• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good shows and movies on Netflix right now

That Castlevania show is excellent, though all too brief.

Netflix is also one of the few places you can watch the first and only season of the criminally under-watched but critically-acclaimed FX show Terriers, which is fantastic.

Also, Damages is arguably the best legal drama ever to grace the medium.

RedAssedApe

Banned
all the originals:

thirteen reasons why
american vandal
dear white people
love
master of none
stranger things
hasan minaj comedy special
glow
terrace house
lovesick (aka scrotal recall)

Also, although it is not a Netflix original and you can find it elsewhere. The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story is currently on Netflix, and it is the best miniseries in recent memory.

Also, although it is not a Netflix original and you can find it elsewhere. The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story is currently on Netflix, and it is the best miniseries in recent memory.

+1. Add to this "Making a Murderer" if you haven't seen it yet. Started watching it one night out of curiosity and ended up binging it until 5am on a work night.

In no particular order:
Black Mirror
Bojack Horseman
Master of None
The Good Place (PLEASE FINISH THE SEASON!)
Glow
Dear White People

THIS. Fantastic Italian crime drama that makes The Sopranos look like an episode of Mister Rogers.

I'm in.

If you like crime dramas, definitely check out Elite Squad on Netflix. Deals with the subject of Rio de Janeiro's (Brazil) elite police squad and how they deal with criminality, and also tje politics of Brazil's criminal system and corruption.

The one on Netflix is the second one, if you enjoy it feel free to find the first movie elsewhere (original name in PT is "Tropa de Elite"). The first one deals less with the political side and more with the day to day operations of the elite police force in the slums.

Talking of crime dramas. I just saw that they added Discovery's Manhunt: Unabomber (not a documentary). It has a good cast, not as good as the OJ series by any means, but still a good series.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Stranger Things
Bojack Horseman
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Master of None
American Vandal
GLOW
Black Mirror
Castlevania
Archer
13 Reasons Why

Slacker

A couple that I think haven't been mentionied:

If you like crime documentaries, Making a Murderer, The Keepers, and The Confession Tapes are very interesting. Also American Vandal is fun too in a different way. ;)

Kimmy Schmidt is a must watch, but if you haven't seen 30 Rock hit that before it goes away soon (next month I think).

iZombie is surprisingly good and funny!

I have to thank GAF for turning me onto this great show (same goes for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend)

RedAssedApe

Banned
A couple that I think haven't been mentionied:

If you like crime documentaries, Making a Murderer, The Keepers, and The Confession Tapes are very interesting. Also American Vandal is fun too in a different way. ;)

Kimmy Schmidt is a must watch, but if you haven't seen 30 Rock hit that before it goes away soon (next month I think).

Watch making a murderer and then American vandal in succession lol

HF2014

So many great shows:

- Narcos
- Stranger Things
- House of Cards
- Bloodline
- Black Mirror
- The Fall
- The Killing
- 13 Reasons Why
- Daredevil (specialy season 1)
- Luke Cage
- Ozark

ryseing

AMERICAN VANDAL YOU BASTARD

#whodrewthedicks

What's the best young adult drama on Netflix besides gossip girl. Looking for any show recommendations like that

Have you seen Vampire Diaries? S1-3 are legit good television.

Riverdale is the other obvious choice.

Jobbs

Banned
Daredevil season 2 is amazing and the absolute height of the Netflix marvel shows.

Stranger Things was a wonderful experience.

I consider those the two most must see NF things so far

DadEggs

Archer
Stranger things
Narcos
Daredevil
Making a murderer
Dear zachery

Movies come and go too fast for me to know whags still on/off it

I did just watch Beasts of No Nation - that was pretty awesome

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Finally caught up with the end of Kimmy Schmidt

I was a big fan of the show but tbh the final season was a bit of a letdown. The finale was decent enough but it all seemed pretty unfocused. At one point Kimmy becomes a millionaire and the next episode their apartment building gets sold and they have to come up with millions of dollars, yet her millions never comes up, she tries to earn the money some other way. Just sloppy writing.

Especially Jacqueline ending up with a gay blind man. The episode where she freaks out about all the young men they are preying on and then right away she back to her slutty ways. Feel like the writers were going through a midlife crisis or something. Lot of anti-cis men stuff in the show towards the end that got annoying and the funny jokes were in fewer numbers.

Still a decent time to be had. Titus is so funny and OTT and Carol Kane always rules.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Strangers Things should be a must.
Most of the way through the second season and I'm still a bit meh. It's not bad but I put it down a while ago, it hasn't compelled me enough to keep going/binge watch like other TV shows. I like it but this one is way too over-hyped imo.

fatty

I’m looking for a new show to watch, so far I have liked:

- Narcos and Narcos:Mexico (great)
- Daredevil S1&2 (haven’t seen the 3rd season yet, favorite was the 1st)
- Ozark (really good)
- House of Cards (liked it for a while but started to get dumb, probably won’t watch last season)
- Stranger Things (good but overhyped)
- Money Heist (kept me entertained to keep watching but I don’t know if I’d recommend it)
- Bloodline (above average,liked it enough to finish the series)

Ones I didn’t care for:

-Jessica Jones
-Polar (though I like Hitman type movies)
-The Good Place

Based on my tastes, any recommendations?

I’m thinking about Mindhunter, Bodyguard, Medal of Honor or American Vandal.

Most of the way through the second season and I'm still a bit meh. It's not bad but I put it down a while ago, it hasn't compelled me enough to keep going/binge watch like other TV shows. I like it but this one is way too over-hyped imo.

I’m not as down on it as you are but I do agree it is overhyped.

Last edited:
I’m looking for a new show to watch, so far I have liked:

- Narcos and Narcos:Mexico (great)
- Daredevil S1&2 (haven’t seen the 3rd season yet, favorite was the 1st)
- Ozark (really good)
- House of Cards (liked it for a while but started to get dumb, probably won’t watch last season)
- Stranger Things (good but overhyped)
- Money Heist (kept me entertained to keep watching but I don’t know if I’d recommend it)
- Bloodline (above average,liked it enough to finish the series)

Ones I didn’t care for:

-Jessica Jones
-Polar (though I like Hitman type movies)
-The Good Place

Based on my tastes, any recommendations?

I’m not as down on it as you are but I do agree it is overhyped.
1st. Don't watch the last season of house of cards, it's absolutely garbage

2nd. I really liked the show YOU. Kind of a guilty pleasure show but got pretty good reviews too. The lead actor is pretty charming in the role.

3rd. American vandal is legit incredible!

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

If you like David Fincher then I highly recommend Mindhunters. One of the best shows on TV Period.

Bodyguard is a decentish BBC production. I'd say it's worth a watch, but I think it overplays its hand in the last episode. Still good though.

I'll second Dusktildawn48 Dusktildawn48 on American Vandal. Absolutely top notch mockumentary (both seasons). It's a real pity that Netflix didn't renew (a victim of their desire to focus on in house productions, unfortunately). But each Season is essentially its own thing, so well worth it.

As for recommendations: -

If you like a bit of Historical Drama then I'd say The Last Kingdom is worth a watch, covering the misfortunes and adventures of a fictive swordsman during the Viking invasion and occupation of England. First Season it was a pure BBC production, but Netflix came in on Season 2 and it became a joint production with a bit more money behind it (useful for the battles). Three seasons deep now with a fourth already in production. Destiny is all.

If you don't mind subtitles (or can tolerate dubbing) then I strongly recommend both Dark and 1983, which are both Netflix produced foreign Language series (German and Polish respectively) the former is an intriguing time travel mystery, the latter is a conspiratorial alternative history thriller.

Also, all of Mad Men is on Netflix and that is a really good series to get into.

Last edited:

fatty

Dusktildawn48 Dusktildawn48 and Kadayi Kadayi , thanks so much for the short reviews and recommendations. Really appreciate the time that you put into that. I don't mind subtitles at all (big fan of Hong Kong Action Cinema) so I will definitely look into all of the suggestions above. Right now I'm leaning toward watching American Vandal and The Last Kingdom first.

Thanks again, I will let you know my thoughts after I watch them.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Saw some of the newly released Arrested Development. Oof it’s pretty lame. They are really stretching both storylines and footage. The flashback stuff feels like a waste of time

There is new Arrested Development? Like 2019 new?

Yeah. I saw impressions of it in another topic here, and they were not favorable. I literally just started watching the first new ep.

It's. . .something when the first thing I notice in what is one of my favorite series is that no one looks like a person. The make-up is horrendous. I generally would not notice that, but GOD is it awful. They way they tried to de-age GM and Maeby is ridiculous. Maebe looks like a dude, and GM has the Henry Cavill "mustache" look.

I notice these things because it is just not funny - just feels like it is trying too hard

Top Bottom