• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming soundtracks you dig

I've never played the game before in any of its incarnations but have spun the soundtrack so much that is it were a tape it would've popped:

Absolutely awesome compositions and so much variety yet it all sounds cohesive. Whats your pick?

DonF

Nier Automata's OST is also top tier.

I actually sometimes listen to tracks of Hotline Miami.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Nier Automata is my favorite. The Nier and Nier Automata Orchestral Arrangement albums just released in Japan today. My copies will be here Friday :D

I'm also a big fan of the Final Fantasy piano collections.

Dargor

I dunno if this song was made for the game or whatever, but I listen to it till this day. Such a beautiful voice and that sexy sax, breathtaking.

I love Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack. Genesis had such amazing sound, I prefer it more and more as time goes on.

---
And of course can't go without mentioning Halo and the amazing Marty O'Donnell. Love this vid of Steve Vai and the sound crew jamming out magic...

It's hard for me to tire of this:

or this:

Just for starters. So many great gaming soundtracks over the years. A special shout out to Room of Angel from the Silent Hill 4 ost as well.

phenomenal in its murky purple depths

And I can think of no others song that fit so harmoniously with its game than this :

Of course it wasn't created for Bayonetta, but I thought it was beautifully inserted (no pun intended :messenger_winking:) here.

Stuart360

As a 40yo who has been gaming since the Atari 2600 days, just way too many soundtracks to say lol.
Halo 1 soundtrack blew me away, well that game full stop blew me away at the time. I always had a soft spot for Sol Feace on the SegaCD though -

And of course, Silpheed -

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yap. Like everyone said, These two have godly OST.
maxresdefault.jpg

600x600bf.jpg

I also like:

octopath-traveler-original-soundtrack-560773.1.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-2-original-soundtrack-556269.2.jpg

gravity-daze-2-original-soundtrack-507339.2.jpg

latest

7f126dd141ea8b468f00dfc603f2a4e1_1920_KR.jpg

latest

klosos

I listen to the Planescape torment OST. It as some eerily beautiful songs.

The Bloodborne soundtrack is amazing aswell.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Let’s be honest no one is bumping any of these soundtracks in the streets so I’m gonna have to go with whatever playlist NBA, or the next racing game offers.

Enzo88

Trying to go outside of the classic, big names, recently i really liked Hollow Knight and The Messenger`s Osts.

Vlaphor

The Katamari Damacy soundtracks are amazing

BFG Division is easily my favorite track from the new Doom

Terminator for the Sega CD has a really good soundtrack, composed by Tommy Tallarico

Jae Mara

Furi

Cant remember how many times I have listened to it. Danger, Toxic Avenger, Carpenter Brut amongst many others, all in this original soundtrack.

Aricer

Neo Member
Ys VIII.

Posting more might be considered spoilers, so I'm going with just three. It's a shame this series isn't more widely known.

Final Fantasy XIV's soundtrack is incredible and ever growing. It's really impressive how the composer has managed to maintain a level of quality throughout the years.

Ozrimandias

The OST of Nier Automata its awesome...speaking of Nier, whats the difference of Replicant and Gestalt? Two different games?

petran79

Banned
Only independent soundtrack I listened was Jazz Jackrabbit, Crusader no Regret, Bad Mojo and Ecstatica 1

Ys VIII.
Posting more might be considered spoilers, so I'm going with just three. It's a shame this series isn't more widely known.

Υs OP FMV with vocals are one of the best.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Bully.

It's one of my all-time favourite games for a number of reasons, the OST definitely being one. I'm terrible at describing music, but the draw for me is the mischievous schoolyard tone blended with a small town, mysterious-goings-on vibe.

Song below is more "schoolyards of the wild west", but it's a killer track.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

I haven't read through the thread so sorry if some of these have been mentioned but for me the one soundtrack that truly captures the feel of the game and the mood is the original Metal Gear Solid OST.

It isn't bombastic, it isn't filled with orchestral choirs or anything like that... its very subdued... but its absolutely perfect and when Gregson-Williams took over, it lost a lot of subtlety replaced with Hollywood blase.

Honourable mentioned to FFXV soundtrack where the track Hellfire actually got me to put the game back on and finish it after abandoning it for a year.

Also, as obvious as it is, FFVI and FFVII are some of the most amazing songs I have ever heard.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are really going to post about soundtracks and leave out VVVVVV? Really?

sublimit

Banned
All Ar Tonelico games
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy VII - XIV
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
The Last Guardian
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Fragile Dreams
The Last Story
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Twilight Princess
Wild Arms
Journey
Ni no kuni 1-2
Valkyria Chronicles
Mirror's Edge
Uncharted 1-3
Witcher 1-3
Nier Gestalt
Nier Automata
Tomb Raider (1996) 1 - 5
Silent Hill 1-4
Onimusha 1,2,4
Chaos Legion
All Yakuza games
All Armored Core games
TES Oblivion

...and tons more :)

Aricer

Neo Member
Xenoblade Chronicles X

...and tons more :)

Xenoblade X definitely has a dividing OST, but it's definitely great to me aside from 1-2 songs.

Only independent soundtrack I listened was Jazz Jackrabbit, Crusader no Regret, Bad Mojo and Ecstatica 1

Υs OP FMV with vocals are one of the best.

Have not actually played Celceta (or any other Ys game actually), but Ancient Land is great from what I've heard.

I'd play more but it seems like the others don't really have a focus on story?

Nymphae

Banned
Olli Olli
Hotline Miami
Shatter
Echochrome
Everyday Shooter

Also, I really love the menu music in Spider-Man, it is ridiculously chill. The audio in that game is great, but the music overall needs more personality, more impact.

ROMhack

Oh cool this my jam. I recently started making playlists of indie game music for my own amusement. Here's the first:

Top 5
Hollow Knight
Dustforce
FTL
Celeste
Crypt of the Necromancer

Honorable mentions
Cave Story
Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery
VVVVVV
Hotline Miami
Transistor

Jigsaah

Nier Automata's OST is also top tier.

I actually sometimes listen to tracks of Hotline Miami.

This.

Nier: Automata is by far the best soundtrack I've ever heard in gaming.
Halo is an obvious one
Destiny 1 and 2 had moments that gave me chills as well.

molasar

Banned
Killer Instinct, Killer Instinct 2/Gold, Killer Cuts
Metal Gear Solid 1-2
Hotline Miami 1 + 2
Stealth Inc. 1 + 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Alien Trilogy
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Return of Double Dragon
Golden Axe 1-3
Street Fighter Alpha 1-3
Street Fighter 3 Trilogy
Earthworm Jim 1-2
Streets of Rage 1-3
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (Amiga)
Mortal Kombat 1+2 + Amiga versions
Syndicate (2012)
Resident Evil 1-4
Last Ninja 1-3 (C64)
Flashback (Amiga)
Platoon (C64)
Alien Breed 1-2 (Amiga)
International Karate 1-2 (C64)
Barbarian (C64)
Die Hard Trilogy
Paprium
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
Rastan
Double Dragon 2

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Bugger I forgot about old games.. definitely agree on Outrun and Double Dragon - but what about Super Hang-On? Winning Run is such an epic tune!

I still haven't played the new Nier but the first games soundtrack blew me away.

Other then that I'm a sucker for nostalgia to my school years playing on PS1

Ff7 and 8, breath of fire 3, metal gear, resident evil all take me back.

TacosNSalsa

While I don't think I can say entire soundtracks , just single tracks, I find most things from Jesper Kyd to be amazing:

Darksiders 2

Borderlands 2

Don't think this is in a game but still this guy is a fracking genius

Mr Branding

Huge audiophile here.
Among a few of the best I can name:
- Nier/Nier Automata
- Okami
- Shadow of the colossus
- Muramasa
- Hotline Miami
- Oblivion/Skyrim
- Ys games
- Eternal Sonata
- Folklore
- Soulcalibur III
- Red Dead Redemption
- GTA 4
- Valkyrie Profile 2
- Rayman Origins

Pallas

Chaos Legion

Honestly an underrated game that had one of the best OST’s I’ve listened to in my life.

Top Bottom