• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic’s stunning new Unreal demos show off high-end ray tracing and photorealism

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you mean the demos ended up showing off actual next gen graphics: the UE3 Samaritan demo matched with batman arkham knight graphics... And it was open world too.

YO! This is a great comparison!!! Lets take a look.

6cee08b4-ddb3-491b-a899-fb9fc4b0730e-original.png

85442c51-78f9-4569-97ea-d0c39fdd5ced-original.png

14d48308-25dd-4c0d-a4b7-6a76f13483d2-original.png

Now for Batman Arkman Knight

3d6BATMANARKHAMKNIGHT20.jpg

420BATMANARKHAMKNIGHT20.jpg

3a2BATMANARKHAMKNIGHT20.jpg

651BATMANARKHAMKNIGHT20.jpg

pXtBbj.jpg

thelastword

Banned
This looks great but this has nothing to do with the level of details we can see here:

Compare the details on the ground, the variety of textures, the shading of the boulders, the quality of the focus blur.
The Death Stranding screenshot is great by today's standards, but almost nothing feels photo-realistic.

4iK1z9A.jpg

DJwxsjM.jpg

kltnDvG.jpg

WQOdKUG.jpg

julio_grr

Muarf. I have already seen all the Death Stranding trailers and demos, thank you.
The only approaching quality image is the one of the crab, and even the lighting could be better.
If you think the Decima engine can produce the image quality of Rebirth, yes you have to have your eyes checked.

llien

One important point here, colleagues, is that while reflections and realistic shades where doable using rasterization approach, it required quite a bit of effort.

With Ray Tracing, we can get that goodness (relatively) for free.

prag16

Banned
That's supposed to be Alicia Vikander in the second one? They kind of butchered her somewhat. Pretty impressive though, the first video moreso.

This looks great but this has nothing to do with the level of details we can see here:
c8e62b5c-5a53-40ae-9a07-a2d3a2982afd-original.png

Compare the details on the ground, the variety of textures, the shading of the boulders, the quality of the focus blur.
The Death Stranding screenshot is great by today's standards, but almost nothing feels photo-realistic.

I agree, nothing feels photo-realistic... but damn, that gets real close! I just wonder how far out, realistically, we are from having that at home at a reasonable price.

nikolino840

First one is very impressive. Troll looks about expected for a tech demo.

Things is, uncanny valley is a very difficult problem for simulating humans whether it's in body features or animation/movement.
This Is the best about human..but Is not rendered in Real time .. i don't think Is possibile with today gaming GPU ...

mortal

Phenomenal work. I especially loved the rebirth tech demo. Some of the shots in that have gorgeous compositions.

mckmas8808

Phenomenal work. I especially loved the rebirth tech demo. Some of the shots in that have gorgeous compositions.

The bolded is what many people are missing. It's not only about graphics. It's also about hiring people that understand great cinematography work.

mrMUR_96

blah blah blah tech demo. Show me gameplay that looks like this and i'll be impressed. Really sick of being lied to. If I wanna watch great cinematics, i'll pull up an old Final Fantasy movie.
This is meant to showcase UE's capabilities to film and vfx companies.

mrMUR_96

Wow, that first demo was amazing! So, this "high-end" ray tracing? Is there really such a thing or is it just ray tracing, with high-end attached to it? Also, does this mean that the ray tracing done today, like Battlefield 5, is not "true" ray tracing? I could have sworn that I've read that somewhere, it's not actual ray tracing, it's an approximation. Please let me know if I am completely off here, thank you!
Ray tracing in bfv is only for reflections. Ray tracing can be used to replace all visual features, but it's too expensive for games to run them all as of now.

mckmas8808

That level of destruction was amazing! If we can get Uncharted 4 level graphics, with that level of destruction physics in a PS5 game I'd be super happy.

MadAnon

yukkkkk the uncanny valley is still strong with this one
That's an actual uncanny valley because it really made me a bit uncomfortable watching, unlike Uncharted 4 or whatever people taunt as the holy grail of facial graphics where you can immediately see it's not even close to reality.

Last edited:

lukilladog

I´d put my money on next gen games looking more like that last clip, great graphics without ray tracing dragging performance down.

ZywyPL

Banned
What I hate in all tech demos, is the fact that the companies show you all the advanced stuff their engines can do, and as of recent years they even claim they run on a single GPU, as oppose to 3-4 Titans back in the PS3/X360 days, but for some unknown reason, they don't want to make a game based on such tech, like "look at how realistic games we can make! but we won't, haha, fuck you"... It's just all show and no go, like the industry is holding back progress on purpose... And judging by the tech demos vs actual games ratio, we are looking here at 2035+ stuff - very few games of this gen match the Samaritan tech demo, which was shown over a decade ago, Infiltrator demo was shown for the 1st time half a decade ago, and we will be really lucky if next-gen games come close to it, so those real-time ray-tracing demos is something we won't see anytime soon, to say the least.

Clear

What I hate in all tech demos, is the fact that the companies show you all the advanced stuff their engines can do, and as of recent years they even claim they run on a single GPU, as oppose to 3-4 Titans back in the PS3/X360 days, but for some unknown reason, they don't want to make a game based on such tech, like "look at how realistic games we can make! but we won't, haha, fuck you"... It's just all show and no go, like the industry is holding back progress on purpose... And judging by the tech demos vs actual games ratio, we are looking here at 2035+ stuff - very few games of this gen match the Samaritan tech demo, which was shown over a decade ago, Infiltrator demo was shown for the 1st time half a decade ago, and we will be really lucky if next-gen games come close to it, so those real-time ray-tracing demos is something we won't see anytime soon, to say the least.

There's a world of difference between an animation and a game.

So it turns out the impressive video is actually not using ray tracing.

It was a badly worded title trying to say they were showing off a Photorealistic tech demo and then a Ray tracing demo.

The photorealistic demo was using the baseline Unreal 4 engine built with Quixel megascan running on a 1080ti (~9 ish TFs). So... it may be possible we see games with that fidelity.

mckmas8808

We already have games that look as good as the Infiltrator demo THIS GEN! Your memory must be very bad, because games have matched alot of the demos that we've seen from UE3 and UE4.

Calibos

Unreal Engine continues to impress.

So it turns out the impressive video is actually not using ray tracing.

It was a badly worded title trying to say they were showing off a Photorealistic tech demo and then a Ray tracing demo.

The photorealistic demo was using the baseline Unreal 4 engine built with Quixel megascan running on a 1080ti (~9 ish TFs). So... it may be possible we see games with that fidelity.

This stuff is definitely coming at this fidelity. Time, Manpower and Megascans style textures and assets are what is needed. Without the high res, game ready work the Quixel team has put into their library of assets, this demo wouldn't be nearly as impressive. The Unreal Engine is great, but it's only as good as it's underlying assets when it comes to photo realism. With that said, the techniques Quixel uses to make their stuff can be done by any studio with the bandwidth. Dice has an impressive library of these style of assets and I would guess that Death Stranding is depending heavily on them too. The more people that learn photogrammetry and scanning, the more of this type of realism we will see.

mckmas8808

This stuff is definitely coming at this fidelity. Time, Manpower and Megascans style textures and assets are what is needed. Without the high res, game ready work the Quixel team has put into their library of assets, this demo wouldn't be nearly as impressive. The Unreal Engine is great, but it's only as good as it's underlying assets when it comes to photo realism. With that said, the techniques Quixel uses to make their stuff can be done by any studio with the bandwidth. Dice has an impressive library of these style of assets and I would guess that Death Stranding is depending heavily on them too. The more people that learn photogrammetry and scanning, the more of this type of realism we will see.

People forget that The Order 1886 used Photogrammetry (probably the best this generation).

LX0kvp.png

16405891937_642a3c81fc_o.jpg

qR0CpI.png

image_the_order_1886-25924-2752_0002.jpg

And this game came out February of 2015!!! Just 15 months after the launch of the OG PS4 .

Last edited:

Calibos

People forget that The Order 1886 used Photogrammetry (probably the best this generation).

LX0kvp.png

qR0CpI.png

And this game came out February of 2015!!! Just 15 months after the launch of the OG PS4 .

Sort of....RaD used photo scanning for their materials and they used a PBR workflow better than anyone at the time, but photogrammetry specifically is something based on taking photos of real objects and then re-creating them in 3d through "agisoft" or a similar program. RaD concepted and modeled their characters and things like that gadget in the last image from scratch so while scanned materials/textures were used, photogrammetry in the above sense probably wasn't.

A lot of techniques from there artists raised the bar though in my mind...two of the best realistic character artists in the industry worked there on this project so there is that...

JLMC469

Banned

LX0kvp.png

qR0CpI.png

I still feel RAD sold their souls to someone.

The game looks phenomenal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom