• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFs big house of Linux |OT| for gamers, ricers, newbs and greybeards - because it's free as in freedom!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That is a shame, hopefully they ditch Clevo someday.

I have a StarLabs Starbook and they use their own custom hardware(ditched clevo a few years ago) but if System76 had a 100% open source firmware I might go with them next(or both!).

I am actually in the market for a new laptop. I haven't had to buy one for years so I am out of the loop. (edit: well, I dabbled with a Macbook a few years ago but it didn't work out well)

Is StarLabs the way to go right now? To put it into perspective - I am using a System76 from like 2017 my company bought me.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I am actually in the market for a new laptop. I haven't had to buy one for years so I am out of the loop. (edit: well, I dabbled with a Macbook a few years ago but it didn't work out well)

Is StarLabs the way to go right now? To put it into perspective - I am using a System76 from like 2017 my company bought me.
StarLabs is pretty good if you ask me, great support, but as a very small company doing their own designs it does take quite a long time for it to ship. I ordered in June last year but didn't ship till December. Supply chain issues were rampant last year though.

I went with them mainly because they were cheaper than System 76 and Purism. Plus Purism doesn't seem to have as powerful hardware as the other two.

That said I love the Starbook. Take a look into it and see if it would be a good fit for your needs. https://us.starlabs.systems/

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
StarLabs is pretty good if you ask me, great support, but as a very small company doing their own designs it does take quite a long time for it to ship. I ordered in June last year but didn't ship till December. Supply chain issues were rampant last year though.

I went with them mainly because they were cheaper than System 76 and Purism. Plus Purism doesn't seem to have as powerful hardware as the other two.

That said I love the Starbook. Take a look into it and see if it would be a good fit for your needs.

I suppose I'm not in a rush so I could wait on long fabrication and shipping times. Thanks for the advice.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That is a shame, hopefully they ditch Clevo someday.

I have a StarLabs Starbook and they use their own custom hardware(ditched clevo a few years ago) but if System76 had a 100% open source firmware I might go with them next(or both!).

You sure the Starbook isn't an OEM laptop rebranded?

If it isn't wow.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
o81xC6jtqkQMksA0sBmehmeXmGUfa80NV7lpTX_KCmg.jpg

Top Bottom