• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

GAF running club, is there any consensus on the typical heart rate one should aim for? I typically just run like I like to and I guess it has served me well. But I think I hit a wall at around ~5.30 minutes per kilometer on even ground and ~5.45 per kilometer on ground with elevation (which is where I typically run). I usually run about 6 (typical) to 8km. I have a fitness tracker Garmin Vivosmart VR, which is supposedly pretty correct in terms of heartrate readings, except for sudden spikes where it apparently needs 30 seconds or so until it catches up with reality.
I tried to measure my max. heart rate and it's most likely above 190. The highest I got from the Vivosmart was ~192 doing laps in the stadium with ~150m basically as fast I could and ~250m really slow running. That kind of excercise felt very intense, but not bad (I didn't feel like throwing up or having a headache etc.).
I tend to go for the mid 170s, while max tends to be about 180-182 (at one of the uphill sections). If I wanna increase pace (and maybe also a little in terms of distance, what should I do in terms of heart rate? Keep it where I am, go lower? Or do different heart rate runs from time to time?
At one time I tried to do a run with 150 being the maximum heart rate and it felt terrible. I ran for like an hour and felt like I could literally go on forever. I actually was thinking about taking Gameboy Micro with me for a second lol.

Thanks for your help :)

Edit: I'm 33, male, kind of fit (tennis player), and started running about 5 or 6 years ago. I tend to not run during ~May to ~August though because of the tennis season. I'm running through most of winter with usually 2 runs per week (I really only skip when it's icy or raining a lot).

Fistwell

GAF running club, is there any consensus on the typical heart rate one should aim for? I typically just run like I like to and I guess it has served me well. But I think I hit a wall at around ~5.30 minutes per kilometer on even ground and ~5.45 per kilometer on ground with elevation (which is where I typically run). I usually run about 6 (typical) to 8km. I have a fitness tracker Garmin Vivosmart VR, which is supposedly pretty correct in terms of heartrate readings, except for sudden spikes where it apparently needs 30 seconds or so until it catches up with reality.
I tried to measure my max. heart rate and it's most likely above 190. The highest I got from the Vivosmart was ~192 doing laps in the stadium with ~150m basically as fast I could and ~250m really slow running. That kind of excercise felt very intense, but not bad (I didn't feel like throwing up or having a headache etc.).
I tend to go for the mid 170s, while max tends to be about 180-182 (at one of the uphill sections). If I wanna increase pace (and maybe also a little in terms of distance, what should I do in terms of heart rate? Keep it where I am, go lower? Or do different heart rate runs from time to time?
At one time I tried to do a run with 150 being the maximum heart rate and it felt terrible. I ran for like an hour and felt like I could literally go on forever. I actually was thinking about taking Gameboy Micro with me for a second lol.

Edit: I'm 33, male, kind of fit (tennis player), and started running about 5 or 6 years ago. I tend to not run during ~May to ~August though because of the tennis season. I'm running through most of winter with usually 2 runs per week (I really only skip when it's icy or raining a lot).
I'd say best way to increase pace is increase weekly mileage. Be wary to not overdo it. People advocate 10% increase per week, no need to follow it strictly, but it's a useful reference to keep in mind for perspective. Spending more time running will work your aerobic system. Distance running is primarily an aerobic activity. As basic aerobic capacity improves, effort necessary and HBR at a given pace will lower. There are specific workouts you can do to complement that (e.g. threshold runs to work lactic acid recycling) that have effects complementary to this base-building, but if you're at 2 runs per week now, I would not worry about it. Going up from 12-16Km/week to, say, 25 should make a difference, if you're consistent with it. They say the average time it takes for the base aerobic system to respond to increased mileage is around 6 weeks. It requires patience, some consistency and discipline. Don't worry about pace for now. Increase distance, wait for things to feel easier (~6 weeks), then pick up the pace.

Fisico

Sounds solid, nice work. Had that kind of key workout last weekend, three hours running, first 2 easy (~5min/Km), last hour at goalish pace (ended up around 4:24min/Km avg, aiming at 4:20 to 4:30 on race day depending on feels). Showing myself I could sustain the pace on tired legs was a boost to confidence, even though I started fading towards the end a bit. One week after time trialing a semi, with other workouts sprinkled in and unusually long (for me) weekly mileage, I definitely felt it the next cple of days. Now walking the tight rope of getting enough taper rest while keeping enough intensity to stay (or get!) sharp. Running's complicated.

Yep can't deny all of that :p
That made a 37.6km training, that's impressive, will probably never do that in training before a long time as I'm not confident at all my body would handle it (for my two previous marathon my big training were 80 and 95km with bike for that specific reason)

It's a very satisfying feeling to hold up and go faster as time pass, would love to be able to do a negative split one day.

@Frankfurter : If you're feeling alright they you shouldn't care too much about what HBR monitor tell you, it's an interesting data to use and compare later on but you shouldn't focus too much on it, especially at the beginning.

Honestly, heart rate training has too many variables so I would say to run something that feels comfortable to you. I mean, some days I've seen my HR spike to Z5 for an easy run while some days Z2 for the same pace. And on my harder track days I've seen my HR stay in Z3 due to cardiac lag.

My policy is, as long as I'm capable of talking in coherent sentences rather than phrases I'm at an appropriate heart rate. Still, that being said it's still interesting to check it postrun which is why I leave the feature on lol.

Half Marathon done in 1:57. Really happy since my last was over 2:10.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1197329537/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1506168601

Boy was that a poorly organised event though. It had a 30 minute late start. No stewards directing people to the starting line which was a 10 minute walk away from all the toilets and bag drop and stuff. Got to walk 5 mins after finishing to get water. I just kind of had to find the start on my own

Half Marathon done in 1:57. Really happy since my last was over 2:10.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1197329537/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1506168601

Boy was that a poorly organised event though. It had a 30 minute late start. No stewards directing people to the starting line which was a 10 minute walk away from all the toilets and bag drop and stuff. Got to walk 5 mins after finishing to get water. I just kind of had to find the start on my own

Congrats on the time! Nicely done. Shame the event was a bit of a mess though, it always stains the experience a bit - especially when the final fueling station is a long way from the finishing line. Water should be available as soon as possible after finishing the race.

Fisico

Wow race wasn't flat at all, we can almost feel your pain seeing your pace vary greatly between km (especially the 19th), well done.

Wow race wasn't flat at all, we can almost feel your pain seeing your pace vary greatly between km (especially the 19th), well done.

A ambulance had to go by a narrow road we where on so that's what happened there.

My pace after around 15k is always a crapshoot anyway. I was struggling the last few but the course it self was ok. I think I might have only walked twice to shake my legs and arms loose though. I am getting much better at the whole not taking walk breaks thing. I was going above my normal pace too. Not shocked I was depleted near the end.

Course itself was ok for the overall elevation changes. All big hills in half 1 so it was mostly down for half 2 outside the last stretch which was kinda hell

Oh and apparently due to traffic half the water didn't show up so they had a water station at 6 km and I think that was it. I bring my own bottle so I was fine but a lot of the others suffered. It was a new venue for them but man. Seems just about everything went wrong for them.

Fisico

Oh and apparently due to traffic half the water didn't show up so they had a water station at 6 km and I think that was it. I bring my own bottle so I was fine but a lot of the others suffered. It was a new venue for them but man. Seems just about everything went wrong for them.

That's pretty pretty bad, for safety reasons races like that could be cancelled depending where you live, you don't mess up with that in a half marathon (in marathon that could as well end up as manslaughter)

Fistwell

Anyone watching Berlin? Woke up late, was wondering where the hell were kispang, bekele, kipchoge, kipruto, and who were all the white guys in the leading pack (no offense to white guys, only select few of us able to sustain WR pace -about, what, zero?-). That was not the leading pack, that was the first german, clearly more interesting than the historic, possibly record setting front race, between the absolute best marathoners in the world (maybe all time). Thanks German TV! Tschuuuuss!

Edit: Kenenisa getting gapped! :'O ;'( </3

Who the f is that Adola guy??? (lol first name Guye actually)

Kipruto getting gapped! Yay! (fuck that guy)

Kipsang dropped out! Km 30! :O

It's all Kipchoge and Guye guy now, with Kipruto in the background trying to rally! Kipruto not looking good though...

Oh, german elite shitlord getting dropped from his scrubmasters group. Tough titties Herr Schnitzel, better luck next year!

Leaders sliding below WR pace, behind by 6s at Km 35. Kipchoge asking Guye guy to take turn leading. Guye guy: "Suck my balls, Eliud."

Guye guy attacking! OMG!

Eh Kipchoge got this. Letting other guy spend himself, Kipchoge looking relaxed. GG looks to be in pain.

Oh shit! Eliud flashing evil smile to the camera, staring GG down (Luigi style) as he bears down on him! GG still holding the lead, not having fun tho!

GG form starting to break, still leading by 50m.

Eliud closing down on him! GG looking over his shoulder! Eliud passing him! Km 40! Running together now!

Kipchoge looking like he's having a good time on his Sunday morning tempo. GG looks about to die any second now.

Eliud keeping up his pace, looking smooth, GG starting to fade! 15m gap! Km 40.7

Stick a fork in him, GG getting dropped, Kipchoge flying to the finish. Looking like a 2:03:25...

Oh snap, Herrn Schnitzel Meister fell on his ass or some shit! Quick, someone find the Helles IV!

Kipchoge in 2:03:34. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

GG 3s behind.

Kipruto in 2:06:15! Get that weak shit out of here, Vincent!

Oh shnaps! Schnitzel Meister legit shook! I kinda feel bad now. :( (not really lol)

Getting in a car now, I suspect letting his watch run for those glorious 0:50 STRAVA last cple of kilometers. Those segments are HIS!

Eliud giving post race interview. Looking fresh and relaxed.

Jeffed the fuck out of Equinox24 :)

150k in 24 hours 23 minutes. 10,024 feet of elevation. Got the medal & a bronze and silver pin to add to say I'd completed 10 and 15 laps (20 gets a gold pin, not many have ever been given out IIRC).

Could have gone better around midnight, low on drink, low on food intake, decided to do a slow walked maintenance lap just as it went very dark, the wind picked up an I was very close to being taken away for treatment, only been that cold after Irwell 20 race in horrendous rain). Instead, a clubmate deposited a jacket, I made my way back ridiculously slowly (weaving all over, people asking if I was OK/drunk/etc.) Was presented with the most amazing large bowl of soup, a massive jug of tea and I stuck practically every item of clothing I had on, jumped in a sleeping bag and fired up the heating in my van. After a while I started sweating and decided to crack on again and a friend accompanied me on a super-slow walked lap to get my confidence back. After that it was pretty routine.

150k in 24 hours 23 minutes. 10,024 feet of elevation. Got the medal & a bronze and silver pin to add to say I'd completed 10 and 15 laps (20 gets a gold pin, not many have ever been given out IIRC).

Could have gone better around midnight, low on drink, low on food intake, decided to do a slow walked maintenance lap just as it went very dark, the wind picked up an I was very close to being taken away for treatment, only been that cold after Irwell 20 race in horrendous rain). Instead, a clubmate deposited a jacket, I made my way back ridiculously slowly (weaving all over, people asking if I was OK/drunk/etc.) Was presented with the most amazing large bowl of soup, a massive jug of tea and I stuck practically every item of clothing I had on, jumped in a sleeping bag and fired up the heating in my van. After a while I started sweating and decided to crack on again and a friend accompanied me on a super-slow walked lap to get my confidence back. After that it was pretty routine.

Sounds like one hell of an experience. Would you do it (or something similar) again?

That's pretty pretty bad, for safety reasons races like that could be cancelled depending where you live, you don't mess up with that in a half marathon (in marathon that could as well end up as manslaughter)

Speculation was a big reason for the change of venue was a death 2 years ago so they wanted a course with a much easier second half and less hills to make it a bit easier since the previous course was a tad brutal. Could only imagine what could have happened if the weather wasnt overcast.

But yeah. The event and local authorities are doing a review but basically they completely messed up pre event traffic management and road closures. If you went by car you where screwed so a lot of racers, event staff and supplies simply couldnt even make it for the start even with a 30 minute delay. I think of the 9000 expected, 3000 couldnt make it.

They are normally a super professional group and have done events leading up to the Dublin Marathon for years and years. This is super out of character for them.

Sounds like one hell of an experience. Would you do it (or something similar) again?

Today I said fuck no. When I got home my brother invited me to the same sort of thing but more local next year, so I think the answer might be yes instead. TBH I was thinking it'd be one & done. I'd rather do soem point-to-point ultras that don't need great navigation skills and then get myself some great navigation skills and do some proper ones.

So I got let go on my current job, and after the friends I've made, the thing I'll miss the most is my running grounds. It's a perfect, round, gradual uphill route that I think was the thing that made me fit. To be honest, I'm quite scared that other routes won't compare, and I'll start my slide again to obesity. I'm not even sure if the place I'll be going next would have running grounds. The loss of that place is devastating.

ATF487

Ran a 5k course today that kicked my ass. I'm a little out of shape, haven't been running as much due to work and no upcoming half to train for, but the course was nuts. It was a trail race with an immediate steep incline, and even after reaching the peak, the decline was so steep that it was hard to recover. Very tight course and loads of rocks as well. Felt silly for having so much trouble with 3 miles but it was still a lot of fun. Might start training on trails more often!

Fistwell

Sounds hellish! Grats on the achievement, 150Km is quite something. (Medal sounds meh though, I quite like the idea of the western states belt buckle.)

Aikidoka

For the first time since my injury, I ran twice in a row and included fast intervals in the 5k runs, and there was no noticeable pain from it. Pre-injury (over a year ago) I was getting close to a sub 20-minute 5K time and hopefully now that I feel safe increasing my pace and potentially sprinting, it won't take too long to get back to where I was. Currently, I'm running just a bit less than 30-min 5K.

I just wish that the apple watch could easily play podcasts. Seems like such a drawback.

Cyan

Banned
Supposed to do a 10k in like a week and a half, but thanks to a pulled muscle I hadn't been able to run in a while up until yesterday. My pace was terrible and I only did around 5k.

This is gonna suck.

littledipster

Neo Member
So this has been one of the worst months I've had since I started running 5 years ago... I was having some knee pain that hadn't fully gone away that made me take a full week off running, then on Saturday I actually got hit by a car in the last mile of my Saturday long run (normally I run with a group but a lot of people were racing Sunday so I was alone). I got clipped running through a crosswalk by a minivan and somehow escaped with some bad arm bruises and sprained wrists. I went to the hospital since I hit the back of my head on the pavement when i landed (luckily landed on my butt and rolled backwards) but all x rays and my cat scan came back good. I guess this is just a warning for anyone who doesn't run exclusively on a trail (especially in cities) to ALWAYS be cautious and ALWAYS be defensive in regards to cars, I'm extremely lucky to not have any serious injuries. My lower half was basically unhurt, except some pain on the inside of the knee that was hit which i think is from my knees knocking together on the impact of the car, so I'm already back to running - hopefully nothing else weird happens to me before the NYC Marathon!!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How long can you keep up with 180BPM?

Looking at my older stats from 2 years ago I used to always run at 100% for my training, 30-40mn with most of it above 180BPM
I then began to run longer distances at an easier pace (with others) and my race pace kept improving so I never went back to that kind of training.

@panda-zebra : Lol so many red flags you're setting up yourself and you still go with an happy go lucky attitude for what it is an incredible feat, I am honestly amazed!

Huh, very interesting. What are your steps per minute on average nowadays?

Supposed to do a 10k in like a week and a half, but thanks to a pulled muscle I hadn't been able to run in a while up until yesterday. My pace was terrible and I only did around 5k.

This is gonna suck.

Look at it as a short long run after a recovery period (easier said than done unfortunately). If the circuit is nice and the organization is up to par you'll be able to enjoy the race anyway :)

So this has been one of the worst months I've had since I started running 5 years ago... I was having some knee pain that hadn't fully gone away that made me take a full week off running, then on Saturday I actually got hit by a car in the last mile of my Saturday long run (normally I run with a group but a lot of people were racing Sunday so I was alone). I got clipped running through a crosswalk by a minivan and somehow escaped with some bad arm bruises and sprained wrists. I went to the hospital since I hit the back of my head on the pavement when i landed (luckily landed on my butt and rolled backwards) but all x rays and my cat scan came back good. I guess this is just a warning for anyone who doesn't run exclusively on a trail (especially in cities) to ALWAYS be cautious and ALWAYS be defensive in regards to cars, I'm extremely lucky to not have any serious injuries. My lower half was basically unhurt, except some pain on the inside of the knee that was hit which i think is from my knees knocking together on the impact of the car, so I'm already back to running - hopefully nothing else weird happens to me before the NYC Marathon!!

Man, really glad you are OK. Take it easy a couple of days to make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary.

Fistwell

This is gonna suck.
Sort of like Duebrithil's saying, see it as a no-pressure event. You haven't trained for this (due to no fault of your own), there's no expectation of performance. Have a nice, quiet easy run and enjoy your time outside, hanging out with fellow runners! :)

Dude, that's horrible. Glad you made it out 'OK' overall, we're all rooting for you!

Djostikk

How many times per week are you guys go running? I used to do it every day during sumer, but now it's getting really cold here and I think it will be winter in mid november. I'm just thinking about running during cold seasons, too. That's not a bad idea, right?

Fisico

Huh, very interesting. What are your steps per minute on average nowadays?

Steps per minute?
You mean my heartrate? If so I try to remain below 150 on an average training with some spikes at 175-180 when I push towards the end.

I should try to see if I can still push above 190, haven't done it for a long time

Or if you really mean "steps per minute" (not sure what this data is worth?) then :
- For my last Marathon in April I was hovering around ~910 steps for 5mn, that makes 182/mn I guess?
- For my last training yesterday, easy pace slightly below 12km/h, ~870steps/5mn 174steps/mn
- And my last 10k, fast pace 15.65km/h, not regular at all between 770-900steps/5mn, so 154-180steps/mn

From a technical point of view I think that might be my weak point, seeing a few video I did notice that I'm not moving my legs enough upwards when running (especially compared to others running at the same speed as I am), might be because unconsciously I'm still a bit scared to hurt my knee once again.

Btw I think I might be in a bit of an overtraining state, I have been waking up regularly during the night at random times (once a night), I fall back asleep a few minutes later but that's disturbing.
Also when waking up I feel a bit tired both physically and mentally, a few minutes after standing up it's ok but you still have that lingering feeling that you're not at 100%
My rest HR is also slightly going up (from 46 to 49-50)
All of that has been happening in the past 10 days.

I'll skip my bicycle training this Wednesday, hope it helps, it's very frustrating but I have to.

@Djostikk : Twice a week + bicycle once a week
It's absolutely not a bad idea to run during cold season, quite the opposite in fact as the temperature will help to cool down your body.
What you need are just proper clothes (especially the top) and gloves if you're hands don't handle the cold (like mine)

Fall and winter are the best seasons tu run imo.

KiKaL

Anyone have any opinions between the Garmin Forerunner 230 and the Garmin Fenix 3?

I need to get a new watch because my TomTom is having issues. I like the looks and cost of the Forerunner but I like that the Fenix 3 has a barometric sensor, seems to handle water slightly better, bigger battery (some races are getting in the 8+ hour range) and physical buttons (I have had issues with my TomTom not responding to touch well when wet). It also looks like the Fenix might have a better GPS system which would be great because I do a lot of trail running which sometimes it seems my TomTom had trouble finding me accurately.

I keep debating because the battery life on the Forerunner says 16 hours which is pretty good and I could always fall back to my TomTom potentially if I were to do say a 24hour event. The barometric sensor would be nice but at the end of the day...I guess it doesn't matter that much and then finally the Forerunner can handle being submerged in water so it's fine in that aspect. Then lastly I like the looks more of the Forerunner more to wear as an everyday watch too.

I think I am swaying more to the Forerunner to save the $100-150 but just trying to make sure I won't regret it. I am looking at these two watches because I seem to hear about them the most. I am open to other watches but the big thing is they need to be able to take a beating, I run mostly obstacle courses, and have a solid battery life.

Anyone have any opinions between the Garmin Forerunner 230 and the Garmin Fenix 3?

I need to get a new watch because my TomTom is having issues. I like the looks and cost of the Forerunner but I like that the Fenix 3 has a barometric sensor, seems to handle water slightly better, bigger battery (some races are getting in the 8+ hour range) and physical buttons (I have had issues with my TomTom not responding to touch well when wet). It also looks like the Fenix might have a better GPS system which would be great because I do a lot of trail running which sometimes it seems my TomTom had trouble finding me accurately.

I keep debating because the battery life on the Forerunner says 16 hours which is pretty good and I could always fall back to my TomTom potentially if I were to do say a 24hour event. The barometric sensor would be nice but at the end of the day...I guess it doesn't matter that much and then finally the Forerunner can handle being submerged in water so it's fine in that aspect. Then lastly I like the looks more of the Forerunner more to wear as an everyday watch too.

I think I am swaying more to the Forerunner to save the $100-150 but just trying to make sure I won't regret it. I am looking at these two watches because I seem to hear about them the most. I am open to other watches but the big thing is they need to be able to take a beating, I run mostly obstacle courses, and have a solid battery life.

I think Fistwell has/had a FR23X so he'll be able to give you some impressions on the watch. I've used a F3HR for a while (which is essentially a F3+Sapphire Glass+OHR monitor) and it's one rugged son-of-a-gun.

Fun story: one of the first days I took it out on a run I accidentally smashed it against a column. I took a look at the watch, terrified of having broken it so soon, and found it all dusty and dirty. I removed the dirt immediately, afraid of what I'd find beneath, only to see the watch in perfect condition (except for a minuscule dent near the strap): I simply tore a bit of the stone pillar with it.

Less than 2 weeks out from the marathon and all 3 of my kids are sick. I'm so screwed :(

You know what needs to be done
4bbxwqql7-peg-1ideipd1zs27.gif

Djostikk

How many times per week are you guys go running? I used to do it every day during sumer, but now it's getting really cold here and I think it will be winter in mid november. I'm just thinking about running during cold seasons, too. That's not a bad idea, right?

No one? ;(

Djostikk

I already answered you.

Yeah, just noticed that! What would you recommend for top?

P.S. Went to running yesterday and it was sooo good. Weather was cold, but I warmed up a bit and didn't sweat at all. The park where I'm usually running is beautiful in fall with leaves everywhere and few people around.

kottila

Running in the cold season is better than running when its too warm (which is practically never here). Just wear enough clothes. I run or ride my bike 5-6 times a week usually.

Fisico

Yeah, just noticed that! What would you recommend for top?

I'm not that knowledgable, but at first I used to wear a regular running t shirt + a top supposedly made for running that keeps you hot.
And keeping me hot it did, in fact I was even sweating so I better stopped running near somewhere warm or it was the best way to get sick in no time.

Later on I bought a more expensive one (around ~80€ I guess), much much lighter, with openings that protect you from the cold and allow your body's heat to evacuate, lot of zips too to allow for maximum freshness when your body is hot enough!

It's been two years now and I still use it when the temperature goes below 8-10°C (otherwise a simple t shirt is enough for me), so my recommendation would be to not go for too cheap, try to find one as light as possible (the heavier the more you will sweat and/or it will be uncomfortable), pockets is a plus and if it doesn't absord water then it's even better (or the thing can turn into a freezing hell quickly if you run with an heavy rain and it's cold outside, it happened to me once) but that's for very specific conditions.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Ok, that's it. Where can I get a durable pack of good compression shorts for less than wallet breaking price? I'm finally sticking to my 4 runs a week schedule but chafe is really destroying my thighs.

Zoe

Ok, that's it. Where can I get a durable pack of good compression shorts for less than wallet breaking price? I'm finally sticking to my 4 runs a week schedule but chafe is really destroying my thighs.

Why don't you just get Body Glide?

midramble

How well does it work and for how long? I've tried deodorants and Vaseline to no avail. How quickly does the stuff run out with regular use?

In my mind compression shorts were cheaper because it was a one time purchase. I don't have a lot of experience here.

midramble

Really well and for long enough.

I don't find compression shorts avoid the evil rub, they just do it differently.

Bodyglide is my savior for cycling, running, and swimming with a wetsuit. I can't imagine NOT using it.

My god you guys weren't kidding. This stuff is a game changer. I knocked out a 3.5 mile run and an additional 2.5 mile walk back with no chafe last night. No muscle strain to keep stuff bunched for padding. It entirely changed my running experience. I'm going to buy a larger pack of this stuff off amazon as soon as I can.

Fistwell

Oh yeah, you guys have your marathons this Sunday, right? How are you doing? Lots of nerves?
Doing soso, overtrained. Hopefully not dramatically so. Hoping to recover and feel fresher by Sunday. Trying to avoid stress but work has been a pain. No race nerves, not feeling fit at all, so not feeling pressure to perform. We'll see what happens. Do you have a fall marathon?

mdsfx

Stuck to the training so I hope for a good race. My rough experience in my 22-mile run exposed some mistakes I can avoid on raceday. Am I worried? Yes. Mainly about hitting the wall again. I'm going to show up fed and hydrated with gels in hand. Not much else to do!

Doing soso, overtrained. Hopefully not dramatically so. Hoping to recover and feel fresher by Sunday. Trying to avoid stress but work has been a pain. No race nerves, not feeling fit at all, so not feeling pressure to perform. We'll see what happens. Do you have a fall marathon?

I'm sure you'll feel better by then, on both my marathons I've always felt like I was way in over my head so I think some amount of doubts is normal in these circumstances. Still, with no pressure to perform you'll be able to enjoy the race to its fullest.

I haven't looked at fall marathons, but I do have some HM and 10K planned until the end of the year. Good circuits and nice organization so they are always a pleasure to run, with the added benefit of being a useful training check.

Stuck to the training so I hope for a good race. My rough experience in my 22-mile run exposed some mistakes I can avoid on raceday. Am I worried? Yes. Mainly about hitting the wall again. I'm going to show up fed and hydrated with gels in hand. Not much else to do!

Indeed! With all the training done all that's left is a bit of relaxation before the big day. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly :)

Still, with no pressure to perform you'll be able to enjoy the race to its fullest.

Do people really enjoy racing marathons?!

If I'm fit/wake up in time I'm doing one on Sunday, but only jogging it for fun, not racing. Basically having to drive 50 miles to do a long training run then back again. Kinda seems pointless now I type that out... .hmmm.

Top Bottom