• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

FrankT

MirageDwarf said:
After bringing plenty event related content in past, MS dropped balls big time this year.

Not sure what you are even talking about. Ton of videos up online. No demos yet but the week isn't done either. I know from Major's twitter they were working on demos to put up this week as well.

Jtyettis said:
Not sure what you are even talking about. Ton of videos up online. No demos yet but the week isn't done either. I know from Major's twitter they were working on demos to put up this week as well.

There was no formal BiH announcement about content this year so I thought we will get only one demo - LP2. Didn't know about twitter announcement.

LCfiner

Jtyettis said:

that's good to know. my one disappointment this year is lack of demos.

K' Dash

Jtyettis said:

Excelent.
If true.

Jtyettis said:

You sure? Can't find that tweet, went back to May 29th and saw no mention of any demos for live.
Only offering Natal demos to Celebs and talking about Natal demos.

FrankT

Zeouterlimits said:
You sure? Can't find that tweet, went back to May 29th and saw no mention of any demos for live.
Only offering Natal demos to Celebs and talking about Natal demos.

It wasn't a tweet I was mistaken about that but from the latest podcast;

Domino Theory said:
Listening to Major's latest podcast. Towards the end he starts talking about the content going up during the week of E3 and says..

"There's a guy who has been in his office for weeks just working on the HUGE batch of content, trailers, demos, etc. going up during the week. The first big batch of which will go up around 12pm-1pm PST after the briefing."

Unless I'm reading that wrong we should see some demos.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Don't use my words! Just listen to the podcast. :p

Lost Planet 2 is a given (I'm guessing tomorrow); more demos would be sweet. Why not let us have the Batman: AA demo that's been in GameStop stores for weeks now?

tanod

when is my burrito
Jtyettis said:
Unless I'm reading that wrong we should see some demos.

In industry speak, demos also often mean gameplay trailers.demonstrations.

Not that I'm saying that I don't expect demos in the regular sense but we're 2 days in and haven't seen a darn thing on XBL. Pretty poor showing vs. previous years.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
My friend just told me something that I actually came to the conclusion to just now despite MS's awesome showing at E3:

The only first party titles we know of that are coming out this year is Halo 3: ODST and Forza 3.

That's ... bad.

RBH

Domino Theory said:
My friend just told me something that I actually came to the conclusion to just now despite MS's awesome showing at E3:

The only first party titles we know of that are coming out this year is Halo 3: ODST and Forza 3.

That's ... bad.
Don't forget about Lips: Number One Hits!

lolz

Domino Theory said:

That's ... bad.

Off year for them. Unlike the Wii though third party support will be there to get us through.

They're probably shifting around alot of stuff for Natal.

Domino Theory said:

That's ... bad.

Earlier in this thread:

MirageDwarf said:
Some thoughts about major MS first party announcements. Going by memory here and hope I'm not missing something big. No major title at E3 2007. Stopped talking about future titles. Next was Gears 2 at GDC 08. At E3 08, announced Halo 3 expansion. Didn't talk for almost an year so people thought E3 09 will have few first party announcements for 2009. Only one new announcement: Forza III. Again, I'm talking about only up to 2009. Halo: Reach and Crackdown 2 are future titles.

There were more titles released these years (also XBLA) but titles like VP doesn't count as blockbuster. Others were previously announced titles like BK:NB, Forza II, PGR 4.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
^ Seriously. I know they said that they didn't show everything 1st party coming out this year at the briefing, but without any more X0's, why would they block it out from E3?

We NEED to know what Rare is working on for this year (if they are, at all :( ).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MirageDwarf said:
Earlier in this thread:
Isn't Ensemble first party? Was, at least. :(

There has to be more first party games than that. I'm going kinda blank at the moment but I know there's more.

chubigans said:
Isn't Ensemble first party? Was, at least. :(

There has to be more first party games than that. I'm going kinda blank at the moment but I know there's more.

Halo Wars was announced in 2006. There are more than that but as I said I was listing only big titles.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Was a date given for:

Netflix search add to cue from XBL?
Group video viewing w/ avatars via XBL?

aries_71

They could at least have made the MS conference video downloadable. In E3 2007 they did. I also feel like they dropped balls this year.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
DarienA said:
Was a date given for:

Netflix search add to cue from XBL?
Group video viewing w/ avatars via XBL?

All the LIVE features and changes they announced during the briefing and after are coming this Fall.

e3.gif

Wollan

Tried finding the SC Conviction thread but no luck.

Anyways, looks superb. When he entered the room with all the bad guys, took one for hostage only to throw him out the window :lol

Truespeed

I just watched the Natal demo (busy with work) and it was interesting to say the least. I was a bit surprised that this person named Kudo walked out on stage wearing Prada sunglasses. I guess he's a superstar in his world. Is this fashionista someone I'm supposed to have heard of? Anyway, memo to Kudo - orange prison jumpsuits and huge sunglasses were last year.

And why did he have to slam the Wii and its control scheme? The reaction from the crowd was priceless as they jeered him for that snide comment. If you're going to criticize the Wii, don't you think you should demo casual demo's that actually look better than Wii sports?

But, those scripted and rehearsed video's of the family using Natal were just down right embarrassing. If this is how Microsoft envisions how Natal will be used then I really feel sorry for those that buy this thing. Something leads me to believe that those demo's on that family TV don't even exist and they were either playing a CG movie or a green screen. Otherwise, they would have shown those demo's live instead of those lame and agonizing tech demo's. If you thought Microsoft paint was the worst paint program known to man, well then, welcome to Natal paint.

And then there was Peter. Did anyone actually believe that girl was actually interacting with that Milo character? I didn't. In fact, you could have replaced her with a bag of sand and Milo would have just continued along his merrily scripted way. The only interaction was when she approached the pond and started waving her hands in the water with Milo encouraging her to catch a fish. I'm not sure what Peter was trying to convey, but I hope it wasn't AI, because it was void of it.

I think Natal is capable of some interesting applications, when used in conjunction with the 360 controller, but the demo's they showed were misleading and painted a picture no family will ever experience.

UltimaPooh said:
Off year for them. Unlike the Wii though third party support will be there to get us through.

They're probably shifting around alot of stuff for Natal.

Actually the Wii has pretty good third-party support this year and into early 2010. Little King's Story, FFCC: Crystal Bearers, Red Steel 2, Dead Space: Extraction, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Sin and Punishment 2, The Conduit, Grand Slam Tennis and Tiger Woods (best and most popular versions on Wii), not to mention a bunch of interesting WiiWare games like A Boy and his Blob and Cave Story, etc. etc.

It's normal for developers to have some off periods. I agree that along with Rare, MS is probably moving some other resources around for Natal. But I don't think it's most of them -- it's just the lull in the waves.

Mrbob

So I'm listening to the IGN Gamescoop E3 podcast and they are talking about my most anticipated RPG in 2010, Mass Effect 2. It sounds amazing. All technical details fixed, fluid frame rate, improved combat. Your choices from ME1 carry over into ME2. Then I listened to a small stumbling block. Your level does not carry over to Mass Effect 2. This made me a sad panda listening to this. I've finished ME three times (Going to work on a 4th before ME2 is out) and I have a buffed out level 60 shepard I wanted to take into the second game. If anything, I hope all the abilities you acquire from the first game aren't gone. If I have to start over as a basic n00b shepard in the 2nd game that is BS.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Mrbob said:
So I'm listening to the IGN Gamescoop E3 podcast and they are talking about my most anticipated RPG in 2010, Mass Effect 2. It sounds amazing. All technical details fixed, fluid frame rate, improved combat. Your choices from ME1 carry over into ME2. Then I listened to a small stumbling block. Your level does not carry over to Mass Effect 2. This made me a sad panda listening to this. I've finished ME three times (Going to work on a 4th before ME2 is out) and I have a buffed out level 60 shepard I wanted to take into the second game. If anything, I hope all the abilities you acquire from the first game are gone. If I have to start over as a basic n00b shepard in the 2nd game that is BS.

Some aspects of your skills will carry over into ME2 - not your level, but you'll definitely be ahead of the curve if you took the time to level up your character in ME1.

"When you bring your character across from Mass Effect, your class will transfer across, and "some aspects of your skills", but the new improvements and new abilities will enable you to start developing them from within that class. Newcomers won't be able to benefit from some of the advantages and bonuses you earned from the first game, so fans will be rewarded with something of a head start."

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/mass_effect_2/preview-1757-3.html

Doesn't bother me. The Xbox Live Marketplace has been a piece of shit since NXE launched anyways. Pre-NXE, I'd look at stuff all the time to see what was added. But since NXE, I point to something and have to sit there for about 30 damn seconds before anything shows up. So, no sweat off my back.

SamVT

Truespeed said:
And then there was Peter. Did anyone actually believe that girl was actually interacting with that Milo character? I didn't. In fact, you could have replaced her with a bag of sand and Milo would have just continued along his merrily scripted way. The only interaction was when she approached the pond and started waving her hands in the water with Milo encouraging her to catch a fish. I'm not sure what Peter was trying to convey, but I hope it wasn't AI, because it was void of it.

No the point that was being conveyed was that thank to Natal we have the opportunity to truely meet a character and interact with it like we've never done before. We haven't made a piece of AI that's going to create a nuclear weapon and resolve world piece. If we had - we would use that for something quite different than a videogame.

The demo of Milo was real, I worked my ass off presenting it to people behind closed doors (some VIPs even) and Milo didn't call me Claire, but Sam. When we trained the software to regocnize other people (like journalists), he would call them by their name and comment on the colour of their clothes, no matter what the colour was.

Finally, the voice emphathy doesn't work "on the fly", Milo needs to be familiar with it. Plus it's hard for people when first introduced to him, to interact with the voice. That's why Claire did it in the video and I did behind closed doors.

This shit works.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I really like the idea and implementation behind Milo, but that "game" is a ways off. We need content now or in the near future.

Which is why I clinge to Fable for more goodies from Lionhead. Unless of course, Milo's coming out next week.

SamVT said:
No the point that was being conveyed was that thank to Natal we have the opportunity to truely meet a character and interact with it like we've never done before. We haven't made a piece of AI that's going to create a nuclear weapon and resolve world piece. If we had - we would use that for something quite different than a videogame.

The demo of Milo was real, I worked my ass off presenting it to people behind closed doors (some VIPs even) and Milo didn't call me Claire, but Sam. When we trained the software to regocnize other people (like journalists), he would call them by their name and comment on the colour of their clothes, no matter what the colour was.

Finally, the voice emphathy doesn't work "on the fly", Milo needs to be familiar with it. Plus it's hard for people when first introduced to him, to interact with the voice. That's why Claire did it in the video and I did behind closed doors.

This shit works.
<3 Lionhead. Can you guys reveal just how much of Dimitri was/is being rolled into Milo? Or is this just the visible tip of the iceberg?

Dunlop

Anyone know if Last.Fm will work in Canada (on the 360)?

The wiki on it seems to show it being available here for a fee

Top Bottom