• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Hits 1 Million Units Sold and Shoots to #1 on Xbox Live

mood

dyls said:
Neither part of this makes any sense. But who cares, it's a hit, and deserves to be. I just can't believe we haven't seen any 'shipped vs. sold' comments yet.

Im interpreting the second part of that quote that it is the fastest selling new IP on Xbox. i guess more than Halo: CE

Also, the quote says 85% (850k) of Gears owners have played on Live, so this is sold to gamers, not shipped.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
NSMB, FFXII, and Pokayman D/P sold over a million in their first week. Seems rather strange...

GhaleonEB

jetjevons said:
Can someone please find the Gears sales prediction thread and start handing out some much deserved crow.

K thx bye
Which one?

Top 10 Best Selling Games this Fall (USA)

Gears of War demand is high: second only to Halo2?

Which Game will sell more units Gears of War or Zelda?

Gears Ban Bets Galore!!

Featuring:

DenogginizerOS said:
November NPD: 500K or greater

This will be the top selling game on X360 without a doubt.

I wonder if Gears will top FFXII's second week of release?

Bud said:
No way will the number be 500k or higher.

I'm willing to bet a week long ban on this.

Among others!

youreonnotice.gif

I knew bookmarking those threads would come in handy!

ethelred

Oblivion said:
NSMB, FFXII, and Pokayman D/P sold over a million in their first week. Seems rather strange...

It's not a matter of strangeness -- the press release is just completely inaccurate, that's all.

DSN2K

not much crow will be served after most were predicting US sales and as they say its 1m worldwide so sales in US must be around 700K+.

RaijinFY

ethelred said:
It's not a matter of strangeness -- the press release is just completely inaccurate, that's all.

They basically dont care of what happens in Japan...
Anyway, if with a game like Gears of War and other games good titles, Microsoft cant move more than 500k in this month, well heh...

ethelred

RaijinFY said:
Anyway, if with a game like Gears of War and other games good titles, Microsoft cant move more than 500k in this month, well heh...

The PR is still wrong.

Saying it's the fastest selling title worldwide is not correct when someplace in the world several games sold more faster.

Proelite

RaijinFY said:

I'll bet a week long ban on it that M$ won't move more that 400k this November.

ethelred said:
Yes, but they said "worldwide."

Japan is, last I checked, in the "world."

Nah, Microsoft's just chopping more sections of the planet off to suit them. Their 'worldwide launch' of the 360 last year didn't include Australia, New Zealand and such, but they still claim a worldwide launch.

fse

Infernal Monkey said:
Nah, Microsoft's just chopping more sections of the planet off to suit them. Their 'worldwide launch' of the 360 last year didn't include Australia, New Zealand and such, but they still claim a worldwide launch.

at least they launched in europe :)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
"fastest selling original game"

does that mean Halo 2 doesn't count because its a "sequel" rather than an "original game"?

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Gears of War Hits 1 Million Units Sold and Shoots to #1 on Xbox Live

More than 85 Percent of Players Connect to Xbox Live, Driving New Gold Memberships by 50 Percent

As “Gears of War” continues to emerge throughout the world ahead of the holiday sales rush, the Xbox 360 juggernaut has sold an impressive 1 million copies world-wide in just its first two weeks of release—elevating the game to the fastest-selling title of 2006 and fastest-selling original Xbox game of all time.

The battle continues to rage on Xbox Live as well, as more than 850,000 unique gamers have engaged in 10 million gameplay sessions while unlocking an impressive 7 million Achievements. On top of being the #1 title on Xbox Live, “Gears of War” has also driven new members to the network, as paid registrations per day have skyrocketed more than 50 percent since the game’s launch.

Propelling its rise to popularity, Gears of War has been crowned the best next generation game of the year by over 45 publications, earning a 95 percent average review score as tracked by www.gamerankings.com. Critics everywhere overwhelmingly agree and have united to make “Gears of War” one of the best-reviewed games of all time.

“From the very beginning, we knew ‘Gears of War’ would be an industry-defining hit,” said Shane Kim, corporate vice president at Microsoft Game Studios. “As we watched both the game and its hype grow, it became obvious that ‘Gears of War’ was the rare title that could live up to such incredible anticipation, and judging from the reaction of critics and fans, it’s done just that.”
This is a great news, well deserved.
But I think Zelda has an average score of 96.5 so its higher than Gears.
Maybe Microsoft just talked about next gen titles not new gen or old gen titles :lol

Gears of War trilogy confirmed?

Source: A GameDaily interview with Jeff Bell, Microsoft's corporate vice president of global marketing.

What we heard: Though it might not be Halo 3, there's little question that Gears of War is a monster hit for the Xbox 360. Less than two weeks after its release, the game surpassed Halo 2 as the most-played title on Xbox Live. It has topped charts in the UK, and was second only to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on Bestbuy.com's sales rankings for the week of November 13-19. As of November 21, two weeks after its release, over 1 million units of the game had sold worldwide.

In addition to its popular success, Gears of War is also arguably the best-reviewed game of the year. Besides earning a 9.6 from GameSpot--tying the Xbox 360 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion as the highest-rated game of 2006--Epic Games' shooter enjoys a sparkling 95 metascore on Metacritic, which averages dozens of game-review Web sites' ratings.

Given Gears of War's ability to tickle critics and mint money, a sequel is a near-certainty. However, the GameDaily interview with Bell appears to reveal Microsoft has even grander plans for the game. When outlining his company's holiday ad blitz, the marketing guru gushed about Gears' burgeoning popularity. "Gears of War is a popular culture phenomenon in the making," he said, referencing a semi-controversial television advertisement. "The goal of this ad is to establish Marcus Fenix as the hero of the Gears of War trilogy. The intention is to create emotional connection with him that is lacking in typical third-person action title marketing." (Emphasis added.)

The official story: Microsoft representatives had not responded to requests for comment as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: Looking not bogus. Though it might be a ways off--the original took over two years to develop--Gears of War 2 is pretty much a lock, particularly given its (SPOILER ALERT) cliffhanger ending (END SPOILER). As for a third, Bell appear to unofficially confirm comments made by Epic's meteoric lead designer Cliff Bleszinski, who has said on numerous occasions he wants to make Gears a trilogy along the lines of Halo. Now, it would appear Microsoft does too.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...d=25165887&sid=6162208&tag=latestnews;title;0

Cubsfan23

Banned
brocke said:
nothing. that's an element in the increased sales of gears of war soo fast. there just weren't enough mass market appealing games before gears came along for the 360.

yet the 360 has the highest software rate........

LJ11

Cliffy stated that he created GoW with a trilogy in mind during a 1up video interview.

Edit: I'm not sure if it was on the 1up show or the DVD included in the CE.

Resident Guru said:
I think you're confusing Gears with Resistance my friend.

bitch_slap.jpg

Fredrik

Wow that was fast. Well deserved though. I finished the game on hardcore on sunday, without a doubt one of the best 3D action games I've ever played. Looks phenomenal on my SDTV too. Thanks Epic!

clashfan

Why are some people on this board so unhappy that alot of people like GoW? What's wrong with people having fun with the console they own. Fanboy antics are really getting old.

brocke said:
nah they both fit in the same category. the other fps's on 360 were not targeted at the mass market. too many overly tactical shooters.

Other FPSs? Please don't tell me that after all this time there are still people who're mistaking Gears for a first person shooter. =/

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Well-deserved and totally expected... thumbs up to Epic!!! :D

Only crazy, crazy people would bet against Gears being this successful - those crazy people know who they are too!

davepoobond said:
"fastest selling original game"

does that mean Halo 2 doesn't count because its a "sequel" rather than an "original game"?

Yes, considering how much Halo 2 sold in the first weekend...

GhaleonEB

Prine said:
i'll take it.

3 month ban. lets do this
So, he's betting under 400k, you're betting over 400k?

November NPD gets more and more interesting every day!
thekad said:
Was Proelite's bet for real?
It was, until he realized the degree to which he was being laughed at. But I'd say it's too late at that point - best to do some research beforehand!

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Nice. Great for MS. Hopefully with all this extra money, they'll go and buy DoubleFine productions to compliment Rare....

:D One can only dream....

sangreal

Karma Kramer said:
Gears of War trilogy confirmed?

Source: A GameDaily interview with Jeff Bell, Microsoft's corporate vice president of global marketing.

What we heard: Though it might not be Halo 3, there's little question that Gears of War is a monster hit for the Xbox 360. Less than two weeks after its release, the game surpassed Halo 2 as the most-played title on Xbox Live. It has topped charts in the UK, and was second only to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on Bestbuy.com's sales rankings for the week of November 13-19. As of November 21, two weeks after its release, over 1 million units of the game had sold worldwide.

In addition to its popular success, Gears of War is also arguably the best-reviewed game of the year. Besides earning a 9.6 from GameSpot--tying the Xbox 360 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion as the highest-rated game of 2006--Epic Games' shooter enjoys a sparkling 95 metascore on Metacritic, which averages dozens of game-review Web sites' ratings.

Given Gears of War's ability to tickle critics and mint money, a sequel is a near-certainty. However, the GameDaily interview with Bell appears to reveal Microsoft has even grander plans for the game. When outlining his company's holiday ad blitz, the marketing guru gushed about Gears' burgeoning popularity. "Gears of War is a popular culture phenomenon in the making," he said, referencing a semi-controversial television advertisement. "The goal of this ad is to establish Marcus Fenix as the hero of the Gears of War trilogy. The intention is to create emotional connection with him that is lacking in typical third-person action title marketing." (Emphasis added.)

The official story: Microsoft representatives had not responded to requests for comment as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: Looking not bogus. Though it might be a ways off--the original took over two years to develop--Gears of War 2 is pretty much a lock, particularly given its (SPOILER ALERT) cliffhanger ending (END SPOILER). As for a third, Bell appear to unofficially confirm comments made by Epic's meteoric lead designer Cliff Bleszinski, who has said on numerous occasions he wants to make Gears a trilogy along the lines of Halo. Now, it would appear Microsoft does too.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...d=25165887&sid=6162208&tag=latestnews;title;0

Looking? Mark Rein pretty much confirmed it himself on the official forums:

Gears is a trilogy? If we can keep making quality games that fans obviously love (see big announcement coming shortly) then why would we have to stop at three? I don't see the Metal Gear Solid, Mario, Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy series (among others) stopping at three and they're still delivering compelling entertainment content that's easily worth the money (see Unreal Tournament as well). There's definitely, as many of you have pointed out, a lot more to learn about what's really happening on the plant Sera and in the lives of the members of Delta Squad

In the mean time we're working hard to support Gears of War (the first one ) and come up with some great enhancements you'll hopefully see before too long. We're not ready to provide any details yet but I assure you we're on the job.

You never know how well your game is going to be received by the fans and media until it actually goes on sale and reviewers actually get their hand on a finished product. With the kind of hype Gears had going into launch there is always a huge risk of backlash if you don't deliver. We (Epic) tried very hard not to fuel the hype. Hype is created and perpetuated by extreme fan and media interest which was created by great showings of the game in the past. I think we did a commendable job keeping information about the single player game out of the limelight so as not to pour gasoline on the flames already burning. We could have released a lot more information and content than we did but we held back trying to make sure there were things you didn't know about before the game shipped. So if Gears had flopped there wouldn't be a Gears 2 so we don't feel there is a need to commit to more titles before we know how the last one did. But we've always said this game is part of a bigger story and if this one did well then the story would unfold in another one. Let's wait and see how the next one does before we start predicting third please! In the mean time there are still more things we want to do with this game so stay tuned!
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=24699609#post24699609

GhaleonEB

Top Bottom