• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

Damn I find the old thread and it's dead!

Nice work on the OP, I always forget that GAF has an OT side - get most of my guitar kicks on other forums!

Anyways, my band is just finishing a wee tour of Scotland tomorrow (Perth), here's some gear pics:-

Main board

Source Audio board

Studio gear

Drums

Amps

Guitars n stuff

Oh crap!

I've been playing Hamer electric guitars for a little over 20 years. I hadn't bought anything recently (since like 2010), because when I find something I like and am comfortable with, I generally keep using it until there's a very good reason not to.

So, I just found out Hamer had been acquired by Fender in 2007, and closed up shop in 2013.

NEO0MJ

Sweetwater, Guitar Center, and Musician's Friend are doing BF sales. The online stuff doesn't seem too amazing but there might be something spacial hidden.

Damn I find the old thread and it's dead!

Nice work on the OP, I always forget that GAF has an OT side - get most of my guitar kicks on other forums!

Anyways, my band is just finishing a wee tour of Scotland tomorrow (Perth), here's some gear pics:-

That's cool stuff you got there. But how can you mention a band but not show us anything?

E-flux

I mainly play classical guitar, but i bought a midi guitar a month or so ago. Aside from the horrible look it's a joy to play, has anybody else had one of these?
You-Rock.jpg

Oh crap!

I've been playing Hamer electric guitars for a little over 20 years. I hadn't bought anything recently (since like 2010), because when I find something I like and am comfortable with, I generally keep using it until there's a very good reason not to.

So, I just found out Hamer had been acquired by Fender in 2007, and closed up shop in 2013.

Hamer's are awesome! I have a buddy who owns one Explorer and a 355 variant and they both play great.

Formless

Just got Bias FX from their Black Friday sale. I have a cabclone out of my Mesa Mark V 25 but this makes recording quick stuff a lot easier (Have to figure out the EQ for the former).

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Oh crap!

I'll never understand why Fender keeps buying other brands just to shutter them.

NEO0MJ

No love for the bass?

What's there talk about? How best to hide in the background and strum an unplugged instruments?

just kidding. I thought about it but I barely managed to do what I did on time and felt adding another instrument would be too much work. If you're willing to write a bit yourself I'll add it as another section.

I'll never understand why Fender keeps buying other brands just to shutter them.

Easiest way to kill potential competition?

What's there talk about? How best to hide in the background and strum an unplugged instruments?

just kidding. I thought about it but I barely managed to do what I did on time and felt adding another instrument would be too much work. If you're willing to write a bit yourself I'll add it as another section.

Hey! It's the bass that moves those hips!

Seriously though, I think it's fine to focus on the guitar in a thread like you did. It's a fine OP. And thanks for the offer, but I'm not super knowledgeable myself so I don't think I should be doing write-up. :)

Rest

I wish they'd bring back Sunn.

Me too. I've got an 80's Sunn Colliseum 300, it's super transparent if you put a passive bass through it, and gives a great clean guitar sound. I would love to see how its design would have evolved over the last 30 years.

NEO0MJ

Not sure if I should go for the EarthQuaker Afterneath reverb or the Alexander Radical Delay. I'm leaning towards the later but am worried it might be too gimmicky and am bothered by the existence of a super version, even if it's out of my price range.

Any one here has experience with them?

So any good Black Friday deals? I'm probably gonna swing by the local Guitar Center for shits & giggles. At least they're selling Ernie Ball 3-packs for $10 and guitar stands for $10. I wouldn't mind picking up a guitar on an impulse buy though.

I'm interested in the Vintage V6M24. It's basically a shredder with crazy colors. Very affordable with quality hardware. Those pickups sound insanely good. Hard to find in the US though, but I see a few here and there.

Any fellow bands with just drummer/percussion and guitar here? I'm working on making my sound bigger because so far just plugging into some random amp at jam sessions doesn't cut it anymore. We really try to get gigs in the future and the reception has been great. Now if my guitar sounded anything like it does in my head...

My gear so far (going for a mostly low and rumbling sound that still needs to have some edge to it. Nasty and fuzzy when it needs to be.)

OCD overdrive
Black Arts Toneworks Pharao
Big Muff
Ehx Memory Boy
Vox wah

What I need:

Octave pedal
A special pickup that lets me play the bottom 2 strings through a bass amp using the octave pedal.

I really want to make some noise :) Any simple octave pedals besides boss that you guys would recommend?

Rest

Any fellow bands with just drummer/percussion and guitar here? I'm working on making my sound bigger because so far just plugging into some random amp at jam sessions doesn't cut it anymore. We really try to get gigs in the future and the reception has been great. Now if my guitar sounded anything like it does in my head...

My gear so far (going for a mostly low and rumbling sound that still needs to have some edge to it. Nasty and fuzzy when it needs to be.)

OCD overdrive
Black Arts Toneworks Pharao
Big Muff
Ehx Memory Boy
Vox wah

What I need:

Octave pedal
A special pickup that lets me play the bottom 2 strings through a bass amp using the octave pedal.

I really want to make some noise :) Any simple octave pedals besides boss that you guys would recommend?

If you're looking for a bigger sound, have you tried using a doubler, or a harmonizer as a doubler?

And before you start chopping up pickups and carving holes in guitars for a crazy specialized stereo setup, have you tried conventional bi-amping? There's also stuff like this.
And if you're not afraid of carving holes in your guitar, I've long imagined routing out pickup slots sideways and putting pickups in so that one pickup picks up one string, or a humbucker picks up two strings.

Protome

Didnt see this OT until now. Great Op for sure.

I'm very much a beginner still, been learning off and on for years for various reasons but now have enough time and motivation to keep at it and am progressing quite a bit!

No pics just now but my kit is
- Faith Naked Neptune acoustic guitar. My most recent purchase, I got properly into practicing just as I started my new job so it was a treat with my first paycheck and it is loooovely.
- Fender Starcaster Strat. I've had this one kicking around for a couple of years, it's a very cheap beginner guitar but okay as beginner guitars go. Bit... Buzzy... I just restrung it for the first time and it sounds a lot nicer now.
-Orange Crush 20 amp. It was on sale when my old cheap amp died and it seemed pretty popular. I don't know much about amps.

If you're looking for a bigger sound, have you tried using a doubler, or a harmonizer as a doubler?

And before you start chopping up pickups and carving holes in guitars for a crazy specialized stereo setup, have you tried conventional bi-amping? There's also stuff like this.
And if you're not afraid of carving holes in your guitar, I've long imagined routing out pickup slots sideways and putting pickups in so that one pickup picks up one string, or a humbucker picks up two strings.

Haven't tried a doubler but I'm going for a direct and slightly gimmicky route with this thing ;) No holes needed!
http://www.submarinepickup.com/

NEO0MJ

So any good Black Friday deals? I'm probably gonna swing by the local Guitar Center for shits & giggles. At least they're selling Ernie Ball 3-packs for $10 and guitar stands for $10. I wouldn't mind picking up a guitar on an impulse buy though.

I mentioned a few places above, but at least when it comes to their pedals the prices aren't that different from their pre-BF range.

It might be OK to start with if it is set up properly. It won't take all that long for you to outstrip its capabilities.

Given the low price it probably won't be set up all that well, but I don't have any experience with Guitar Center or that brand of guitar.

If you can swing the $100-120 increase in price you should look into a guitar with a solid wood top. It is more likely to be set up well and sound nice.

zbarron

It's one of the ones I was considering when I was looking for my extremely low budget acoustic. I went with the Jasmine S-35. It's only a little more expensive but I can vouch for it's sound quality.

You will want to either set it up yourself if you are handy and not afraid of a little risk or pay a local place to have it set up. You'll also want to put some new strings on it immediately. Mine came with corroded strings and a really high action. Once I lowered the action and put new strings on it it sounds really good for the price. I've been playing it a month and it hasn't disappointed.

Sweetwater, Guitar Center, and Musician's Friend are doing BF sales. The online stuff doesn't seem too amazing but there might be something spacial hidden.

That's cool stuff you got there. But how can you mention a band but not show us anything?

Thanks!
The band material is up here on Bandcamp, 1st album is downloadable for free now and everything can be streamed, including the new EP.

https://brittleheadgirl.bandcamp.com/

Need to start doing more with my own soundcloud as well, band stuff takes ages to come to fruition!

Black Friday deals are slim pickings in the UK!! I blame Brexit!

Mr.Pig

What's the cheapest and easiest way to get yourself a guitar in Europe if you have nickel allergy? I was thinking of buying a used fender mex and change the neck for a custom with golden evo (non-nickel) frets. Refretting seems almost as expensive.

MilShap

Anybody looking for quality gig-bags, https://www.fusion-bags.com
Is having a Black Friday sale today. I have one for my electric, and I love it.

They don't seem to ship to the US anymore, but I contacted them today to ask if I could get the deals and they are sending me an invoice so it's worth a try if you are in the US.

Rest

What's the cheapest and easiest way to get yourself a guitar in Europe if you have nickel allergy? I was thinking of buying a used fender mex and change the neck for a custom with golden evo (non-nickel) frets. Refretting seems almost as expensive.
I think the cheapest way would be to try to refret it yourself, which is quite an endeavor for a non luthier. You can buy a neck from Warmoth, they'll let you pick what kind of fret wire you want, the cheapest neck I've seen from them is $160, and you'd have to add on international shipping and import fees, but from what little I've seen there aren't a lot of equivalents doing the same thing in Europe. I've heard of Hosco, but I don't know what they have or don't have.

You'd think you could just Google "guitar steel-frets" and see what major manufacturers are selling with stock steel frets, but they don't really come up.

Armadilo

Banned
It's one of the ones I was considering when I was looking for my extremely low budget acoustic. I went with the Jasmine S-35. It's only a little more expensive but I can vouch for it's sound quality.

You will want to either set it up yourself if you are handy and not afraid of a little risk or pay a local place to have it set up. You'll also want to put some new strings on it immediately. Mine came with corroded strings and a really high action. Once I lowered the action and put new strings on it it sounds really good for the price. I've been playing it a month and it hasn't disappointed.

so after you buy a guitar it needs to be set up ?

Guitars from better factories and/or dealers come set up. What constitutes a great setup is subjective but it should come with something in the ballpark of good. A cheap guitar from a chain retailer is less likely to be well set up than the same guitar from a smaller store or a more expensive guitar from the same retailer.

YMMV and price is no guarantee of anything.

NEO0MJ

Thanks!
The band material is up here on Bandcamp, 1st album is downloadable for free now and everything can be streamed, including the new EP.

https://brittleheadgirl.bandcamp.com/

Need to start doing more with my own soundcloud as well, band stuff takes ages to come to fruition!

Black Friday deals are slim pickings in the UK!! I blame Brexit!

Nice sound, though if I can be brutally honest...
the lyrics are kinda edgy ;p
. Interested to see how you develop.

And even in the US it seems most F deals are pretty meh.

Jonnax

Basically £42 odd is not a lot of money at all for a guitar and so it's a stab in the dark.
They are the kinds of things that are thrown off a factory line.

My first guitar was a £100 acoustic from Argos. The height of the strings off the frets (action) were so high that a couple of minutes of playing would entail pain. It was later that I bought a (cheaper!) nice guitar that I got into playing.

If you know a guitarist ask them to play it for a bit. They should be able to tell you whether the guitar needs a setup.

If you spend about 3x that then guitars are likely to be set up well day 1. However if you're starting out, get a good cheap guitar and see if you like learning to play.

LProtag

I've been playing for more than 10 years off and on, but I'm really shitty, haha.

I just picked up a Japanese Fender Mustang, which I've always wanted. No amp besides a crappy practice amp at the moment though. I want something that will be able to keep up with a drummer and stay clean. Fender Deluxe Reverb broke up too soon when I tried it... I might have to go find a silverface Twin, even though I don't want something that intensely loud or heavy...

Kalamari

I second the sentiments from the people above. I bought my guitar online, but now I wish I had gone to a brick and mortar store to choose my guitar. Since you have the opportunity to try a couple of different ones, you are more likely to find one that you like. If you know any more experienced guitarists, ask them to come along with you for their input. They can help point you in the right direction. Spending a little more money for a better feeling guitar means you are less likely to quit playing because your fingers hurt too much.

I did this. After me and my friends went shopping, I said lets go to guitar center. The one by their house is a lot better than the one by me, and I don't go there often. Found an epiphone gothic explorer in the used area and bought it. Paid $308 after tax, which isn't too bad. I've been wanting an explorer for a while, and it was cheap enough I just said fuck it, I'll buy it.

That store usually has a few neat things in the used section. Last time I was there I bought my ride the lightning ltd guitar.

Nice sound, though if I can be brutally honest...
the lyrics are kinda edgy ;p
. Interested to see how you develop.

Thanks - good to get some feedback! All recorded and mixed by me in the wee space in the pics, though we did get it professionally mastered. This time around we also tried to keep things as close to our live sound as possible so we both used our boards and kept things simple, so all of my tones on the EP are off the Main Board. The Bogner Burnley and Wessex pedals I can't praise highly enough! Love em!

Lyrically the EP is quite a bit more politically polemic than the previous albums; the concept was all about apathy in the face of corrupt governments and corporations, possibly underlined by the spectre of Trump in power - which has now come to pass!

I would second the vote to get any new guitar setup - unless you have got it custom built!!

I would also go even further than this and get it setup by someone you know and trust, rather than just a guitar shop's resident tech; I find those to be hit and miss. I was lucky enough to find a local guy who I now get to do all my setups, and after a couple of guitars he now knows exactly how I like my guitars to play and does a great job.

The difference between a stock guitar and one properly setup to your own favoured action can really be night and day.

Protome

Geetar pictures!

First my Fender Starcaster Strat. A cheap but pretty good beginner electric guitar (I believe they were Costco exclusive for a while, its where I got mine.) if any beginners pick one up I highly recommend changing the strings instantly. It makes a world of difference.

I'm probably going to replace it next year. Primarily because its a bit buzzy. It usually sounds fine from an amp, its unbearable in Rocksmith though.

My Orange Crush20 amp.

My new baby, a Faith Naked Neptune. Its so lovely to play. Much harder to learn on than the electric but I enjoy using it so much it has increased the amount I practice.

ActWan

Damn this thread came at the right time!
I played guitar for one year but stopped playing like 6 months ago and now I wanna go back.
I have this crappy Ibanez Gio where the middle pickup just sticks upwards so I gotta play on the little areas between the pickups, paired with a Fender amp and I got one old small classic guitar.
My only serious gripe with guitar playing and the reason I stopped is because I learned to play myself, not from a teacher, and I've been just playing wrong...and got used to it.
So I reached some kind of level within that year of playing but zero progress since (my problem is that I always downpick, never alternate picking or whatever that's called) soo now after a long break I plan on starting again from scratch and learning to pick properly.

Formless

Lots of stuff 25% off at Prymaxe. I picked up a noise suppressor and overdrive. Lacked a buffer so I opted with Boss.

...I have way too much gear for someone who doesnt play live

I did this. After me and my friends went shopping, I said lets go to guitar center. The one by their house is a lot better than the one by me, and I don't go there often. Found an epiphone gothic explorer in the used area and bought it. Paid $308 after tax, which isn't too bad. I've been wanting an explorer for a while, and it was cheap enough I just said fuck it, I'll buy it.

That store usually has a few neat things in the used section. Last time I was there I bought my ride the lightning ltd guitar.

Yup, I ended up going to GC yesterday too. Bought strings, guitar stand, picks, cables, etc. - saved about $50. My nephew ended up buying a used Squire Strat @$250. Pretty nice one too. I ended up buying the Vintage V6M24 on Reverb for 20% off. 'Twas a good day.

Shadybiz

The difference between a stock guitar and one properly setup to your own favoured action can really be night and day.

Yeah, I have an Ibanez RG model; played fairly nice out of the box, but hitting a barre chord cleanly was tough, and it just wasn't that easy to hit the notes further down the neck. I think I paid about $50 to get it properly set up by my local music shop, and it was like switching to easy mode. Definitely worth every penny if it's done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Dang, an A6H! Probably the most expensive guitar shown so far!

Lol I wish it were mine, should've said I grabbed it from Kiesel's FB page.

I got myself a Martin, a SSS Fender Tele, HSS FenderStrat (No floyd), a 1970s Ibanez Mandolin, some Chinese classical guitar (the fretboard is literally painted on), a 3 string custom guitar, and my prized jewel this orange coloured Roland Cube-60 which is from the 80s I think

5sold-300x400.jpg

beoq3txs2dpbjtgsmpmy.jpg

Top Bottom