• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

So do you guys think those 1 million who bought FM4 are playing a sim?

Can't forget the first time when my friend (which only played FM as a "sim") tried GT for the first time. Going straight in every corner, because he was not acostumed to use the brakes correctly or locking the tires. Using the others cars to make corners. "wtf, i'm losing speed when crashing my car! how ackward is that?"

Another fine post in the history of this thread.

So do you guys think those 10 million who bought GT5 are playing a sim?

Can't forget the first time when my friend (which only played GT as a "sim") tried Forza for the first time. Going straight in every corner, because he was not acostumed to use the brakes correctly or locking the tires. Using the others cars to make corners. "wtf, i'm losing speed when crashing my car! how ackward is that?"

You mean someone who obviously never played GT with all aids off? And you put him Forza with all aids off? Who cares?

I remember the first time I played Forza 4 with all aids off and had no problems holding a p4 while flooring it.

tranciful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe_dfQFrJy8

insidesimracing gave GT5 the edge on physics

Q8PxV8Z.jpg

GT5:
Physics
Graphics
Tracks
Force Feedback
AI

Forza 4:
Sound
Cars
Fun Factor
Multiplayer
Damage

Wonder if multiplayer would still go to Forza if they reviewed them today. Isn't GT5 more populated today?

Ty4on

Dan on FM3:

LMAO.

Lol.

And all the new physics in FM3 when I remember one guy who was responsible for physics spilled the beans in an interview and said "Forza 2 simulated tire deformation, but it wasn't modeled". I love Forza, but I hate how their marketing would constantly lie and bend the truth. The launch trailer for FM3 had a functioning HP meter in the Veyron which FM3 never had.

Gestault

I'm kinda floored this guy is still quoting stuff from GT5 launch reviews. He must have a lot going on for him.

Ad hominem
"An ad hominem argument is any that attempts to counter another’s claims or conclusions by attacking the person, rather than addressing the argument itself."

So do you guys think those 10 million who bought GT5 are playing a sim?

Can't forget the first time when my friend (which only played GT as a "sim") tried Forza for the first time. Going straight in every corner, because he was not acostumed to use the brakes correctly or locking the tires. Using the others cars to make corners. "wtf, i'm losing speed when crashing my car! how ackward is that?"

So do you guys think those 1 million who bought FM4 are playing a sim?

Can't forget the first time when my friend (which only played FM as a "sim") tried GT for the first time. Going straight in every corner, because he was not acostumed to use the brakes correctly or locking the tires. Using the others cars to make corners. "wtf, i'm losing speed when crashing my car! how ackward is that?"

Fucking perfect, lol.

Artorias

Banned
Ad hominem
"An ad hominem argument is any that attempts to counter another’s claims or conclusions by attacking the person, rather than addressing the argument itself."

If you know what it means, why did you look up the definition?

Anyway, you must not be reading this thread if you think what I said was out of line.

You mean someone who obviously never played GT with all aids off? And you put him Forza with all aids off? Who cares?

I remember the first time I played Forza 4 with all aids off and had no problems holding a p4 while flooring it.

My first race in Forza 4 was with a stock Honda Civic and I spent the whole race drifting around corners, straight Burnout style.

It was fun guys, lets recap the consensus.

GT has better:

Driving
online meetups (like neogaf racing weekends)
GRAPHICS
Longevity
Course creation
Online userbase (actually active)
Fanboys
and continuous updates

Forza has better

Sound
Car roster
customization
UI

K bish close er down

I'll just leave this here as a bonus.
iM69dwXsdqTHE.jpg

Mascot

OK, time for some honesty.

Who owns both GT5 and FM4, and if you HAD to pick just one of them, which would it be?

For the record: I own both, I play both, but if I had to choose just one I know I'd get more overall enjoyment, for longer, out of FM4.

Fezan

Who owns both GT5 and FM4, and if you HAD to pick just one of them, which would it be?

For the record: I own both, I play both, but if I had to choose just one I know I'd get more overall enjoyment, for longer, out of FM4.

dont own a wheel and dont like racing sims much but own both of them and my vote will be for forza 4. its just easier gamer to handle with simple menu and assists

Artorias

Banned

To absolutely no ones surprise.

Putty

GT5

Played FM3 and 4.

GT5 by a country mile.

Ty4on

GT PSP

I own neither :'(

Own both. Play both. Like both.

Prefer Forza 4 overall, not sure why but it feels more complete as an experience.

Gestault

I own both, play both, enjoy both. In terms of everything, and a big part of that focus is the community tools, auction house and livery editor, so Forza 4 would be my choice.

Thankfully, that it not a choice I have to make.

Also, for the record, I must be the one person who owns and plays GT PSP, in spite of its faults.

Also, for the record, I must be the one person who owns and plays GT PSP, in spite of its faults.

I am sure more people play or have played GT PSP than F4.

Come on, its silly watching you try to act unbiased. It's clear as day to anyone reading.

He may be biased but at least he can appreciate why people prefer GT. I don't think there is anyone in this thread who does not favour one but there are very few in this thread that are totally dismissive of competition. I can only think of one.

nib95

Banned
Prefer GT5 overall, by a good margin. Though I do find Froza's UI, sound effects, and general social and menu accessibility better over GT's. GT5 however just has better physics, driving/racing, graphics, tracks and content imo. More variety in modes and vehicle types too.

Do not own Forza 4 but spent 2 months with the game, loved it but not enough to kick out GT5 from the top of my hearts podium. There is somthing about GT5 that draws me to it, it is sort of the same argument Porsche owners make when they are confronted by GTR fans. The GTR is fast, new, packed with tech and its cool (i love the GTR btw), but there is something about that old guy on the block that still draws more people to buy porches. Also GT5 is the only sim racer that (30-40% of the time) i can go into a random room and have an amazing race, something that never happened in the short time i spent with FM4.

velociraptor

I've played both, if that counts.

I'm basically a GT fanboy.

Physics, FM4 > GT5. Overall, GT5 has a very good driving feel. FM4 also feels good. However, Forza has a superior tyre model and suspension model. Furthermore, GT5 feels like the real understeer simulator compared to Forza.

Graphically, GT5 > FM4.

Sounds, hit and miss on both games. Some cars sound pretty good on GT5. A lot sound crap. Forza overexaggerates, but generally is more sound than GT5. I also hate the annoying squeeling effects in both games. Still, due to consistency, FM4 > GT5.

Menus, FM4 > GT5. Fuck this convuluted bullshit design, PD! FM4's menus are simple, clean and elegent.

Menu music, FM4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GT5. Jazz sucks.

Customisation, FM4 > GT5.

Cars, GT5 = FM4. When you have so many shit looking cars, it doesn't really matter how many you have.

Fun factor, GT5 > FM4. I've put countless of hours in GT5. I looked forward to playing it everyday with my DFGT. With Forza, I didn't really care too much about it when I had my 360. I played it for <20 hours at most. I can't remember really.

So, I would like PD to learn from the physics of FM4. And menus. And menu music. And the sound effects.

DJ_Lae

I've played more Forza 4.

I also traded in GT5 shortly after launch and later repurchased at a discount it because I figured the patches would have helped it become a better game (they didn't).

GT5 is an often gorgeous game but I've never really had any fun playing it.

I am sure more people play or have played GT PSP than F4.

He may be biased but at least he can appreciate why people prefer GT. I don't think there is anyone in this thread who does not favour one but there are very few in this thread that are totally dismissive of competition. I can only think of one.

Though it might come out as trolling it is indeed true, sad when you think about it. FM4 is such a good game, the demographic of the platform just sucks.

Ty4on

No, it's awesome!

Wish there was a better Vita version. I hate the loading times and glitches in track graphics, but I love the driving physics (so much better than GT4), love how you buy much more cars with the limited selection and think the cockpit view is pretty clever. The smooth 60fps also help giving it a great sense of speed in cockpit view. Kind of strange how much better the sound sounds from behind where you get the exhaust rumble.

Artorias

Banned
I've played both, if that counts.

I'm basically a GT fanboy.

Physics, FM4 > GT5. Overall, GT5 has a very good driving feel. FM4 also feels good. However, Forza has a superior tyre model and suspension model. Furthermore, GT5 feels like the real understeer simulator compared to Forza.

Graphically, GT5 > FM4.

Sounds, hit and miss on both games. Some cars sound pretty good on GT5. A lot sound crap. Forza overexaggerates, but generally is more sound than GT5. I also hate the annoying squeeling effects in both games. Still, due to consistency, FM4 > GT5.

Menus, FM4 > GT5. Fuck this convuluted bullshit design, PD! FM4's menus are simple, clean and elegent.

Menu music, FM4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GT5. Jazz sucks.

Customisation, FM4 > GT5.

Cars, GT5 = FM4. When you have so many shit looking cars, it doesn't really matter how many you have.

Fun factor, GT5 > FM4. I've put countless of hours in GT5. I looked forward to playing it everyday with my DFGT. With Forza, I didn't really care too much about it when I had my 360. I played it for <20 hours at most. I can't remember really.

So, I would like PD to learn from the physics of FM4. And menus. And menu music. And the sound effects.

Great breakdown. The only one i'd change for myself is menu music. I love the smooth jazz, its part of the experience.

DJ_Lae

No, it's awesome!

Wish there was a better Vita version. I hate the loading times and glitches in track graphics, but I love the driving physics (so much better than GT4), love how you buy much more cars with the limited selection and think the cockpit view is pretty clever. The smooth 60fps also help giving it a great sense of speed in cockpit view. Kind of strange how much better the sound sounds from behind where you get the exhaust rumble.

GT PSP would have been a great game if it actually had a career mode (even something paltry like GT5!) and proper car dealerships rather than the random selection. Ultimately it had some nice aspects but nothing to really tie any of it together and I didn't end up playing much of it.

I was particularly disappointed as I had waited for that game to purchase my PSP and bought the GT bundle and everything.

Gestault

Do not own Forza 4 but spent 2 months with the game, loved it but not enough to kick out GT5 from the top of my hearts podium. There is somthing about GT5 that draws me to it, it is sort of the same argument Porsche owners make when they are confronted by GTR fans. The GTR is fast, new, packed with tech and its cool (i love the GTR btw), but there is something about that old guy on the block that still draws more people to buy porches. Also GT5 is the only sim racer that (30-40% of the time) i can go into a random room and have an amazing race, something that never happened in the short time i spent with FM4.

I really like your vehicle analogy. It's especially apt, because different car makes actually do have things that are better or worse than one another, but overall tend to get the job done, and some are especially good, despite their differences.

Seems to fit the "mood" for two different racing series.

I've played more Forza 4.

I also traded in GT5 shortly after launch and later repurchased at a discount it because I figured the patches would have helped it become a better game (they didn't).

GT5 is an often gorgeous game but I've never really had any fun playing it.

The most fun i have with GT5 is online clean Shuffle races, there are a lot of them. The playing field is somewhat level all it comes down to is skills.

shinnn

GT brakes are wrong since.. always. Still unrealistic in GT5. Remember in prologue, when you can lock the front tires and still manage to turn the car? lol

I dont know if he played with all assists off, but he always called it as a sim.

The P4 is indeed an awesome car to drive in FM4. Have you tried the real car to compare? how is it? Dont remember nothing awkward when I tried it in Forza. At least nothing awkard like the Elise on that top gear event, or the 370z in the GT Academy.

Gestault

No, it's awesome!

I'm actually ecstatic to hear it get some love on here. Finding out I could use the download version on my Vita with the transfer trick was pure icing.

velociraptor

Great breakdown. The only one i'd change for myself is menu music. I love the smooth jazz, its part of the experience.
I know GT5 has custom soundtracks but I would prefer unique electro music for each 'section' ala GT1 :p

BTW, I love racing games, yet I suck so bad at them. I am a competent driver compared to the casual, but compared to people who play online, jeez... I get raped.

Same here. I love em both, and would prefer to have both of their next installments, but to this day its Forza 4 I play far more than GT5. The standard cars, the menus, the pixelated shadows and smoke, and grindy career mode, and having to win that horrible VW van race to unlock the Top Gear test track all wore on me after a while, even if it also had some of the best driving moments I've had this gen. There's too much bullshit surrounding a truly awesome core.

Forza has the cars I want, all with detailed cockpit views, and the career mode adapts itself to the cars you want to drive. Toss in clubs, paints, rivals and a tuning marketplace and its also sunk more of its social hooks into me.

They're both fucking brilliant titles though.

GT brakes are wrong since.. always. Still unrealistic in GT5. Remember in prologue, when you can lock the front tires and still manage to turn the car? lol

I dont know if he played with all assists off, but he always called it as a sim.

The P4 is indeed an awesome car to drive in FM4. Have you tried the real car to compare? how is it? Dont remember nothing awkward when I tried it in Forza. At least nothing awkard like the Elise on that top gear event, or the 370z in the GT Academy.
Brakes lock properly in GT5.

And yes, it is awesome, awesomely easy.

And by awkward you mean, too hard for you right? lol Nothing but racing softs for you next time!

And since we're into saying dumb meaningless things, when did you race an Elise or 370z on a race regular street tires?

velociraptor

Same here. I love em both, and would prefer to have both of their next installments, but to this day its Forza 4 I play far more than GT5. The standard cars, the menus, the pixelated shadows and smoke, and grindy career mode, and having to win that horrible VW van race to unlock the Top Gear test track all wore on me after a while, even if it also had some of the best driving moments I've had this gen. There's too much bullshit surrounding a truly awesome core.

Forza has the cars I want, all with detailed cockpit views, and the career mode adapts itself to the cars you want to drive. Toss in clubs, paints, rivals and a tuning marketplace and its also sunk more of its social hooks into me.

They're both fucking brilliant titles though.

Some of the races in GT5 suck hard. But I do like the fact it forces you to explore other cars.

In Forza, I ended up using the same cars over and over and over again.

Brakes lock in GT5.

And yes, it is awesome, awesomely easy.

And by awkward you mean, too hard for you right? lol Nothing but racing softs for you next time!
Confession... I only use racing softs in GT5. :embarrassed:

Top Bottom