• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Hydrus

If there is anyone who might make it to the spin-off it's Melisandre since it's almost guaranteed to be a prequel she could play her normal self, instead of the
year old she is right now.

Of course depending on when it's set. If it's thousands of years in the past, then obviously not.

None of the cast outside of her would make sense unless it takes place within the same current timeline.

Yea. It still makes me mad that Martin doesn't want them to do Roberts Rebellion. That would be the perfect series to come next. Would still be able to see a few characters comeback.

Yea. It still makes me mad that Martin doesn't want them to do Roberts Rebellion. That would be the perfect series to come next. Would still be able to see a few characters comeback.

I'm okay with them not doing Roberts Rebellion since we know quite a bit about it compared to other time periods and story lines. Plus, I don't see them doing any timeline without any supernatural elements and Roberts Rebellion had none.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm okay with them not doing Roberts Rebellion since we know quite a bit about it compared to other time periods and story lines. Plus, I don't see them doing any timeline without any supernatural elements and Roberts Rebellion had none.

Roberts Rebellion would have been great for 2018. Oh well, Hindsight is 20/20.

Hydrus

TBH, I think Roberts Rebellion would make a great movie. Wish they would pursue it. Would of been perfect to release in 2018 since no GoT and help set up the last season.

RDreamer

Re-watched S1 Episode 5 a day earlier than normal since I'll be busy tomorrow. Good episode. I still say the scene between Robert and Cersei in that episode is one of the best of the entire series. Robert overall was just such a well acted character.

The fight between Jaime and Eddard was pretty well done and it was kinda cool that they did nerdy Barriston "Who's the better fighter?" talk in the same episode just before it.

I also really like how well this season teaches the watcher the lore. It's brilliantly done, really. The sigil stuff with Luwin teaching Brann was good.

Hydrus

Re-watched S1 Episode 5 a day earlier than normal since I'll be busy tomorrow. Good episode. I still say the scene between Robert and Cersei in that episode is one of the best of the entire series. Robert overall was just such a well acted character.

The fight between Jaime and Eddard was pretty well done and it was kinda cool that they did nerdy Barriston "Who's the better fighter?" talk in the same episode just before it.

I also really like how well this season teaches the watcher the lore. It's brilliantly done, really. The sigil stuff with Luwin teaching Brann was good.

That scene with Robert/ Cersie was basically made up on the spot, or so I heard. They needed more scenes to fill a 1 hour episode and they were all out of budget, so they just started filming conversations like that. Pretty amazing if true!! I need to find the source on that.

Itd be a good setting for a GoT video game.

This would be amazing! But I still want a movie cause I want to see more of Young Ned Stark and Lyanna's actors. They were great.

nubbe

giphy.gif

WaffleTaco

TBH, I think Roberts Rebellion would make a great movie. Wish they would pursue it. Would of been perfect to release in 2018 since no GoT and help set up the last season.
Too many moving parts and a movie wouldn’t do it justice.

Hydrus

Day 42 without GoT:

Basically the whole cast is being spotted all over Belfast today. Lots of people on twitter having no clue that filming is going to begin and shocked to see them lol. Might run into someone if your in the area. Today's EP of the rewatch is EP5: The Wolf and the Lion. I just got home, will order a pizza, and begin the watch! Also here's a video below of Liam talking about when he thinks S8 will drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5heOotlSDg&feature=youtu.be

Hydrus

Day 43 without GoT:

Game revealed EP 7 is out today. This is the last one. The cast is everywhere now in Belfast, but apparently aren't allowed to take photos with fans. So if you see them, it's best not to ask.

Also watched EP5 yesterday. Definitely the episode that was the turning point and made GoT is what it is. One thing that completely went over my head was Varys secret conversation with that guy who gave Dany to Drogo. They were the ones orchestrating the plan to bring Viserys to Westros and make him King. Dany was literally nothing to them. Nice seeing these little things.

WaffleTaco

Day 43 without GoT:

Game revealed EP 7 is out today. This is the last one. The cast is everywhere now in Belfast, but apparently aren't allowed to take photos with fans. So if you see them, it's best not to ask.

Also watched EP5 yesterday. Definitely the episode that was the turning point and made GoT is what it is. One thing that completely went over my head was Varys secret conversation with that guy who gave Dany to Drogo. They were the ones orchestrating the plan to bring Viserys to Westros and make him King. Dany was literally nothing to them. Nice seeing these little things.
The fact that they thought Viserys would be better than Robert =p

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The fact that they thought Viserys would be better than Robert =p

Dany even called Varys out on this bullshit. For the good of the realm my ass. Seriously, if he was so concerned about the little people, what exactly was he thinking when he got the "wolf and the lion" to be at each other's throats? Tywin allowed the Mountain and a division of Lannister forces to absolutely go nuts by raping, pillaging, and looting the Riverlands. I also find it hard to believe that Varys didn't know who was responsible for killing the old Hand of the King.

WaffleTaco

Dany even called Varys out on this bullshit. For the good of the realm my ass. Seriously, if he was so concerned about the little people, what exactly was he thinking when he got the "wolf and the lion" to be at each other's throats? Tywin allowed the Mountain and a division of Lannister forces to absolutely go nuts by raping, pillaging, and looting the Riverlands. I also find it hard to believe that Varys didn't know who was responsible for killing the old Hand of the King.

Personally, and I know this is no book discussion, but I am pretty sure it was before D&D had finalized the plots and which ones they wanted to do from the books.

I was going to reply to you before but decided against it since you're still relatively new to the show and thought you'd eventually put more pieces together...so if you want to let that happen, then don't read my lengthy reply below.

Personally, and I know this is no book discussion, but I am pretty sure it was before D&D had finalized the plots and which ones they wanted to do from the books.

Wait up a second here, are we watching the same show?

Varys was always pro Dany and always pro Ned.

Varys never did anything to pin the Starks against the Lannisters, or cause the "wolf and the lion" to be at each others throats. During that conversation when Arya is chasing cats, Illyrio says, "one hand died, why not the other?" to which Varys replies and says "This hand is not like the other". Varys had nothing but respect for Ned. He'd often secretly talk to Ned in the cells, bring him wine, water and of course his reaction to when Joffrey called for his head implied that he really didn't want it to happen.

Also, the assassination attempt on Dany was Varys covering his own ass. He sent the order because he had to, but also sent word to Jorah to look out for poisoned wine, you think Jorah figured that out himself? Of course not, he even got the letter in that same episode. She was never at risk.

And they were always plotting to put Dany on the throne, They even say. Khal Drogo won't make his move until his son is born. Illyrio and Varys are the one's who set up Dany with Drogo with each other.

Finally, if he didn't know about LF being involved in the death of Jon Arryn, then it was because it was LF, almost his equal. But he probably did know, but to what benefit would revealing that information be? The plan was always getting the Lannisters and Baratheons out of power. His death worked in their favor, only that it all happened too soon, and Illyrio even says so.

Varys was always for the realm.

EDIT: Didn't want to double post, but wanted to share this.

Heshinsi

I was going to reply to you before but decided against it since you're still relatively new to the show and thought you'd eventually put more pieces together...so if you want to let that happen, then don't read my lengthy reply below.

Wait up a second here, are we watching the same show?

Varys was always pro Dany and always pro Ned.

Varys never did anything to pin the Starks against the Lannisters, or cause the "wolf and the lion" to be at each others throats. During that conversation when Arya is chasing cats, Illyrio says, "one hand died, why not the other?" to which Varys replies and says "This hand is not like the other". Varys had nothing but respect for Ned. He'd often secretly talk to Ned in the cells, bring him wine, water and of course his reaction to when Joffrey called for his head implied that he really didn't want it to happen.

Also, the assassination attempt on Dany was Varys covering his own ass. He sent the order because he had to, but also sent word to Jorah to look out for poisoned wine, you think Jorah figured that out himself? Of course not, he even got the letter in that same episode. She was never at risk.

And they were always plotting to put Dany on the throne, They even say. Khal Drogo won't make his move until his son is born. Illyrio and Varys are the one's who set up Dany with Drogo with each other.

Finally, if he didn't know about LF being involved in the death of Jon Arryn, then it was because it was LF, almost his equal. But he probably did know, but to what benefit would revealing that information be? The plan was always getting the Lannisters and Baratheons out of power. His death worked in their favor, only that it all happened too soon, and Illyrio even says so.

Varys was always for the realm.

EDIT: Didn't want to double post, but wanted to share this.

Wait, he sounded giddy in that cavern when he was mentioning to the guy that the Lannisters and the Starks were fighting. He also wasn't always Team Dany, as evidenced when Dany calls him out on putting the hit out on her. He tells her that she wasn't someone he knew all that well, and Visarys was the one they were trying to get on the throne. Hence why Dany asked him if he knew what kind of person her brother was. I don't understand how he could be for the people, but then work to destabilise Robert's regime. Thousands of innocent lives were going to be lost for what? To get Visarys on the throne? Seems a bit stupid to me. I get him being on Team Dany once the shit hits the fan and Joff and the Lannisters are in power, but before that, he's acting like an agent of chaos.

Wait, he sounded giddy in that cavern when he was mentioning to the guy that the Lannisters and the Starks were fighting. He also wasn't always Team Dany, as evidenced when Dany calls him out on putting the hit out on her. He tells her that she wasn't someone he knew all that well, and Visarys was the one they were trying to get on the throne. Hence why Dany asked him if he knew what kind of person her brother was. I don't understand how he could be for the people, but then work to destabilise Robert's regime. Thousands of innocent lives were going to be lost for what? To get Visarys on the throne? Seems a bit stupid to me. I get him being on Team Dany once the shit hits the fan and Joff and the Lannisters are in power, but before that, he's acting like an agent of chaos.

Varys knew that Robert was a shit ruler and that The Lannisters were primed to take over anyways. Power was going to change hands, Varys was trying to manipulate when and to who.

He does not sound giddy at all. and he never says anything about wanting Visarys on the throne, it's what Dany assumes, at no point in the show does Varys even imply that he wants Visarys on the throne. The proof we do have, is that he set up Dany with Drogo, and that he's been nothing but supportive of Dany.

He was never an agent of chaos, they even mention needing more time below the red keep. They weren't expecting Jon Arryn to die...that coupled with what Jest Chillin says below, and it's obvious it was a long term plan. He even tells Dany that Robert had no interested in being king. Dany was on a power trip the whole first half of season 7, the way she spoke to Varys, the way she treated Jon....she refused to listen and kept assuming and demanding, that changed as the season went on.

Varys knew that Robert was a shit ruler and that The Lannisters were primed to take over anyways. Power was going to change hands, Varys was trying to manipulate when and to who.

WaffleTaco

He does not sound giddy at all. and he never says anything about wanting Visarys on the throne, it's what Dany assumes, at no point in the show does Varys even imply that he wants Visarys on the throne. The proof we do have, is that he set up Dany with Drogo, and that he's been nothing but supportive of Dany.

He was never an agent of chaos, they even mention needing more time below the red keep. They weren't expecting Jon Arryn to die...that coupled with what Jest Chillin says below, and it's obvious it was a long term plan. He even tells Dany that Robert had no interested in being king. Dany was on a power trip the whole first half of season 7, the way she spoke to Varys, the way she treated Jon....she refused to listen and kept assuming and demanding, that changed as the season went on.

He never states that he did not want Viserys on the throne. He and Illyrio only planned for Dany to marry Drogo in order for Viserys to have an army. Why would Illyrio or Varys even think of putting Dany (an inexperienced (teenage?) girl) with a war-lord for a husband. And considering he was going to have a Dothraki army commanded by Khal Drogo, it is likely that it would it would have resulted in the sacking of King's Landing at the very least with many people dying throughout the land due to war. War is chaos and Varys is an agent of chaos.

Hydrus

Day 45 without GoT:
4f53060250d01d81408f7c4fd202f8d4--game-of-trones-game-of-thrones-funny.jpg

Fun little story: Some guy was standing behind Emilia Clarke at a coffee shop in Belfast. She accidentally stepped on his foot and felt really bad, so she paid for his coffee.

Surfinn

Day 45 without GoT:
4f53060250d01d81408f7c4fd202f8d4--game-of-trones-game-of-thrones-funny.jpg

Fun little story: Some guy was standing behind Emilia Clarke at a coffee shop in Belfast. She accidentally stepped on his foot and felt really bad, so she paid for his coffee.

Lol nice.

And that Twitter.. well that got creepy fast

WaffleTaco

She got married off when she didn't want to, early on she's completely docile and does whatever she is told to do.

Being married off when you do not want to, does not mean someone is easy to manipulate. And doing what she is told to do now means someone is easy to manipulate? You want to provide some receipts for your post?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Being married off when you do not want to, does not mean someone is easy to manipulate. And doing what she is told to do now means someone is easy to manipulate? You want to provide some receipts for your post?

Do X Dany

Ok

My receipts: I watched the show.

Einchy

. . . if you can't back up your statement why even bother stating it??

My statement that Dany, early on, just went along with everything she was told to do needs to be backed up? Next you're going to tell me to backup my statement that this show has dragons.

WaffleTaco

My statement that Dany, early on, just went along with everything she was told to do needs to be backed up? Next you're going to tell me to backup my statement that this show has dragons.

Yes . . you are going to have to backup your statement with actual knowledge if you are going to claim something. Why is that so hard to believe and why is that so much to ask?

Einchy

Yes . . you are going to have to backup your statement with actual knowledge if you are going to claim something. Why is that so hard to believe and why is that so much to ask?

Because it's really odd that someone would claim that Dany wasn't that early on in season 1. Her whole character arc in season 1 was her not being a docile little girl who would let her brother push her around and becoming a queen in her own right.

I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with that.

WaffleTaco

Because it's really odd that someone would claim that Dany wasn't that early on in season 1. Her whole character arc in season 1 was her not being a docile little girl who would let her brother push her around and becoming a queen in her own right.

I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with that.

Being pushed around does not mean easy to manipulate though. It's the difference between being scared of the consequences if you do not do something, rather than doing them because you wanted to and thought you wanted to but actually someone convinced you to do it.

Einchy

Being pushed around does not mean easy to manipulate though. It's the difference between being scared of the consequences if you do not do something, rather than doing them because you wanted to and thought you wanted to but actually someone convinced you to do it.

In the context of Valar Morghulis, he was talking about using her and getting her to do something. At this point you're just splitting hairs.

WaffleTaco

In the context of Valar Morghulis, he was talking about using her and getting her to do something. At this point you're just splitting hairs.

No, I am using the English language lol! And how did they use Dany in the show? They sold her off like a horse. That is not manipulating. They did not give her a choice and subtly insert why she should marry Drogo. She was forced to marry him.

Einchy

No, I am using the English language lol! And how did they use Dany in the show? They sold her off like a horse. That is not manipulating. They did not give her a choice and subtly insert why she should marry Drogo. She was forced to marry him.

So she is someone who can be pushed around to do whatever the pusher wants and won't fight back or do anything. In the context of what Valar Morghulis was saying, this is someone who can be used to further plots since they are easy to manipulate or push around or forced, call it what you want. Splitting hairs.

Heshinsi

Easy to manipulate is such a weird term to use for someone who is being forced to do things at the point of being threatened with violence. Her brother point blank tells her that he'd let Khal Drogo, the Khal's entire khalasar, and all his horses fuck her, if it meant he got what he wanted. This is the fuck head Varys and Illaryio bet on to replace Robert. That's not manipulation, that's using force, threats, and power to make someone do what you want.

ma·nip·u·la·tion
məˌnipyəˈlāSHən/
noun
the action of manipulating something in a skillful manner.
"the format allows fast picture manipulation"
the action of manipulating someone in a clever or unscrupulous way.
"there was no deliberate manipulation of visitors' emotions"

Tell me how what Visarys does to Dany falls into any of these?

There isn't anything 'skillful', 'clever', and/or 'unscrupulous about', "hey sis, you're going to do what I tell you to do, or you're going to awake the dragon and I will then have to beat your ass."

Psychological manipulation.

Punishment: includes nagging, yelling, the silent treatment, intimidation, threats, swearing, emotional blackmail, the guilt trip, sulking, crying, and playing the victim.

Traumatic one-trial learning: using verbal abuse, explosive anger, or other intimidating behavior to establish dominance or superiority; even one incident of such behavior can condition or train victims to avoid upsetting, confronting or contradicting the manipulator.

Heshinsi

His shit was a lot more physical than it was psychological. It wasn't until she hit him back, that he whimpered off like a little bitch. Everything was physical with this guy. He threatens to have her raped, he grabs her by the throat and demands to know why his army was made to stop, he hits her after she invites him to dinner and presents him with a hand made dothraki attire, and finally he places the tip of his sword on her belly and threatens to kill her and her unborn child. Visarys couldn't manipulate a class of preschoolers let alone anyone else.

Top Bottom