• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

manfestival

I have never in my life looked toned but apparently always looked like a pitbull(recently asked if I was a rugby player). I almost exclusively do cardio or calisthenics to some degree. Should I start taking supplements? I barely lift weights anymore because I bulk up fast and I get big but it is not the look I desire.

Drake

Weiged myself today. Currently weighing in at 166. That's 52 pounds down. Kind of annoyed that after down this much weight I still have a bit of a gut. I really want a flat stomach. Goal weight was 160 anyways, so we'll see what I look like when i hit that weight.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
God Enel God Enel Still in the gym, but mostly following routine. It is difficult to be 100% consistent though with a small child, I think I have been to the gym twice a week more often than thrice a week this year so far. But in 1.5 months our team competition season starts, so I asked my little son to be nice to mummy on my training days so I need not skip any. His answer was "aguu", so I am unsure whether he agreed.

Last edited:

God Enel

God Enel God Enel Still in the gym, but mostly following routine. It is difficult to be 100% consistent though with a small child, I think I have been to the gym twice a week more often than thrice a week this year so far. But in 1.5 months, so I asked my little son to be nice to mummy on my training days so I need not skip any. His answer was "aguu", so I am unsure whether he agreed.

Sounds good. At least you’re going. I’m like going 5-6x a week and I don’t have a kid that I have to take care of, so it’s not as tricky for me. But you’re not doing splits or anything? What about the rest of gaf? Can’t be that we’re the only ones.

I’m more of a calisthenics guy though (not sure if I ever mentioned it) and I’m working on my Handstand and so on and I’m slowly progressing but it’s really a journey to nail it.

Yoshi

Sounds good. At least you’re going. I’m like going 5-6x a week and I don’t have a kid that I have to take care of, so it’s not as tricky for me.
5-6 times a week is a lot; even when I had a lot of time, I did not go that often.
But you’re not doing splits or anything?
No, I have one general plan I followmost of the time. Due to weight classes, I'm a bit limited anyway, so I mainly do strength training for upper body, cardio training for lower body.
I’m more of a calisthenics guy though (not sure if I ever mentioned it) and I’m working on my Handstand and so on and I’m slowly progressing but it’s really a journey to nail it.
I do like calisthenics (and, when I need to, I can handstand, but that and muscle ups are the most fancy stuff I can do), but I am mostly training with extra weights. I'm also only 65kg, so bodyweight often does not cut it.

Last edited:

Drake

plateaued pretty hard on the weight. Been 163 for a few weeks now. I'm pretty happy where I'm at, but if I lost 5 more pounds to get down to 158 I think I'd be content. That would be an even 60 pounds lost and I think losing that last 5 pounds would get rid of the last of the lower stomach fat. I have a pretty visible upper 4 pack now, but still have a bit a flab on my lower stomach. This is the best shape I've been in in over a decade.

Also, I busted out 12 pullups like it was nothing today. I was really happy with that considering 6 months ago I couldn't do a single one.

God Enel

5-6 times a week is a lot; even when I had a lot of time, I did not go that often.
No, I have one general plan I followmost of the time. Due to weight classes, I'm a bit limited anyway, so I mainly do strength training for upper body, cardio training for lower body.

It’s basically my daily routine. Going to work - gym - eat some shit - sleep. At least during weekdays. And yeah there’s no reason to split if you’re going 2-3x a week.

I do like calisthenics (and, when I need to, I can handstand, but that and muscle ups are the most fancy stuff I can do), but I am mostly training with extra weights. I'm also only 65kg, so bodyweight often does not cut it.

65? How tall are you? 65kg isnt really not that much for a guy? I’m at ~76kg (at 180cm) and was 79/80 before.

plateaued pretty hard on the weight. Been 163 for a few weeks now. I'm pretty happy where I'm at, but if I lost 5 more pounds to get down to 158 I think I'd be content. That would be an even 60 pounds lost and I think losing that last 5 pounds would get rid of the last of the lower stomach fat. I have a pretty visible upper 4 pack now, but still have a bit a flab on my lower stomach. This is the best shape I've been in in over a decade.

Also, I busted out 12 pullups like it was nothing today. I was really happy with that considering 6 months ago I couldn't do a single one.

Good job @60 pounds. 12 pull-ups are actually quite good number. Are you going from the dead hang?

Yoshi

True.

Can you recommend some good whey protein? (You’re from Germany/europe right?)
I'm from Germany, yes. I cannot recommend any supplements, because I never take any. I eat a lot of meat and a pot of quark every morning, but I do not like supplementation. A regular eating schedule and good choices of food are sufficient for hobbyists in my eyes.

Drake

65? How tall are you? 65kg isnt really not that much for a guy? I’m at ~76kg (at 180cm) and was 79/80 before.

Good job @60 pounds. 12 pull-ups are actually quite good number. Are you going from the dead hang?

Yeah, I try to keep perfect form in any exercise I do. It didn't used to be this way when I was younger, but as I got older I realized I was just cheating myself.

God Enel

Yeah, I try to keep perfect form in any exercise I do. It didn't used to be this way when I was younger, but as I got older I realized I was just cheating myself.

yeah same here. As a kid you only think about the numbers and are in a competition but as you get older you don't give a fuck about this shit anymore.

I'm from Germany, yes. I cannot recommend any supplements, because I never take any. I eat a lot of meat and a pot of quark every morning, but I do not like supplementation. A regular eating schedule and good choices of food are sufficient for hobbyists in my eyes.

True and I didnt buy any protein in quite a while but now that I'm back into exercising regularly I'm kinda thinking about it again and will most probably buy a pack.

CyberPanda

Banned
True.

Can you recommend some good whey protein? (You’re from Germany/europe right?)

https://www.consumerreports.org/dietary-supplements/heavy-metals-in-protein-supplements/

Hope this helps.

The five products that got the best overall scores were:

• Pure Protein Vanilla Cream 100% Whey
  • Performix Pro Whey Sabor Vanilla Protein with Amino Beads
  • BodyFortress Super Advanced Vanilla 100% Whey Protein
  • BioChem Vanilla 100% Whey Protein
  • Puori PW1 Vanilla Pure Whey Protein

Do You Need Protein Powder?

Given the number of protein powders and drinks on store shelves, you might think that Americans are woefully deficient in this nutrient. However, the vast majority of people get plenty of protein from the foods they eat, says Maxine Siegel, R.D., who heads CR’s food testing lab.
Protein products typically contain between 15 and 25 grams of protein per serving (although some do contain more).

By comparison, a 5-ounce container of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt has around 17 grams of protein, and 3.5 ounces of chicken breast has 31 grams. Protein needs range from 0.4 to 0.6 grams of protein per pound of weight a day (that would be 64 to 96 grams per day for a 160-pound person).
“That’s not a difficult amount to get in your diet, if you include natural sources of protein such as legumes, nuts, low-fat dairy, fish, and lean meats,” says Siegel. “You’ll benefit not just from the protein itself, but from all the other nutrients found in whole foods.”
So even though some protein supplements have lower contaminant levels than others, you probably don’t need to be taking them anyway, says Siegel.

Additionally, supplements in general are only loosely regulated. Though they fall under the purview of the Food and Drug Administration, the agency classifies them differently from drugs. The companies that make and sell them aren’t required to prove that they’re safe, that they work as advertised, or even that their packages contain what the labels say they do.
As always, consult your physician before taking protein—or any dietary supplement.

Last edited:

Drake

You know everyone talks about how barbell shoulder press is so great. I fucked up my right shoulder big time doing that exercise years back. It took over a year for it to heal properly and that injury basically affected every other lift. I'll never do that exercise again. I'll stick to dumbells.

Last edited:

Drake

Goal weight of 158 has been achieved (60 pounds down). Still a bit of stubborn lower belly fat, but I think that'll shrink down as I keep lifting, watching my diet and working on my abs.

On a side note I did HIIT cardio on the treadmill today as opposed to my normal 3 mile run. I basically just did a full on sprint for 2 minutes and then walked for 1 minute for 30 minutes straight. Holy fuck I thought I was gonna die. . It was awesome. It's definitely not something I could do more than twice a week though as it's absolutely draining.

God Enel

You lost a lot of weight.
Two or three days ago i achieved my press into handstand though i have to still work on it but yeah its possible.

Drake

I definitely need to add more calories back into my diet. Weighed myself the other day and I was 154.4. which is lower than I wanted to be although I will admit I still have some fat to lose, but I'm kinda entering the point where I don't want to be any lighter than this.

Chittagong

What 5 years as an entrepreneur does to ones body...

2014/2019

e1e77825-9e21-4730-915kih.jpeg

07d2a63e-c78c-48b4-aonj13.jpeg

Really have to get disciplined with getting that fat off. Currently lifting 4 days a week, one cardio day on top of it. So it’s all diet, alcohol and indulgence.

Drake

Really have to get disciplined with getting that fat off. Currently lifting 4 days a week, one cardio day on top of it. So it’s all diet, alcohol and indulgence.

it took me a LOOOONG time to learn this. Some people say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. it's more like Weight loss is 97% diet. Once I got my diet in order the pounds literally melted off.

For the longest time I tried to outrun a bad diet with no success and I was always frustrated because of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
it took me a LOOOONG time to learn this. Some people say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% activity. it's more like Weight loss is 97% diet. Once I got my diet in order the pounds literally melted off.

For the longest time I tried to outrun a bad diet with no success and I was always frustrated because of it.

Yep, it's hard to burn calories through exercise. Much easier to not eat them. Jogging three miles and burning 300-400 calories over 25-30 minutes is nothing when two beers later off sets it. That's always a struggle with working out as it tends to make people hungrier and thus they end up eating way more calories than they burned.

I'm going to have to be way more on point with my diet as I tore my biceps tendon doing preacher curls a couple weeks ago and have surgery on it in a couple weeks and won't be able to do anything intense for 2-3 months. Thankfully I mostly stay thin, but as I've gotten older and kept drinking too many craft beers it's started to catch up with my midsection and I could stand to lose 15 pounds or so as I'm at 170 and usually was around 155 until the past couple of years (a lean 165 years back when lifting more seriously).

So I plan on cutting out alcohol all together for a while (have to while on the pain meds/anti-inflammatory), cutting way back once I can drink again and being a lot cleaner on the diet. Once I get back to working out I'm going to focus more on cardio and doing lighter weights/more reps and more super sets. I just have to tiny a frame to be trying to lift heavy in my 40s, and mostly just want to lean up and keep strength up as I get older vs. trying to put on any significant amount of muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:

God Enel

I’m able to press into handstand. Fucking finally. It took me a year+ working on a handstand and then I watched a YouTube video with an explanation of the press handstand and I imitated it. (it wasn’t the first video I watched on that matter, but this one changed the game for me. He showed nothing special, but yeah it worked for me.). Once you get the hang it’s relatively easy.
It’s motivating as fuck to see such a huge leap all of a sudden 🤘🏼

The deciding factor is not the strength it’s more about being flexible enough and the compression in your stomach. And once you get this down - it’s like a breeze.

Next goal - either human flag or muscle up.

Duellist

First time posting in this thread. Been following it off and on for awhile. My story so far. 5ft 10, 40 years old and Sick of being fat. I weighed in at 235lbs. Went hardcore on eating right, weighing my food, using myfitness pal and ddp yoga. Went from 235 to 180 in like 5 months. Started strong lifts and continued losing till I was 163. Tried to bulk after that and gained to much back and lost interest. Went back to old habits and now 3 years later weigh 212. Been doing 40min of intervals on treadmill followed by 4 sets of air squats and limited push ups(see below)Also trying to cut out most of the bad foods. Main problem is that my right shoulder is fucked so that pretty much eliminates weights and most yoga as my range of motion is very limited. Currently waiting for doctors appointment to see if I need surgery or not.

I think where I went wrong with previous efforts is I went too hardcore and could not sustain what I was doing. Got burnt out and stopped. This time I'm not going to be so serious and indulge a bit more. Hopefully I will keep it off longer.

Drake

First time posting in this thread. Been following it off and on for awhile. My story so far. 5ft 10, 40 years old and Sick of being fat. I weighed in at 235lbs. Went hardcore on eating right, weighing my food, using myfitness pal and ddp yoga. Went from 235 to 180 in like 5 months. Started strong lifts and continued losing till I was 163. Tried to bulk after that and gained to much back and lost interest. Went back to old habits and now 3 years later weigh 212. Been doing 40min of intervals on treadmill followed by 4 sets of air squats and limited push ups(see below)Also trying to cut out most of the bad foods. Main problem is that my right shoulder is fucked so that pretty much eliminates weights and most yoga as my range of motion is very limited. Currently waiting for doctors appointment to see if I need surgery or not.

I think where I went wrong with previous efforts is I went too hardcore and could not sustain what I was doing. Got burnt out and stopped. This time I'm not going to be so serious and indulge a bit more. Hopefully I will keep it off longer.

Good for you man. Keep it up.

As I posted earlier in this thread I had a right shoulder injury as well. It took over a year for mine to heal properly. I just don't do certain exercises anymore that I know will affect it. Incline barbell bench press and barbell shoulder press have been permanently removed from my workout routine. I also don't lift nearly as heavy as I used to. I'm around your age as well (37). Leave the super heavy stuff to the younger guys. I'll do lighter weight for 10-12 reps.

Drake

So I've come to a disappointing conclusion. That lower belly fat that I thought was stubborn, is not fat, it's goddamn loose skin. There's not a lot of it and it's really only noticeable when I'm in the plank/push up/ missionary position. I'm hoping the amount I have is so small that maybe my body can adjust to it, if not I'll either have to live with it , or get surgery. But I won't consider that for at least a year.

I'm pissed because I was never that big in the 1st place. My biggest ever was 240 and I started really getting serious about everything at 218, yes that's big, but I didn't think that's loose skin big.

Duellist

So I've come to a disappointing conclusion. That lower belly fat that I thought was stubborn, is not fat, it's goddamn loose skin. There's not a lot of it and it's really only noticeable when I'm in the plank/push up/ missionary position. I'm hoping the amount I have is so small that maybe my body can adjust to it, if not I'll either have to live with it , or get surgery. But I won't consider that for at least a year.

I'm pissed because I was never that big in the 1st place. My biggest ever was 240 and I started really getting serious about everything at 218, yes that's big, but I didn't think that's loose skin big.
How tall are you? I was not much less than you and had a big belly and big love handles. I'm 5'10. When I Lost 50 lbs I still looked fat due to skin. Didnt have much but it was there. It wasn't till I started strong lifts and got down to 170ish that I looked slimish. I had to pretty much get down to 165 before all my waist fat was gone. Dont know if this helps at all but keep at it

Tesseract

Banned
what are you doing @cardio?

hour elliptical warm up, hour cycling, hour rowing, then i usually sprint run a mile (as much as i can) before collapsing on my bed

inject b12 into my thigh before i start, and drink a wallop of coffee

currently out of steroids tho, my supplier went under (no i am not taking steroids lol, ongoing joke) (or am i)

Last edited:

God Enel

Jesus dude. I can’t do cardio anymore for the hell of it. After 15 minutes of anything I get mentally exhausted. It’s not that the body is giving up it’s my fucking brain. I’d rather do hours of i don’t know what.

Kudos to you though. 👍🏼

Tesseract

Banned
Jesus dude. I can’t do cardio anymore for the hell of it. After 15 minutes of anything I get mentally exhausted. It’s not that the body is giving up it’s my fucking brain. I’d rather do hours of i don’t know what.

Kudos to you though. 👍🏼

you just get through it, pretend you are fighting demons that are here to kill your friends and family

play the hardest music you can find, watch some intense action movies, whatever gets you through it

i'll admit what i do is overkill and unhealthy (if done regularly)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I had the torn bicep tendon repair I mentioned above last Friday. It went great according to the surgeon. The aching was pretty bad the first couple of days, as expected with an incision, drilling a hole through a bone and trimming the tendon and pulling it through and anchoring it in place.

I only took the Percocet through Sunday morning. Aching has been minor enough since then to just deal with it with the prescription strength Aleve (naproxen) twice a day. That I’m supposed to take for a month to help with inflammation and preventing bones growing together or something. So no booze for a while, which is fine as I needed a break and to cut back some.

Have a follow up next Wednesday and hoping I get clearance and have the energy to hit the gym and do some leg, core and light cardio. I can’t jar it around too much and don’t want to get the brace too sweaty until I’m cleared to take it off long enough to hand wash the pads and air dry. Currently I can only take it off for showers (and have to be careful to not move or twist arm at elbow).

Here's a pick of this crazy brace (mirror pick, it's my left arm--thankfully as I'm a righty).

QC70jeb.jpg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I had my first post op follow up today. Healing is going well. No more sling and brace adjusted to allow a little movement which is nice as it was getting stiff locked at 90 degrees. I get to allow one notch more movement per week. I also have to take the brace off at least a day and work in some light rotation stretches (Palm up/down). Also cleared to get back to gym and do legs (machines, obviously not squats or deadlifts with only one arm), core and light cardio.

New X-ray was kind of trippy to see. It’s like finger sized hole drilled in top forearm bone and tendon put through it with a titanium button attached to the tendon on other side to anchor it. Bone will fill back in.

Recovery still a long process. Should be back to full extension and range of motion in 3 months. No lifting over a pound with that arm until that time. Then limited PT for three months and a gradual ramp up of exercise. Probably a year to be back to full strength and not having to worry about anything in terms of limits on lifting etc.

Starfield

Hallo,

I wanna get into fitness and sports after 24 years of doing nothing.

I'm not fat or anything like that. I just want to get more fit and healthy. I'm 1.74m and 65kg and I want to actually make my body look more fit and trained.

Also imo I got a big ass and I want to change that. What is the best way to achieve my goals?

Recently I started running alot but mostly wt dawn or night cuz it's too hot right now.
I'm cycling occasionally and I love going swimming.

What should I look out for at my food?
I try to reduce any sort of sugar to zero in my drinks. Only sparkling water if possible with some coffee here and there.

I'm eating alot of crap sadly but I'm reducing that too and usually around summer I mainly eat cold dishes like two slices of bread with butter and some salami and cheese on it plus tomatoes and abit more cheese as a side dish.

Tesseract

Banned
about to row, injected b12 and drank two cups of coffee

running an iv right now, getting that pump

*edit*

it increases your metabolism, maximum shred

Last edited:

God Enel

ate some pills with lots of coffee, gonna run until my heart stops

I’m always curious what you’re putting into yourself. And I love fanatics like you are. May I ask how old you are and why you’re doing it? What’s your goal/motivation?

I wasn’t this week in the gym because I have shit to do but on Friday I’m back again. Last time I was, was on Sunday. Already missing it so much.

Tesseract

Banned
I’m always curious what you’re putting into yourself. And I love fanatics like you are. May I ask how old you are and why you’re doing it? What’s your goal/motivation?

I wasn’t this week in the gym because I have shit to do but on Friday I’m back again. Last time I was, was on Sunday. Already missing it so much.

various nootropics, vitamins, creatine, other stuff

i'm 33yo, i wanna be shredded out of my mind like wolverine ~ i do so to stave the pains from various injuries i've accumulated over the years

$lifegoals

tumblr_mk1oja0qWZ1qbwrnuo1_250.gif

Last edited:

God Enel

How far away are you from achieving your ‘dream’-body?

And why are you using so much “stuff”? Is it the only way to get a body like his?

And what’s next?

Tesseract

Banned
How far away are you from achieving your ‘dream’-body?

And why are you using so much “stuff”? Is it the only way to get a body like his?

And what’s next?

i'm in pretty great shape right now tbh, only thing keeping me from the dream is dead lifting, which i'll be getting back into soon after 8 brutal years of injury recovery

as for stuff, i joke here often about steroids but it's mostly a bunch of supplements from onnit.com

what's next is staying shredded until i'm 90yo, and then death

i'm big into body enhancement, no matter the stakes, as you only get one life and you might as well live it up for as long as possible

Last edited:

God Enel

I think you're inspiring. Can't wait to hit the gym again on friday. Can't wait to start moving again. I'm not much into weights unlike you are. More of a yoga/calisthenics dude. But I love your hustle. The hardest thing for me to do is to be consistent with my eating habits.

Top Bottom