E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

Scrubking

Member
Can someone explain to me why Nintendo doesn't demo their games or have 3rd parties come on stage to show their games off? Were they always this way?

Nintendo really needs to hire someone from MS or Sony's camp to organize their conferences because showing 30 second videos of major games and or just plain old videos that have been released weeks before is horrible. Throw in the fact that they left out a shit ton of their own damn games and completely ignored them and I sit here stupified as to what the hell they are doing.
 

Cosmozone

Member
Dabookerman said:
New SMB looks insanely uninspired.
That worries me, too. In this game, the environments seem to be generally larger, wonder how that works out.

And I don't know anything about Golden Sun, what is it about?
 

Shiggy

Member
Scrubking said:
Can someone explain to me why Nintendo doesn't demo their games or have 3rd parties come on stage to show their games off? Were they always this way?

Nintendo really needs to hire someone from MS or Sony's camp to organize their conferences because showing 30 second videos of major games and or just plain old videos that have been released weeks before is horrible. Throw in the fact that they left out a shit ton of their own damn games and completely ignored them and I sit here stupified as to what the hell they are doing.

I really do not need those guys who clap for themselves...
 

Marvie_3

Banned
RagnarokX said:
20zqj9i.gif
Fantastic! :lol Hoping for some cool things out of the Miyamoto meeting, but not getting my hopes up too high. :lol
 
I have to admit as I've had to time to digest all this that I'm fairly optimistic about the line-up. Wii Sports Resort, NSMB Wii, SMG 2 and EO2 are all worth getting excited about. I'm sure Metroid will be a great game but will be very skeptical until I'm proven wrong.
 

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm stunned, just stunned at the negative reception for NSMB Wii, and I wasn't a huge fan of NSMB DS. Am I the only one looking forward to this more than Galaxy 2? I'm going to have a riot with this with three buddies, considering we had an awesome time just passing the controller around for VC SMB 3 and laughing at each other dying.
 

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I say Nintendo needs to loosen up their presentation speech a bit. They showed some good games but couldn't sell them to the public due to the rigid presentation style. They need somebody who is more flexible on stage like Sony and Microsoft's presenters who will interact with the crowds a bit instead of just sticking with their given lines. Then again, their presentation style does not concern me as a gamer because I can see their games and I want to play them :)
 

Burai

shitonmychest57
BorkBork said:
I'm stunned, just stunned at the negative reception for NSMB Wii, and I wasn't a huge fan of NSMB DS. Am I the only one looking forward to this more than Galaxy 2? I'm going to have a riot with this with three buddies, considering we had an awesome time just passing the controller around for VC SMB 3 and laughing at each other dying.

It's the recycled assets and engine that annoy me really. It just smacks of not being bothered. Same with Mario Galaxy 2. It's like they want to keep the hardcore on board but with the minimum effort possible.

I'm sure they'll be fun, but they could at least attempt to dress these games up as if they were something I haven't played to death already.
 

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
burai said:
It's the recycled assets and engine that annoy me really. It just smacks of not being bothered. Same with Mario Galaxy 2. It's like they want to keep the hardcore on board but with the minimum effort possible.

I'm sure they'll be fun, but they could at least attempt to dress these games up as if they were something I haven't played to death already.

What recycled assets? It's been awhile since I've played NSMB, but I don't recall anything being that similar after comparison the levels between the two just now. Yes, both have the obligatory desert and ice worlds, but the background look completely different and is more akin to Super Mario World than anything.

Huh. I have never played a 4 player platforming Mario game before . Maybe you have and that's why it seems uninteresting to you.
 
In my opinion

The conference was absolutely horrible. I'm baffled as to why they decided to spend the vast majority of the conference that no one at the show, or watching the streams cared about. Why not talk that to the horse's mouth, demoing it on The View or the 6 'oclock news. I'm sure some mainstream media like USA Today will dedicate some blurbs to this ("Nintendo Innovative, MS/Sony Play Catch Up at Game Show") but that's about it.
 

camineet

Banned
When I think about Miyamoto having a roundtable tonight, you all KNOW what I am secretly hoping (against all hope) for, (against all odds), but I won't say it, I don't DARE say it. I don't wanna jinx anything. I will only say....well...I just hope the Miyamoto thing is good.
 
camineet said:
When I think about Miyamoto having a roundtable tonight, you all KNOW what I am secretly hoping (against all hope) for, (against all odds), but I won't say it, I don't DARE say it. I don't wanna jinx anything. I will only say....well...I just hope the Miyamoto thing is good.



You're hoping they show more NSMBWii, obviously.
 
PhoenixDark said:
In my opinion

The conference was absolutely horrible. I'm baffled as to why they decided to spend the vast majority of the conference that no one at the show, or watching the streams cared about. Why not talk that to the horse's mouth, demoing it on The View or the 6 'oclock news. I'm sure some mainstream media like USA Today will dedicate some blurbs to this ("Nintendo Innovative, MS/Sony Play Catch Up at Game Show") but that's about it.

it's a press conference, not a grandstand
 
I just read through the thread as I couldn't convince my girlfriend to let me get up at 2am to watch the live stream (the PC is in my bedroom and the light/noise would have woken her), but WOW.

NSMB Wii = OMFG WANT
Super Mario Galaxy 2 = OMFG WANT
Metroid: Other M = OMGWTF WANT WANT WANT WANT NAO

When are these releasing?
 

Tetsuo9

Member
I really wanted to see more 3rd party games in there, not just games that we knew about. I only worry about that, I was very satisfied with the nintendo products they presented.
 

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Reggie interview:


http://wii.ign.com/articles/989/989857p1.html


Some highlights:


"What Mr. Miyamoto has shared is that if the first Galaxy was maybe more inviting in terms of all the audiences, what Galaxy 2 is going to be is maybe a little more Nintendo fan / harder gamer focused."





"IGN: You didn't show Pikmin 3, which is what we were expecting you to show. That kind of surprised us. Why not?

Reggie: Matt, we're all about surprises. We will show that game when it's ready. At the right time. Close to when it's going to be launched. It's not there yet. But Mr. Miyamoto still has his roundtable to do, so maybe you'll see. Maybe you might get that surprise after all. "





"The meeting in Japan is much more retailer oriented so they'll be going through all the details specific to when products are launching in Japan. And within that, there really isn't anything new versus what we've announced today. "


Some good stuff.
 
camineet said:
When I think about Miyamoto having a roundtable tonight, you all KNOW what I am secretly hoping (against all hope) for, (against all odds), but I won't say it, I don't DARE say it. I don't wanna jinx anything. I will only say....well...I just hope the Miyamoto thing is good.

Yeap. The OnE BiG thinG not SHown
 
"IGN: So you think we might get a surprise or two out of the roundtable?

Reggie: Again, we're always trying to surprise you. So we'll see. "
 

Linkhero1

Member
TheGreatDave said:
"IGN: So you think we might get a surprise or two out of the roundtable?

Reggie: Again, we're always trying to surprise you. So we'll see. "
This better mean what I think it means. :p
 

Linkhero1

Member
AceBandage said:
Snake in Brawl?
:O
I was thinking more like Sonic in Brawl. But that's acceptable too.

Masked Man said:
Don't expect too much, though. =/ His comment was more vague than I would like.

I'm not really expecting anything. I'm more interested to see what questions get thrown at Miyamoto. :lol
 

lopaz

Banned
schuelma said:
"What Mr. Miyamoto has shared is that if the first Galaxy was maybe more inviting in terms of all the audiences, what Galaxy 2 is going to be is maybe a little more Nintendo fan / harder gamer focused."

This is good! That was the one major problem with Galaxy, this next one should be even better
 

Amory

Member
I just got home from work, and I'm trying to find a replay that will work on a Mac without scrolling through the whole thread and ruining any/all surprises. Can someone pm me a replay link?
 

JasonMCG

Member
TheGreatDave said:
"IGN: So you think we might get a surprise or two out of the roundtable?

Reggie: Again, we're always trying to surprise you. So we'll see. "
He was responding to a question about Pikmin 3 and it's absence from the conference. If we see any surprises, I'd bet it'd be Pikmin before Zelda.
 
If Metroid M is indicative of where some of Nintendo's core side is headed in the future, I don't really care if they don't make new IPs. I didn't even know that was a Metroid game until late into the trailer. The gameplay and the way the narrative seems to unfold is all new ground for a first party Nintendo game and that's new enough for me.
 

ZeoVGM

formerly omg rite
PhoenixDark said:
In my opinion

The conference was absolutely horrible. I'm baffled as to why they decided to spend the vast majority of the conference that no one at the show, or watching the streams cared about. Why not talk that to the horse's mouth, demoing it on The View or the 6 'oclock news. I'm sure some mainstream media like USA Today will dedicate some blurbs to this ("Nintendo Innovative, MS/Sony Play Catch Up at Game Show") but that's about it.

You understand what a press conference is, right?
 

Talon

Member
Granted I didn't have time to watch this conference fully, but the game announcements are pretty damn exciting. We finally get Golden Sun DS (YES!), we get a Mario to satisfy the 2D crowd, and we get a sequel to my favorite game this generation, Galaxy. Oh, wait, and there's a Metroid game that I actually want to play! On top of that we have a bevy of DS titles like PL2, Wario, etc.

Nintendo could have done a lot more to satisfy the hardcore (especially after the Microsoft and Sony shows, but they just can't compete with mindshare now without 3rd party support), but all three shows this year were miles better than last year's borefest. Cheers, y'all.
 
TheGreatDave said:
"IGN: So you think we might get a surprise or two out of the roundtable?

Reggie: Again, we're always trying to surprise you. So we'll see. "

Reggie always acts like that.

"Hey Reggie, will you announce something from the hotel bathroom?"

"Hmm, maaaaaaybe."
 

vareon

Member
Overall a weak conference, but the few surprises (Galaxy 2, Golden Sun DS, Metroid) kept it from being the worst conference at E3.
 
Amir0x said:
I am pretty fucking happy about Super Mario Galaxy 2. And I don't know what the hell to think about Team Ninja Metroid.

But other than that, kinda unspectacular. i mean, again they just keep shitting out games in their classic IPs with some smaller shit on the side, but i really wish they would make an original hardcore IP with the budget of a Mario or a Zelda. Or the feverish originality of the first Pikmin.

Ah well, I'll take my Endless Ocean 2 and fucking like it.

Nintendo has NEVER done this (besides Pikmin) since the SNES era. Every single one of their current HUGE IP's were based off of sleeper hit games. Including their two current biggest "Nintendo fan" IP's (Smash Bros. and Pokemon).
 

ggnoobIGN

Banned
I can't make threads anymore or I'd make the Shiggy presser thread. Here's what Reggie has to say about it:


"This year, given all the content that we had, we thought it would be best for him to go in-depth with a handful of games during his developer's roundtable and that's what he's going to do later today."


"...Again, we're always trying to surprise you. "



So sounds like we'll be seeing a thing or two out of it.

Also Pikmin 3 incoming:

"We're all about surprises. We will show that game when it's ready. At the right time. Close to when it's going to be launched. It's not there yet. But Mr. Miyamoto still has his roundtable to do, so maybe you'll see. Maybe you might get that surprise after all"
 
Top Bottom