end at 70 million, maybe more.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
pink-prints-more.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Odysseus said:
DS doesn't have to be a console, you know. PS3 isn't one, just ask Sony.
PS3 is not a games machine.

That one made me laugh. :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So you made about a 100K profit? Where did you get that $$ to buy so many shares?

yeah, i'm not sure i'd have had the nuts to drop nigh on $100k of savings onto one stock, no matter how confident i was that it was undervalued and that i'd make back double my cash.

AniHawk

reallyfun said:
but...but...i thought Nintendo was going third party...

It's really strange to see the turnaround Nintendo's enjoyed during the last two years. I still don't
want to
believe it.

It'll get bad again, right? Wii will fail hard... wont it?

Neomoto

What's scary to me is, that all this has been accomplished without a little game called Pokemon. Incredible.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Neomoto said:
What's scary to me is, that all this has been accomplished without a little game called Pokemon. Incredible.
And this is the mother ****ing truth right here. I don't care if you think the Gameboy's greatest title ever was Tetris or Link's Awakening - the Gameboy brought handheld gaming to a forefront when Game Freaks pumped out Pokemon.

It will be very interesting in a few months.

Rocked

Doom_Bringer said:
Fastest Console Ever to Sell 10 Million in Japan

if you would said handheld then no one would downplay anything but the fact is that DS is not a console it retails at a price significantly lower compared to the price of a console at launch

Terrible damage control. A handheld is a still a console, just a portable one.

Grampasso

Doom_Bringer said:
Fastest Console Ever to Sell 10 Million in Japan

if you would said handheld then no one would downplay anything but the fact is that DS is not a console it retails at a price significantly lower compared to the price of a console at launch

You're absolutely right!
PS2 is a Home Console
DS is a HandHeld Console
how can they be treated in the same way?
Oh wait... do they have something in common?

ziran

Reaching 10 million in Japan so quickly is amazing!

DS Lite in short supply and selling well in Taiwan
Nintendo DS Lite in tight supply despite increased output

Chen Yen-tien, Taipei; Steve Shen, DigiTimes.com [Tuesday 1 August 2006]

Sales of the Nintendo DS Lite have continued expanding at a rapid pace, with supply of the game consoles likely soon to fall short of demand despite Nintendo increasing production, according to sources at Taiwan-based Hakuyu, the sales agent for Nintendo in Taiwan.

To meet the rapid influx of orders coming the US and Europe, Nintendo managed to ramp up its shipments of the DS Lite to 2.2 million units in June, up from a monthly average of 700,000 units it shipped in the previous three months, the sources noted.

Overall, Nintendo has sold 4.15 million DS Lite units in the past four months since the console was launched in early March, said the sources.

In the Taiwan market, sales of the DS Lite reached 16,000 units in one month since Hakuyu began to sell the console at the end of June, the sources added.

By the end of June, Nintendo sold a total of 21.27 million DS-series consoles, including 9.24 million units sold in Japan and 5.9 million units in the US, according to data made available by Nintendo.
DS Lite in Taiwan reaching 16k in a month for a population ~23 million is pretty impressive.

2.2 million a month ain't gonna be enough.

Grampasso

ziran said:
Reaching 10 million in Japan so quickly is amazing!

DS Lite in Taiwan reaching 16k in a month for a population ~23 million is pretty impressive.

2.2 million a month ain't gonna be enough.
It all depends on how well will continue to sell in Europe and in the US. Due to pricepoint, I can see shortages possible in US (with DSL at 129$ the old model at the same price is just dead, and most people buying GBASP until now will seriously think about buying a DSL instead), not in Europe where it costs way more than the old model (36$ difference).
Anyway people could just go crazy and begin buying DS Lites no matter what (just like in Japan), so who knows...

EDIT: Wow, I'm a member now :°)))

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
cvxfreak said:
According to the article, the Shinbum reports that "about" ten games went platinum+.

1. ANIMAL CROSSING WILD WORLD
2. MORE BRAIN AGE
3. BRAIN AGE
4. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.
5. MARIO KART DS
6. BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
7. ENGLISH TRAINING DS
8. NINTENDOGS
9. TAMAGOTCHI CONNECTION: CORNER SHOP
10. WARIO WARE TOUCHED

Amazing that there are already ten 1m+ selling games on the DS.

If the DS total is at ~4.5m for this year and continues to sell on average 150k a week (conservative at this point given recent sales and new software), then between the months of August - November Nintendo could sell another ~2.5m, and possibly somewhere around ~2m for December (+early Jan?). So this year alone Nintendo have the possibility of selling nearly 10m DS in Japan 0_0 despite the severe shortages they suffered throughout the year. Crazy

Draft

cvxfreak said:
According to the article, the Shinbum reports that "about" ten games went platinum+.

1. ANIMAL CROSSING WILD WORLD
2. MORE BRAIN AGE
3. BRAIN AGE
4. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.
5. MARIO KART DS
6. BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
7. ENGLISH TRAINING DS
8. NINTENDOGS
9. TAMAGOTCHI CONNECTION: CORNER SHOP
10. WARIO WARE TOUCHED
I guess it's just too bad the only guys making money from it are Nintendo and Tamagotchi.

donny2112

ziran said:

By the end of June, Nintendo sold a total of 21.27 million DS-series consoles, including 9.24 million units sold in Japan and 5.9 million units in the US, according to data made available by Nintendo.

U.S. = North America ? That would mean ~ 700K for the rest of NA outside of the U.S. or 13% of the U.S. total. If that's the case, it's a lot higher than we've been seeing for just Canada.

donny2112 said:
U.S. = North America ? That would mean ~ 700K for the rest of NA outside of the U.S. or 13% of the U.S. total. If that's the case, it's a lot higher than we've been seeing for just Canada.

These are the shipments as of the end of June.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
donny2112 said:
Those are clearly shipment figures. As for sold through, I think 5.5m - 5.6m in NA is a great guess.

Edit: Frabkfurter already answered it.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
donny2112 said:
Ah! Thanks. :) The fact that Japanese shipments = sales doesn't help in distinguishing shipped #s from sold #s.
Actually I think the shipment figures are very close to the actual sold through. I think DS sales was at +20.5m at the end of June.

heidern

A Link to the Past said:
? Hell, I could see it doing 30-40 million in Japan period. I'm expecting it to end at 70 million, maybe more.
That's what I said, 30-40 million or more in Japan alone. 70 million in Japan alone would be a stretch though.

How about GBA in the US?
GBA in the US is still the champ, after 20 months it was 11,805,197. Although GBA benefited from the fact that it had a launch boost and 2 Christmases. For the DS, the launch boost was combined with it's first Christmas boost. Right no the DS is catching up to the US GBA and may very well overtake it this year since at the ~26 month point the December boost undo most if not all of the ~2M comparative lead the Japanese DS has.

sp0rsk said:
how fast was the fastest console to 10 mill before the ds
Something else could be even quicker (though I doubt it), but going by ioi's vgcharts.org, GBA hit 10M around week 111, while PS2 hit 10M around week 126. DS is doing it at week 87.

Top Bottom