• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Jag

Also, does anyone find it bullshit that Littlefinger knew that Arya was watching him? I dunno, I mean, I know he has the be cautious, but I call bullshit. Just a feeling.

He set her up. She's clearly not as good as she thinks and he's been at this for a long time.

Ithil

I am happy about fast travel. We had literally seasons of characters walking from one place to another, it was like Uncharted 4 of tv shows.

What's weird is that Season 1 had no walking. People went from Winterfell to Kings Landing within an episode. Jon arrived at the wall within an episode. Tyrion went from Kings Landing to Winterfell to the Wall back to Kings Landing then to Vale then to his father's camp, fought a war and finally went back to Kings Landing all in one season. Lady stark was traveling between kings landing and winterfell like she had fast travel unlocked.

And then all of that changed in Season 2 and 3 where the show turned into groups of people traveling. Arya and Gendry then Arya and Hound, Jamie and Brienne then Brienne and Pod. Bran and his group of idiots. Jon Snow and Yigrette. Tyrion traveled with Varys then lord friendzone for an entire season in Season 5.

I am glad we are done with that. lets focus on character interactions between the last few remaining people. thats why people tune in to watch the show.
Tyrion did not do that. He didn't arrive at King's Landing until he was made Hand at the end of season 1. He was captured by Catelyn while travelling south from the Wall.

Also the second episode of the show was literally called The Kingsroad and had the Baratheons and Starks on the journey to King's Landing.

And on top of that, you can definitely do character building moments while traveling or while waiting for things to happen. The show used to excel at these things. I don't know how people even got to this season if they only live for fire breathing dragons and war scenes and just want shit to happen. In season 1-3 the good shit was the conversations and plot. That was the shit I want to happen.

Yep I agree. I'm one that really enjoys deliberately-paced shows so I loved that in early Thrones, but I was definitely ready for shit to start popping off this season.

rackham

People who complain about time moving faster in this show now are the worst.

Things are at the end. We don't need 5 episodes of travelling and character development anymore.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Anyone else believe when all is said and done the white walkers will win?

End of Season 8 you see a white walker Jon take the Iron throne, I'm expecting a bitter ending.
I think they will kill The Night King but at a petty heavy loss. Will barey look like a victory.

I'm gonna say, I really enjoyed Gendry in this episode. Him making a warhammer like his father was a great touch. As was his meeting with Jon.

Little does he know that his father hated Jon's father.

In the episode 6 preview, it looks like Hound is using the hammer. I really hope Gendry doesn't die because I need him to get married to Arya and rule Stormlands.

Also, Dany's entire claim to the throne is based on legitimacy. If Sam takes the book to Dragonstone, and there's more to it about Jon, then would Dany bend the knee to Jon?

I think it will be Tyrion or Varys who figures it out.

Imagine if next season, Jon returns to Dragonstone, and they all bend the knee, and Jon has a look of shock in his face - like when they declared him KITN.

Nameless

Three and only three can make it back from beyond The Wall. Who you got?

Jon, Hound, and Tormund easily.

It would be sad to see Jorah and the Brohood go, and we just got Gendry back, but I'm not nearly invested in these guys as the other three.

I loved the scene when Dany gets off Drogon and he flies off to join the other dragons in the sky. Looked straight out of a blockbuster Hollywood movie. Damn that whole scene beginning to end was probably my favorite from last night.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Things are at the end. We don't need 5 episodes of travelling and character development anymore.
With all the traveling this season, you'd have multiple seasons of just people walking around or on horses.

kAmui-

End of Season 8 you see a white walker Jon take the Iron throne, I'm expecting a bitter ending.

Here's what GRRM has said about the ending:
He's said it's going to be bitter sweet. So you're half right.

Hydrus

Yea, I've been saying this for a while. I don't think the white walkers are really evil and only around to punish mankind. I think Jon does become the new night king.

HvySky

Also, does anyone find it bullshit that Littlefinger knew that Arya was watching him? I dunno, I mean, I know he has the be cautious, but I call bullshit. Just a feeling.

I honestly just assumed him doing the rounds, talking to people, and eventually hiding that scroll, was all a ploy to trap Arya. He didn't "catch" her following him, he intended for her to the entire time.

Of course, I'd like to think Arya isn't that stupid and is playing him, too.

Any idea on what the scroll that Arya found was saying?

I zoomed and enhanced and this is what came up

don't_believe_his_lies_jpeg.jpg

Sephzilla

I don't think Jorah is making it back from the wall. He gave that "this is the last time I see her" look to Dany before he hopped on her boat

redfox088

Banned
Originally Posted by in first OT...
-This new idea floating around is very interesting. I'm seeing folks say what if the White Walker threat was resolved this season, and dwindles the Dany/Jon forces to the point that the Cercei/Euron actually has the upper hand in season 8? The political conflicts is the crux of the show and the series should end with Human/Human as the core plot element. 80% of the series has been about the Great Game. It should end on that note. And it would be an excusable reason to allow cersei and Jaime to persist to the end instead of "Muh Plot Armuh".
Despite it being pure conjecture I'll be sticking to this theory for now. The developments of last nights episode only make it more plausible.

-This new idea floating around is very interesting. I'm seeing folks say what if the White Walker threat was resolved this season, and dwindles the Dany/Jon forces to the point that the Cercei/Euron actually has the upper hand in season 8? The political conflicts is the crux of the show and the series should end with Human/Human as the core plot element. 80% of the series has been about the Great Game. It should end on that note. And it would be an excusable reason to allow cersei and Jaime to persist to the end instead of "Muh Plot Armuh".
Despite it being pure conjecture I'll be sticking to this theory for now. The developments of last nights episode only make it more plausible.
The WW threat ending on 2 episodes would be one of the worst things I've ever heard for this show

rackham

I think Littlefinger is setting something up so he can try and turn Arya and Sansa against each other but I think Arya will just end up killing Littlefinger with Bran's input

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow. Did prior seasons hit OT2 during its run as well? Never recall that happening this fast or at all?

FeD.nL

It would be sad to see Jorah and the Brohood go, and we just got Gendry back, but I'm not nearly invested in these guys as the other three.

No way Jorah dies. There is bound to be some payoff between Sam fixing his dragonscale and Sam going to find out Jon is a Targ and telling Jon/Dany.

The other 3 though, probably. Though a Gendry/Arya reunion might also be in the cards.

Goodstyle

Continuing:

It is silly. It's another contrived stall tactic by the writers to justify Cersei's continued existence.

It's ridiculous on so many levels. What changed between last episode and now? Dany was literally just complaining that Cersei was winning the war and that she needed to start conquering with her Dragons. She just had a major victory too. Usually you don't give your enemy tons of time to reconsolidate. Was it Bran's letter that changed Dany's mind? Why does his word mean more than Jon's? Tyrion would know that Cersei would never seriously consider honoring a truce on top of all of that.

Not to mention that the plan is really stupid and unnecessarily dangerous in general. They're sending an extremely small force North to capture a White Walker. So that they can show it to Cersei and...have a proper truce? Really? I thought during the episode while the plan was vague that they were meaning taking a Lannister rep on a dragon ride North to see for themselves, but that would make way too much more sense. Plus Jon has SEEN the White Walker army. There's usually no stragglers. How the hell are the gonna walk up to the horde and drag one away?

I don't even think they brought Dragonglass weapon with them.

What's the alternative? Fight Cersei and the dead at the same time? Devastate the South and then hope they can beat the Walkers? It's not a great plan, but it's the only plan. They either somehow get the South's support or they all die, it's simple as that.

OrionX

Those are definitely the three I want to survive the most. Jon and the Hound are locks for sure, and Tormund still needs to win Brienne's heart. I'd like to see Gendry reunite with Arya, but I'm not optimistic about his chances at all.

Plum

So how did the Baratheons, the Lannisters and hundreds of soldiers get from Kings Landing to Winterfell in the span of one episode? Did they use teleporting horses? Ned gets a letter then, a few scenes later, Bran sees that they're there already. It's ridiculous!

I don't think Jorah is making it back from the wall. He gave that "this is the last time I see her" look to Dany before he hopped on her boat

I like his character, but him becoming the undead proof they need would be an honorable death, and it would absolutely galvanize Dany towards the Night King threat the rest of the way.

duckroll

Erm, how is it plausible. 7 guys are going to capture a wight. They're not going to beat the Night King.

kaskade

While I definitely like more game of thrones it’s pretty awesome having a breakneck pace of seven episodes this season. Especially when I come from twin peaks which will have 2 characters staring at each other for 5 minutes.

Teletraan1

When you only have 7 episode seasons complaining that they cut out 3 episodes worth of character building 7 seasons in seems like the go to internet reaction. It's just the usual noise from the "Bad pacing" brigade that shows up in every single OT for every single show that has ever aired an episode. I dare anyone to find an OT that doesn't have someone complain about pacing even when it isn't even really a problem. It has been more jarring this season because they usually would weave in tangential story bits with characters either in a far off place or on their way somewhere but most of the pieces are in place and we know all the characters and they really don't have time to waste if they want to finish the overall story. They still have a few of these tangential story bits, just not enough to cover all of the travel that these characters have to do.

In an ideal world every season would have been 13 episodes if they really wanted to try and cover everything in the books(guess what, the pacing would have been worse but at least try and cover all the source material). Oh and the books would have been finished in this ideal world as well.

NYR

WTF? It's an obvious shift of the structure of the show and stands out like a sore thumb, poeple are totally within their right to discuss and complain about it, it's a jarring change.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
No way Jorah dies. There is bound to be some payoff between Sam fixing his dragonscale and Sam going to find out Jon is a Targ and telling Jon/Dany.

The other 3 though, probably. Though a Gendry/Arya reunion might also be in the cards.
How did I miss Job being a Targ? When did it say who his mom was? I remember the child birth scene but nothing specific about her heritage.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
As someone that binged seasons 1-6 in a month, I do miss the traveling. Made the world seem a lot bigger and made for plenty of character development time. But I understand what needs to happen now.

Also I don't know how you guys managed to wait like months for anyone to get from A to B.

Plum

While I definitely like more game of thrones it’s pretty awesome having a breakneck pace of seven episodes this season. Especially when I come from twin peaks which will have 2 characters staring at each other for 5 minutes.

Twin Peaks and GoT air in the UK the other way around. Going from one to the other these past two Sundays has been jarring as hell.

Top Bottom