• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

I recently had to do a wipe on my computer and since I didn't have any knowledge I thought when I searched bookmarks in my pc, that those files would work when I saved them, but they don't. Is there a way to restore my bookmarks from the jsonlz4 file format. There are some crucial links I need that I don't remember the names of.

I recently had to do a wipe on my computer and since I didn't have any knowledge I thought when I searched bookmarks in my pc, that those files would work when I saved them, but they don't. Is there a way to restore my bookmarks from the jsonlz4 file format. There are some crucial links I need that I don't remember the names of.

Close Firefox

Go to your Firefox profile folder
Delete places.sqlite

Go to the Bookmarkbackups subfolder
Delete all jsonlz4 files there
Paste your jsonlz4 file containing your old bookmarks there

Launch Firefox
Restore the bookmark backup in the bookmarks menu

Close Firefox

Go to your Firefox profile folder
Delete places.sqlite

Go to the Bookmarkbackups subfolder
Delete all jsonlz4 files there
Paste your jsonlz4 file containing your old bookmarks there

Launch Firefox
Restore the bookmark backup in the bookmarks menu

Thanks Gohan. I don't care what anyone says, you're a good character. This is one of the times where Google wasn't helpful.

NoRéN

After a firefox update today firefox stopped working properly. It would launch but no websites would load. If I closed it it would not open again. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it seemed to fix the issue at first but after closing firefox it failed to start up again.

Anyone else have this issue?

Firefox used to be the only browser that didn't choke on heavy image threads. So now I don't see any other option. Chrome has always been horrible loading GIFs

pestul

As posted in the OT thread, mine just updated to 44.0.2 and the gif problem appears to be gone. The BvS Final trailer thread is loaded with huge gifs and I'm above to hold page-down or scroll with no more lockups.

CodeNfX

I can't seem to download anything on Firefox whether it's iTunes, handbrake, Skype. When I click download, nothing happens, I tried clearing cookies. I'm on Windows 10 and Firefox is up to date. Anyone know the issue?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I can't seem to download anything on Firefox whether it's iTunes, handbrake, Skype. When I click download, nothing happens, I tried clearing cookies. I'm on Windows 10 and Firefox is up to date. Anyone know the issue?
You sure you don't have some access rights or some kind of malware?

CodeNfX

You sure you don't have some access rights or some kind of malware?

I have Malwarebytes, NoScript and Adblock protection, I check the settings but don't see any problems (I think). It was working fine before, just the last couple days I couldn't download all of the sudden. Using Microsoft Edge still works for downloads, don't want to rely on that though.

Edit: I'm an idiot, the download prompt window was hidden on the corner of my 2nd monitor, no idea how that happen. Hours wasted trying to find the solution :p

Is someone who's using adblock suddenly see white (or black depending on the theme) boxes next to the neogaf logo (I guess it's where the ads are)?
Usually I didn't have them but from a couple of days ago they popped up.
No problem on chrome.

I find it odd that I've had no issues. Any pages for me to test to see if I can make my FF shit itself?

I don't even need a page full of GIFs, just one causes it to happen. It's as if the page/GIF isn't getting fully loaded as I scroll but once I reach a certain point, usually just before a post with a GIF, it'll stop responding for a couple seconds or more before working again. I tried disabling all my add ons (which are really just the standard ones) but it'd still do it. I think the large the GIF the longer it'll hang.

Fake edit: Just found this topic with mentions of the same thing happening, I should probably try some of the suggestions there, especially downloading the 64-bit version, hmm.

inm8num2

Firefox, DRM, and the end of NPAPI

There has been lots of talk about the end of the classic NPAPI interface which is currently supported by all versions of Firefox to make third-party technologies available in the browser.

The most popular plugins currently supported are Adobe Flash and Java, but there are more plugins that Firefox may pick up to make their functionality available.

Google kicked NPAPI out in Chrome 45 when it stopped support for NPAPI, and Mozilla announced that it would end support as well.

Firefox now comes with GTK3 integration on Linux:

H3EYxo5.jpg

Schrade

Is your Firefox still freezing/hanging when a GIF is being loaded? It's so annoying.

I don't use Firefox anymore but Cyberfox is mostly in line with Firefox's version and yes, it still does that. Pretty annoying.

I don't have that problem at all in Pale Moon (which I use at home)

Savitar

Holy crap Firefox is suddenly so bad for me, I've heard the horror stories but it's the first time I'm seeing them. Constant crashing, freezing, high CPU usage, screen tearing. It's a serious WTF that I'm actually looking for alt browsers now, looked at Chrome but it doesn't seem to have some of the features which I like.

tuffy

I'd been using Firefox for years and years, but the freezing on animated gifs finally pushed me over to Vivaldi. Those lockups just scrolling down a page became too disruptive to stand any longer. uBlock Origin has been working as a NoScript substitute and I can live without syncing in the short term, but I'm a little sad to have to let Firefox go.

Ran rp

I'd been using Firefox for years and years, but the freezing on animated gifs finally pushed me over to Vivaldi. Those lockups just scrolling down a page became too disruptive to stand any longer. uBlock Origin has been working as a NoScript substitute and I can live without syncing in the short term, but I'm a little sad to have to let Firefox go.

you should be using uMatrix

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I used the 'upload to imgur' extension a lot, it added a right click menu to immediately up something to imgur. That doesn't work anymore, and imgur redirects you to a solution, but I don't understand how that alternative works. Is there an easy replacement?

tuffy

PSY・S;202669003 said:
you should be using uMatrix
After trying it out this morning for a few hours, I think you're right. After being used to using NoScript for so long, I appreciate uMatrix's level of granularity for whitelisting things.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is it me or is the latest version choking on 1080p60 YouTube videos? After a while the videos start lagging behind the audio, then freezing, then catching up to the audio, then lagging, freezing, catching up...

I'd never had that issue before these past few days.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Firefox 47 is out today.

Is your Firefox still freezing/hanging when a GIF is being loaded? It's so annoying.

I don't use Firefox anymore but Cyberfox is mostly in line with Firefox's version and yes, it still does that. Pretty annoying.

I'd been using Firefox for years and years, but the freezing on animated gifs finally pushed me over to Vivaldi. Those lockups just scrolling down a page became too disruptive to stand any longer.

The issue with GIFs causing Firefox to freeze up appears to have finally been fixed in 47.0. Thank god as that was probably the biggest issue for me the last few versions.

Schrade

Firefox 47 is out today.

The issue with GIFs causing Firefox to freeze up appears to have finally been fixed in 47.0. Thank god as that was probably the biggest issue for me the last few versions.

Yup. Everything is running smooth as butter again. Damn.. why'd it take so long to fix that?

Schrade

So far, so good. No freezes yet, though I haven't visited GIF heavy threads.

I've been plowing through many GIF heavy threads and it's working sooooo much better.

RAM isn't bloating at all now, too.

It is literally taking less than half the RAM that it used to take for me after days of running constantly + 100ish tabs.

(1.7 gigs -> 720ish megs)

Top Bottom