• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

LCfiner

Oh, and I should add that M&L3 looked like good fun and added some much needed tweaks to the M&L formula.

And I was excited to see Nintendo take DSi ware more seriously with the Wario Ware type creation tools and the Mini Mario puzzler games.

those are cool, hardcore DS games that most people here should find enjoyable.

I was NOT impressed with the Kingdom Hearts emo bullshit. In fact, that trailer single-handedly made me swear never to play the first two on the PS2. that was some cringe-worthy shit, right there.

Foil

Same thing as every year with Nintendo. Boring shitty conference for most of it, then at the end show off one or two great core franchise games and some of their fans freak out like they just got out of the asylum. The conference was a tad better than last year, but overall pretty awful. Yet like every year some Nintendo fans freak out and go around thinking Nintendo has "won" E3.

I'm very happy with NSMB and Galaxy 2 however.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm all for EAD Tokyo to work on another IP, but to say that a sequel to one of the best iteration of an AAA franchise is your biggest disappointment nuclearmuffin....

That really is the dumbest thing I've heard in quite a long while.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Kind of like your posts.
clever. never seen that before on interwebz.

Your butthurt won't make this conference magically better than the C- that it was, now will it? Deal. Galaxy 2 and The Other M will outscore every game we've seen at E3 so far. doesn't mean the conference was suddenly not full of fail.

Zachack

Teknoman said:
They showed Forza gameplay, Rock Band Beatles, Splinter Cell, and Halo 3 ODST. 4 games then. We knew most of that was going to hit anyway. MGS:R was a surprise but no gameplay at all, and FFXIII was just the same demo footage we've seen for awhile now, but with english voices (and was pretty short).

Nintendo and MS should have equal grades conference wise as far as content goes I say.

Organization though, MS would get a higher grade.
I can't tell if you're trying to white knight Nintendo or troll MS, because offhand I can think of four more titles you missed(FF13, the Epic game, MW2, Alan Wake), and there may have been more. Plus the whole Natal thing, which for better or worse was big new stuff.

MotherFan

irfan said:

The Nintendo loyals circle jerk in here is so strong that this conference was awesome, best? :lol :lol Now it remains to be seen if Sony can stoop lower than this conference.

This is almost as stupid as the person who said SMG2 does not need a sequel.

domlolz said:
Exactly,they should of announced it after the conference and they would of gotten a better reaction
bizarre but actually true. or they could have let everyone start walking out, then dropped the fukn lights and ran the vids. would have brought the house down.

some folks don't know how to put on a show or get people amped. case & point.

tabsina

Nuclear Muffin said:
Mario Galaxy 2 was the biggest disappointment of the conference for me. The original game was perfect, it didn't need a sequel at all.

What a complete waste of dev talent, EAD Tokyo should be working on a new IP (Or at least a different one from the one they just bloddy worked on!!!)

so.. um...... what the fuck are you talking about? you are saying that a perfect game (which'd logically mean your favourite for the gen, and all time mind you) should NOT get a sequel.. but instead they should be making sequels to games that were NOT as good

are you an idiot?

CTLance

I think it was a thoroughly mediocre presentation, and the silence from the audience was almost deafening, something that amused me to no end for some reason. Must have been hell doing your spiel on the stage while being stared down by so many people.

Personally, the 4player Mario sounds kind of neat, SMG2 is too soon for my tastes, and Metroid seems to me like a game I won't like from what little we have been shown (although it looked fantastic).

I got some games out of it so I'm cautiously optimistic, but honestly, that presentation was most decidedly not market leader material.

Haunted

Very nice, very nice.

Metroid M and Mario Galaxy 2 alone looked unbelievably good.

Then a nice assortment of good to great games I can look forward to following behind, just how I like it. :D

MotherFan

Saint Gregory said:
And what possible reason would they have to talk about that? It's natural for the market leader to talks sales just like it was last gen when Sony did at every E3.

But it was sony so it was ok by Gaf then.

joetachi

I don't rate conferences because i find them boring i rate the gaf thread.
This one gets a A- great roller coaster ride lol

CTLance said:
I think it was a thoroughly mediocre presentation, and the silence from the audience was almost deafening, something that amused me to no end for some reason. Must have been hell doing your spiel on the stage while being stared down by so many people.

Personally, the 4player Mario sounds kind of neat, SMG2 is too soon for my tastes, and Metroid seems to me like a game I won't like from what little we have been shown (although it looked fantastic).
I don't understand how SMG2 is too soon, it'll be well over two years when it finally comes out.

CTLance said:

I got some games out of it so I'm cautiously optimistic, but honestly, that presentation was most decidedly not market leader material.
well said, thought SMG2 is right on time, IMO.

the opinion is a pretty strong consensus among everyone (that's not a die-hard). they used to be much better at these shows. how times have changed.

oh well, I'm done here. Time for Sony!

d+pad

I hate to agree with NOA's PR whores, but they're right when they say the hardcore crowd can't be pleased, no matter what.

Although it would have been nice to see more games (esp. first-party games using motion+), the games they showed today definitely made me happy. Hell, they could have shown just Galaxy 2 and I would have been pleased.

Disappointed no Pikmin 3, that's all I wanted to see. But very excited for more Mario 3D, new Metroid, and NSMB Wii. The next 12 months are looking bright for Wii gamers.

Foil said:
Same thing as every year with Nintendo. Boring shitty conference for most of it, then at the end show off one or two great core franchise games and some of their fans freak out like they just got out of the asylum. The conference was a tad better than last year, but overall pretty awful. Yet like every year some Nintendo fans freak out and go around thinking Nintendo has "won" E3.

I'm very happy with NSMB and Galaxy 2 however.
Well, you should put it into perspective a bit.

If you take out the third party stuff in MS' and Nintendo's press conference, and only leave the first party stuff in there, Nintendo really did deliver. They did their job very well to please the gamers, probably even more so than MS. However, third party software is very important, and if you add this to the conference, MS won hands down.

It's also partly Nintendo's fault for the sparse third party support, but it's imho not right to think that nintendo themselves did not deliver the games.

The conference itself was pretty shitty apart from the surprises though. If they had added all the decent third party stuff (which there is) on a pile and showed footage for every one of them, gaf would have been a lot more satisfied. Instead Nintendo focused on a mix of hardcore/casual/marketing/sales talk, and only 1 part is interesting to gaf.

I do think one issue which is always obvious is the B-level games that third-parties assign to Wii. MS is showing things like Splinter Cell, Modern Warfare 2, etc, Nintendo has to show spin-offs of games whose main versions came out already on other consoles. I don't think it's an issue that will ever go away due to the graphic tech gap, but it's always very evident during the conferences where the third parties (especially the Western ones) send their high-level talent.

Monado should have been shown at the conference, looks fantastic and would have made me even more excited. What happened to the 2-5min bombardment trailer?

I use to love those.

BOOM NEW GAME BOOM GAME BOOM NEW GAME BOOM NEW GAME BOOM GAME BOOM AWESOME etc.

Blackface

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Why do you even post? Your shitty trolling is so transparent it's laughable. Go shill for ListenUP some more.

I am trolling because I share a different opinion then you, and I am a shill for Listenup because I appreciate their work and don't cry like a fucking child when someone doesn't sound like Superman?

Give me a break :lol :lol :lol

Delusion.jpg

ArjanN

Why are some people saying "Ubisoft's conference was worse" as if that means something? Ubisoft is just a 3rd party publisher/developer.

d+pad

One more thing: I love how people believe/hope that a conference like this (whether it was good or bad) is going to do anything to change the Wii's position in the marketplace.

Uh, I'm pretty sure games like Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii will keep the so-called casuals flocking to the system in droves, and NSMB Wii, Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M will grab the so-called hardcore.

Wasn't that the point of the conference?

d+pad said:
I hate to agree with NOA's PR whores, but they're right when they say the hardcore crowd can't be pleased, no matter what.

Although it would have been nice to see more games (esp. first-party games using motion+), the games they showed today definitely made me happy. Hell, they could have shown just Galaxy 2 and I would have been pleased.
I think if they had only shown Galaxy 2 the vast majority would have been pleased.

RyuKanSan

Souldriver said:

If you take out the third party stuff in MS' and Nintendo's press conference, and only leave the first party stuff in there, Nintendo really did deliver. They did their job very well to please the gamers, probably even more so than MS. However, third party software is very important, and if you add this to the conference, MS won hands down.

It's also partly Nintendo's fault for the sparse third party support, but it's imho not right to think that nintendo themselves did not deliver the games.

The conference itself was pretty shitty apart from the surprises though. If they had added all the decent third party stuff (which there is) on a pile and showed footage for every one of them, gaf would have been a lot more satisfied. Instead Nintendo focused on a mix of hardcore/casual/marketing/sales talk, and only 1 part is interesting to gaf.

Yeah but what else could they have shown for 3rd party stuff? Red Steel was shown at Ubisoft along with Rayman. We dunno how much of NMH2 is into development. They did show a trailer for SE's games. I suppose they could've threw in there MH3 and Tales of Graces....okay i see you point lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Nintendo has a habit of announcing games after their E3 conference though. I expect Pikmin 3 will be announced that way.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
ninj4junpei said:
In their defense, there was no clapping for Golden Sun DS.

I guess they just weren't feeling it there after sitting through what they did...

And even though Miyamoto has his own thing, I expected to see him there regardless...

Blackface

Banned
civilstrife said:
Anyone catch Reggie's little jab at Natal?

"On video, you can do almost anything."

It would make sense if they didn't demo it live. I am still not sold on Natal, but nobody can deny if it can work out in actual games, it's a game changer.

RyuKanSan said:
Yeah but what else could they have shown for 3rd party stuff? Red Steel was shown at Ubisoft along with Rayman. We dunno how much of NMH2 is into development. They did show a trailer for SE's games. I suppose they could've threw in there MH3 and Tales of Graces....okay i see you point lol
Well indeed. You just mentioned 5 games. :) And they didn't even show anything from their own S&P game. If they had just showed footage or CG from all those games, gaf's reaction would be more favorable to this conference.

But still, I agree with the sentiment that this is not a conference for a market leader. There should simply be more, and specifically from third party developers. You can blame both them and Nintendo for this.

Ploid 3.0

NetMapel said:
Nintendo has a habit of announcing games after their E3 conference though. I expect Pikmin 3 will be announced that way.

Yea also press conferences just kinda blew up. It's like if nothing is announced there e3 is over. They used to only talk charts and stats in them.

1-D_FTW

d+pad said:

Wii Sports looks great. A new 2D Mario platformer, a sequel to Galaxy, and a new Metroid with a new style. It's been a long time since Nintendo has had a conference that even comes close. Now you can grumble at the details (Metroid and Galaxy being 2010) and no mention of online for NSMB meaning it's almost certainly NOT online. But still, I have to agree with you. I can't remember a better Nintendo conference.

laserbeam

Banned
Skilotonn said:
I guess they just weren't feeling it there after sitting through what they did...

And even though Miyamoto has his own thing, I expected to see him there regardless...

The total lack of participation on the Japan side for the most part of things with a conference happening in Japan tommorrow I wonder if there is not more that will be revealed there.

Just seems to odd to bring Iwata and Miyamoto out to LA and in the end do and say nothing

Ploid 3.0 said:
Am I weird? I really loved the wii sports stuff. It looks insanely fun.

Not weird at all. It looked fun, varied, and responsive. That's all we could hope for in a title like this. I was impressed.

Not as impressed as I was with NSMB Wii, SMG2, or Metroid obviously - but still it was a strong showing for that game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Souldriver said:

The rumor mill was that stuff like Red Steel was in the Nintendo conference until Ubi did their thing. You can't really blame Nintendo from focusing on their own shit in this conference. Third parties are doing the work for them in their own conferences. Hell, most of Ubi's conference last night was focused on Wii and DS titles.

Rindain

Banned
What kind of crowd did Nintendo let into their conference this year?

Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid should have received much bigger applause.

Crowd as DEAD.

VAIL

I think it was a good balance, and you know there is an announcement or two still to come, you have Shiggy tonight, and a presser in Japan not too far off.

My thoughts:

NSMB:Wii
ugh, looks like the same as the DS version with multiplayer. No originality, no new style. I'll still buy because I'm a hardcore mario fan, but I was hoping for better

Mario Galaxy 2: looks as good as the first, but with new levels and Yoshi! I'm hyped

New Metroid for Wii: Looks real good. Looks like a say different experience from the prime series

MY BIGGEST QUESTION:

WHERE WAS MIYAMOTO????

I'm guessing he thought he cursed Wii Music so he wouldn't show his face this year till the private conference.

Top Bottom