• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Day 46 without GoT:
https://i.imgur.com/zs6VeVb.mp4

Cast is EVERYWHERE now in Belfast. People can't stop running into them. Brans actor left Belfast and went back to school. Kinda weird.

Hahaha love it.

Nice, less Bran makes me happy. Summer and Hodor deserved so much better, Actually Tonks and Rickon were fucked over by Bran's suggesting they seek shelter at "who rules the north" dude's place.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hahaha love it.

Nice, less Bran makes me happy. Summer and Hodor deserved so much better, Actually Tonks and Rickon were fucked over by Bran's suggesting they seek shelter at "who rules the north" dude's place.

I seriously they are already done with filming Bran scenes lol. This guy has a more important role than just simply dying on the first episode.

I seriously they are already done with filming Bran scenes lol. This guy has a more important role than just simply dying on the first episode.

They don't film by episode. They film by location. And considering that they've got a handful of episodes to do the War with the White Walkers as well as Dany/Jon v. Cersei, there presumably would be more to film with the cast whose characters aren't confined to a wheelchair.

Issac has said before that he would go to school in one or two week bursts during filming, and said it felt weird when they were filming season 5 and he was at school for the whole term without interruptions.

He's not done, he probably went there for the table reads and minor prepping and now is back to school until they're ready to film some scenes with him.

Hydrus

Day 47 without GoT:
https://giant.gfycat.com/ConventionalPrestigiousBorer.mp4

Emilia Clarke left Belfast and is in London. Same Day she left, Lena headey arrived. Tension between the queens?! Just kidding. Kinda odd someone as important as Lena wasn't part of the read thru. Also with Emilia and Isaac leaving I wonder if it means those two won't be filming anytime soon. Maybe they're gonna start filming the big battles first? Would be fun to be an extra on that.

Surfinn

Day 47 without GoT:
https://giant.gfycat.com/ConventionalPrestigiousBorer.mp4

Emilia Clarke left Belfast and is in London. Same Day she left, Lena headey arrived. Tension between the queens?! Just kidding. Kinda odd someone as important as Lena wasn't part of the read thru. Also with Emilia and Isaac leaving I wonder if it means those two won't be filming anytime soon. Maybe they're gonna start filming the big battles first? Would be fun to be an extra on that.

Lol poor, poor Jorah

Friggz

My wife and I spent the last 4 weeks marathoning all of GoT. We had started season 1 a few years ago but never got into it, and after some convincing from friends and family, We decided to give it another try seeing as we were running low on shows to watch.....

And holy shit what a ride the last month has been. Ive been going wild with fan theories the last 2 days. And cant wait to see how this all wraps up.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ireland can get hurricanes?
My wife and I spent the last 4 weeks marathoning all of GoT. We had started season 1 a few years ago but never got into it, and after some convincing from friends and family, We decided to give it another try seeing as we were running low on shows to watch.....

And holy shit what a ride the last month has been. Ive been going wild with fan theories the last 2 days. And cant wait to see how this all wraps up.

ONE OF US

Now your watch begins.

Hydrus

Welcome. Now you see why I post in this thread everyday. I binged watched this show last year after never watching it before and I've been hooked ever since. Kind of glad I started it so late because I don't think I would of survived every year with this show not on the air. Lol.

Friggz

Welcome. Now you see why I post in this thread everyday. I binged watched this show last year after never watching it before and I've been hooked ever since. Kind of glad I started it so late because I don't think I would of survived every year with this show not on the air. Lol.

this is where im at now....im seeing that season 8 could be pushed to early 2019.....what?!

Anyway, i havent had a chance to go through this thread yet - i feel like i need 2 dedicated days for that - but are my theories allowed for discussion?

Hell yeah! Theories is all this thread is.

But if your theory is that Bran is the Night King, we have to push you out of a tower.

LOL or The Waif is wearing Arya's face.

But yes, the theories are one of the things I'll miss most, shit, ee still argue theories going back to the first season.

Hydrus

Man

At first I was like this looks kinda generic and lame

Then it really picked up after a minute or so

That was fucking incredible, lol. Bran showing up killed me dude

Lol. Yea it was pretty damn good. Anyways look what i picked up:

Hey everyone, Amazon has this deal going on on books:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1447997

I just picked this up for free:

The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0553805444/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One free physical book, plus two free audio books. Looks like I'm joining the book readers soon!

Lol. Yea it was pretty damn good. Anyways look what i picked up:

One free physical book, plus two free audio books. Looks like I'm joining the book readers soon!

Ordered the same book. Thanks so much for the heads up!

Didn't think it would work since Canada always get the shaft but it did using .com, just had to pay for shipping and import fees, came to $9.

Hopefully they honor it!

Hydrus

Ordered the same book. Thanks so much for the heads up!

Didn't think it would work since Canada always get the shaft but it did using .com, just had to pay for shipping and import fees, came to $9.

Hopefully they honor it!

Nice! That wario64 dude on twitter is a beast! Always get the best deals because of him. I was trying to get the boxset, but it wouldn't work. Used the two free credits on the first two audio books ( A game of thrones and a clash of kings). Will make for a good listen on the drive to work everyday.

Hydrus

Day 49 without GoT:

jyujj6d6hxnz.png

So the Stark girl ( Sophie Turner ) is marrying the Jonas brother. Another GoT wedding.

Today is EP6 of the rewatch: EP6 A golden crown. Will watch in a bit, and post thought afterwards.

Enjoy the books, but don't hate the show too much after you are done haha

I'm trying my hardest to hold off on the books until after S8 is done. I made it this far, might as well wait. Dont want anything to F up the show for me. These free book deals aren't helping.

Hydrus

Day 50 without GoT:
85437062.jpg

Some good and bad news today. First the bad: Roy Dotrice has died. He did the audiobooks. Talk about timing, I just got the audiobooks too :( He was also supposed to play Grand Maester Pycelle.

Now the good: Marc Rissmann has been cast as most likely the leader of the Golden Army.

I missed my rewatch yesterday. Will watch EP6 tonight.

You just started watching. I think you can manage to hold out, lol.

Lol. But the wait is still too hard!

poppabk

Day 50 without GoT:
85437062.jpg

Some good and bad news today. First the bad: Roy Dotrice has died. He did the audiobooks. Talk about timing, I just got the audiobooks too :( He was also supposed to play Grand Maester Pycelle.

Now the good: Marc Rissmann has been cast as most likely the leader of the Golden Army.

I missed my rewatch yesterday. Will watch EP6 tonight.
Lol. But the wait is still too hard!
That sucks, I am working my way through the audiobooks right now and it will be weird when the as yet unfinished books are narrated by someone else. Although to be fair his character voices have changed a lot over time.

Surfinn

Hey

Is the biggest character fuck up in the show Arya not (essentially) immediately killing Joff, Cersei and Tywin with her three lives? Had she not gone for the letter and just did what she was supposed to, she wouldn't have had to waste one too.

Rewatching

Hey

Is the biggest character fuck up in the show Arya not (essentially) immediately killing Joff, Cersei and Tywin with her three lives? Had she not gone for the letter and just did what she was supposed to, she wouldn't have had to waste one too.

Rewatching

Not killing Tywin was her fuck up.

Her first kill wasn't, Jaqen was wearing a red cloak, she probably had to see if she could trust him and test the waters before naming someone substantial such as Tywin. Naming Cersei or Joffrey wouldn't work either, forgetting that they're big, risky names, they could have died and she would never know it was him since it could take months or years for Jaqen to get to them and kill them.

The second kill was out of pure desperation because of the letter.

Third should have been Tywin, but it was too late, her fault for waiting, so it was the guards so they could escape instead.

Surfinn

Not killing Tywin was her fuck up.

Her first kill wasn't, Jaqen was wearing a red cloak, she probably had to see if she could trust him and test the waters before naming someone substantial such as Tywin. Naming Cersei or Joffrey wouldn't work either, forgetting that they're big, risky names, they could have died and she would never know it was him since it could take months or years for Jaqen to get to them and kill them.

The second kill was out of pure desperation because of the letter.

Third should have been Tywin, but it was too late, her fault for waiting, so it was the guards so they could escape instead.

I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense, though. She's risking her life regardless if she's asking for the death of the tickler or Tywin Lannister himself. Had he not been truthful, she would have died regardless. And I don't think it makes much sense for Arya to have saved him, then all the sudden he offers this elaborate offer to her, just for him to kill some nobody.. for fun I guess? She poses no threat to him or the Lannisters. And she already knows he's doing what he's doing to survive.. as she is.

And again, not sure I'm in agreement there. She never hints that she doesn't choose Joff, Cercei or Tywin because they're too far away? Unless I missed something. Even having the CHANCE of them being killed eventually is well worth the attempt.

She should have jumped at the chance to kill somebody high profile right away, as her first kill. At the very least. The only excuse I can understand is that she's young and wanted immediate revenge for all the horrible things the tickler did to the prisoners.

But to be given three kills and have none of them be big names.. that seems like a horrible fuck up to me.

I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense, though. She's risking her life regardless if she's asking for the death of the tickler or Tywin Lannister himself. Had he not been truthful, she would have died regardless. And I don't think it makes much sense for Arya to have saved him, then all the sudden he offers this elaborate offer to her, just for him to kill some nobody.. for fun I guess? She poses no threat to him or the Lannisters. And she already knows he's doing what he's doing to survive.. as she is.

And again, not sure I'm in agreement there. She never hints that she doesn't choose Joff, Cercei or Tywin because they're too far away? Unless I missed something. Even having the CHANCE of them being killed eventually is well worth the attempt.

She should have jumped at the chance to kill somebody high profile right away, as her first kill. At the very least. The only excuse I can understand is that she's young and wanted immediate revenge for all the horrible things the tickler did to the prisoners.

But to be given three kills and have none of them be big names.. that seems like a horrible fuck up to me.

Just because those names were on her list doesn't mean a thing. Her goal first and foremost was to escape and return to her family. None of those deaths would have helped her. They may have even caused more harm considering an assassination attempt on Bran was considered to be sent forth from the Lannisters, an assassination of a Lannister would have been seen as a retaliation, Sansa was still under their custody for all Arya knew and would have put her at greater risk.

The first kill was testing the waters, simple as that. The tickler is a grunt, no one would care if he died, and calling her out for requesting his murder would have probably been laughed at by those in power. But calling her out for requesting Tywin's death, that would cause a lot of issues. Plus, there would be huge problems if Tywin was murdered. Just like you say why would Jaqen come forth with the offer, why should Arya trust the offer. Especially if hes draped on Lannister gear. She even calls him out on that. Remember, she's still a kid at this point, without much in the way of experience in anything really.

But, to answer your other question Jaqen tells her, she saved 3 lives, now the God demands 3 lives in return, this is a recurring theme throughout her arc. She saved 3, she has 3 to give if she chooses.

Of course it's not perfect, but it didn't play out as a massive plot fuck up by the writers.

Surfinn

Just because those names were on her list doesn't mean a thing. Her goal first and foremost was to escape and return to her family. None of those deaths would have helped her. They may have even caused more harm considering an assassination attempt on Bran was considered to be sent forth from the Lannisters, a assassination of a Lannister would have been seen as a retaliation, Sansa was still under their custody for all Arya knew and would have put her at greater risk.

The first kill was testing the waters, simple as that. The tickler is a grunt, no one would care if he died, there would be huge problems if Tywin was murdered. Just like you say why would Jaqen come forth with the offer, why should Arya trust the offer. Especially if hes draped on Lannister gear. She even calls him out on that.

But, to answer your other question Jaqen tells her, she saved 3 lives, now the God demands 3 lives in return, this is a recurring theme throughout her arc. She saved 3, she has 3 to give if she chooses.

Of course it's not perfect, but it didn't play out as a massive plot fuck up by the writers.

I think you're really over complicating Arya's inner workings, in that context, and giving her far too much credit. She simply wanted revenge and we have no evidence, that I'm aware of, that she gave the first two kills a whole lot of thought. The first, the tickler, seems to be more a reactionary response than a contemplative one, and this fits with her character, especially in that moment where she's still figuring shit out and how to deal with the new world she's been thrown into.

She's not even thinking about escaping until the final kill(s) (the only one, I'd argue, that is contemplative at all). The second kill was a fuck up on her part by trying to do too much too fast.

In short, I think she messed up a LOT. I'm not saying this is a problem with the writing; it's not. It does fit with her character but it's a monumental fuck up on Arya's part to not walk out of there with at least one major kill.

Though it's hard to fault her a whole lot I suppose, because like I said, she's still very young and new to surviving on her own, let alone understanding how the game is played.

Hydrus

I think you're really over complicating Arya's inner workings, in that context, and giving her far too much credit. She simply wanted revenge and we have no evidence, that I'm aware of, that she gave the first two kills a whole lot of thought. The first, the tickler, seems to be more a reactionary response than a contemplative one, and this fits with her character, especially in that moment where she's still figuring shit out and how to deal with the new world she's been thrown into.

She's not even thinking about escaping until the final kill(s) (the only one, I'd argue, that is contemplative at all). The second kill was a fuck up on her part by trying to do too much too fast.

In short, I think she messed up a LOT. I'm not saying this is a problem with the writing; it's not. It does fit with her character but it's a monumental fuck up on Arya's part to not walk out of there with at least one major kill.

Though it's hard to fault her a whole lot I suppose, because like I said, she's still very young and new to surviving on her own, let alone understanding how the game is played.

Yeah, you're right, it's a character fuck up. I was under the impression you wrote a plot or writing fuck up and tried to explain why I felt her actions were the way they were. Her lack of rational is the best explanation. Either way, had I not misread your original post, which seems to happen to me all the damn time, I wouldn't have gone to such lengths to try to explain why I felt these things happened the way they did because you simplified it yourself, reactionary.

Hydrus

Day 53 without GoT:

BlxZK18CYAADHaI.jpg

Filming was supposed to start today. Looks like it's been delayed because of the storm. Seems like all the actors left Belfast and have not returned. An even longer wait for Season 8 :(

Surfinn

Day 53 without GoT:

BlxZK18CYAADHaI.jpg

Filming was supposed to start today. Looks like it's been delayed because of the storm. Seems like all the actors left Belfast and have not returned. An even longer wait for Season 8 :(

Oh man, lol.

Poor freaking Jorah I feel so bad for him

The friend zone is strong with this one

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Jorah is a creep who continues to love Khalessi despite her completely stating that she is not interested.

Hydrus

Jorah is a creep who continues to love Khalessi despite her completely stating that she is not interested.

I'm not gonna lie, I've gotten tired of Jorah. Kind of wish they would of killed him off last season. He was great the first few seasons. Now he's just kind of pathetic lol.

Hydrus

Holy shit!! We back!! I got a lot of catching up to do! I will get back on track a little later! The long wait for Thrones continues!! Looks like most people here aren't banned either! Lets keep this place going.

Hydrus

Day 55 without GoT:

Day 56 without GoT:

Day 57 without GoT:
aWqWRKx_700b.jpg

Day 58 without GoT:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back!!! I really thought it was the end there for a minute. Felt weird the past few days and not posting here. Even though this thread isn't too active, I still enjoy the small group of people who post here. Now back to business. Filming officially started Monday in Belfast. Also don't forget season 7 bluray comes out on December 12. Lastly, a day late, but Happy Birthday to my celeb crush and my opinion the most beautiful woman in the world * Blushes *

Happy Birthday Emilia Clarke!

And no I'm not sorry about all the images.

Top Bottom