• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Preview Embargo ending next week (Reddit Rumor)

CunningPlan

Neo Member
Yeah the demo stuff seems BS then, but preview rumour seems legit enough. Supposedly tomorrow at 2PM (GMT) the embargo lifts and they'll begin releasing.
Genuinely can't wait to hear more about this game. Annoyingly start work at 2pm GMT tomorrow...

SafeOrAlone

Banned
What specific team is behind this one? I know FFXV was a mess of development, but it was ultimately disappointing imo.

Is this a different team than the one that finished XV?

Teslerum

It's the XIV Online team, zero overlap with XV. XV guys made forspoken
Specifically its the Realm Reborn/Heavensward (just expansion/before patches) team. They moved over to XVI after Heavensward released.

In single player FF terms it's a team that worked on the Ivalice titles (Tactics/Vagrant Story/12, Art Director was with Matsuno even back at Quest) directed by a SAGA guy.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Specifically its the Realm Reborn/Heavensward (just expansion/before patches) team. They moved over to XVI after Heavensward released.

In single player FF terms it's a team that worked on the Ivalice titles (Tactics/Vagrant Story/12, Art Director was with Matsuno even back at Quest) directed by a SAGA guy.
Awesome team to see assembled and given the reigns over a new numbered FF game.

Last edited:
Seems like tomorrow is the day

BcMVi8s.jpg

wvnative

The game (for me) is going too much toward "Souls" route with main focus on one character.

I am much more interested in FFVIIR2 and DQ12 (hell, DQ3 remake too) vs XVI at this juncture.
But that one character can switch between several different fighting styles, it's basically like having multiple characters.

StereoVsn

I'm ready!
m3gan-megan.gif
ff7r-ff7remake.gif

With that logic, does Nier or even entire Drakengard series are Souls game?
From previews FFXVI seemed like it was going for tougher, more deliberate single character combat.

At least overall it felt closer to "Soulslike" vs something like Nier. Also, which Nier (1st or 2nd or remake)?

I don’t care you still have a party, you just mostly fight with Clive, which is what matters. I just like having party for narrative purposes

ZrKYfnk.png

Last edited:

StereoVsn

But that one character can switch between several different fighting styles, it's basically like having multiple characters.
I guess we shall see once full previews and demos hit. If it's more like a character action game, definitely can't take that for like 50-60 hours and I like DMC series.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From previews FFXVI seemed like it was going for tougher, more deliberate single character combat.

At least overall it felt closer to "Soulslike" vs something like Nier. Also, which Nier (1st or 2nd or remake)?
Having challenging combat doesn't make game "Souls-like" (people should really stop saying this) and from the footage we seen so far it plays nothing like Souls game I ever seen.
ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi.gif
ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi.gif

Also both Drakengard and Nier you only control one character, you have AI party but you have no control over them.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Also, also, original Persona 3 and Persona 3FES you could control one character, I guess that is also makes that Persona 3"Souls-like".......apparently.

Synless

One thing I am always reminded about in new Final Fantasy game threads is that there is constantly a fucking whirlwind of hate or praise for any or no past Final Fantasy and the new one.

StereoVsn

Also, also, original Persona 3 and Persona 3FES you could control one character, I guess that is also makes that Persona 3"Souls-like".......apparently.
This is a silly comparison. FFXIV going with solo combat character, more gritty look, tougher combat (maybe more character action vs souls like, granted), and general vibe do feel like a Souls-like or perhaps DMV derivative.

Anyways I will just agree to disagree with folks here, to each their own. Personally nothing I have seen of XVI interests me.

Now, FFVIIR-2 is a whole different story alongside DQ games and many others.

Danjin44

This is a silly comparison. FFXIV going with solo combat character, more gritty look, tougher combat (maybe more character action vs souls like, granted), and general vibe do feel like a Souls-like or perhaps DMV derivative.

Anyways I will just agree to disagree with folks here, to each their own. Personally nothing I have seen of XVI interests me.

Now, FFVIIR-2 is a whole different story alongside DQ games and many others.
Because we had solo character in RPGs even before Souls games like Kingdom Hearts and Drakengard. If you are more in to party based RPGs thats fine but I'm so tired of people calling every game "Souls-like" which has no logic behind it.

Last edited:
All I want is a hard confirmation that the game will have some CGI cinematics

JvO2mlL.gif

Please

That’s the only thing I need at this point and I’m good

No the in-game visuals aren’t good enough idc

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

All I want is a hard confirmation that the game will have some CGI cinematics

JvO2mlL.gif

Please

That’s the only thing I need at this point and I’m good

No the in-game visuals aren’t good enough idc
I don't have much hope, perhaps an opening and ending sequence only.

Visual works is helping out with the in-game cutscenes though to give them a CG feel and scale though.

Top Bottom