• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Hits 1 Million Units Sold and Shoots to #1 on Xbox Live

jimbo said:
Can't all 3 just be GOTY? The only thing that should stop you from playing all 3 is money, or lack-of.

What I find funny is that he came into a Gears of War thread to say Zelda and FFXII are his GOTYs.

"I know all of you guys are talking about chicken and chicken is really popular, but I'm more of a fish man myself."

Going back through that thread..ah man goldenpp72 was banned! I love his avatar too. :(
Amy Rose <3

Also arguments over properly googling "Gears of War" GAF what would I do without you?

jimbo

Banned
Bud said:
I guess we'll have to wait till the npd numbers come out to be sure.

Good luck to ya. FYI, the NPD runs through Saturday, so that means Black Friday will be included. :lol

Meier said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4010535

This was the first thread I know of about Gears sales. I was one of the few believers back then in its ability to do very, very well and I still stand by that. :)

Hopefully the crow these people will be eating are from Act 2 of Gears. So much hating.

KCbandit said:
Hopefully Cliffy can tap into that Aryan pride movement he seems to be so fond of

I kEEEEEEEEEED!!!!! Somone curb stomp me, I've been bad. :)

My lord...can't believe I missed that. Really shameful.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Gears of War is a hit. For those still living in Fantasyland, it is clear that Fantasyland is the capital of the state of Denial.

MaddenNFL64

Well deserved sales. Just bought it today, and it's definately the most gorgeous game of all time. When I got to that forest area with the rain pouring... wow.

Still think Zelda will outsell this in the long run though. Short term, yeah I think it'll be the #1 game for november.

hyp

why does every mention of Gears for GOTY get the zelda fanboys in these threads? okay, i'm 10 hours into zelda and yet it still hasn't "captured" me like i thought it would. don't get me wrong, i'm loving every minute of it, it's fun as hell but there was something magical about the first 5 minutes of gears. maybe it was the new gameplay mechanics, maybe it was the overall astonishment of the environments/graphics, or maybe it was just because it was a new experience in the action genre. my excitement for zelda was with the waggle control, but it was a game that i felt i played on the N64 about 5 minutes in. apples/oranges maybe? who knows, but 10 hours into zelda, i'm still finding gears to be the better game (in my opinion). so it's got another 60 hours to change my mind. nonetheless, flame on, zelda boys.

raYne

hyp said:
why does every mention of Gears for GOTY get the zelda fanboys in these threads? okay, i'm 10 hours into zelda and yet it still hasn't "captured" me like i thought it would. don't get me wrong, i'm loving every minute of it, it's fun as hell but there was there was something magical about the first 5 minutes of gears. maybe it was the new gameplay mechanics, maybe it was the overall astonishment of the environments/graphics, or maybe it was just because it was a new experience in the action genre. my excitement for zelda was with the waggle control, but it was a game that i felt i played on the N64 about 5 minutes in. apples/oranges maybe? who knows, but 10 hours into zelda, i'm still finding gears to be the better game (in my opinion). so it's got another 60 hours to change my mind. nonetheless, flame on, zelda boys.
Nooo hyp, don't do it!

*ducks and covers*

Oh good now you've done it.

But but but Zelda is such an amazing game nobody would ever want to stop playing it just to post in this thread...right?

Vangellis

hyp said:
why does every mention of Gears for GOTY get the zelda fanboys in these threads? okay, i'm 10 hours into zelda and yet it still hasn't "captured" me like i thought it would. don't get me wrong, i'm loving every minute of it, it's fun as hell but there was there was something magical about the first 5 minutes of gears. maybe it was the new gameplay mechanics, maybe it was the overall astonishment of the environments/graphics, or maybe it was just because it was a new experience in the action genre. my excitement for zelda was with the waggle control, but it was a game that i felt i played on the N64 about 5 minutes in. apples/oranges maybe? who knows, but 10 hours into zelda, i'm still finding gears to be the better game (in my opinion). so it's got another 60 hours to change my mind. nonetheless, flame on, zelda boys.

I agree, it hasnt captured me like the past Zeldas for some reason. I acually am finding it a bit boring so far, I know it has to get good. Gears grabbed me by the balls in the first 10 minutes and didnt let go. I think the shitty picture quality is throwing off my zelda expereince too... I need to get my wii off this crappy composite cable. I also felt that this Zelda would be a fresh expereince and currently its feeling a bit stale and old. I really want it to be good :(

Anyway I think gears deserves the praise its getting, and is my GOTY unless Zelda amazes me by the time Im finsihed with it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
You know, it just dawned on me how big it is to take down Halo as #1 Live game played - Halo 2 was #1 from day one, for 2 freakin' years... and Gears dethroned it...

I mean, I've said it over and over again that Gears is the most fun I've had in ANY of my online experiences since Halo 2, but Gears actually BEATING out Halo 2 never crossed my mind... wow.

GOTY. That's all I can say...

DenogginizerOS said:
Gears of War is a hit. For those still living in Fantasyland, it is clear that Fantasyland is the capital of the state of Denial.

It really hurts alot of people... I mean, deep-down-in-their-heart hurts them that Gears is that damn good... it's hilarious, really...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
hyp said:

"Boooommm!"

clashfan

Skilotonn said:
It really hurts alot of people... I mean, deep-down-in-their-heart hurts them that Gears is that damn good... it's hilarious, really...

The real question is, why does it hurt other people that Gears is a hit. If they don't have a 360 then why do they care if Gears is a hit or not?

"Your highness, there is word from the East that the Nfans are amassing troops outside of our walls!"

movie_troop.jpg

It begins.

Nutter

Its funny you guys are going "boom" "take cover" and other crap, but no one has yet to respond directly (DC) to hyp. :p
Dont do it nintendo fans, just let this one slide

Ok beyond that; Gears deserves it. I still stand behind that 1.6-1.9 million sold till the end of the year. (In the US)

raYne

Nutter said:
Its funny you guys are going "boom" "take cover" and other crap, but no one has yet to respond directly (DC) to hyp. :p
*pulls Nutter behind cover*

Dude wtf man?! You don't wait out in the open 'till shit happens!

hyp

Nutter said:
Dont do it nintendo fans, just let this one slide

Ok beyond that; Gears deserves it. I still stand behind that 1.6-1.9 million sold till the end of the year. (In the US)

:lol okay, nothing to see here people... sorry for derailing the thread.

hyp

soul creator said:
:lol at the gears gameplay references in the thread

*Nintendo fans appear out of random emergence hole*

nfan: "gears of war is only a 10 hour game!! zelda is already better because it provides 70 hours of gameplay!"

xbot: "whatever, i don't see any brain chunks when i fire a slingshot at a f*ckin' pihrana plant's forehead."

baird: "it's like two assholes on their first date."

andthebeatgoeson

Did I just read 20 posts of people waiting for flames? WTF? Are you guys dissapointed? I'm reading a lot of simulated nintendo flames but nothing real. It's sad, like your friend never came over so your just playing with yourself.

Everybody loves this game, drop the price MS.

skinnyrattler said:
Did I just read 20 posts of people waiting for flames? WTF? Are you guys dissapointed? I'm reading a lot of simulated nintendo flames but nothing real. It's sad, like your friend never came over so your just playing with yourself.

Everybody loves this game, drop the price MS.

:lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If those Wii shipment numbers are true, then it doesn't seem likely Zelda will surpass GoW sales for Nov.

You've won this round, Xbox fans..

by default :p

LukeSmith

Bud said:
These numbers might as well be shipped numbers.

Actually, for the most part Microsoft uses shipped/sold as identical language. I'd assume it's "shipped" as well. NPD will probably confirm that the game sold over a million, but at the same time, Microsoft has repeatedly told me regarding the 10M units sold by Holidays and that shipped and sold were synonyms for their messaging purposes.

It's entirely possible the game sold 1M units by that announced date, but it's also equally possible that the 1M is shipped, not sold.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Eh... why would it be shipped when it clearly says sold? The only company I know that posts figures and doesn't say what they are is Sony...

I haven't seen any MS press release that hasn't matched up to the official sales figures yet... not that I watch sales figures that much to begin with...

GhaleonEB

Skilotonn said:
Eh... why would it be shipped when it clearly says sold? The only company I know that posts figures and doesn't say what they are is Sony...

I haven't seen any MS press release that hasn't matched up to the official sales figures yet... not that I watch sales figures that much to begin with...
Microsoft Press Release said:
Since its launch on November 22, 2005, Xbox 360 has gained impressive traction fast. Xbox 360 was the fastest console to reach five million sold, and six million Xbox 360 consoles had been sold by the end of September 2006.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1106-moviestv.htm

That's the press release that went out today. Six million is how many MS has shipped, according to their financials, at the end of September.

I too think they're talking 1m sold through with Gears, since it's so specific about it and they've always used sold through for software releases (see Halo 2). But for hardware MS absolutely does use shipped = sold.

duk

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

That's the press release that went out today. Six million is how many MS has shipped, according to their financials, at the end of September.

I too think they're talking 1m sold through with Gears, since it's so specific about it and they've always used sold through for software releases (see Halo 2). But for hardware MS absolutely does use shipped = sold.

Awesome. So where is MS we at now? 7.5m+ shipped?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
GhaleonEB said:

They really have sold atleast 6 mil though... it's above 7 I think now...

GhaleonEB

duk said:
Awesome. So where is MS we at now? 7.5m+ shipped?
All they've said is, 6m at the end of September, with a target of 10m at the end of the year. I'm sure they'll hit that, it's just a question of how many they sell. I'd imagine a huge bulk of the 4m difference has already shipped, to either be on shelves for the start of the holiday shopping this weekend, or to replenish (~6 weeks from factory to store shelf, according to MS).

Top Bottom