• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Just woke up, i see that I missed some crazy stuff overnight. Need to go to work, will read this in 7 hours.

Just one question: how many fatalities?

quickwhips

Everyone saying 5.5 where are they getting this from? They said 4.5 with 1 GB set a side for debugging. I don't think this means all games magically get 5.5 but I still this is just a rumor till Sony says other wise.

nib95

Banned
72GB/s for the 7770 and 67GB/s for the XB1. The effective bandwidth on the XB1 will be a lot higher than that though due to the eSRAM.

Out of curiosity why is the bandwidth of the 7770 so much lower than the 7870/7850? Does it not use GDDR5?

Finalizer

I think 7770 have more VRAM a lot more, XB1 have only 32MB SDRAM and ddr3 isn't considered VRAM.

VRAM is just video memory, as in what's allocated to the GPU in a PC environment, where the Xbone/PS4 have a single, unified pool that doesn't need to be divied up between the CPU/GPU. So that 5GB of RAM in the Xbone isn't discriminated toward either the CPU/GPU; they both tap into it. It isn't about whether it's DDR, GDDR3, GDDR5, etc.

That said, the DDR3/ESRAM combo does bring in the question of bandwidth, and what role that'll end up playing. Really it just makes it harder to justify the straight up PC comparisons to anything other than an extremely broad, unspecific view at where these systems might be in overall performance capabilities.

fritolay

Recommended RAM on windows 7 embedded devices looks like it is 1 GB RAM. This would be for industrial use with a UI, not all the multimedia stuff video. However it is also not optimized for specific hardware.

strata8

Out of curiosity why is the bandwidth of the 7770 so much lower than the 7870/7850? Does it not use GDDR5?

I'm not really sure. 128-bit bus vs. 256-bit bus in the PS4 looks like one of the main reasons, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Everyone saying 5.5 where are they getting this from? They said 4.5 with 1 GB set a side for debugging. I don't think this means all games magically get 5.5 but I still this is just a rumor till Sony says other wise.

From the article:

developers can request up to an additional gigabyte of "flexible memory", and use it to boost elements of the game

I assume developers have to phone Sony to ask if they can tighten up the graphics on level 3.

KoopaTheCasual

1. The DF's "sources" are old KZ slides.

2. We have reputable Sony insiders who actually posted this info:

So just a recollection of the insider posts:

Famousmortimer

Verendus

Thuway

Shinobi

So yea. Also, not seeing any mentioning of debugging anywhere. But you are right, all of this is technically speculation until Sony says otherwise. However, DF's claims, especially using several month old documents that didn't specify the actual RAM limit on the console, have close to zero credibility at this point.

GameStop is taking preorders on PS4 starting tomorrow 7-27-13. It probably won't last long though. If you missed your opportunity, I'd jump on it. They're also giving 50% extra trade-in credit on all games/systems/accessories right now. I traded in my PS3 and some games and got $300+ to pay off my PS4 preorder. I don't see any threads about it, and I can't make a thread. Somebody should make a thread to get the word out and help those that missed earlier last month.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just got done reading all 54 pages now. That was certainly something; some gold quotes here and there. Thanks for all the updates though, you know who you guys are. :)

i-Lo

Looks like Shinobi's info is still the best thing we have.

Do we already know what the "flexible memory" is for?

My take:

One thing pertaining to that "flexible" RAM is that sounds awfully like a shrinking and enlarging OS functionality. So if I am not mistaken the aim is that while not gaming, the OS consumes 3.5GB and on the flip side consumes one GB less while in gaming mode.

Or am I mistaken in that assumption?

Basically devs get to program knowing 5.5GB will be available.

quickwhips

Where did you get debugging from?

I was talking about this from the article.

Current PlayStation 4 dev kits have a "Game Memory Budget Mode" in the debug settings featuring two options: normal and large. The normal mode setting confirms that 4.5GB of memory is usable for game applications. The large mode increases this considerably to 5.25GB, but the docs are clear that the extra RAM here is only available for application development, presumably in order to house debugging data. From what we understand, the extra gig of flexible memory appears to work in addition to these allowances.

But I'm guessing I miss understood what the extra gig was for or its out dated document now?

My take:

Basically devs get to program knowing 5.5GB will be available.

That's a very interesting idea.

So devs could decide whether they go for maximum gaming fidelity or for maximum OS multitasking. The latter could be an interesting alternative for socially oriented multiplayer games.

I really like this thougt and it would mean that PS4 has potential to use a maximum of 6.5GB if Sony decides that they don't need the 1GB reserve.

Both of the consoles sounds pretty average now... :(

No. The RAM is still there and Shinobi said OS will use 1.5GB max. Better safe than sorry.

Ishan

Why isn't Sony's man god Cerny making a comment? Does he only do positive PR?

Okay as a junior to a junior . Neither of us are vetted . But why the negativity and questioning ? I feel neogaf is a great opportunity to learn about things most people don't have access to and get insider info people mostly can't .. I seriously can't understand the harshness in your comments or replies. We're all just trying to figure things out ... No one is competing .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does he ever comment on anything when he's not doing interviews? He's not on Twitter or anything after all.

He does have a twitter account but he barely uses it, it's mostly just links to interviews he does. He made a couple excited comments after the E3 conference on there but that's it.

StoopKid

Why isn't Sony's man god Cerny making a comment? Does he only do positive PR?

jags.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is ridiculous, but what if that extra GB of Ram is for first party only in the first years of the generation?

It's probably accessible to everyone but first parties are likely the only ones that will actually tap into it, especially with so many cross gen games coming out.

Vestal

Okay as a junior to a junior . Neither of us are vetted . But why the negativity and questioning ? I feel neogaf is a great opportunity to learn about things most people don't have access to and get insider info people mostly can't .. I seriously can't understand the harshness in your comments or replies. We're all just trying to figure things out ... No one is competing .
what the heck is this?? He is raising a valid question in his post. Sonys silence over the past 36 or so hours has been pretty strange. (36 since eg asked for comment yesterday but apparently didn't get it).

I would suggest to not try and play the holier than thou card around here, it really doesn't fair well in these parts.

Top Bottom