• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Hmm, is it the same in all Pro modes? What about other games in 4K modes?

Like I said before, this is only for FFXV full game, some indies like Neon Chrome and all PS2 Classics. All other games work fine even in Native 4K. This didn't happen in Platinum demo and Judgement Disc.

Did you check your display settings on the PS4?

If you read my previous post, enlarging display screen in PS4 settings makes the screen full for this game but makes the PS4 UI huge and can't see the icons and I can't keep this for normal games. This is a bummer if I need to do this all the time whenever I want to play the game.

Koozek

Like I said before, this is only for FFXV full game, some indies like Neon Chrome and all PS2 Classics. All other games work fine even in Native 4K. This didn't happen in Platinum demo and Judgement Disc.

If you read my previous post, enlarging display screen in PS4 settings makes the screen full for this game but makes the PS4 UI huge and can't see the icons and I can't keep this for normal games. This is a bummer if I need to do this all the time whenever I want to play the game.
Hm, then I don't know what else you could do, unfortunately. I wonder why this only affects some TVs.

Does it look blurry when you zoom in? Is the text readable?

Hmmm. I had this problem once before and my problem was in my PS4 display settings. I had to reset all my settings.

So if that doesn't work for you then I am not sure what it is.

I predict a loooot of focus on Comrades.

I expect some of that too. I am excited for Comrades.

Koozek

Hmmm. I had this problem once before and my problem was in my PS4 display settings. I had to reset all my settings.

Maybe select again the resolution you want to use in your PS4 (2160P aka. 4K) and restart the game.

I expect some of that too. I am excited for Comrades.
Tbh, I was more hyped when I thought it would be possible to co-op freely through the open-world and not just mission-based (it is only that, right?).

Tbh, I was more hyped when I thought it would be possible to co-op freely through the open-world and not just mission-based (it is only that, right?).

I am more excited for it to be more mission-based tbh. It focuses it on making the missions fun and can help focus the story in the multiplayer.

I think freely exploring the open world with a co-op party that would drop in and out would've caused issues, where as the mission structure helps give a timetable on how long your playing with certain people, instead of wandering aimlessly.

This structures it a lot like PSO2 and I am a fan of that design choice.

Hm, then I don't know what else you could do, unfortunately. I wonder why this only affects some TVs.

Does it look blurry when you zoom in? Is the text readable?

Nothing is blurry.

Maybe select again the resolution you want to use in your PS4 (2160P aka. 4K) and restart the .

Yeah. I have the PS4 Pro set to 2160p by default. Judgment Disc had PS4 Pro support so the resolution was 1800p checkerboard and I didn't need to adjust anything.
The strange thing is that there is a display option in the settings in the final game but it doesn't adjust anything. It just suggests me to change display setting in the PS4 system. This really stupid to include it then. If I could adjust the screen in the options of the game for this game only then the problem would have been solved.

Koozek

Nothing is blurry.

Yeah. I have the PS4 Pro set to 2160p by default. Judgment Disc had PS4 Pro support so the resolution was 1800p checkerboard and I didn't need to adjust anything.
The strange thing is that there is a display option in the settings in the final game but it doesn't adjust anything. It just suggests me to change display setting in the PS4 system. This really stupid to include it then. If I could adjust the screen in the options of the game for this game only then the problem would have been solved.
Sorry, no idea anymore. You know, on launch some people with TVs that have no option to turn off overscan had borders cut off in the game and couldn't see the MP bar. Then they fixed that for those people with patch 1.03, but also introduced this new issue that you have for some other people.

Koozek

Lets gooooooooooo.
tV5IHxb.gif

Does this game have the greatest art direction of all time?
Based Makuzawa.
Very nice artwork! Looks like Lestalleum in the corner?
Yeah.

Ketaya

Nothing is blurry.

Disabling Overscan and setting the PS4 displayarea to maximum is exactly how it is supposed to be. If that removes the black bars in FF15 and none of the UI is cut off then it's working perfectly as intended. If other games don't work this way then those games are broken or your TV behaves weird. Or maybe you're just not used to seeing games and system UI the way they are supposed to be (Yes, the PS4 UI is really big). The option in the game is only there to inform people about the system setting.

The demos worked differently because they didn't support the PS4 displayarea setting, which was patched in with 1.03.

And again FF15 is working as intended, there's nothing to fix on the games side. It's all the PS4 and TV settings.

Code:
[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJ2F9TiUEAAUlxv.jpg[/IMG]
https://twitter.com/11jm29/status/909029996638826496
Hm, I wonder if that's just supposed to be a bunch of custom characters or if maybe they are characters we'll see in the story mode.

Disabling Overscan and setting the PS4 displayarea to maximum is exactly how it is supposed to be. If that removes the black bars in FF15 and none of the UI is cut off then it's working perfectly as intended. If other games don't work this way then those games are broken or your TV behaves weird. Or maybe you're just not used to seeing games and system UI the way they are supposed to be (Yes, the PS4 UI is really big). The option in the game is only there to inform people about the system setting.

The demos worked differently because they didn't support the PS4 displayarea setting, which was patched in with 1.03.

And again FF15 is working as intended, there's nothing to fix on the games side. It's all the PS4 and TV settings.

Hm, I wonder if that's just supposed to be a bunch of custom characters or if maybe they are characters we'll see in the story mode.

If maximize the screen size in PS4 settings, I don't need to disable overscan since the screen is full like that. But like I said before this is only in FFXV, some very few indies and the full FFXV. When I keep the screen to maximum in PS4 settings, all the other games get cut, no UI, and very zoomed in and it is best played like it was by default on the PS4 settings. I really think they should have made screen adjusting possible in FFXV settings and not needing to adjust via PS4 settings, otherwise why would this option even exist in the game options?

Ketaya

If maximize the screen size in PS4 settings, I don't need to disable overscan since the screen is full like that. But like I said before this is only in FFXV, some very few indies and the full FFXV. When I keep the screen to maximum in PS4 settings, all the other games get cut, no UI, and very zoomed in and it is best played like it was by default on the PS4 settings. I really think they should have made screen adjusting possible in FFXV settings and not needing to adjust via PS4 settings, otherwise why would this option even exist in the game options?

Hmm, well if you maximize screensize without disabling overscan then of cause it's going to be cut off in a lot of instances since the TV isn't showing the entire screen.
How does it look with maximized screensize and disabled overscan? Has FF15 still black bars that way? How about other games with disabled overscan and maximum screensize? They looked normal with PS4 standard setting + overscan because the standard setting is accounting for active overscan, also most games in my experience don't use black bars to adjust for overscan and just move the UI so you can't easily notice a wrong setting.

The ingame info is only there because many people don't know about the systemwide setting and have it set wrong.
The system setting exists so that devs don't have to implement it themselves like on Xbox (if Microsoft didn't add this option since last I checked)
where most games just have a standard offset for the UI that can't be changed (because a lot of devs don't bother adding the option themselves),
while on PS4 most games set the offset for the UI (or in FF15 and some other games case the entire screen) based on the system setting, allowing it to be closer to the edge of the screen, similar to the PC version in many cases.

We wouldn't have these problems if TV manufacturers had just dropped overscan when introducing HD screens, it's just completely pointless and shouldn't exist anymore.

Hmm, well if you maximize screensize without disabling overscan then of cause it's going to be cut off in a lot of instances since the TV isn't showing the entire screen.
How does it look with maximized screensize and disabled overscan? Has FF15 still black bars that way? How about other games with disabled overscan and maximum screensize? They looked normal with PS4 standard setting + overscan because the standard setting is accounting for active overscan, also most games in my experience don't use black bars to adjust for overscan and just move the UI so you can't easily notice a wrong setting.

The ingame info is only there because many people don't know about the systemwide setting and have it set wrong.
The system setting exists so that devs don't have to implement it themselves like on Xbox (if Microsoft didn't add this option since last I checked)
where most games just have a standard offset for the UI that can't be changed (because a lot of devs don't bother adding the option themselves),
while on PS4 most games set the offset for the UI (or in FF15 and some other games case the entire screen) based on the system setting, allowing it to be closer to the edge of the screen, similar to the PC version in many cases.

We wouldn't have these problems if TV manufacturers had just dropped overscan when introducing HD screens, it's just completely pointless and shouldn't exist anymore.

First, if I disbale overscan, I get the screen not displaying everything from the beginning and I take for example the FFXV Premium Theme: The Square-Enix trademark words thing don't get displayed fully because it looks zoomed in. Maximizing screen in PS4 setting even worsens the scenario.

So I would rather keep overscan on, since it messes up the whole thing.
(Btw, I said in a previous post that disabling overscan makes the blacks bars a little smaller but that is all). I can have FFXV displayed in full screen by maxmimizng the screen size in PS4 settings, but this is really infuriating to keep shrinking it every time I play other games and sometimes I forget to do it and get messed up screen. This is like many games which have so many other languages whether for the menu or for subtitles or for voices but you don't have an option to switch all of those in the game and you have to switch the whole console system to do it. This is really very dumb.
Something weird I noticed in that screen display option: on the bottom it is said this only works for certain apps.

So this is like I said for all the otehr games it is fine but not in FFXV the only AAA game that has this issue besides some indies and PS2 classics. Really weird tbh.

Ketaya

First, if I disbale overscan, I get the screen not displaying everything from the beginning and I take for example the FFXV Premium Theme: The Square-Enix trademark words thing don't get displayed fully because it looks zoomed in. Maximizing screen in PS4 setting even worsens the scenario.

So I would rather keep overscan on, since it messes up the whole thing.
(Btw, I said in a previous post that disabling overscan makes the blacks bars a little smaller but that is all). I can have FFXV displayed in full screen by maxmimizng the screen size in PS4 settings, but this is really infuriating to keep shrinking it every time I play other games and sometimes I forget to do it and get messed up screen. This is like many games which have so many other languages whether for the menu or for subtitles or for voices but you don't have an option to switch all of those in the game and you have to switch the whole console system to do it. This is really very dumb.
Something weird I noticed in that screen display option: on the bottom it is said this only works for certain apps.

So this is like I said for all the otehr games it is fine but not in FFXV the only AAA game that has this issue besides some indies and PS2 classics. Really weird tbh.

Ah, okay, there was a misunderstanding with what we both meant with active/disabled overscan.
We used it in the exact opposite way. To clearify what I meant (and how I think the term overscan is used normally):

-Overscan on = TV zooms in / edges cut off
-Overscan off = TV shows image in full

So that's all good on your end there, TV doesn't zoom in, keep it that way.
I don't understand why other games are cut off when using max screensize and the TV isn't zooming in, that shouldn't happen.
When adjusting the screensize in the PS4 settings, can you still see the corner markers at max setting? If not try reducing until you can see them and they align with your TVs screen edge. Just to make sure, this is how it should look:

If you can see them at max screensize then I don't know whats going on either. Because when the corner markers in the PS4 setting are perfectly aligned with your TV ALL games should display correctly and you shouldn't need to ever change it.

And yes, not all apps support the systemwide screen setting, but these apps don't matter right now since, well, they are not affected by it.

Or am I misunderstanding you and the UI/subtitles in other games are not cut off, but just to close to the edge for your liking at full screensize?

In Hitman for example this is how the menu looks with min screen size (standard setting I think):

And this at max screen size (how it should be):

What's a good level to start considering end game? These daemons were kicking my ass at the end so I've gone back to the open world to lay low and tackle low level monster hunts lol. I'm at the high 30s, low 40s mark. As I've posted earlier, maybe I just can't get the hang of this combat.

What's a good level to start considering end game? These daemons were kicking my ass at the end so I've gone back to the open world to lay low and tackle low level monster hunts lol. I'm at the high 30s, low 40s mark. As I've posted earlier, maybe I just can't get the hang of this combat.

You can run past the strong monsters in last area. Level 40 should be fine.

If you're having trouble you can do some side quests or find better weapons though.

Keym

You're meant to run away from some of those monsters in the final area, don't worry about it. You can beat the final boss if you're in the low 40's.

Ah, okay, there was a misunderstanding with what we both meant with active/disabled overscan.
We used it in the exact opposite way. To clearify what I meant (and how I think the term overscan is used normally):

-Overscan on = TV zooms in / edges cut off
-Overscan off = TV shows image in full

So that's all good on your end there, TV doesn't zoom in, keep it that way.
I don't understand why other games are cut off when using max screensize and the TV isn't zooming in, that shouldn't happen.
When adjusting the screensize in the PS4 settings, can you still see the corner markers at max setting? If not try reducing until you can see them and they align with your TVs screen edge. Just to make sure, this is how it should look:

If you can see them at max screensize then I don't know whats going on either. Because when the corner markers in the PS4 setting are perfectly aligned with your TV ALL games should display correctly and you shouldn't need to ever change it.

And yes, not all apps support the systemwide screen setting, but these apps don't matter right now since, well, they are not affected by it.

Or am I misunderstanding you and the UI/subtitles in other games are not cut off, but just to close to the edge for your liking at full screensize?

In Hitman for example this is how the menu looks with min screen size (standard setting I think):

And this at max screen size (how it should be):

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah when I max out the screen, I don't see the corners like it should be and your screen.
And thanks for the Hitman screens. I tried it and it looked like these two when screen is minimal and maximal. I like the minimal version tbh, it displays more stuff and tabs.
I still insist that this option should have been available in FFXV display option so I don't need to use PS4 settings. It is like as I said before with changing game language by changing system language instead of doing it in game options. Imagine if you have to change the whole Windows language thus reinstalling the whole OS in order to change the game language. Very dumb.

One thing very weird I noticed though in FFXV when system screen size is maxed (the only way to play normally) is that the sun looks oval and some other geometries look awkward too. The case of FFXV is so messed up, there is no doubt.

Toth

Stop that lol You're getting us too excited.

I do hope we get some info on those story changes they keep promising though. It's time to end the transparency and at least detail what things are being done. IIRC we should be at the mid goal time period of promised changes.

Stop that lol You're getting us too excited.

I do hope we get some info on those story changes they keep promising though. It's time to end the transparency and at least detail what things are being done. IIRC we should be at the mid goal time period of promised changes.

I'm just excited for Comrades man. :D

Also now in Dissidia NT...

DKEnLLKV4AAEO0m.jpg

DKFwctyV4AAn3Aq.jpg

DKFwcFeUEAAHg1Q.jpg

What are your preferred weapons, folks?

I have Ragnarok and based on talks of it and noticing it voids progress in the timed quests, I'm guessing that's an uber weapon (despite not having the highest damage stat)?

I've been rotating in royal arms as I get them so I have pop's sword and the star in my arsenal (the katana before that). And the ring. Is an upgraded engine blade a good option?

Speaking of, what the hell is taking Cid so long with some of the upgrades lol? They've been taking up space in my quest list for some time now.

Xetherion

I have Ragnarok and based on talks of it and noticing it voids progress in the timed quests, I'm guessing that's an uber weapon (despite not having the highest damage stat)?

I've been rotating in royal arms as I get them so I have pop's sword and the star in my arsenal (the katana before that). And the ring. Is an upgraded engine blade a good option?

Speaking of, what the hell is taking Cid so long with some of the upgrades lol? They've been taking up space in my quest list for some time now.

The fully upgraded Engine Blade is my strongest weapon that isn't a royal arms.

My favorite weapon type is daggers though. I prefer the faster weapons over the hard-hitting but slow weapons.

Koozek

You gotta sleep 2-3 times, or 2 hunts and 1 sleep or something like that, for Cid to call you and tell you he finished, iirc.

I always had the Royal Shield equipped just for the stat boosts (since all 4 equipped weapons add to your total stats even if you don't use them), and also the Royal Bow for the totally OP combo when using Ignis' Overwhelm technique (you can mow down pretty much anything quickly this way). Then in the other two slots either the Balmung Sword or Ultima Blade and Zwill Crossblades or The Dominator depending on the type of enemies.

Ragnarok did 9999 with almost every warp-strike, lol. Post-game dungeons were piss easy with that (was at level 120 too).

The thing is, I have an Engine Blade III but it's also marked that I have an active quest for a stronger engine blade III... does it go up to four or is this a glitch? And he finally finished a couple only because I talked to him. I don't recall missing a phone call because I always go back immediately but maybe not.

Anyway, beat the game finally. I've viewed the ending back when it leaked but it was still nice to earn it myself.

I still wish we learned
Noctis' bloodline was linked to Diablos which would explain their magic, dark/death motifs and be a stronger plot point for the astral stuff.
I don't know, there are so many holes or just poorly explained bits in the story that I can probably make some kind of head canon make sense.

But that makes me seem like I'm really down on the game. No, I actually enjoyed it. I didn't like potion popping every five seconds in some encounters (those fucking whisker leopards!) but I thought it was good fun overall.

I was hoping i could avoid seeing who the guest character was for Episode Ignis, that lasted about 3 days lol.

Stupid youtube recommendations, oh well. Not a big deal.

Top Bottom