• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

AniHawk

AceBandage said:
Span Smasher and Line Attack Hero were both at E3, but announced last October.

Yeah, I liked Span Smasher. It's supposed to be more like NSMB Wii where multiplayer's involved, but I thought the single player was good.

pgtl_10

Apparently Nintendo's conference gets negative reviews but what they have in store is awesome.

Sounds like Nintendo designs the conference for the mainstream press.

Why should us message board gamers worry about a conference when Nintendo has a lot in store?

A new Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy are cool surprises but they don't in any way compensate for Nintendo's poor showing. Mario Galaxy doesn't seem to do anything new and the Metroid title looks good, but feels like a half measure compared to Prime.

Terrible conference.

I still don't see how this was a terrible press conference.

You people want grand stands and events, like it's a fucking entertainment show. It's not.

Christ, I'm done with GAF for E3. I'm following live blogs and that's it.

AniHawk

Sir Hamish said:
A new Metroid and Super Mario Galaxy are cool surprises but they don't in any way compensate for Nintendo's poor showing. Mario Galaxy doesn't seem to do anything new and the Metroid title looks good, but feels like a half measure compared to Prime.

Terrible conference.

Mario Galaxy doesn't do anything new. You better not be a Halo or God of War fan.

And the new Metroid game looks great. Don't you dare compare it to the shithole of suck that Prime is.

- Eurogamer's saying Zelda Wii in 2010, could slip to 2011
- Miyamoto wanted to unveil it today, but it still needs work
- Story is pretty much decided (which for Nintendo means that the game is pretty far along in development as they work on that last)

Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed a new Legend of Zelda title is in development for the Wii.

"To be honest with you, I really wanted to announce a Zelda game for Wii at this E3. But rather than think about something to bring you to show you, we really wanted to focus on actual game development," he said, speaking during a behind-closed-doors presentation.

"However I didn't want to come empty handed, so I did bring the next illustration for the next Zelda title." At this point an oil painting-style image of Link appeared on a big screen. It featured a pale blue figure wearing a helmet in the foreground and the Legend of Zelda logo at the bottom.

"This illustration does contain elements that are central to the storyline, and I hope it does prove to you we are quite far into the development of the title," Miyamoto said.

"I would like to say we hope to bring it to you next year. It may take a little longer."

Miyamoto went on to reveal the game is likely to work with Nintendo's latest Wii accessory. "We'd like to make it compatible with Wii MotionPlus," he confirmed. "It's quite possible it will be playable only with Wii MotionPlus. The potential for it becoming MotionPlus-only depends of course on how well Wii Sports Resort sells.

"Maybe you can think of Zelda while you're playing with the swordfighting and archery in Wii Sports Resort," Miyamoto added. "But some people think of Zelda as more of an RPG with simpler controls, so trying to think of a way to keep everyone happy is going to occupy me."

A Q&A session ensued, during which Miyamoto discussed controlling robots with your brain and gay men using their minds to give birth to a brand new pokemon, an idea his wife helped him come up with. Not even kidding.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-miyamoto-confirms-new-wii-zelda

AniHawk said:
Mario Galaxy doesn't do anything new. You better not be a Halo or God of War fan.

And the new Metroid game looks great. Don't you dare compare it to the shithole of suck that Prime is.

I am a Halo and Gears fan, just as I'm a Mario fan, but I'm not rating the conference highly because Mario Galaxy 2 turned up. It will probably be a great game but I didnt see much new with the exception of Yoshi, although I'm sure there will be more.

Hell, Miyamoto even admitted that 'the original plan was to "essentially create new variations of the worlds in Super Mario Galaxy."' to Kotaku http://kotaku.com/5276440/miyamoto-super-mario-galaxy-2-will-have-90-new-levels

Prime is fucking immense.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Here's a piece of video you won't see on IGN or gamespot:

http://tinyurl.com/pyoa2e

When I was filming the press conference, and the "Style" game came up, I decided to turn the cameras around to see the crowd reaction.

We had a sleeping japanese guy, and then, as some of you may notice him, the ********** guy hanging his head in disbelief.

I think it perfectly embodies the feeling of the press conference in a nutshell.

My feeling on the conference:
Game announcements were good, but the conference was boring and all over the place and was a complete mess.

DrEvil said:

When I was filming the press conference, and the "Style" game came up, I decided to turn the cameras around to see the crowd reaction.

We had a sleeping japanese guy, and then, as some of you may notice him, the ********** guy hanging his head in disbelief.

I think it perfectly embodies the feeling of the press conference in a nutshell.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah, basically. They spent more time on that Woman's Book Club pish than they did on Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

AniHawk

Sir Hamish said:
I am a Halo and Gears fan, just as I'm a Mario fan, but I'm not rating the conference highly because Mario Galaxy 2 turned up. It will probably be a great game but I didnt see much new with the exception of Yoshi, although I'm sure there will be more.

Oh, well, yeah. I didn't love Galaxy that much, but I get tired of hearing that games have to do something new every time in order to be good.

Prime is fucking immense.

Is "immense" the new slang for "fuckawful"?

DrEvil said:

Game announcements were good, but the conference was boring and all over the place and was a complete mess.
:lol

Awesome.

AniHawk said:
Oh, well, yeah. I didn't love Galaxy that much, but I get tired of hearing that games have to do something new every time in order to be good.

Is "immense" the new slang for "fuckawful"?

:lol

No. Seriously though, I fucking loved Metroid Prime. Don't insult my Metroid :(

R0nn

Hmm, I'm confused. I was half following the conference yesterday through the liveblog on eurogamer on my phone, and was thinking: "Wow, this conference sounds much better than last year! much more core game announcements. People are probably very enthusiastic right about now!"

Then I come here and almost everyone is disappointed and thought it was shit? What did I miss? :lol What did some of you people expect from this conference? Sony was far and away the best, but I didn't expect so many people hating on Nintendo's showing, which was decent at least.

AniHawk

R0nn said:
Hmm, I'm confused. I was half following the conference yesterday through the liveblog on eurogamer on my phone, and was thinking: "Wow, this conference sounds much better than last year! much more core game announcements. People are probably very enthusiastic right about now!"

Then I come here and almost everyone is disappointed and thought it was shit? What did I miss? :lol What did some of you people expect from this conference? Sony was far and away the best, but I didn't expect so many people hating on Nintendo's showing, which was decent at least.

I guess if you were watching, it was pretty boring. They didn't show off stuff like S&P2, EO2, or the RPG that they themselves are working on, and decided to do other crap. Nintendo's showing this year isn't bad. Their conference kinda sucked.

Marvie_3

Banned
DrEvil said:

Sums up my reaction to the first hour or so of Nintendo's conference. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
just here to say again because junkwaffle did not do it, that...

IF YOU HAVE AN E3 CONFERENCE THREAD

MAKE SURE YOU UPDATE THE FIRST POST WITH THE NEWS AND DETAILS

Else you won't be getting any more official threads.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Summary of yesterday's E3 conference :

20090603.jpg

adg1034

DrEvil said:

Nice to have you on the inside, Dean. Thanks for saving this for posterity.

Xrenity said:
No pics of said artwork?

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18699

Be warned, though- it's postage-stamp sized.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
- Eurogamer's saying Zelda Wii in 2010, could slip to 2011
- Miyamoto wanted to unveil it today, but it still needs work
- Story is pretty much decided (which for Nintendo means that the game is pretty far along in development as they work on that last)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-miyamoto-confirms-new-wii-zelda

Zelda in 2010(next year) when they havent even revealed it? Hard chance

adg1034 said:
Nice to have you on the inside, Dean. Thanks for saving this for posterity.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18699

Be warned, though- it's postage-stamp sized.

Yeah, it looks like somebody shot that from either far away or very disguised. I'm sure it wasn't easy to get anything from the Roundtable and hopefully that doesn't trace back to anyone....

EDIT: Doesn't match the versions described by Kotaku and other sites. Not sure if that's real

Feep said:
Just got back from the day's festivities. Hoo boy.

For anyone who was wondering, the crowd at the TRUE press conference was SMALL, less than 2,000 people. It was actually at "Club Nokia", a smaller venue. The majority of the press, including myself, were shunted off into the gigantic Nokia Theater, where we essentially got the same experience you guys did...a live stream (albeit on a giant fucking screen). Some games popped up out of the ground for us to play at the end, though most of us had to jump to the Sony show.

Anyway, WE were cheering. The ones who got into Club Nokia were either MEGA press (IGN, Gamespot, etc.), or more likely, high-ranking executives and investors. This is why there was very little raucous applause. I mean, when Galaxy 2 and Metroid were announced, I was flipping my shit.

That's what the guys said. I also heard they only let in like 30 people for the Miyamoto Roundtable

BrandNew said:

You people want grand stands and events, like it's a fucking entertainment show. It's not.

I'm absolutely with you on this one. I just don't feel like there's a point in trying after looking at the "King of E3 Conferences" thread and seeing how greatly my opinions differ from most members.

yankee666

I couldnt follow the entire conference and i missed some stuff, i was tring to search but i found nothing. I know it was (in terms of entertainment) a boring conf. but they deliver what fans want, or at leats what i was hopping for (SMG2, Metroid, ZeldaDs, NSMBW, S&P2, etc). The only thing that i couldnt recap of the show is something about the DSi, i mean i know the showed MvsDK for Dsiware, but what else?? have they at least talk anything about the future of the Dsi, especific Dsi games (not Dsiware), how about the camera? is it gonna be use on something ese than image edit??. So if anyone can make me a recap of that ill really apreciate it. Thanks

Scrubking

I don't think it was terrible, but it wasn't very good. They announce their biggest games with little to no excitement then show nothing but a few seconds of video, maybe a very short demo.

Most of their other games are not even shown at all. The 3rd party games get nothing but old youtube vids and none of the developers are invited to discuss, demo or hype their games. Again I ask, why does Nintendo do this? They complain about 3rd party support but then shun 3rd parties in their conference and refuse to include them.

CTLance

DrEvil, you need to do that again next E3. Fuck filming the actual conference, filming the audience is way better. Awesome. :lol

Tiktaalik said:
I continue to find it mind boggling that even though Nintendo very obviously is making the most amount of money this generation, at the same time they're very clearly investing the least amount of money this generation into games and technology when compared to Microsoft and Sony. Just in sheer depth of product there's no real comparison.
Clearly? Don't they tend to have an enormous R&D budget? And haven't they sometimes got flak for going too many directions with interface technology?
666 said:
Dude, it's Nintendo... Finish a Zelda, start a Zelda, finish a Mario, start a Mario. Since the dawn of time.
Ehh. Until now, the shortest time between any two 3D Mario games was over 5 years. There's been one real 2D Mario in the last decade, and two in the last two decades. That these are coming only 3 years after their predecessors is the exception rather than the rule.

Unrelatedly... just looked at the list of upcoming DS games Nintendo is giving, and Jesus, Ultimate Card Games is said to be Q4 2009. I believe Ultimate Card Games was the first game announced for the DS. It's not quite Duke Nukem Forever yet, but I think they kinda missed the boat on this one.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
CTLance said:
DrEvil, you need to do that again next E3. Fuck filming the actual conference, filming the audience is way better. Awesome. :lol

It was funny, because I asked my site manager "Should I film the whole thing? Because there's already going to be streams of it"

he goes "Do whatever you want"

The moment she started talking about some style game, I looked behind me and turned on the camera, it was incredible... I wish I could have captured more of the audience, but the row behind me was gold. :lol

Feep said:
Just got back from the day's festivities. Hoo boy.

For anyone who was wondering, the crowd at the TRUE press conference was SMALL, less than 2,000 people. It was actually at "Club Nokia", a smaller venue. The majority of the press, including myself, were shunted off into the gigantic Nokia Theater, where we essentially got the same experience you guys did...a live stream (albeit on a giant fucking screen). Some games popped up out of the ground for us to play at the end, though most of us had to jump to the Sony show.

Anyway, WE were cheering. The ones who got into Club Nokia were either MEGA press (IGN, Gamespot, etc.), or more likely, high-ranking executives and investors. This is why there was very little raucous applause. I mean, when Galaxy 2 and Metroid were announced, I was flipping my shit.

We were in the actual theater, and it wasn't all "mega press" just by that very reason :p
We did get into the VIP section though, which basically meant we were closer to the balcony.
I have no idea how you got on the main floor of the club, as every bit of press I knew was on the balcony (IGN included)...

I'm assuming main floor club was big big "mega press" as you call it.

Also, if you had registered the day before, you would have gotten a blue wrist band (club seating), as when I was sitting waiting for the show to start, I overheard a guard saying "The club is full, don't let anymore up here".

It pays to pre-register, honestly.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They will probably talk about Crystal Bearers and the DS Kingdom Hearts. Dont expect any announcements. :(

Glix

Honestly, I'm trying to read through parts of this thread and I can't.

You people should all be ashamed of yourselves.

I mean, shit talk all you want, but the amount of people claiming worst conference ever, before it is halfway through, and then "Nintendo Redeemed" while it is still halfway through, is some of the most annoying, juvenile, "look at me, I'm cynical and cool" bullshit I have seen in a long time.

I think I'm taking a little bit of a Gaf-break, see you fellas soon.

later

Retro is probably working on a motionplus game. From an unrelated interview:

NL: With that in mind, did Nintendo give you a lot of support to get to grips with MotionPlus?

JV: Oh yeah, they were great. We got our first MotionPlus a few weeks before it was officially announced, and we were like "now we can do it!". Nintendo were great though, they gave us loads of early libraries for MotionPlus and really gave us a lot of support. In a wider sense we worked very closely with the guys over at Retro Studios, and the producer of Metroid Prime came to work with us and gave us a lot of insight into how they handled things.

http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/interviews_red_steel_2s_jason_vandenberghe

Vinci

Danish
Scrubking said:
I don't think it was terrible, but it wasn't very good. They announce their biggest games with little to no excitement then show nothing but a few seconds of video, maybe a very short demo.

Most of their other games are not even shown at all. The 3rd party games get nothing but old youtube vids and none of the developers are invited to discuss, demo or hype their games. Again I ask, why does Nintendo do this? They complain about 3rd party support but then shun 3rd parties in their conference and refuse to include them.

Nintendo would likely do better if they'd have a Multimedia Conference in which they show practically nothing but games (1st and 3rd party) coming or in development for their systems, and then have a separate Market Conference where they go over their sales and charts and whatever else business-related they're doing well with. One would be a media blowout, while the other would be more centered on the company itself (possibly with some Iwata Asks interviews live with Western developers.)

I definitely agree that they should do more though.

I thought it was a great conference. You can't expect a flawless conference without words on sales and brand recognition.

In my opinion Nintendo did more than deliver with:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (unexpected! Yes!)
Wii Sports Resort (greatly looking forward to this game and M+)
Wii Fit+ (enjoyed the original and will keep my eyes on this)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (YES!)
Metroid: Other M (YES!!!)

I find it incredible that they managed to deliver considered that: Zelda Wii, Pikmin 3 and Retro Studio's project were omitted... makes me hyped for the next E3 already...

Tiktaalik

JoshuaJSlone said:
Clearly? Don't they tend to have an enormous R&D budget? And haven't they sometimes got flak for going too many directions with interface technology?

I don't know I'm not seeing it. Either Nintendo is spending less than everyone else, or they're extremely inefficient. This E3 showed both Microsoft and Sony massively catching up and exceeding Nintendo with regard to hardware technology while at the same time producing more product.

Top Bottom