• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELI5 what is a "waifu" ?

Danknugz

Always seeing people talking about "waifu" is it something to do with fantasizing about anime characters or something?

I would google it myself but then I would feel pretty bad about myself.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
This is a waifu.

6301fcf881224e84088f4e44ca13280d.jpg

Power Pro

so it's just any female anime character then?
I don't think anime, or even female is a pre-requisite. I think it just applies to any fictional character that you have a crush on. There can be male ones, but i guess some people might call them husbando.

I guess female anime characters make the best waifus though, cuz there are so many cute ones xD

SJRB

Always seeing people talking about "waifu" is it something to do with fantasizing about anime characters or something?

I would google it myself but then I would feel pretty bad about myself.

Cringe to the max.

Just go here and broaden your mind. No googling required.

feynoob

Otaku Jun GIF by Jin
Demon Anime Girl GIF by HIDIVE
otaku pillow GIF

Little bit reminder, most of these anime waifus are underage first year highschool. Becareful which anime you call it waifu.
hentai neko GIF

Happosai

I stopped watching 'new'anime in 2001. Back in the 80's or 90's the term was unheard of. If you think the whole waifu thing is weeby...they apparently have more defined categorizations like tsundere. I don't even know what that means lol.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I stopped watching 'new'anime in 2001. Back in the 80's or 90's the term was unheard of. If you think the whole waifu thing is weeby...they apparently have more defined categorizations like tsundere. I don't even know what that means lol.
Tsundere is basically that archetype where they're into you, but they're super mean to you. Think Naru from Love Hina or Asuka from Evangelion.

lachesis

Actually the girl I'm dating now, looks, acts and has voice like an anime waifu with heart of a gold and innocence. I'm kinda in a shock.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just a joke regarding infatuation with an anime or video game character. I think. I am not a scholar in Gen Z and Tumblr Studies.

Scotty W

It is originally the Japanese pronunciation of wife.

They have difficulty with the schwa & y combinations, and can’t stop themselves from adding vowels at the end of wordsu.

Top Bottom