EA Lays Off 350 People In Marketing, Publishing, And More.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
I will never celebrate anyone losing their job but hopefully gaming companies can focus on making awesome games instead of "revenue streams" and "recurrent income" and "player 'engagement'"

Sounds like you've ran out of fuel for these monetization implementations. Can I offer you some GaaS? ;)

Reactions: Isa and DGrayson

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017
Shitty game (Anthem) sells a buck load thanks to PR and Marketing, lets fire staff from marketing teams.

Good logic.

The game did not sell a buck load, didn't it make like 100million so far? I doubt that's enough to pay for marketing, and you still have development, I doub't they've seen any profit so far.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff member
Dec 5, 2017
The problem is that there will always be someone who will say that you celebrate resignation simply because you do not support broken games.

Classic apologists. As if the consumer should feel bad because companies spent money before they even earned it and hired way too many people thinking they can squeeze more money out of every player at every turn to finance their bad decisions. No one deserves to lose their job and management is to blame for that situation, not consumers.

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
As much as I'd like to, I can't call Anthem a flop after its NPD launch results.

It may not have much longevity, of course.

The NPD data support that... less than 1.2m with console digital included won't pay the marketing for the game.

Shitty game (Anthem) sells a buck load thanks to PR and Marketing, lets fire staff from marketing teams.

Good logic.
The game failed by a long margin to reach profitable sales thought... it didn't sold buck load the opposite.

NPD sales were bad.
UK sales abyssal.
Digital revenue low (where most sales come).

Last edited:

Saberyoko

Jan 30, 2019
As much I dont wanna support crappie games and bad gaming choices by trash companies, I still feel bad for them. People losing their jobs is not a pretty sight and for me to be just happy for them losing their jobs would make me worse and low than those companies.

We have a lot of people in my country suffering from being unemployed here and although most of them choose supporting the wrong people, still a sad picture.

ethomaz

Mar 19, 2013
Brazil
I hope these layoffs were diverse.
Diverse like who do the job better/efficient stay employed? Because that is the only acceptable way to make layoffs no matter the genre, race or sexual orientation.

Not firing somebody due diversity is a big fail for any company.

Last edited:

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
Today we took some important steps as a company to address our challenges and prepare for the opportunities ahead. As we look across a changing world around us, it’s clear that we must change with it. We’re making deliberate moves to better deliver on our commitments, refine our organization and meet the needs of our players.

Saying nothing with many words.

Meowzers

Jun 1, 2017
Wales
They need to start paying attention to their offline modes in their sports titles.

Career mode on Fifa has been so dull for years now. They still have features on there that are literally the same since Fifa 12. No joke, not even the tiniest of changes.

My problem is with the people at the top. All those people layed off is rather harsh. EA in general are a terrible company.

EverydayBeast

Aug 18, 2017
Obviously I feel sorry for the employees but I also feel sorry for EA. They’re the one developer that goes through hoards of employees, hoard after hoards it seems whenever threatened by poor game launches.

hunthunt

Neo Member
Mar 22, 2019
Feel bad for the people working there but gaming as a whole has lost nothing and nothing would be lost if EA closes his doors.

Barakov

Sep 30, 2006
I definitely feel for those affected. The problem is the management put all their eggs in one basket(GaaS) and now those 300 suffered for it.

Hado

Aug 13, 2015
Not happy for individuals to lose work, but if that company crumbled I would probably have a smirk on my face. (Hopefully those people can find work with real human beings now, EA = soulless, imo)
I don't think that EA is a bad place to work at, actually the opposite. It's just their consumer related decisions which are horrible. I'm only guessing though

thief183

Aug 23, 2018
Italy
I'm supposed to say that I'm sorry for the ppl that got layed off... but I'm not, if you decide to work for EA (for whatever reason, good or bad) you get all it came from it.

Reactions: CyRuZ
Oct 26, 2018
Hey gamers, this is EA PR dept. As usual we have to explain ourselves to the spoiled gaming community who follows our every move. Whereas banks, stores, car companies can fire people by the 1,000s, every time we let go even just one person, we have to explain ourselves.

Just to let you guys feel better, out of the 350 jobs, we are being vague and purposely stating marketing and publishing since you gamers don't like these depts anyway.

Here's a secret. We also let go some developer staff. But to shut you guys up, we didn't state it. If you want to find out who, you'll have to scour Twitter feeds and piece together which dev members got cut.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Apr 5, 2018
South Florida aka Outer Haven
I don't get why people do this. Why should I feel any sympathy for corporate mules that fucked up badly? Battlefield V sales must've dropped badly for this to happen and the people to blame are the whole company from top to bottom.

Not sure about that. BFV sold about 7.3 million units in 2 months. Not what they expected sure, but not something to fire 350 people for, sounds likely unrelated as I have a hard time believing over 7 million units sold in 2 months is a bad thing... So this sounds like they expected more, not that it didn't do well enough to exist or keep folks hired etc.

By that logic, it would be like Rockstar saying GTAVI failed cause it sold 50 million instead of 100 million or something. When you get to such high millions, they are simply expressing the want more, not that they are closing down based on that number or something lol

EDMIX

Apr 5, 2018
South Florida aka Outer Haven
I will never celebrate anyone losing their job but hopefully gaming companies can focus on making awesome games instead of "revenue streams" and "recurrent income" and "player 'engagement'"

I don't mind them doing that as they are still a business, but they must also look at the market as a whole vs just 1 success like Fortnight, PUBG etc. They still make quality single player games and I think they need to double down on doing that and showing that both concepts can exist. Ubisoft has done a great job of that this gen. It can be done. EA putting a new team on Mass Effect hurt them in many ways as it shows they don't take the concept seriously and thought anyone could just put out a AAA RPG if they had their papers in order so to speak. Bioware might have wanted to do a online MMO thing and a history of doing them like with KOTOR ONLINE, but they should have just let that team actually do Anthem (in terms of networking) and it wouldn't have been as bad as we are seeing.

So EA needs to put as much effort as we've seen them put in other IP, in actual single player IP. They have them, they simply don't roll out the red carpet and fireworks when they are being made. I respect them for trying a new IP as lots don't, but I have to ask.

Would they be spending so much on marketing and a budget if it was a single player game? So getting rid of Jade and Amy just made no sense as, EA had the lemons.

The simply knew not of making lemonade.

Uncharted is a massive success
Assassins creed is a massive success.

Both single player IP.

DeepEnigma

Dec 3, 2013
Fuck Andrew Wilson with his wording saying they made changes to 350 "roles".

No, they were PEOPLE that were let go.

Last edited: