• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Hits 1 Million Units Sold and Shoots to #1 on Xbox Live

pr0cs

great news for a great game, I'm counting on Epic now showing the publishers/developers how to create top-notch addons for their game to keep it hot on gamers list. (ala free patches and upgrades to the game's multiplayer).

Speevy

Banned
If this doesn't bode well for at least something that could be called "healthy" 360 hardware sales, I don't know what to say anymore.

I knew Gears would hit a million though, just like Zelda will.

Wait a minute I thought Viva Pinata was going to be the biggest game this holiday for Microsoft?

Consider Gears of War pwned in two days when Microsoft announces the new fastest selling original ip for the Xbox brand. :D

Proelite

GhaleonEB said:
So, he's betting under 400k, you're betting over 400k?

November NPD gets more and more interesting every day!

It was, until he realized the degree to which he was being laughed at. But I'd say it's too late at that point - best to do some research beforehand!

Hey, I said that I will bet a ban. Therefore, it's understandable that I was planning an action in the future. Therefore, it's not too late. :)

I forgot November was Holiday season and not the regular 200k-300k monthes.

Speevy

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Awesome. Gears (and Pinata) deserves to sell big.

I think Gears will have to sell for both of them. Viva Pinata (I suspect) might be the poorest selling 360 game yet.

GhaleonEB

Proelite said:
Hey, I said that I will bet a ban. Therefore, it's understandable that I was planning an action in the future. Therefore, it's not too late. :)

I forgot November was Holiday season and not the regular 200k-300k monthes.
Proelite said:
I'll bet a week long ban on it that M$ won't move more that 400k this November.
So it depends on the definition of what "I'll bet" is, is it? :lol :)

jedimike

Speevy said:
I think Gears will have to sell for both of them. Viva Pinata (I suspect) might be the poorest selling 360 game yet.

I don't want to derail the Gears celebration, but my local GameCrazy didn't order ANY copies of Viva and didn't plan on getting any even though several customers had asked for it.

It'll be nice to see Gears at 1,000,000 + for the Nov. NPD, but Viva will be lucky to see a 1/10th of that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It`s not surprising that Gears is selling so damn well. The game is so good, it basically destroys every single other game on the system. If it didn`t sell well, I would`ve given up on the gaming community.

Good to hear that Gears is selling so well, though I'm not at all surprised. The game deserves it's success. Bring on the (free I hope) DLC!

I hope Viva sells better than so many in here are fearing, I love the game. It's doing pretty well among GAFers after all :lol

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Gears is an incredible accomplishment. A brand new IP that lived up to all the massive hype and then some. It's so easily the GOTY it's not even funny. One of the best games I've ever played... and I'll be playing for months and months to come on multiplayer and random co-op games. Imagine if this game bombed, I mean quality wise not sales... 360 would be dead if Gears sucked. Everything hinged on this game for MS, imo, and Epic delivered. It'd just be another Halo box with similar success to Xbox 1 without this game.

Sean

Banned
This is great news for MS, 360, Epic, and GoW fans. Gears of War 2 for 2008 please...

Speevy said:

When I looked at the XBL leaderboards for Viva Pinata the lowest scored person on my friends list was 11,000 something... so it sold at least that much. I hope it's not the poorest selling 360 game but I have a feeling it will be.

GhaleonEB

Sean said:
This is great news for MS, 360, Epic, and GoW fans. Gears of War 2 for 2008 please...

When I looked at the XBL leaderboards for Viva Pinata the lowest scored person on my friends list was 11,000 something... so it sold at least that much. I hope it's not the poorest selling 360 game but I have a feeling it will be.
Ridge Racer 6 debuted with 9k sold in November. So if Viva has sold 11k it won't have the smallest debut. Still, it does seem like well below 100k it its fate, at least initially.

This is certainly good news for MS.

However, I thought they would make some game announcements around the time of the PS3 and Wii launches in an effort to take a little steam out of them.

GhaleonEB said:
Ridge Racer 6 debuted with 9k sold in November. So if Viva has sold 11k it won't have the smallest debut. Still, it does seem like well below 100k it its fate, at least initially.

It needs to be bundled with the system at some point (at least at Toys r Us), and then the word of mouth campaign shall spread........

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
This is certainly good news for MS.

However, I thought they would make some game announcements around the time of the PS3 and Wii launches in an effort to take a little steam out of them.

There could be something tommorrow...

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB

Karma Kramer said:
There could be something tommorrow...
I'm sure they'll issue some kind of PR. I've been wondering about any kind of announcements...will be interesting to see.

Edit: well, tomorrow is when the movies and TV go up on Marketplace. Maybe they'll announce pricing! :lol

TheProfessor said:
Wow, did it knock out halo2 for 1st spot on live?
Yup, first time since Halo 2 came out.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
Seeing a kick ass game exceed hype, and then sell like it should is awesome.

Gaming ROCKS. Be happy to be a gamer now. And next year is lining up to be the best year in gaming ever.

Hehe called this one almost exact - obviously wait till NPD is in but...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?do=showpost&p=4745481

I'll say around 800k.

600k >>>> Gears <<<< 1 million

There is still a week of November to go, and it looks like Gears must be at around 850k in NA if we subtract 150k for Europe; it's quite possible that it might actually break 1 million in the November NPD. :lol

:lol November NPD : Coming to a Cinema near you... :lol

Prine

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
So, he's betting under 400k, you're betting over 400k?

November NPD gets more and more interesting every day!

It was, until he realized the degree to which he was being laughed at. But I'd say it's too late at that point - best to do some research beforehand!

My bet is > 400k :)

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
God this game rules, not only is it the best looking games ever but its actually bloody fun. I hope it really rivals halo sales, though that is probably harder than richard simmons kissing Mr T.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Barry Lightning said:
i mean, it's a no-brainer but does the world really need 2 more gears of war games?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25165887&sid=6162208

hopefully by the time GOW2 rolls around, MS will have some other hits on their console aside from marines in suits with guns shooting aliens. know what i'm saying? nadayadadameen?

The world didnt need 10 different zelda games either, so excuse me if i dont share your already short attention span when it comes to gears of war and these "aliens".

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I knew this one was gonna be big.

Two of my friends bought 360s in the past week just to play it.

TeTr1C

Shig said:
I knew this one was gonna be big.

Two of my friends bought 360s in the past week just to play it.

Two of my friends bought 360s just to play it too.

Congrats CliffyB and Epic!

andthebeatgoeson

I'll go ahead and start eating crow:
At least for now and in NA, it'll beat Zelda. I don't think Nintendo can push 1 million units, even before the end of 2006. Of course, I'll still bet on Zelda for the longterm and worldwide. But if that initial sell thru is anything, GOW will keep trucking. Everybody is talking about it. Hell, I want to play it. MS, drop the price, you douches.

jimbo

Banned
Speevy said:

Well I helped the cause and bought Viva this past Sunday. The game is crack on a disc. Stopped me from playing both GOW and PSU for a couple of days now.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
skinnyrattler said:
I'll go ahead and start eating crow:
At least for now and in NA, it'll beat Zelda. I don't think Nintendo can push 1 million units, even before the end of 2006. Of course, I'll still bet on Zelda for the longterm and worldwide. But if that initial sell thru is anything, GOW will keep trucking. Everybody is talking about it. Hell, I want to play it. MS, drop the price, you douches.
I think Zelda will still outdo it... Should sell it to around 70% of Wii purchasers, which will be in the neighborhood of 2-3m. So that puts it the Wii version at ~1.4 mil at the low estimate, plus we'll probably see an additional 300-500k for the GC version. Should be near or above 2 mil, all told. I'm sure GoW will have legs, but it's not often that a game can double its initial sales in the month after release.

Top Bottom