• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

for the most part console libraries are just PC libraries now.

consoles back in the day were just machines for games, the vast majority of their games were usually just available on that specific console. but obviously it changed very slowly. every generation thus far has had more of its games be on PC. and we reached a point this gen where most likely 98-99% of games are on PC. last gen I'd estimate that at 60-75%. so this is the biggest jump of all time from games being available on PC and dedicated gaming machines.

this isn't about exclusivity or not this goes for every console. the vast majority of games are on pc and every other platform. an exclusive releasing now is a few times per year event and you didn't buy a machine because you could only get those games on it

while sure I'd say you will get a 2-4 exclusives on the switch or ps4 a year. is that really much?. I think thats pretty bad for a machine to justify itself being bought by non-parents. I get that consoles are just easy for parents to buy for their kids they are pretty convenient. but you aren't in a situation where if you wanted to play many of the good games you have to buy a playstation 2. even last gen with ps3 and 360 had enough exclusives to justify themselves to be bought by even people that have gaming PCs

Do they anymore? I say no. I very much don't think so. the job of the dedicated machine is being done by a more versatile machine thats more readily available. mobile isn't the console danger. PC is. and its already met the needs it has to make to negate consoles existence. obviously tho consoles are just easy for parents to buy for their kids and thats why they exist at this point. the best selling ps4 exclusive is at less than 20% attach rate. so we can say thats its not a big factor at all.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm a PC gamer but not everyone wants a PC, can afford a PC, or would even know how to game on a PC. Seriously a very large percentage of console owners are casuals, can you imagine casuals who have only ever gamed on consoles, try to game on PC?.
There will always be console only gamers, always be PC only gamers, and always be console and PC gamers.

I'm a PC gamer but not everyone wants a PC, can afford a PC, or would even know how to game on a PC. Seriously a very large percentage of console owners are casuals, can you imagine casuals who have only ever gamed on consoles, try to game on PC?.
There will always be console only gamers, always be PC only gamers, and always be console and PC gamers.
ok. same point being made

casuals. I made the same point too my friend.

sn0man

It's honestly the reason MS have embraced porting to windows. I would imagine Windows vs Mac and Linux is worlds more lopsided than PS4 vs xbox and nintendo. MS retreated to their castle on PC, and honestly it was a smart move.

Nintendo and Sony are operating on ever more thin ice with Epic, Google, and Apple trying to work their way into the market in new ways.

Last edited:
It's honestly the reason MS have embraced porting to windows. I would imagine Windows vs Mac and Linux is worlds more lopsided than PS4 vs xbox and nintendo. MS retreated to their castle on PC, and honestly it was a smart move.

Nintendo and Sony are operating on ever more thin ice with Epic, Google, and Apple trying to work their way into the market in new ways.

i think nintendo is fine even if they go pc their games will just stand out. mario especially. and pokemon. infact nintendo will make more money .their games will sell 30-40 million if they go on pc and phones etc. not all obviously but mainline pokemon and mario games

if we reach a point where consoles sell a lot less Sony will be the most struggling one. and they would have nobody to blame but themselves. from not nutruting their IPs into worldwide success. only god of war really. and uncharted but. uncharted isn't as recognizeable even. and the fact that they have PS NOW. which will encourage you not to buy a system anyway. and the fact that already 5 of their exclusives are on Epic games store within 1 month.

a very significant chunk of sony money comes from playstation. the fact that they decided its ok to stay small and not expand studios or make more devices (handheld for example) is a bad decision is gonna hurt them in long run.

the market will segment even more with google, apple joining in.

Last edited:

-MD-

Consoles have been that for awhile.

$400 entry to play 10 exclusive games over a 5-7 year period with shit performance.

Consoles have been that for awhile.

$400 entry to play 10 exclusive games over a 5-7 year period with shit performance.

you nailed it on its head my friend. you fucking did. tldr to my post. I've been a console gamer my entire life. but again always played on pc as well. never owned an expensive rig had not much problems anyway at least in the past.

i can't justify that anymore. instead of spending 500-600 on acheap pc. spend 300-400 more. that you woulda spent on consol. and buy a mid tier gaming pc. even entry level

there. now you have access to over 100k games.

Last edited:

Zambatoh

I really wish that were true. If every game on console also existed on PC, then I wouldn't have to buy a console anymore.
I only do so begrudgingly for those rare few exclusives I still give a damn about. Like Yakuza.

Last edited:

Doom85

Well, as someone who doesn't give that much of a shit about having the absolute best performance and graphics, and gives more of a shit about Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Bloodborne, God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Spider-man, Persona, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet and Clank, etc., well I just don't give a shit about PC gaming basically. Especially since when I hear about games suffering from bugs, issues, etc. it's almost always the PC version I'm hearing about especially from certain Japanese developers and Ubisoft.

Also, oh no, Playstation lost exclusivity to David Cage games, what will I do? Pour some wine and give a toast to those poor souls who never owned a Playstation and are about to experience the man's awful sense of storytelling?

kevin_trinh

Well, console will still selling well coz exclusive. Yep the attached rate is low, but some people just buy the console for their franchise they want, and after playing that game they could buy any non-exclusive game for their console aswell. That the most value point of exclusive, to make people atrract to the console, then they may buy something more.

Let alone the simple turn on and play. Even with Steam, PC take more time for the game to be playable. Some people just got some random bug, some does not know if the game have kb&m support, some need to update their graphic card driver, the list go on.....

Last edited:

Fbh

Yes.
Now that most big japanese devs have either embraced PC or are starting to do so and we get stuff like Yakuza, Dragon Quest and Nier on PC, the main appeal of consoles is 1-2 cool exclusive games a year.

Can't complain too much though. Have spent most of the gen with a Ps4 as my main system and I've enjoyed it. Performance of third party stuff this gen seems good enough for $400 and some of my favourite games these past few years, including my current game of the gen (Bloodborne), have been exclusive.

-MD-

Well, as someone who doesn't give that much of a shit about having the absolute best performance and graphics, and gives more of a shit about Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Bloodborne, God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Spider-man, Persona, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet and Clank, etc., well I just don't give a shit about PC gaming basically. Especially since when I hear about games suffering from bugs, issues, etc. it's almost always the PC version I'm hearing about especially from certain Japanese developers and Ubisoft.

Also, oh no, Playstation lost exclusivity to David Cage games, what will I do? Pour some wine and give a toast to those poor souls who never owned a Playstation and are about to experience the man's awful sense of storytelling?

I was like this too, in my early teen years.

There are still games that sell in the tens of millions on console. The line can't be that thin.

PC and console are just products that serve different markets.

thats not the point of my argument tho. i did say that Console serves the parents that want convenient cheap machine for their kids to play on

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
thats not the point of my argument tho. i did say that Console serves the parents that want convenient cheap machine for their kids to play on
You're asking if consoles justify themselves because of their exclusives.

So I'm pointing out there are still games that sell in the tens of millions on console.

So clearly, the line between consoles and PC isn't that thin. The console platform offers something that PC doesn't, otherwise people wouldn't buy it.

Look, people have been crowing about the versatility of PC since the start.

So when you say stuff like "a more versatile machine thats more readily available" I can't help but laugh:

c47c3ebf095f10ade5485a1dbe8ff892.jpg

AmigaVideotape.jpg

You're asking if consoles justify themselves because of their exclusives.

So I'm pointing out there are still games that sell in the tens of millions on console.

So clearly, the line between consoles and PC isn't that thin. The console platform offers something that PC doesn't, otherwise people wouldn't buy it.

Look, people have been crowing about the versatility of PC since the start.

So when you say stuff like "a more versatile machine thats more readily available" I can't help but laugh:

c47c3ebf095f10ade5485a1dbe8ff892.jpg

AmigaVideotape.jpg

when it comes to games. its VERY fucking thin. factually. its not an argument

overlordror

Neo Member
At least Nintendo has the benefit of being portable compared to traditional consoles. I also find it to be the best place to play indie games these days, given that Steam is overloaded with crap. Have you tried to browse the New Games list lately? I used to be able to sort through it to find interesting indies I'd want to try, but now the best place to do that is anywhere but Steam. Funny how that goes. Back in 2009 or so, indie devs were begging Steam to have a more open platform.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
when it comes to games. its VERY fucking thin. factually. its not an argument
If it wasn't an argument, why'd you start a thread about it? I disagree. Consoles and PC serve different markets. Consoles (obviously) have enough titles to warrant the loyalty of millions of customers.

Any other conclusion is based on fantasy.

Kagey K

Banned
I was like this too, in my early teen years.
I was the exact opposite, I was playing PC mostly in the mid to late 90s because they were doing things consoles couldn’t do. Hexen/Heretic/Desent/Duke Nukem. I started coming back to consoles in the PSX days but the Dreamcast/Xbox cemented me as a console player and now I don’t don’t give a shit about PC in any fathomable way.

That’s my work machine, not my fun machine.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

Maybe, but outside the Switch, I dont have a use for consoles with everything my PC provides. Its way too far of a step down in too many areas. Obviously enough people are happy enough with a console, and thus there is a market for them.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Or the other way around.
A lot of games that would be PC only are now available for consoles as developers that once was PC only now release on Console.
The same for PC.
PC now receive a lot more console ports then ever but there is still a few that remain console titles, especially Japanese games.
Which leaves console First Party titles.
But I say there's still a long way to go with PC.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
There are still a lot of Playstation and Nintendo exclusives

CJY

Banned
i think nintendo is fine even if they go pc their games will just stand out. mario especially. and pokemon. infact nintendo will make more money .their games will sell 30-40 million if they go on pc and phones etc. not all obviously but mainline pokemon and mario games

if we reach a point where consoles sell a lot less Sony will be the most struggling one. and they would have nobody to blame but themselves. from not nurturing their IPs into worldwide success. only god of war really. and uncharted but. uncharted isn't as recognizeable even. and the fact that they have PS NOW. which will encourage you not to buy a system anyway. and the fact that already 5 of their exclusives are on Epic games store within 1 month.

a very significant chunk of sony money comes from playstation. the fact that they decided its ok to stay small and not expand studios or make more devices (handheld for example) is a bad decision is gonna hurt them in long run.

the market will segment even more with google, apple joining in.
I kinda get where you're coming from and what you're trying to say but some of your points are kinda contradictory. By having PlayStation now, they are clearly hedging their bets against every eventuality. PlayStation is a hugely important business to Sony and they probably aren't going anywhere. They will adjust their model when there is a necessity to do so. You may consider it too late by that point, but what do you really excited them to do other than come out with another handheld? Even Nintendo realise the writing is on the wall for dedicated handhelds, so why do you think it would significantly improve Sony's chance of survival to develop another one?

Your post just sounds like unjustified Sony-hate really. Sony did extremely well this generation. Nurturing their game studios to make a number of them the best in the industry, moving to a whole new console architecture, one that will serve them well for another generation or two, investing in Vue and Now to bolster their streaming services, and their continued investment into VR, which is likely to prove fruitful in the long term.

I'm sure there are many things could have done even better, but making a new handheld isn't it. And coming from where they were last Gen, they are sitting pretty. Competition is a good thing, I just Sony has what it takes to compete in the future. You talk about IP when competing with apple and Google, well, what IP do they have?

Last edited:
I kinda get where you're coming from and what you're trying to say but style of your points are kinda contradictory. By having PlayStation now, they are clearly being their bets against every eventuality. PlayStation is a hugely important business to Sony and they probably aren't going anywhere. They will adjust their model when there is a necessity to do so. You may consider it too late by that point, but what do you really excited them to do other than come out with another handheld? Even Nintendo realise the writing is on the wall for dedicated handhelds, so why do you think it would significantly improve Sony's chance of survival to develop another one?

Your post just sounds like unjustified Sony-hate really. Sony did extremely well this generation. Nurturing their game studios to make a number of them the best in the industry, moving to a whole new console architecture, one that will serve them well for another generation or two, investing in Vue and Now to bolster their streaming services, and their continued investment into VR, which is likely to prove fruitful in the long term.

I'm sure there are many things could have done even better, but making a new handheld isn't it. And coming from where they were last Gen, they are sitting pretty. Competition is a good thing, I just Sony has what it takes to compete in the future. You talk about IP when competing with apple and Google, well, what IP do they have?

its a contradictory point but they will be just an another player. they wont match tech companies at game streaming. they have no infrastructure to do so

I was the exact opposite, I was playing PC mostly in the mid to late 90s because they were doing things consoles couldn’t do. Hexen/Heretic/Desent/Duke Nukem. I started coming back to consoles in the PSX days but the Dreamcast/Xbox cemented me as a console player and now I don’t don’t give a shit about PC in any fathomable way.

That’s my work machine, not my fun machine.
This is me except a PC isn't my anything, I despise the divice and will never own one again.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
what do you define as "a lot"? is 3-4 games a year a lot to you?

playstation had god of war and spiderman in 2018 and astrobot.

Going off just Switch and PS4, Switch has DKTF, BotW, Smash 5, MK 8, NSMBU, SMO, and the LA remake and Animal Crossing coming soon which to my knowledge aren’t available on PC. PS4 has Uncharted, Bloodborne, and the exclusives you mentioned.

=
Going off just Switch and PS4, Switch has DKTF, BotW, Smash 5, MK 8, NSMBU, SMO, and the LA remake and Animal Crossing coming soon which to my knowledge aren’t available on PC. PS4 has Uncharted, Bloodborne, and the exclusives you mentioned.

dont include ports please. your mentioning games over the SPAN of 2 years that are a bunch of remakes

you aren't disproving my point. I literally mentioned the exclusives over the span of 1 year.

PC has way more exclusives than any platform. sure. maybe not massive budget. but anyone will find the games they want on it

console companies have no power on the educated consumer anymore. because there isnt enough reason to buy a console

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
=

dont include ports please. your mentioning games over the SPAN of 2 years that are a bunch of remakes

you aren't disproving my point. I literally mentioned the exclusives over the span of 1 year.

PC has way more exclusives than any platform. sure. maybe not massive budget. but anyone will find the games they want on it

console companies have no power on the educated consumer anymore. because there isnt enough reason to buy a console

"please buy your retarded kids this fortnite/apex box and let him spend money on mtx and ps+. its only 200 bucks"

They are ports, but they’re still games you can’t play on the PC. I also don’t get why it has to be per year, the point is that over the years a lot of exclusives add up which make it worthwhile to get a console which has all of them.

Kagey K

Banned
Aren’t most of those games better on Dolphin?

As in fully playable on PC?

Last edited:

odhiex

Well yes.

If you want true exclusives, you kinda have to develop it in-house. What incentives that make 3rd party devs/pubs limit their target audiences? even the timed-exclusives are relatively shorter nowadays.

The above, of course, is just a simple rhetoric question. There are reasons why we have seen more of the same games been selling across multiple platforms or store outlets, mostly because of money.

Kagey K

Banned
Well yes.

If you want true exclusives, you kinda have to develop it in-house. What incentives that make 3rd party devs/pubs limit their target audiences? even the timed-exclusives are relatively shorter nowadays.

The above, of course, is just a simple rhetoric question. There are reasons why we have seen more of the same games been selling across multiple platforms or store outlets, mostly because of money.

This is something Sony is going to have to think about next gen. All those 3rd party default exclusives are going to be on multiple machines come next gen I think.

They will no longer be the default for pure Japanese gaming support.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
its a contradictory point but they will be just an another player. they wont match tech companies at game streaming. they have no infrastructure to do so
Infrastructure is and largely will be a non factor. It is massively, massively overblown because servers and the delivery of the data is commoditized. The infrastructure is there to be shared. Big tech companies don't build their server farms so they can keep it all for themselves. There are a huge number of suppliers and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony could use Google servers to delivery PlayStation Now, or MS Azure for that matter, or AWS.

To take another example, of Sony themselves and their camera sensors division, the sell their sensors to nearly every manufacturer of smartphones out there and are the dominant player in that role, but their own smartphone division sucks, and could be considered a massive flop.

Content and branding will always be more important in the game streaming business than the infrastructure because no server company owns also the delivery channels, namely, the copper pipes and fibre cables going into people's homes. These are subject to different factors and with net neutrality going out the window, the backend infrastructure plays an even more minor role.

Another fact is, with Sony owning many patents pertaining to game streaming, through their purchases of onlive and gaikai, it wouldn't surprise me if Google and/or ms would have to pay Sony in some form and licence some tech. I may be wrong here, because I haven't looked into it fully, but my point stands that Sony are not lacking in any major department when it comes to streaming. They are extremely well positioned, and it is silly to discount Or discredit them. I mean, they are the only ones currently with a streaming service on the market, and it's making money and gaining subscribers today.

And it's not like Google don't have their share of high-profile failures, Google+, pixel Slate, Google wave, just to name a few.

Streaming may be the future, but my point here is that if that eventuality does come to pass, Sony will be playing that game, I can assure you, and they will still be big, perhaps the biggest.

Top Bottom