• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

Button

Banned
It's safe to assume Ethan is already a millionaire, right? It's funny how every time there is something threatening YouTube's money system, he is the first one to make a huge fuss about it. What, you are surprised that online ads are not the most stable source of income?

Maximo

It's safe to assume Ethan is already a millionaire, right? It's funny how every time there is something threatening YouTube's money system, he is the first one to make a huge fuss about it. What, you are surprised that online ads are not the most stable source of income?

How much do you think Youtubers make?

Izuna

Banned

No way he is.

Can anyway tell me if he has address JonTron yet? I saw them in that spicy sauce challenge but I didn't have time to watch all the way through.

I wonder if H3H3 are worth unblacklisting.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
No way he is.

Can anyway tell me if he has address JonTron yet? I saw them in that spicy sauce challenge but I didn't have time to watch all the way through.

I wonder if H3H3 are worth unblacklisting.
Nope, he never once publicly talked about it. The closest he got was liking the follow up video Jon did.

I went from thinking Ethan was a great guy to seeing him as kind of a douche. He has put out way too many poorly thought out videos in the past year or so.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

No, unless he and Hila are openly lying about their finances. Watch their update video about their suit from Matt Hoss: it's completely draining their money, to the extent that Hila starts crying on camera. So, again, either they're disingenuous, or they're far from rich.

Tubie

No, unless he and Hila are openly lying about their finances. Watch their update video about their suit from Matt Hoss: it's completely draining their money, to the extent that Hila starts crying on camera. So, again, either they're disingenuous, or they're far from rich.

He himself just said him and Hila are set for life and have their financials in order in this very video. They live in a REALLY nice place too.

Makes me think that the latest Matt Hoss video was full of shit when it came to how it impacted them financially, SPECIALLY since most of their supposed cost was still covered by donations at that point.

Bacon

I've been trying for a while to sum up how I feel about Ethan but it's been hard to put into words exactly what I'm feeling. Mostly I'm just disappointed. I really thought he was a good dude but he's done nothing but push me away from his channel for the last 6 months or so.

Tubie

I've been trying for a while to sum up how I feel about Ethan but it's been hard to put into words exactly what I'm feeling. Mostly I'm just disappointed. I really thought he was a good dude but he's done nothing but push me away from his channel for the last 6 months or so.

This is basically how I feel.

For a while I tried to make excuses for them, but I think I just can't do that anymore.

His obscene reaction to the PewDiePie shit, his non reaction to JonTron, and now this... it's just too much to ignore anymore.

Kudo

I feel like they're straying too much from the main purpose of the channel which is funny reaction videos. At least that's why I subscribed.
When they make one it feels like a special treat rather than the norm.

Izuna

Banned
Nope, he never once publicly talked about it. The closest he got was liking the follow up video Jon did.

I went from thinking Ethan was a great guy to seeing him as kind of a douche. He has put out way too many poorly thought out videos in the past year or so.

Ah I see.

The election videos he did showed what kind of man he was. He knows his fanbase, I guess

Leafy handles that shit better and it's sad to see

cluto

He himself just said him and Hila are set for life and have their financials in order in this very video. They live in a REALLY nice place too.

Makes me think that the latest Matt Hoss video was full of shit when it came to how it impacted them financially, SPECIALLY since most of their supposed cost was still covered by donations at that point.

Could you provide a timestamp to where he talks about being "set for life" financially.

Tubie

Could you provide a timestamp to where he talks about being "set for life" financially.

My bad, they don't straight out say that, but he does say something along the lines of as long as they don't like completely stop making money "in the near future" they will be fine. Which is why it made me think set for life.

https://youtu.be/gQ489KjPqlc?t=119

But, it makes you wonder why they were almost crying in the last Matt Hoss video not too long ago if he seem so confident about their finances now.

Button

Banned
But, it makes you wonder why they were almost crying in the last Matt Hoss video not too long ago if he seem so confident about their finances now.

Well, being sued is pretty damn stressful I guess. Surely the money is not the only problem for them. But even then, they have presumably used almost all their donated money on lawyer's fees, and if they were to lose the case it would be very expensive for them, and it would out of their pockets.

This is what really upsets me about Ethan, is that h3h3 was an almost universally liked channel who seemed to get along with everyone and made great videos making fun of silly memes without ever going as far as to insult the people or create a witchhunt like Leafy or whatever. They built up a lot of trust and goodwill in the community and I was a huge fan, they seemed like good people.

In the last six months or so Ethan has really tried to put forth this image that he's a smart guy who kinda stays above it all...except whenever he tries to talk about something serious like the election or the media, he's woefully uninformed. But his fans don't know that and they believe he really knows what he's talking about. So when he perpetuates this insane myth about the WSJ and "corporate media" being terrified of YouTube and launching smear campaigns, people believe him. When he more or less directs his fans to go after single journalists with half-baked misleading arguments, people do it. He doesn't mention anything about JonTron being a garbage person but railed on that woman from the Hugh Mungus video constantly. How is what she did any different, more inflammatory or worse than JonTron publicly advocating for a white ethno-state? Oh right, she's a "triggered SJW" and JonTron is a friend of his.

A few months ago my girlfriend and I were watching their channel and one video came up where Ethan talked about how everyone gets so triggered and he wishes they would stop. Except it was just 12 or so minutes of him complaining at the camera.

I dunno, it's just sad.

My bad, they don't straight out say that, but he does say something along the lines of as long as they don't like completely stop making money "in the near future" they will be fine. Which is why it made me think set for life.

https://youtu.be/gQ489KjPqlc?t=119

Even if they are millionaires they could potentially lose quite a bit of their fortune if this drags on and they lose.

Nobody likes losing a quarter if their networth for example.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I don't think there's any reason to doubt their stress and concern over the lawsuit.

Ethan really does not have a rigorous mind. That's fine most of the time when he's making videos about goofy and silly idiots. But when it comes to critically evaluating claims he is way out of his league. There is no doubt that the pulling of ads is damaging more than just some bad channels, but that's the free market!

They could have made an effort to cultivate a more good spirited audience, but they haven't. Ethan himself has spoken of how vile people like Keemstar are. I mean, Ethan has collaborated with someone who freely uses the n and f words with little care (idubbz). Pewdiepie didn't have to make nazi jokes or very bad taste jokes, but he did. Jontron didn't have to broadcast his white supremacy.

Actions have consequences. Youtube is a platform, it isn't subject to free speech.

Ethan can be very entertaining, but his poor handling of this WSJ video just goes to show that aside from being spineless when it comes to social issues, he's very disingenuous to the point of self-deluding.

It doesn't surprise me that this is response given the trend of his channel over the past couple months. I don't doubt he has the mental fortitude to parse and understand what is actually happening and why, and how that's not necessarily bad thing or the fault of advertisers that don't want their brands associated with hate speech and hateful people - but I don't think he wants to.

He's not an idiot. This hurts him financially, and the best way to spin it is to simply use it as material to fan the flames for his fanbase. If he gives them an enemy, they'll rally behind him. To that end he'll put up a picture of a journalist and tacitly direct a hate brigade as the sole reason for YouTube's "decay."

I expect the Patreon to return in the near future and H3H3 to continue on their right-leaning curve to secure the patronage of sheltered and oft-bigoted white kids. They've been buttering his bread for quite some time now, might as well make the leap.

But I digress. I'm just happy so many in this thread and subreddit are seeing through at least some of his bullshit in this specific instance.

I was in with h3h3 until JonTron coming out as straight out racist. It have nothing to do with Pewdiepie tasteless jokes but are not racist by any stretches, they are irresponsables. I was legit surprised that Ethan didn't come against Jon. I guess it's the logical continuity of his stance about the elections, but damn. How can you judge trashbag like Pranksters and don't say anything against clearcut racism of the worst kind being spread on Youtube.

Seesaw15

lUf9Wit.jpg

What a day
lol

Ethan, THIS HAS TO STOP.

So, how do you feel about Ethan's stance now?

Wew damn lmao. WSJ looking mighty suspect right now

Legitimate journalism eh?

Some mighty ass blasting.

Wonder if WSJ and Nickas will come clean and there's a lot of crow for the community to eat over the last video even if it might have been handled better overall.

Wellthereitis.gif I am super interested to see what comes of this now.

I'm no conspiracy nut and full disclosure know people who work with Jack at the WSJ, but some of this is pretty damning.

Especially the two screenshots that have the same view count on different ads.
lol

Tubie

Holy crap so Ethan dug himself even further with that video.

He's doing exactly what he was accusing the WSJ of doing.

Not a good look at all, even his most loyal supporters on reddit have to twist themselves into knots in order to explain this.

Izuna

Banned
video is unavailable, i never got to watch it

was gunna be the first video i would see in a while just to keep up to date

I'm still team Ethan. WSJ is on a witch hunt because they know their failing paper will soon be obsolete. No one reads newspapers anymore so they're using what influence they have left to go after new media in a last ditch effort to stop the new media rise. I don't think its going to work, even though most of GAF seems to be on the WSJ's side right now. Ethans fans and PewDiePie's fans, the supposed future audience of the WSJ, are all anti WSJ right now so that doesn't bode well for the future of their paper either.

Izuna

Banned
I'm still team Ethan. WSJ is on a witch hunt because they know their failing paper will soon be obsolete. No one reads newspapers anymore so they're using what influence they have left to go after new media in a last ditch effort to stop the new media rise. I don't think its going to work, even though most of GAF seems to be on the WSJ's side right now. Ethans fans and PewDiePie's fans, the supposed future audience of the WSJ, are all anti WSJ right now so that doesn't bode well for the future of their paper either.

I don't think WSJ cares about the sort of consumers who probably never read a newspaper back to front or who care about anything more than headlines that match their preset beliefs

Chumley

Banned

WSJ doesn't give a fuck. Keep on living that delusion lifestyle.

Tubie

So there is a witch hunt just because they are reporting the news?

lol

This doesn't make any sense.

Seeing the recent developments in the other thread, how do you feel about your boy now? Or you still gonna cape for him? You sure did disappear from that other thread.
I did disappear for a bit, didn't feel the need to keep following it. My question to the other poster was legitimate curiosity, didn't have any malice will behind it. But I've got absolutely no issue in admitting I was wrong or batting for the wrong side.

I've actually changed my opinions on a lot of things/issues because of GAF discussion, so I'm certainly happy to engage in it even if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom