• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

Dragmire

I just can't believe that more third party games have been announced for the PSP than for the Wii. At least it seems that way. PSP gets a new, real Resident Evil, a Metal Gear Solid game, Star Wars, Assassin's Creed, Monster Hunter, and Dante's Inferno in addition to a buttload of first party content. I think it further proves that developers and publishers in this industry are ignorant and afraid of the mass market.

pakkit

Banned
I'm expecting a megaton from Miyamoto. Zelda Wii, you can do it!

Dragmire said:
I just can't believe that more third party games have been announced for the PSP than for the Wii. At least it seems that way. PSP gets a new, real Resident Evil, a Metal Gear Solid game, Star Wars, Assassin's Creed, Monster Hunter, and Dante's Inferno in addition to a buttload of first party content. I think it further proves that developers and publishers in this industry are ignorant and afraid of the mass market.
The difference is that Sony is trying to reinvigorate PSP's market, whereas the Wii market is already booming. Wii is getting a new RE, a new Star Wars, a new Monster Hunter, and a lot of special exclusives, but Nintendo isn't showing it because they're Nintendo and also because they don't have to.

camineet

Banned
I wanna get hyped for the Miyamoto roundtable but, I know i shouldn't..........

HYPE OMFG Zelda Wii is gonna be revealed HYPE

EvilMario said:
Zelda, Pikmin, Smash, Kirby, Mother Series Compilation. It's all be announced, and shown at this roundtable. Right?
Yep, or kittonwy gets banned. Aw hell just ban kittonwy anyway!

Does anyone have that gif of Gandalf talking to Pippin about Nintendo's E3 showing?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I must be living in bizarro world.
Sure, last year E3 the N conference was embarassing to say the least, but this time they fucking delivered.
I thought I was one to usually have cold feet about those things but you guys I can't get!

I dunno, the sequel to the best game ever it's been a fantastic news, another Zelda can wait since I didn't even finish TP yet when Galaxy has already seen multiple playthrough.

That Metroid: M announcement?
Holy fucking shit! Most awesome trailer since MGS3 or, speaking Nintendo, Zelda going for the Celda route.
And then Golden Sun DS, NSMB Wii (which I'm dead sure it'll be awesome, the NSMB DS reveal looked bland all the same back then), Wii Sports Resorts looked *fabulous*... Well, for once I'm good.

You know, maybe it all comes down to the fact that I don't care for Halo (I'll play it but that's it), so the coolest thing from M show was the Metal Gear game coming, and that the last two Zelda I really loved were Link to the Past and and 3/4 of Wind Waker. Besides, we all know that at the October "conference" there's going to be more games to be revealed and they had to spread the time between Wii/DS and non-gaming. Last time it was depressing cause it was for 10% active gamers, 50% for casuals and 40% for non-gamers: This time is was definitely leaning towards *gaming*, at least... I can enjoy casual gaming when it's as well done as Sports Resorts seems to be and between a Galaxy 2 and a Metroid M.

What the hell did you want?

Well done Nintendo.
God that Metroid trailer is soooo sweet

durendal

My big disappointment with this conference was mainly due to the fact that we have already seen Mario and Metroid games recently. They're good games, but I would like something that feels more fresh. Also, Wii Fiit + and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are the only Nintendo games coming out in the fall for Wii. After last years Animal Crossing/Wii Music letdown, this is a disappointing repeat. 2010 Looks good, but with two years in a row of lackluster holiday lineups, this is really getting on my nerves.

Scrubking

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I never played EO... is it worth skipping it for EO2?

No. Buy it now.

Or Sony moneyhatted/struck a deal for those games. In any case it should be no surprise now that 3rd parties just don't like Nintendo and the Wii just made things worse.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Well, I wrapped up my conference viewing after a short work day and want to post some quick thoughts.

I like that Nintendo actually kept some secrets. Unlike MS and most of Sony's stuff. I actually let out a little bit of my inner fanboy for the SMG2 trailer and the Metroid trailer was just fucking awesome. A better look at WSR and some good DS games in Mario and Luigi and most importantly, Golden Sun, was also welcome.

I will say that their presentation, as always, wasn't the most enthralling. But, of course, I'm not exactly in their true target demographic. Actually, that's the problem that Nintendo has at a big event like this. They have to try and serve a lot of different masters, so there's usually a lot of exposition because they know they're going to be covered by the mainstream media now, not just gaming journalists. This year, they seemed to toe the line pretty well.

Lastly, a general comment on all 3 conferences. I found it funny that all of the console manufacturer's demo'd some piece of undeveloped hardware that probably is going nowhere. Nintendo's was definitely the least cool of the three, but it was also the least painful (i.e. short).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
durendal said:
After last years Animal Crossing/Wii Music letdown, this is a disappointing repeat. 2010 Looks good, but with two years in a row of lackluster holiday lineups, this is really getting on my nerves.

A disappointment to you and Nintendo last year. This year, just a disappointment to you, as WiiFit+ and NSMBWii are going to sell like hotcakes on a deserted island filled with Hurley's.

rhfb said:
This conference was easily the worst of the big 3. So 2nd year in a row, MS > S > N? Such a shame :(
Bitch please.

New 2D Mario
Mario Galaxy 2
Awesome looking Metroid spin-off
NEW ZELDA as of 5 minutes ago

yoopoo

Banned
gamergirly said:
There was no guarantee it would be released on Wii though. So a confirmation of WHICH console it's going to
Currently there's only one Nintendo console...so we knew Zelda would go on that one.

yoopoo said:
Currently there's only one Nintendo console...so we knew Zelda would go on that one.

That we know about. Remember Gamecube only had one "real" console Zelda(Wind Waker). The last console that received two "real" Zeldas was Nintendo 64

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
yoopoo said:

Next Zelda could have been way off though.. launch title for Wii HD. Now at least it's 'planned' for the Wii.

Grug

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there anywhere I can download the conference video?

Preferably in xvid or something similar?

yoopoo

Banned
gamergirly said:
That we know about. Remember Gamecube only had one "real" console Zelda(Wind Waker). The last console that received two "real" Zeldas was Nintendo 64
GC had two Zelda games...now its Wii's turn to have the "real" Zelda. Which is my point, we knew the new Zelda would come on the Wii.

This new artwork shown isn't an announcment.

The defining moment of the conference, in my opinion:

remember-me.gif

Feep

Banned
Just got back from the day's festivities. Hoo boy.

For anyone who was wondering, the crowd at the TRUE press conference was SMALL, less than 2,000 people. It was actually at "Club Nokia", a smaller venue. The majority of the press, including myself, were shunted off into the gigantic Nokia Theater, where we essentially got the same experience you guys did...a live stream (albeit on a giant fucking screen). Some games popped up out of the ground for us to play at the end, though most of us had to jump to the Sony show.

Anyway, WE were cheering. The ones who got into Club Nokia were either MEGA press (IGN, Gamespot, etc.), or more likely, high-ranking executives and investors. This is why there was very little raucous applause. I mean, when Galaxy 2 and Metroid were announced, I was flipping my shit.

Feep said:

For anyone who was wondering, the crowd at the TRUE press conference was SMALL, less than 2,000 people. It was actually at "Club Nokia", a smaller venue. The majority of the press, including myself, were shunted off into the gigantic Nokia Theater, where we essentially got the same experience you guys did...a live stream (albeit on a giant fucking screen). Some games popped up out of the ground for us to play at the end, though most of us had to jump to the Sony show.

Anyway, WE were cheering. The ones who got into Club Nokia were either MEGA press (IGN, Gamestop, etc.), or more likely, high-ranking executives and investors. This is why there was very little raucous applause. I mean, when Galaxy 2 and Metroid were announced, I was flipping my shit.

Wow, no wonder.

Tiktaalik

Overall my impressions of the conference were pretty bad. As has become typical much of the news that has gotten me excited has come AFTER the show. Details such as that New Super Mario Bros Wii will have 80 levels and koopa kids, and that Picross 3D will be coming to NA.

It's sort of amazing to me that the most exciting news to come out of the Nintendo conference seems to be that Nintendo is handing over one of their main IPs to another company to handle. How far we've come... yikes!

AniHawk

I'll tell you what I expected: Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, Pikmin 3, maybe the Retro thing, and Kirby.

Instead we got Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, a new sidescrolling Mario platformer for Wii, the first new Metroid game since 2002, and the sequel to Mario Galaxy.

And Golden Sun DS.

This is better than I expected. The weakest conference out of all of them, but there are four games I was not expecting, and they will probably all be great.

EDIT: I was not at any of the conferences. I saw Sony's on the show floor, but from what I read, I think Nintendo's is the worst.

Sony's is probably the best for my tastes.

Tiktaalik

I continue to find it mind boggling that even though Nintendo very obviously is making the most amount of money this generation, at the same time they're very clearly investing the least amount of money this generation into games and technology when compared to Microsoft and Sony. Just in sheer depth of product there's no real comparison.

AniHawk said:
I'll tell you what I expected: Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, Pikmin 3, maybe the Retro thing, and Kirby.

Instead we got Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, a new sidescrolling Mario platformer for Wii, the first new Metroid game since 2002, and the sequel to Mario Galaxy.

Zero Mission was practically a new game.

Ydahs

The conference itself wasn't great, but the new game announcements were. Too little was shown for NSMB Wii. They could have at least shown the trailer which looks so much better than the level they played.

I think Nintendo tried to show too much in too little time. Many parts seemed to be quite rushed. Why wasn't there a montage of games? Instead we got a montage of people talking about the DSi...

Overall, it was a good conference which delivered three new must-buy titles (NSMBWii, GS2 and SMG2) a consideration in Wii Fit + and interesting new announcements for a game which I planned to buy a long time ago (Wii Sports Resort).

JKBii

Feep said:

Anyway, WE were cheering. The ones who got into Club Nokia were either MEGA press (IGN, Gamestop, etc.), or more likely, high-ranking executives and investors. This is why there was very little raucous applause. I mean, when Galaxy 2 and Metroid were announced, I was flipping my shit.

This gives me confidence in games journalism. I was thinking for a moment "How fucking cynical can these people possibly be?" Somebody who doesn't flip their shit after seeing Galaxy and Metroid back to back does not relate to me as a gamer.

Banned
yoopoo said:
How's that an announcement... everyone knew they were working on Zelda.

Dude, it's Nintendo... Finish a Zelda, start a Zelda, finish a Mario, start a Mario. Since the dawn of time.

Span Smasher? Not at the show, but there's apparently media of it. MotionPlus support.

Oh and my Wii is flashing. Nintendo Channel featuring E3 titles, including third-parties.

Chumly

It still AMAZES me that Nintendo doesnt get how to put a mega show together but whatever. Its not how they do it I guess (Although from post show interviews Reggie THINKS they did it).

Heres a list of Nintendo games that are supposedly coming to NA... (Lets just do Wii)

New! Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid: Other M

Endless Ocean 2
Sin & Punishment 2
Wii Sports Resort
Line Attack Heroes
Monado: Beginning of the World
Span Smasher
Wii Fit +
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Bolded are the ones shown....Why not show some of the others? SPECIFICALLY S&P 2 and Endless Ocean.

Heres a list of EXCLUSIVE third party titles for the Wii for the rest of the year (or announced in the E3 time frame) ....(also theres like 2-4 that are going to the PS2 I think)

No More Heroes : DS
Trauma Center
Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage
Dead Space
Resident Evil DC
Red Steel 2
Conduit
The Grinder
Gladiator
Rabbids Go Home
TMNT
FF Chrystal Bearers
Soccer game from Ubi
Active Life: Extreme Challenge Feet-On
Dragonball: Revenge of King Piccolo
Resident Evil Archives
Muramasa: The Demon Blade Hands-on
A Boy and His Blob
Overlord: Dark Legend
Need for Speed Nitro
Little King's Story
Dawn of Discovery
Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Monster Hunter 3
The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Games that JUST got announced for Localization this E3
Fragile
Shiren
tatsunoko vs capcom

God forbid they might talk about Wiiware.... maybe something like..
Robocalypse Beaver Defense
Tales of Monkey Island
Swords and Soldiers
Icarian : Kindred SPirits
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord
Night Game

Disclaimer: Not all of the above is awesome but Nintendo sure as hell could have picked some other awesome games to show/announce

Also we got Zelda announced at the round table (why not press conference) which was similar to Halo Reach (Holiday 2010) except Zelda didnt get a teaser trailer.

We got 4 games from above........ Seriously look what they had to pick from and look how it turned out.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Chumly said:
lots of stuff
I completely agree. Nintendo still doesn't understand E3. Iwata's speech could have been completely cut and why did they remove the RS2 demo? :(

There could have been a lot of stuff that would have saved this conference, including Sin and Punishment 2.

WHY NOT SHOW THIS OFF AT THE CONFERENCE? Instead, let's show off some fashion DS game... ugh.

Chumly

Fantastical said:
I completely agree. Nintendo still doesn't understand E3. Iwata's speech could have been completely cut and why did they remove the RS2 demo? :(

There could have been a lot of stuff that would have saved this conference, including Sin and Punishment 2.

WHY NOT SHOW THIS OFF AT THE CONFERENCE? Instead, let's show off some fashion DS game... ugh.
I know right? and I didnt even do the DS version of this either.

Top Bottom