• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.
500x_this_is_not_george_takei.jpg

We just asked Kazunori Yamauchi, the father of Gran Turismo, in an interview here at SEMA, the question on everyone's minds — when will GT5 finally be released? His response: "The discs are being stamped as we speak."

The picture above is Kazunori making a disc-stamping motion with his hands as he answered our query on the ever-shifting release date. We did talk about a number of different topics other than the release — and we'll have more coming shortly — but for the moment, we thought we'd at least bring you that response.

http://jalopnik.com/5679823/kazunori-the-[gt5]-discs-are-being-stamped-as-we-speak

7th November (2010) update:

mQlGt.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Which pretty much confirms a 2010 release.

* Hugs PS3 GAF *

Oh yeahhhhhhhh.

Ironically I got my Amazon email today about the "new date of December 31, 2010".
Here's hoping it comes before that placeholder.

spats

I think I'm gonna hold the champagne until I actually have the game, but this is potentially good news.

VegaShinra

Now where is Sony with an official announcement of it going gold?

Will hold excitement for an official announcement.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Does "discs being stamped" mean that it has gone gold? He could have been referring to the artwork on the disc, not necessarily the data being burned. Why wouldn't he had said the game had gone gold, or that it had finished, if that were the case?

Ploid 3.0

Raide said:
Until I see the game in my local stockist, I won't believe it. :lol

It's all some cunning ruse!

I was about to say the same thing. Whatever PD, I no longer like carrots dangling from a stick. I'll wait until the rope is cut.

REV 09

jetsetfluken said:
Oh yeahhhhhhhh.

Ironically I got my Amazon email today about the "new date of December 31, 2010".
Here's hoping it comes before that placeholder.
yea, i just read this a minute ago.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/02/retailers-gran-turismo-5-to-miss-christmas-release/

Retailers: Gran Turismo 5 to miss Christmas release

by James Ransom-Wiley on Nov 2nd 2010 1:30PM
Today was the day we were supposed to finally, maybe play Gran Turismo 5 -- not even Walmart, it seems, can get over the latest delay. A search for the game today on the retailer's site turned up an "In Stock" result (pictured above); though clicking through to the product prompted only a pre-order option.

While there remains no definitive release date for the comically-delayed sim racer, a Sony representative reiterated in a statement to Joystiq today that the publisher is "still aiming for this holiday" to launch GT5. Sony has backed up this target window by recently updating retailers, which passed the information along to their customers. Specifically, Amazon has notified GT5 pre-orderers of a "new delivery estimate based on the new release date" -- that date being December 31, 2010. (A full copy of one such email is posted after the break.)

Although there are exceptions (first-party Nintendo games tend to be released on Sundays), almost all video games are released on Tuesdays -- just like today -- in the U.S. And though Amazon appears to be acting on a date provided by the publisher, Sony confirmed December 31 is just a placeholder. "As far as the Amazon date goes," a Sony representative told us, "retailers have arbitrary dates that get listed to coincide with any given title's launch window if we haven't provided a specific date. So it's completely driven from their side [...] A placeholder if you will." Similarly, GameStop and Target now list January 1, 2011 placeholder release dates for GT5 (whereas GameFly is sticking with "TBD," for now).

Technically, you can get away with extending the holiday season into early January, and by all accounts, GT5 is still on track to meet this rather dubious date range. According to retailer expectations, however, no gamer -- big or small -- is going to be unwrapping Gran Turismo 5 from under the Christmas tree, or from any other location their loved ones might stack their presents this holiday. Unless, of course, Sony can pull off a last-minute miracle.

Raide

Big Ass Ramp said:
Does "discs being stamped" mean that it has gone gold? He could have been referring to the artwork on the disc, not necessarily the data being burned.

No, it means the Developers have copies and they are just stamping on them to tease/enrage fans.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Does "discs being stamped" mean that it has gone gold? He could have been referring to the artwork on the disc, not necessarily the data being burned. Why wouldn't he had said the game had gone gold, or that it had finished, if that were the case?

Japanese devs never (or at least I've never heard them) use the phrase "gone gold".

"Discs being stamped" 99% refers to just that - discs being burned.

Sony to unveil new technology that allows Kaz Claus to fly around the world to all good PS3 owners a copy of GT5 under their tree?

I'll leave out cookies!

tfur

Are we sure that is the "hand stamping motion" and not the "shamalan-a-dingdong twist motion?"

There better not be some crazy translation problem with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom