• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 is coming to Nintendo Switch and Xbox One on March 26, 2019.

FStubbs

Final Fantasy 7 on Nintendo hardware is a symbolic closing of the worst chapter in Nintendo's history as a platform holder.

Kagey K

Banned
Anyone buy this on either system? Got 10.00 from MS last week for no reason and the only thing stopping me is I’m already hundreds of hours behind in my games, but withthe right incentive I could easily drop 10 from my bank on this.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Playing this right now. Ah I love this game.

The intro was so trippy, with the spooky drone and spinning star field. Felt like something out of Twin Peaks. Tbh a lot of the music in this does that too.

Backgrounds look pretty good, blurry but much better than the low red original. Models are all v sharp. It’s a 30fps presentation but I imagine that is tied to things like animation physics etc

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Never played this game.. I did enjoy FFX so is it worth a play through?

hell yes! this might be my favorite of all of their games. i think it has the most enemy variety tbh, which is pretty cool seeing as how it was in the first generation of 3D games ever. the backgrounds are also pretty wonderful, and it is going to be very hard for them to top them in the remake. they have these dramatic camera angles that only add to the Film Noir quality.

the start is very Blade Runner-ish. cyberpunk noir. but it opens up. my favorite place, the Golden Saucer, is a Las Vegas style low poly wonderland. the story is epic, the combat is fun, and the silliness it gets to is still charming. i think this has the best summons of any Final Fantasy game. you can tell they really wanted to impress how badass these giant dragons were with the new 3D technology.

Last edited:
Cool, now I get to find out what all the PS1 fanboys were searching for hints for back in 1999 after-school 56K Internet club.

Will buy.

Allandor

Still a great game. I absolutely love the old art style. Those low poly models of that time are great. Characters are recognizable but the most part must do your imagination.
Loading times are much better in FF VII than e.g. in FF IX (don't know what they did with the fight-loading times).
But they missed to integrate a pause-screen. E.g. if I open the xbox dashboard, the game still runs until the next text-box. The only way I know to pause the game is to pull the batteries out of the controller.
And the 3x speed option is really nice for this game. Old FF games tend to be grinding intensive. With this small speed improvement this is not such a pain.

But I really don't get it, why the game is "so large" (for a game that old). FF VII was a 3 Disc game on PS1 and PC. Now the game is bigger than 3GB. The videos were quite big in 1997 (awful compression with lots of artifacts and the PC version had all videos in 2 resolutions on the disc), but with current compression techniques they should really be quite small, even if they upped the resolution a bit. There is no speech in this game, I don't think, that the texts for the international release is so big.

Back then a much better RPG called Baldurs Gate was out.
Well, if you like such RPGs, yes, but not if you don't ;)

edit:
before I forget, FF VII is sadly no playanywhere title.

Last edited:
Top Bottom