• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ford confirms all-electric F-Series pickup truck coming

Speed / Price / Range
Pick any two when dealing with modern electric vehicles. If we ever figure out a way to mass produce graphine for capacitive batteries, or some other power storage breakthrough then EVs will become ubiquitous. Until then plug in series hybrids will likely be the best option for regular people.

quickwhips

Well shit...wonder how the American hillbillies will react to this.
Kinda nice generalizing based on silly articles on the internet. I would love a big electric truck to haul car to the track. But it needs to get 300 miles and be able to haul shit.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Kinda nice generalizing based on silly articles on the internet. I would love a big electric truck to haul car to the track. But it needs to get 300 miles and be able to haul shit.

Hauling isn't the problem -- many EVs have massive amounts of instant torque! The big issue is range, but the higher-spec Rivian truck is supposed to manage 400 miles. If Ford comes anywhere close to that it might have a hit on its hands.

Car aficionados like the purist experience. I imagine truck people would be the same way "Gotta get my HEMI V8 ROARRRIN"

True, can the pussy electric engine pull off this maneuver?

giphy.gif

G-Bus

Please don't make this thing look rediculous. Make it look like any other model F series and it just happens to be electric. The amount of power electric motors can put out will be an easy selling point.

This I my biggest issue with electric vehicles outside of the Model S and to a lesser extent the model 3. Electric vehicles look stupid. They stand out in an ugly way.

Edit - I'll also be surprised if Ford beats Tesla to market with a truck.

Last edited:

RobbieD25

Neo Member
Please don't make this thing look rediculous. Make it look like any other model F series and it just happens to be electric. The amount of power electric motors can put out will be an easy selling point.

This I my biggest issue with electric vehicles outside of the Model S and to a lesser extent the model 3. Electric vehicles look stupid. They stand out in an ugly way.

Edit - I'll also be surprised if Ford beats Tesla to market with a truck.
No surprise here that Ford will enter the electric world with their trucks. It is inevitable since the world is urging for more less to zero emission vehicles. It just that the culture will take long to adapt. I was helping my uncle installing the new brake kit and fuel wheels on his Ram when I mentioned about Ford releasing an electric truck. He's entirely not interested for being a huge diesel fun and hate fancy tech. Can't argue enough growing on diesel world.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No surprise here that Ford will enter the electric world with their trucks. It is inevitable since the world is urging for more less to zero emission vehicles. It just that the culture will take long to adapt. I was helping my uncle installing the new brake kit and fuel wheels on his Ram when I mentioned about Ford releasing an electric truck. He's entirely not interested for being a huge diesel fun and hate fancy tech. Can't argue enough growing on diesel world.

When people realize how much money in gas they are saving, they'll convert.

keraj37

You all know that electric cars would be standard in begining of 20th century, if not Standard Oil interference?

PSYGN

Hillbillies can't afford that shit. These things are built for soccer moms and gym rats

Plenty of "hillbillies" that work in the lucrative oil industry own jacked trucks that their paycheck goes into. I don't think they'll spend it on EV trucks, because in a roundabout way it devalues their work and it's not loud and "manly" enough.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I have no problem with this. You can get batteries for your truck installed (at a crazy price) it’s 2019 I thought we’d be all electric by now relentlessly storing energy from the sun and shooting energy absorbers into other galaxies.

Winter John

Plenty of "hillbillies" that work in the lucrative oil industry own jacked trucks that their paycheck goes into. I don't think they'll spend it on EV trucks, because in a roundabout way it devalues their work and it's not loud and "manly" enough.

I've seen them driving some stupid looking shit. Passed one a few weeks back that was driving what looked like a mobile gay bar. I guess it was an improvement on them ones that got the screaming eagle with the flag colors plastered all over them.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Except we are 100 years away from all cars being electric. So no need to worry about that now.

Definitely not 100 years. We are at a tipping point and as it's pretty clear now BEV's(Battery Electric Vehicles) have won out over other types of technologies like FCV's (Fuel Cell Vehicles) and there is going to be a lot of investment by car companies being poured into BEV's over the next few years.

Tesla recently released a $35K Model 3 (220mi range)
Hyundai recently released the Kona Electric suv with (258mi range) for $36K and Kia is coming out with something similar called the Niro

The charging speeds are increasing(Teslas new supercharger can recoup 75 miles in about 5 mintues)

Personally I think there will be rapid adoption in the next 5-10 years and by 20 years most cars will be electric.

Kenpachii

Definitely not 100 years. We are at a tipping point and as it's pretty clear now BEV's(Battery Electric Vehicles) have won out over other types of technologies like FCV's (Fuel Cell Vehicles) and there is going to be a lot of investment by car companies being poured into BEV's over the next few years.

Hyundai recently released the Kona Electric suv with (258mi range) for $36K and Kia is coming out with something similar called the Niro

The charging speeds are increasing(Teslas new supercharger can recoup 75 miles in about 5 mintues)

Personally I think there will be rapid adoption in the next 5-10 years and by 20 years most cars will be electric.

There will only be a rapid adoption if gas is going to be more expensive, they will last longer for cheaper and have lesser maintenance.

Then also they will have to tax gas with it, something they try to do in west europe right now ( didn't went well )

And keep electric prices low which are moving up drastically and even more so when people plug there cars in massively as those things burn energy.

With people switching to electric more and more they will also introduce gas tax even straight into your electric bill which makes everything that consumes electricity now a whole lot more expensive and unattractive as most of the gas price is honestly tax and they won't cut away from that even remotely.

Then having to deal with battery's, wait times and limited range which is more trouble some.

Then producing battery's is absolutely toxic as hell which isn't helping the enviroment even remotely and having to open more power plants will not help them much at the end but just move the issue elsewhere.

We have a long long way to go before electric will ever be seen as standard and that's IF nothing else pops up that will replace electric like hydrogen which is moving rapidly forwards as well.

Electric move forwards makes sense now with the current markets and tech. However this could change in a decade from now drastically.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
There will only be a rapid adoption if gas is going to be more expensive, they will last longer for cheaper and have lesser maintenance.

Then also they will have to tax gas with it, something they try to do in west europe right now ( didn't went well )

And keep electric prices low which are moving up drastically.

With people switching to electric more and more they will also introduce gas tax even straight into your electric bill which makes everything that consumes electricity now a whole lot more expensive.

Then having to deal with battery's, wait times and limited range which is more trouble some.

Then producing battery's is absolutely toxic as hell which isn't helping the enviroment even remotely and having to open more power plants will not help them much at the end but just move the issue elsewhere.

We have a long long way to go before electric will ever be seen as standard and that's IF nothing else pops up that will replace electric like hydrogen.

Because electric move forwards makes sense now with the current markets. When people mass adopt them that's going to change drastically.

All these are talking points are from someone who hasn't been following the space closely enough...

Electric vehicles require less maintenance than ICE(internal combustion engine) vehicles. The cost of batteries decreasing by about 13% each year, the range is increasing and the charge times are decreasing.

Hydrogen has already lost for all intents and purposes. There is no widespread existing infrastructure to get hydrogen fuel, it is dangerous to store and less efficient than straight battery vehicles. Hydrogen only exists because the Japanese companies have sunken so much money on it they want to keep it alive.

I use to think like you but it's clear now that electric vehicles have won out and will be the new standard. I expect rapid adoption in the next 5-10 years.

mckmas8808

The technology 20 years from now may support that many electric cars, but you aren't taking into context the public's want (aka demand) for all electric cars. You are kidding yourself if you think everyone will have an electric car 20 years from now.

Some people keep the same car for 10-12 years. And what about everyone living in apartment complexes and Condos? How will they charge their cars at night?

llien

True, can the pussy electric engine pull off this maneuver?

giphy.gif

That's actually easier to do with electric engine, I think.
Take the following into account, Tesla S can go 1-100km/h iunder 3 seconds, beats 520HP Porsche 911.

Last edited:

llien

The technology 20 years from now may support that many electric cars, but you aren't taking into context the public's want (aka demand) for all electric cars. You are kidding yourself if you think everyone will have an electric car 20 years from now.
That's where government hits.

In EU (probably other places too), there is a target CO2 per manufacturer's fleet car.
The limit is tightened every year and there are heavy fines for breaching it.
From 2020 onwards it would be next to impossible for the car manufacturers to sell non-compact cars without EVs being a sizable part of the fleet. (EV counts as 2 vehicles for CO2 fleet calculation purposes)

Some people keep the same car for 10-12 years. And what about everyone living in apartment complexes and Condos? How will they charge their cars at night?

yeah i gotta agree with mcgrandma over here. its going to be real slow the gradual like change to electric. this shit isnt happening overnight. i mean its a change that has to happen most people cant afford that shit right now

Last edited:
This only matters when an F-450 is all electric. That way when a fat woman drives it, I can put a WIDE LOAD bumper sticker on it.

mckmas8808

yeah i gotta agree with mcgrandma over here. its going to be real slow the gradual like change to electric. this shit isnt happening overnight. i mean its a change that has to happen most people cant afford that shit right now

And to add to this.....some people will be anti-electric cars just on principle alone. The "don't tell me what I can drive" crowd will be very vocal too. Funny enough the "Demolition Man" movie did a great job depicting this resistance. And that movie came out like 25 years ago.

Dontero

Banned
Can't wait for first reviews saying it is nowhere near what people expected.
As far as i know Ford doesn't own any production chain with batteries which is the most important part of EV.

For comparison Tesla Gigafactory makes more KG of lit-ion batteries than REST OF THE WORLD COMBINED which is how they drive price down like mad and they are not finished with driving that cost down.

So unless they will come up with secret battery factory or completely new tech those pickups will be very expensive.

I actually love the idea of an electric truck. Electric motors are great. Bring on the torque. But I don't think elecric is the future. I also don't see myself, or many others, dealing with the wait times at a charging station. Unless the times are seriously being driven down?

The electric trucks interest me because of the torque power. I've watched some vids on that 4 battery engine truck , the Rivian. The batteries add a lot of weight, but the power is silly.

I am rather curious if someone tries to re-open the small truck market that has vanished. The case against that, for electric trucks, is that part of the small truck market was making them easy to fix. Self-maintenance isn't a thing with electric vehicles.

Top Bottom