• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

mrJared

Banned
the longer it takes someone from Sony to discredit this, makes it seem all the more legit.

hard to imagine the OS being that bloated though.

Midou

So just a recollection of the insider posts:

Famousmortimer

Verendus

Thuway

Shinobi

Just saw this now when everyone else quoted it, so I take it there is nothing to be worried about and 90% of the thread is over-reacting.

Yep, this is NeoGaf.

It's actually pretty smart to do it the way they did.

Wynnebeck

Banned
what the heck is this?? He is raising a valid question in his post. Sonys silence over the past 36 or so hours has been pretty strange. (36 since eg asked for comment yesterday but apparently didn't get it).

I would suggest to not try and play the holier than thou card around here, it really doesn't fair well in these parts.

It's not a holier than thou attitude. Sony being silent is Sony being silent. It's the weekend. People are with their families. Sony doesn't have to say shit at the moment because this is all speculation on DF's part. They are probably going to take the weekend to chill out and then comment with a: "We don't comment on speculation, etc." The fact remains that people are still being stupid and trying to rile things up for no reason even aftr we've had several people come in and say otherwise.

Dlacy13g

Okay as a junior to a junior . Neither of us are vetted . But why the negativity and questioning ? I feel neogaf is a great opportunity to learn about things most people don't have access to and get insider info people mostly can't .. I seriously can't understand the harshness in your comments or replies. We're all just trying to figure things out ... No one is competing .

To be fair its a legit question. Why has Sony not responded to anyones request for clarification? Not even IGN whom has a great relationship with Sony.

KoopaTheCasual

what the heck is this?? He is raising a valid question in his post. Sonys silence over the past 36 or so hours has been pretty strange. (36 since eg asked for comment yesterday but apparently didn't get it).

I would suggest to not try and play the holier than thou card around here, it really doesn't fair well in these parts.

His post was filled with sarcasm and salt. We've only seen Cerny do interviews, so you can bet he will be thrown these questions at his next public appearance. He wasn't being curious and asking questions. He was being smug just to satisfy himself.

GobFather

To be fair its a legit question. Why has Sony not responded to anyones request for clarification? Not even IGN whom has a great relationship with Sony.
As stated by someone, isn't it the weekend? Sooo let it rest till Monday. You are arguing like its the mid week and theres no response lol

oh man, it's a carbon copy of the "why are Sony so silent of the DRM, that clearly means they have it" bullshit from before E3

round and round we go, where we stop, nobody knows.....

HORRORSHØW

Sham? Wow.
shamwow1.gif

Honestly, all we've gotten out of this is that for the time being, devs are developing PS4 titles with the following assumptions/limitations:

4.5GB for games
2.5GB for OS

The way I see it, the OS side & flexible 1GB RAM side is not finalised due to whatever tweaks or OS footprint they can extract from the system, but baseline assumptions start from there so that devs don't have to worry that their PS4 games will not work.

As stated by someone, isn't it the weekend? Sooo let it rest till Monday. You are arguing like its the mid week and theres no response lol

Weekend generally doesn't mean everyone packs up and goes home. If you ran a business that just up and stopped on weekends, something is seriously wrong. You are going to have a couple executives there, you are going to have your PR people there, you are going to have your product managers, general employees and supervisors there. This isn't school, its real life. People work on weekends and get scattered breaks throughout the days. Even top level people.

astraycat

Sony not saying anything seems more par for the course than anything else. They basically clammed up after their February announcement; the only reactionary statement I remember them ever making is that the console will continuously record the last 15 minutes of gameplay.

I don't imagine Sony will comment directly on this. There's very little to gain; those who need to know (disclosed developers) already know, and they likely know the reasoning behind it as well. This, unlike recording length, does not have a direct effect on consumers, but even if it's true it's just another thing that developers have to keep in mind while developing a game. If developers start making a lot of noise about it Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) will look into freeing more RAM up. Right now I doubt anyone's making noise.

It's a Friday. Sony doesn't want to deal with forum bullshit.

Jack_AG

Banned
They don't answer because the internet really isn't serious business, junior. They don't need to spill the beans on everything and neither does MS. If you are a shareholder then you won't be looking to IGN for answers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
preorders canceled

It's not like it had problems with preorders before. This just means that there will be more units available for people who don't really care about this.

Not to mention that those who apparently cancelled their preorders are probably just trolling. Also, guys, don't post images of that, I'm pretty sure at least one guy is banned because of that.

GobFather

Weekend generally doesn't mean everyone packs up and goes home. If you ran a business that just up and stopped on weekends, something is seriously wrong. You are going to have a couple executives there, you are going to have your PR people there, you are going to have your product managers, general employees and supervisors there. This isn't school, its real life. People work on weekends and get scattered breaks throughout the days. Even top level people.

Duh you will have employees still but at the minimal. Totally different from a weekday and weekend. I cant personally say for every business but in my personal experiences at Sony headquarter in Foster City.... Trust me. There isn't that many people or barely. I now work in hospitals and same thing. You have RN, CNA and etc but barely any management sooooo yea mostly wait till the weekday

remnant

Banned

No it's not. It's common practice to allow bad news to die over the weekend.

If this is still an issue by next tuesday, I would expect an official response, not now

RefigeKru

Banned
So in the end a whole lotta' nuthin?

We really just need to get eyes on new PS4/Xb1 footage - it'd satiate the bloodlust before launch, surely.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Sony never, ever talked about RAM allocation on their past systems. I don't see why should they respond to this non issue. We know that the devs are happy right now, we know that the OS footprint can be reduced, I don't really see why should we be worried.

Same goes for MS, hadn't they chosen to talk about RAM allocation, why should we press them to do it?

Because they speak on their own terms. Yall are going to feel like crap when they've clarify what's going on just like they did with the whole DRM Debacle. I'd rather they silent and get the story straight once and only than speak out and have to explain 5 different times because all different people in management can't get their shit together. I like the way Sony is handling their PR because everyone is on the same page. So it's better to wait period.

StoopKid

Sony never, ever talked about RAM allocation on their past systems. I don't see why should they respond to this non issue. We know that the devs are happy right now, we know that the OS footprint can be reduced, I don't really see why should we be worried.

Same goes for MS, hadn't they chosen to talk about RAM allocation, why should we press them to do it?

Awesome thread title.

I don't understand all the drama from some people though, it's not like they are downgrading anything, all the games will look the same as they showed previously.

Both of the consoles sounds pretty average now... :(

They were average right from the start. This thread will do a lot of good though, maybe now people will stop screaming "but 8GB GDDR5!" everytime there's tech talk about the capabilities of next-gen consoles.

I assume the tread title change means this is all bullshit...right?

No, it seems the info is legit. It's just not a hard limit, it has the potential to expand over time if Sony decides it doesn't actually need the 1GB in reserve. So for the first 2-3 years most games will probably be made with that 4,5 GB limit in mind, later it may change.

Klocker

Sure:

Metro 2033 1920x1200
7770: 24 fps
7850: 38 fps
Difference: 55%

Dirt 3 1920x1200
7770: 52.5 fps
7850: 74 fps
Difference: 40%

Total War 2 1920x1200
7770: 47.5 fps
7850: 71 fps
Difference: 49%

Battlefield 3 1920x1200
7770: 33 fps
7850: 48.5 fps
Difference: 47%

It usually hovers around 45-55% difference, in line with the TFLOP count. The XB1 has 50% more CUs than the 7770 (clocked lower, so same TFLOPS) but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

come on... closed boxes with specially unique designs and added helper chips and features can not be compared to these cards

BigDug13

Why does Sony (or MS for that matter) have to say a damn thing? MS announces that they have 8GB RAM. Truth. Sony announces that they have 8GB RAM. Truth. They are not beholden to you to have a press conference to discuss how they break down the RAM allocation inside the system months before it is released. They are not required to jump through hoops on a weekend because an article comes out on Friday that discusses their RAM allocations. Cancel your preorders if you are concerned about either company not having a continuous dialog with you about their spec choices.

DR3AM

3rd time complaining about the title

why has it been changed? why doesn't it say "RUMOR: Only 4.5 Gigs ram available for games"

the mods are completely bias to sony, if it was MS, title would have not been changed. total BS

Top Bottom