• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting high

OddSpoon

Banned
Why do I see posts on Facebook saying "High AF!" - along with the elderly saying "Oh these kids are trying... to escape reality!" (does the exact opposite for me)

It's not like that. I just started working construction, and all my coworkers smoke blunts just like a cig i.e. normal? We get high, continue what we're doing, and go on. You see in movies it's always a couple of bone heads eating potato chips on the couch, cracked over their mind.

Maybe when it becomes legal in states, people will look at it differently.

Why do I see posts on Facebook saying "High AF!" - along with the elderly saying "Oh these kids are trying... to escape reality!" (does the exact opposite for me)

It's not like that. I just started working construction, and all my coworkers smoke blunts just like a cig i.e. normal? We get high, continue what we're doing, and go on. You see in movies it's always a couple of bone heads eating potato chips on the couch, cracked over their mind.

What the fuck son.

Watch Skyfall while high.

Only way to make it through that shit?

ioiPRn8UMNDUu.gif

torontoml

So you have a bunch of guys getting high while working construction? Is that not an accident waiting to happen? I don't have a problem with people doing it but I don't think it is very responsible to use a substance that can impair you while doing things that could bring harm to another person.

you're either:

• smoking terrible shit
  • not smoking enough
  • reached that stage of "functional high" which basically negates any reason for smoking at all since it produces no real effects

i worked with a guy who smoked at least one joint before work and then ran a print press all day. he was good at his job but it seemed like the weed had zero effect on him. he just did it out of habit.

You see in movies it's always a couple of bone heads eating potato chips on the couch, cracked over their mind.

I beg to differ. Most of the movies I watch tend to convey smoking pot as a casual "so what?" activity (which it most certainly is for anyone who's done it more than a handful of times).

Shambles

You are so high right now.

Grinchy

Banned
You can tell the OP is a young stoner. I heard this type of argument many times back when I was a young stoner too. Then a little bit of perspective comes and you realize that being stoned all day long is not normal and is a clear sign that you have some problems you need to deal with.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Does it make the job easier or something? I don't really understand.
Pain.

Using a hammer 8 hours a day or carrying 50lb boxes up flights of stairs isn't painless. I still have back problems even though I haven't worked construction for about 10 years.

balddemon

Banned
i smoke at work all the time lol. i work at a gym, and my job is to sit on my ass and say hello and goodbye. so when my buddy gets off work at 9 (he has a diff job at the same place), we go take a few hits then i go back in and just chill.

you're either:

• smoking terrible shit
  • not smoking enough
  • reached that stage of "functional high" which basically negates any reason for smoking at all since it produces no real effects

i worked with a guy who smoked at least one joint before work and then ran a print press all day. he was good at his job but it seemed like the weed had zero effect on him. he just did it out of habit.

you're confusing marijuana's acute effects with its realized effects.

the "acute effects" are the silly things like giggling, tripping over, not being able to get work done. they happen to casual or first-time users.

people who smoke regularly, however, only get the realized effects(casuals get the acute and the realized but often cannot overcome the initial, acute effects), the effects that help you transcend your thinking, enjoy life, etc.

itt people confuse manual labor with operating cranes

i'd wager at least 60% of the white/black guys on a job site are in a some what altered state. it comes with the job really, though i'd imagine most on here have never done this type of work.

I would smoke daily but it would still only give me the (acute I guess) effects. I was smoking from a bong though, so I imagine blunts/joints daily are a bit easier to handle. Then again, I smoke as an escape.

strobogo

Banned
It amazes me how people that were in their 20s/30s in the 60s are so clueless about pot. I had lunch with my (step) grandma yesterday. She is in the begining stages of glaucoma. Some of her friends jokingly suggested she go to Cali and smoke it up. She wouldn't believe me that pot has actual, legitimate benefits and medical is legal in 17 states. I went over some of the things is was good for and she insisted that it couldn't be good for you, had to be bad for you, and made you see monsters. I was like..the fuck? So I threw it out that I tried it last year and the only thing it did for me was be acutely aware of how slight my body is. I didn't see monsters, I didn't get "silly", I didn't get the munchies.

She also repeatedly asked me if I got it off "the streets". You know, the mean streets of Central Indiana where people hide in alleys trying to sell pot to kids. The slightest bit of research into pot should put to rest all of the reefer madness nonsense. No matter how many times I said "doctors don't prescribe cigarettes and alcohol to people", she couldn't be convinced that pot was somehow not a hard drug on the level of heroin and meth.

I mean I did it once, waited until my mid 20s, and didn't get much out of it. I don't really have much desire to try it again, but I support legalization for medical and recreational usage. While alcohol and weed aren't the same at all, getting blazed at work should be treated the same as drinking on the job. Especially in something like construction. The fuck is that shit?

Smoked all the time working in shops. What am I supposed to start doing when I smoke weed that I wouldn't normally do? Am I supposed to suddenly think it was a good idea to put my hand in the machine while it was running? Not sure what some of you think smoking weed is like. Some of you guys act like you think that it's like being drunk or something.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Only Users Lose Drugs! ...where the fuck did I just put that...?

besada

Banned
I've reprogrammed Cisco routers, configured complex software, and written solid code while high. I don't smoke at work, but sometimes you get called at night to fix something and you're baked. One difference between weed and booze is that you're acutely aware that you're high. So I double-check all sorts of stuff when I'm high that I wouldn't if I were sober.

Top Bottom