• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This doesn't mean downgrade or anything like the one twitter guy implied though. Kind of hyperbolic.

I guess if some want to look at this as bad then power to them.

Errr.. it's based off the Killzone SF slides posted way back?

UswQsIx.jpg

Copy from the next thread .
They going to end up even worst for Eurogamer if this not true .
Funny thing is if the did not put they can use back 1 GB extra we would know it's BS since the The Witness uses 5 GB already .

I have no idea how reputable these sources are. Although I do distinctly recall people strongly objecting to the idea that the PS4 would reserve more than 1GB for OS.

Krakn3Dfx

If the previous generation is any indication, both consoles will slim down OS requirements over time hopefully, giving developers more to work with.

2.5GB does seem like a lot for the OS (especially without The Price Is Right), but hopefully it means kickass OS integration for the PS4.

daveo42

Banned
That seems a bit bloated to me. Were they really basing it off the KZ slides? Those are old anyway before they revealed the 8GB news in Feb.

Wow, they took that down fast. More than likely bullshit. Maybe someone was writing up the article and used the amounts as a placeholder and accidentally submitted it? I saw shit like that happen when I did articles for a site.

LCfiner

Seems real weird. Not buying it yet.

I mean, if it is true, it's disappointing. But why on earth would Sony need ~3 GB of RAM for their OS? Are they gonna announce that they're changing strategy and running a desktop PC OS and recording TV alongside games? They've shown nothing that would explain why they need as much RAM reserved as the XB1

I got a source in my office, he has poured over slides of info, and he says this is false.

I have no source, but I do believe Cerny and developers currently working on PS4 dev kits more than a guy at a Eurogamer Portugal office.

Xbox one, LOL 3GB TO THE OS, AHHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU SUCK MS.

Sony? Well we had 512mb last gen so this is plenty.

Please make your minds up gamers.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of GDDR5 its 8GB memory for the operating system, leaving 4.5GB of space for game code, according to current documentation PS4 shown to Digital Foundry by a well-placed source in the studio. However, other sources suggest that an additional 1GB of "flexible memory" can be claimed of booking OS, based on availability.
This is really hard to believe.

Danneee

It makes sense for a console that's made to run lots of things in the background and several os:s but what is the PS4s excuse?

Takuya

Banned
UHhh wtf?

The PlayStation 4 gives up 5.5GB of RAM to game developers

The PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of GDDR5 its 8GB memory for the operating system, leaving 4.5GB of space for game code, according to current documentation PS4 shown to Digital Foundry by a well-placed source in the studio. However, other sources suggest that an additional 1GB of "flexible memory" can be claimed of booking OS, based on availability.

Translated via Google.

The heck? lol

http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory_1

Not surprising if true and also not a big deal. 4.5 is plenty and they still have the faster memory. Would like to see something from Sony though before putting any stock in this.

Omiee

Seems real weird. Not buying it yet.

I mean, if it is true, it's disappointing. But why on earth would Sony need ~3 GB of RAM for their OS? Are they gonna announce that they're changing strategy and running a desktop PC OS and recording TV alongside games? They've shown nothing that would explain why they need as much RAM reserved as the XB1

Are you kidding me? Ps3 had 512 and is still pushing out amazing games.

EVen ifs only 5 gb its still a lot of ram.

Takuya

Banned
Oh and btw, I'm calling BS on this, if the OS was using 3.5GB of memory, then technically before the "upgrade" to 8GB, then developers only had 0.5GB to use?

Yea, ok.

Guymelef

It's up in Eurogamer.net
PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of its 8GB GDDR5 memory for the operating system, leaving 4.5GB of space for game code, according to current PlayStation 4 documentation shown to Digital Foundry by a well-placed development source. However, further sources suggest that an additional 1GB of "flexible memory" may be reclaimed from the OS reservation, based on availability.

That was the big hoopla yesterday? Wow. I'd say this is good considering Sony has flexibility and can reduce the OS footprint down the line. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The PS3 had 512MB of ram but still produced some damn good games, so with the PS4 having way more ram I'm sure we will be fine. Sony has done their homework this time.

Top Bottom