• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giving up video gaming in favour of board gaming and more "analog" experiences?

if you like games, why not play em all
I do, and let me tell you, it is not cheap (in money or time). You'd basically have to be game obsessed (like me) to even attempt it, especially if you include miniature games. I probably spend $1,000 a month between the three hobbies. Not everybody needs (or wants) a few thousand games in their house, but even at that much per month, I'm falling behind in just about everything. Luckily, video games are shit now and kickstarters are ruining board games, so I'm okay with missing some of it.

Most people I talk to are primarily one type of gamer, like they are video gamers that dabble in the occasional board game, or board gamers that dabble in the occasional miniature game. It's extremely rare to meet someone who is in deep on two of them, much less all three. There's basically three communities I hang out at: here, BGG, and Dakka Dakka, and there's basically no overlap in the people I talk to even when talking about the same thing.

Like, they announced a Bloodborne board game going up on kickstarter soon, and that's something I could talk about in all three places - but it would be three very different conversations with three exclusive groups of people. The conversation here would be about how well it matches the video game, the BGG conversation would be about Eric Lang and CMON kickstarters, and over at Dakka Dakka, it would be about comparing scale and model quality with other 28mm miniatures.

andrespi

Gloomhaven
I was going to buy it just a few weeks ago, found the english edition in a store near my house at 160 euro, promised myself to come back in a few days to get it while thinking about it, but then the day after they announced the Italian localized version, so now I'm waiting for the italian release. I saw some playthrough on youtube, it seems amazing. but I must say it also seems very intimidating.

I'm putting a permanent "game table" in my new game room (which should be ready in a few months after I buy all the remaining furniture, shelves, table and so on) just for big games like these, so I can keep it on the table, reducing set up time (or at least that's the idea). Moving also all board games I own and videogame collection there in this new room on shelves.

Last edited:
I am in my early 30s and I am finding I am almost completely withdrawing from online interactions and hobbies. I find I am really only enjoying strictly single player games that have no online components, so a lot of older and retro games. I am doing this in my other hobbies as well. I am returning to actual books agains vs ebooks.

thequestion

I was going to buy it just a few weeks ago, found the english edition in a store near my house at 160 euro, promised myself to come back in a few days to get it while thinking about it, but then the day after they announced the Italian localized version, so now I'm waiting for the italian release. I saw some playthrough on youtube, it seems amazing. but I must say it also seems very intimidating.

I'm putting a permanent "game table" in my new game room (which should be ready in a few months after I buy all the remaining furniture, shelves, table and so on) just for big games like these, so I can keep it on the table, reducing set up time (or at least that's the idea). Moving also all board games I own and videogame collection there in this new room on shelves.

Gloomhaven is a little intimidating at the start, but the whole experience is more than worth the couple of hours it takes to learn.

It’s one of those games, though, that once it’s all set-up on your gaming table, you probably will want to keep it there, for at least the next couple of dedicated gaming sessions. It takes time to set-up, even when you know what your doing.

Also invest in a tackle box(es) for all of the pieces. I would say it’s pretty much mandatory. It also makes set-up, quicker. Trust me on this one.

Fbh

I personally prefer videogames but my brother in law is really into board gaming so I've gotten to try quite a few over the years and they can definitely be a lot of fun.

Pandemic Legacy Season 1 has probably been my favourite so far. This entire concept of a board game designed to be played as a campaign with permanent changes to the board and game mechanics was new to me and I found it really fun. We also had fun doing a bit of role playing by giving every character a backstory

Eldrich Horror is another one I find really fun. Generally I'd find it a bit too long but the whole lovecraftian setting is cool and I like how there's always a small narrative attached to what you are doing.

I also really like the shorter more party oriented stuff like Dixit, Codenames or 7 Wonders.

The ones that are about gathering resources and shit have never clicked with me and I was invited a few times to play some really long stuff like Twilight Imperium but they are just too time consuming for me, specially when there's new or inexperienced players. As I said, I still prefer videogames and even there I generally have to take a break after 2 or 3 hours so these 5 hours + board games are just too much

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
why not both? i play tactile games as well as video. last week was playing black jack and rummy. when i visit family we play pool, we play Sequence, we play Tumblin' Monkeys, etc.

if you like games, why not play em all
True you can be like me and become "The King of Games". I was asked to play Monopoly with my family having never played it before and they soon regretted it. Always bet on Boardwalk bitches!
Yours+_37744d3ef87b5da2c0fb4176b13b0657.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanrutcon

I play Kingdom Death with a regular group once a month, and boy, if you like suffering than that is the game for you. It makes Gloomhaven look positively mainstream. Highly recommended if you have friends that you want to see in pain.

thequestion

I play Kingdom Death with a regular group once a month, and boy, if you like suffering than that is the game for you. It makes Gloomhaven look positively mainstream. Highly recommended if you have friends that you want to see in pain.

That game had piqued my interest.... then I saw that price tag... yikes!
$400 plus shipping.

I've still got my 1st edition box sitting on the shelf + expansions, been meaning to get into it. We get our fair share of doom and despair from Shadows of Brimstone, but I love the art/atmosphere of Kingdom Death.

Lanrutcon

I've still got my 1st edition box sitting on the shelf + expansions, been meaning to get into it. We get our fair share of doom and despair from Shadows of Brimstone, but I love the art/atmosphere of Kingdom Death.

The earth has swallowed 2 characters from our group so far. Literally. Walk back to town from a fight, loaded with loot, flush with the satisfaction victory brings, boom. Fissure eats a party member. They are dead. Roll up a new dude though, cause there's some thing causing shit in town and you need to help resolve that little shitshow, Steve.

andrespi

Gloomhaven is a little intimidating at the start, but the whole experience is more than worth the couple of hours it takes to learn.

It’s one of those games, though, that once it’s all set-up on your gaming table, you probably will want to keep it there, for at least the next couple of dedicated gaming sessions. It takes time to set-up, even when you know what your doing.

Also invest in a tackle box(es) for all of the pieces. I would say it’s pretty much mandatory. It also makes set-up, quicker. Trust me on this one.

I got a question, since you seem well-versed on gloomhaven. So the english edition of gloomhaven has been discounted on an italian store I know (roughly 150 euro). I don't know if I should buy it. My original idea was to wait for the localized italian version in retail/italian stores which will be released by the end of this year (already announced officially), but I found out it will cost roughly 200 euro (against the 150 of english version). I don't really know what to do. So now the great doubt is: should I buy the english version now and save 50 euro (which is quite a lot), or wait for the version in my language?

The question is how much text there is? Is it heavy on text and flavour text and complicated terms in rules? I read english pretty well, and I will probably play mostly solo (I would say at 80% that I will play solo) or at most with 1 or 2 friends (if I'm lucky and manage to organize). It's still not sure if I will actually be playing with friends (especially if they want to commit to such a game), so there is a good chance I will have to play solo (I would say a very high chance).

I can read and understand english pretty well (having lived for a while in english-speaking countries), but it's still a second language for me (so let's say I have to translate in my head), so I'm worried it might complicate and make it heavier for me than it already is, since it looks like a complicated/heavy game. My friends understand some english, but it's mostly what they learned in school (so I would say lower intermediate) and I fear it might be a bit troublesome for them.

Last edited:

AaronB

I play board games with my church's men's group one night a month. We usually play a fairly heavy 1-4 hour game (like Scythe, Terraforming Mars, Architects of the West Kingdom, Rising Sun) supplemented by shorter/easier games (Roll for the Galaxy, Sushi Go!) when there's less time. I enjoy that far more than video games these days, partly because it's social, but board games are really good these days. I'd highly recommend trying them with a group (boardgamegeek forums might be a place to look).

I know many board games can be played solo, but solo doesn't really appeal to me. If I'm at home, I wouldn't want to be occupied away from my family for long, so video games where I can play in quick bursts are better. I could be interested in an online limited TCG where I could get what I want without spending too much time or money (no competing against whales).

thequestion

I got a question, since you seem well-versed on gloomhaven. So the english edition of gloomhaven has been discounted on an italian store I know (roughly 150 euro). I don't know if I should buy it. My original idea was to wait for the localized italian version in retail/italian stores which will be released by the end of this year (already announced officially), but I found out it will cost roughly 200 euro (against the 150 of english version). I don't really know what to do. So now the great doubt is: should I buy the english version now and save 50 euro (which is quite a lot), or wait for the version in my language?

The question is how much text there is? Is it heavy on text and flavour text and complicated terms in rules? I read english pretty well, and I will probably play mostly solo (I would say at 80% that I will play solo) or at most with 1 or 2 friends (if I'm lucky and manage to organize). It's still not sure if I will actually be playing with friends (especially if they want to commit to such a game), so there is a good chance I will have to play solo (I would say a very high chance).

I can read and understand english pretty well (having lived for a while in english-speaking countries), but it's still a second language for me (so let's say I have to translate in my head), so I'm worried it might complicate and make it heavier for me than it already is, since it looks like a complicated/heavy game. My friends understand some english, but it's mostly what they learned in school (so I would say lower intermediate) and I fear it might be a bit troublesome for them.

There is a lot of text and flavour text. You’ll have more fun with it, if you can read it in your native tongue.

I could go more in depth, but I don’t want to get into spoiler territory.

If it was me, I would wait for the translation.

Last edited:

andrespi

There is a lot of text and flavour text. You’ll have more fun with it, if you can read it in your native tongue.

I could go more in depth, but I don’t want to get into spoiler territory.

If it was me, I would wait for the translation.
Ok, thanks. I think I will wait then for the translation/localization. Translating everything would certainly ruin part of the fun and make it more difficult than it needs to be, especially if there are lots of texts and flavour texts.

I’ve gotten back into going to the LGS and several TCGs. We’re thinking about the new Reaident Evil Boardgame, Anger or just going for broke with Kingdome Death. I’ve personally had my eye on the Dark Souls board game.

Top Bottom