• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European hardware sales for Xbox 360= ~18,000 units/week.....can this be right??

Ghost said:
Why wouldnt MS be able to reach a million in the UK? Its clearly their biggest European market, id wager it was over 50% of that 1.3 million, so that'd put them over 600,000 already. Christmas will be HUGE for 360.
Do we have any numbers for UK? That "delusional" comment stemmed from 1.3 m shiped in EU as a whole, so this seemed "delusional" to me when I posted it. I will gladly revoke that comment if someone can provide numbers for UK.

I don't want to serve any fan group here.
logo5.jpg

(not until I get one of the next gen consoles at least ^^)

Pug

Gofreak, I used to house share with the manager of GAME cardiff (he's sinced moved on to become an estate agent, better money and people respect you more!!) they have 3 stores here. I'm sure MS buys space, I'm not sure they (GAME) actually push an individual console as such, but if you had targets to reach and the quota of PS3 were nowhere near enough what would you do this Xmas? Yep that it push the next best thing, 360. The numbers I have seen 360 in the UK should easily go past 1 million this holiday season. Phan, look at this way 360 in the UK is by far the biggest market in europe for the 360. Really it doesn't have to sell in berserk numbers to make 1 million.

frAntic_Frog said:
eh....1.3 million for the ENTIRE european region? how many sold in USA so far? in japan/asia?

how are they gonna hit 10million this holiday?

1.3m shipped till the end of June in Europe, that's all they said (thanks for correcting me @whoever it was a few pages ago :D). This can be clearly seen because they are also talking about 5m sold worldwide and the target of 10m worldwide till christmas (both the same as their shipment targets [10m] and their shipments according to the financial report till the end of June).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Once again, your argument basically boils down to "DS wins because Nintendo". Didn't PlayStation originally kill this sort of narrow mindedness in the 1990s?
Playstation might have killed something in your life back in the 90s but it certainly didn't kill the fact that Nintendo has a long pedigree of making quality software which many people clearly still give a lot of weight to (esp. in the handheld space where you yourself have said many times is where their best work has been in recent years).

But I'll try to remember for future reference that the revisionist thinking of the moment is that it's "narrowminded" to acknowledge that Nintendo's software pedigree is their most powerful tool in winning market dominance, alongside a platform roadmap that bolsters a foundation of familiarity from their previous efforts while adding some new features that don't mess with that foundation.

Jokeropia

kaching said:
Playstation might have killed something in your life back in the 90s but it certainly didn't kill the fact that Nintendo has a long pedigree of making quality software which many people clearly still give a lot of weight to (esp. in the handheld space where you yourself have said many times is where their best work has been in recent years).

But I'll try to remember for future reference that the revisionist thinking of the moment is that it's "narrowminded" to acknowledge that Nintendo's software pedigree is their most powerful tool in winning market dominance, alongside a platform roadmap that bolsters a foundation of familiarity from their previous efforts while adding some new features that don't mess with that foundation.
Blah, blah, blah. The point is that Nintendo software doesn't GUARANTEE a win like you seem to suggest. It didn't work for the N64 and it didn't work for the DS until the touch generations came along.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Of course there's always the PS2

if you are going to buy a PS3 if you miss out anyways, why would people buy a PS2?
as per pod cast : DS/PSP surely will pick up any slack money.
And the software that's the most overwhelmingly successful is the same software that had been on the GBA and prior - Nintendo software. The more things change, the more they stay the same, as the saying goes.

if we ignore the fact that Nintendo are actively pursuing older and female gamers with this software. And that is what has made the DS overwhealmingly successful , especially in Japan.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jokeropia said:
The point is that Nintendo software doesn't GUARANTEE a win like you seem to suggest.
Let me put you at ease then, because that's not what I'm suggesting at all. I said nothing about guarantees, I only said that it shouldn't come as any big surprise that Nintendo managed to retain market dominance, considering the factors I've listed.
DCharlie said:
if we ignore the fact that Nintendo are actively pursuing older and female gamers with this software.
Not being ignored, DC, just beside the point in this case. It's hardly counter to my point unless you're trying to tell me that Nintendo's pedigree isn't a significant factor in most of these older and female gamer's buying decisions.

Jokeropia

kaching said:
Let me put you at ease then, because that's not what I'm suggesting at all. I said nothing about guarantees, I only said that it shouldn't come as any big surprise that Nintendo managed to retain market dominance, considering the factors I've listed.
It certainly wasn't what gaming publications, market analysts or the Internet expected.

Pug said:
The numbers I have seen 360 in the UK should easily go past 1 million this holiday season. Phan, look at this way 360 in the UK is by far the biggest market in europe for the 360. Really it doesn't have to sell in berserk numbers to make 1 million.

I don't know what numbers u've seen but the xbox360 is no where near a million in the uk and won't break a million by the end of year either. In the uk this year it's only the 4th best selling peice of hardware with ds in first, ps2 second and psp 3rd.

jarrod said:
I'm still shocked that even in Sonyland proper (the UK) PSP still can't manage to outsell DS. The UK hates Nintendo, they've never had a number one platform in any competitive market over there.

I'm not surprised anymore, as Nintendo's marketing has consistently destroyed that of Sony's when it comes to the two handhelds. I know - that's shocking in itself, but it's true. The DS is genuinely mainstream here in the UK.

As for people citing the failure of previous FIFA games not impacting 360 sales, that's irrelevant. It's different this time around - when the PS3 launches, it's about perception. If the sort of people who'd buy a console for football games see that Sony's next-gen effort lacks them, they may consider a 360 purchase far more strongly.

It's been said before that the next-gen begins in the eyes of the consumer when Sony launch their latest console. People might not have been bothered about "next-gen" at all before they hit the market, but suddenly their aged PS2 just isn't enough! They want games with shinier visuals! They want FIFA and Pro Evo on a NEW console! They're going to go and buy PS3 ASAP to play these games! But then they learn that they cannot play them on PS3...they might not know that they'll be able to get them six months or a year down the line...all they'll see is that they cannot buy them now. Either way, that's not good for Sony's brand image...even if it doesn't result in an immediate, exponential rise in 360 sales.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Playstation might have killed something in your life back in the 90s
Well, it (in part) killed the Saturn... but honestly, given SEGA's direction back then, that would've happened regardless. Poor Saturn. :(

kaching said:
but it certainly didn't kill the fact that Nintendo has a long pedigree of making quality software which many people clearly still give a lot of weight to (esp. in the handheld space where you yourself have said many times is where their best work has been in recent years).
You're missing the point. Software driving DS sales is for the most part new software, directed at new demographics (who're chiefly the ones buying it). It's not selling because it's Nintendo software on a Nintendo handheld, and that in itself guarantees sales... what Nintendo's doing with DS is pretty clearly (in most regards) a break from what they'd done before in handhelds and with Game Boy. Different kinds of games, different market focus, different branding, new interfaces, new directions in general... it's basically the opposite of a "Super Famicom", "PlayStation 2" or "Game Boy Advance".

kaching said:
But I'll try to remember for future reference that the revisionist thinking of the moment
I'd say assuming perpetual, inherent Nintendo handheld dominace strikes much closer to defining "the revionist thinking of the moment". What happened, you sleep through 2004 or something?

kaching said:
is that it's "narrowminded" to acknowledge that Nintendo's software pedigree is their most powerful tool in winning market dominance, alongside a platform roadmap that bolsters a foundation of familiarity from their previous efforts while adding some new features that don't mess with that foundation.
Nintendo's software pedigree isn't moving DS... it's the actual software itself that's driving sales. New software at that, not tradionally Game Boy software... before Brain Training and Nintendogs, DS was selling on par with GameCube, usually under 100k monthly per region. You seem to have a basic problem reconciling that, again your basic argument boils down to "it sells because Nintendo"... am I misunderstanding you?

Top Bottom