• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Hits 1 Million Units Sold and Shoots to #1 on Xbox Live

Sean*O

They are going to sell a ton of systems and games this holiday. 360 and GOW is pretty much the #1 most wanted gift this year. 10 million+ systems sold by year end seems very possible right now, with 3 million+ GOW.

Perhaps I am being too optomistic of their chances, but that's my gut feeling.

I'm renting the game right now. The graphics are fantastic, the controls are excellent, and the gameplay works well.

Unfortunately, the game just isn't for me at all. I'm not a fan of shooters, but ones where I can take a lot of hits and just shoot like crazy, I can find some fun in it (like I can pretty much do that in Halo). In Gears of War, I have to do a lot of covering, which I don't like to do (one reason I despise most stealth games). I'm not doing too well with the game, where I'm having trouble getting past the initial mission. I definitely won't be one of those 1 million people owning the game and I feel there are better stuff to play on XBL.

Mana Knight said:
I'm renting the game right now. The graphics are fantastic, the controls are excellent, and the gameplay works well.

Unfortunately, the game just isn't for me at all. I'm not a fan of shooters, but ones where I can take a lot of hits and just shoot like crazy, I can find some fun in it (like I can pretty much do that in Halo). In Gears of War, I have to do a lot of covering, which I don't like to do (one reason I despise most stealth games). I'm not doing too well with the game, where I'm having trouble getting past the initial mission. I definitely won't be one of those 1 million people owning the game and I feel there are better stuff to play on XBL.

The game is ridiculously easy on Casual. The cool thing about the cover in Gears is you can still be shooting while using cover, either by using blind fire or by sticking your head out and aiming.

GhaleonEB

Mana Knight said:

I really suggest to put up the effor to get to the second act. The gameplay gets mixed up quite nicely from there on and is quite refreshing.

GhaleonEB

Scoot said:
Actually, for the most part Microsoft uses shipped/sold as identical language. I'd assume it's "shipped" as well. NPD will probably confirm that the game sold over a million, but at the same time, Microsoft has repeatedly told me regarding the 10M units sold by Holidays and that shipped and sold were synonyms for their messaging purposes.

It's entirely possible the game sold 1M units by that announced date, but it's also equally possible that the 1M is shipped, not sold.
I just realized something. They must be talking about sold through to consumers, because the PR specifies the following:

1) 85% of the one million users have logged onto Live
2) 850,000 unique players over Live (which is 85% of a million)

It's got to be sold through, given the players on Live.

Top Bottom