• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI | OT | Vana'diel Forever

I finally finished up the Aht Urghan storyline during this free login period. Great stuff. Not as strong as Promathia, but still very entertaining. Jumping back into Wings of the Goddess has been a little difficult, however. I couldn't remember for the life of me which nation I was working for (it's been a year since I last played), so I had to talk to every quest-giving NPC I could find until I hit the right one lol

Hudo

I finally finished up the Aht Urghan storyline during this free login period. Great stuff. Not as strong as Promathia, but still very entertaining. Jumping back into Wings of the Goddess has been a little difficult, however. I couldn't remember for the life of me which nation I was working for (it's been a year since I last played), so I had to talk to every quest-giving NPC I could find until I hit the right one lol
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how would you compare the storylines of FF11 to the storylines of FF14? (If you have played both, that is)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how would you compare the storylines of FF11 to the storylines of FF14? (If you have played both, that is)
The base game of 11 barely has a story at all. It feels like an old-school MMO (naturally), where it just drops you into the world and leaves you to your devices. Eventually you pick up nation quests that take you through a short and relatively unsatisfying storyline (beat bad guy because he's bad. okay you beat him, gg).
But the first expansion (Rise of Zilart) is where things really pick up with more and longer cutscenes - they even going as far as to retcon/flesh out the base game's ending. The second expansion takes it even further, dealing with classic Final Fantasy tropes and enemies like Bahamut.

As for the quality of the storylines, I think both 11 and 14 are great. They actually have a lot of similarities in terms of themes and broader ideas (like the existence of beast tribes, though their purpose may differ). Sorry if I'm being too vague, but if you want to experience it yourself sometime then it's best that I remain vague. There's also the possibility that more 11 themes will make their way over to 14 so I'd rather not inadvertently spoil anything.
But if you ever do play it, keep in mind that the pace of gameplay is COMPLETELY different. Again, this is an old school MMO through and through.

Hudo

The base game of 11 barely has a story at all. It feels like an old-school MMO (naturally), where it just drops you into the world and leaves you to your devices. Eventually you pick up nation quests that take you through a short and relatively unsatisfying storyline (beat bad guy because he's bad. okay you beat him, gg).
But the first expansion (Rise of Zilart) is where things really pick up with more and longer cutscenes - they even going as far as to retcon/flesh out the base game's ending. The second expansion takes it even further, dealing with classic Final Fantasy tropes and enemies like Bahamut.

As for the quality of the storylines, I think both 11 and 14 are great. They actually have a lot of similarities in terms of themes and broader ideas (like the existence of beast tribes, though their purpose may differ). Sorry if I'm being too vague, but if you want to experience it yourself sometime then it's best that I remain vague. There's also the possibility that more 11 themes will make their way over to 14 so I'd rather not inadvertently spoil anything.
But if you ever do play it, keep in mind that the pace of gameplay is COMPLETELY different. Again, this is an old school MMO through and through.
Wow! Thank you for your detailed answer! Don't worry about being too vague. It is already more information that I'd hoped for! Being an "old-school style" MMO is one of the reasons why I am interested in FF11. The only thing that is annoying is the whole deal with PlayOnline. Square have hinted that they're working on streamlining this, so this is what I am waiting for, actually. FF14 is not bad as well but I have this weird fascination with FF11. I admit that my only MMO experience are WoW, which I played from Beta up to Cataclysm and FF14 (which I still play on occasion).

Shouta

You can download the game without using Playonline now, there's a link on the website to get the full game. Account stuff is handled with your Square-Enix account as well. So you just need to login into POL to get into the game is all, really.

Shouta

I’m curious if there is a guide to get to level 99? I’m returning after like 5-8 years lol.

There's a quickstart guide for 1-119 here: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide
A guide about what's been added, changed, and what's relevant can be found here: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana'diel
If you're looking for general XPing places with your Trusts this is good: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fantastic_EXPs_and_Where_to_Find_Them

I've done a few of my jobs that were at 90 using these and I took Rune Fencer from 30 to 99 as well. I'm planning on doing it for Summoner soon. =o FFXIclopedia and FFXIah are good resources as well which may have information that the BGwiki doesn't have on occasion.

Last edited:

demigod

I transferred to Asura since transferring is currently on sale. Wow you can just buy armor on here, lol.

Anyone have a linkshell going on that does stuff on weekends? Preferably for noobs.

Last edited:

Shouta

I'll probably be transferring over to Asura next time I sub though that might be a bit since I'm busy with a lot of other games.

Hey man. I’m in Asura too.

I don’t know Gromph but I just started again too. I just joined this Linkshell called Wolfpacknaton so I’m not sure how they are or anything. Send me a message on Soloss and we can at least add each other to friends list.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
If you guys need help in Asura, let me know.. My char is Lirain pm me here and will login and help if i'm at home.

demigod

Mine is Bloodberrie. I joined some new linkshell hopefully they do some content and help out. If anyone wants to join let me know, LS is called FilthWizards.

Shantae

Banned
Seeing this thread pop up just made me all nostalgic for this game. I haven't played in years, since a lot of the solo content came out for it. I miss it so much, but I mostly played on consoles, and those versions are gone now. I've tried logging in on FFXIV so many times hoping to recapture my joy that FFXI gave me, but FFXIV just doesn't do it for me. FFXI will always be the best game in the genre for me, but I don't know if I could ever go back.

I always had a hard enough time making friends in FFXI, but joining up with parties still let me be social. When the game made it more soloable, it hurt part of what made it so endearing for me. I'm sure there's end game content that still requires big alliances, but I barely ever touched end game stuff in the game. Grinding parties, and main missions were most of what I ever touched in the game. I only got 1 job above lv75 when they started raising the cap beyond that.

Top Bottom