• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

Slacker

Damn
I'm more curious to see how bad this is affecting other creators over Ethan's stuff tbh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn46t8NksX0

"Youtuber" as a career was always a bubble ready to burst in my opinion. There are plenty of creators that work hard and create quality content, but plenty more just yapping in a microphone for hours and getting paid (apparently until recently) a ton of money. How many advertisers paid to advertise on Leafy videos, and what kind of return did they get on their investment? I can't imagine that kind of advertising paying off.

Ethan seems to think he's entitled to make money on youtube because he's not a racist, but that's just not how it works. I get the impression that Youtube was able to fool some companies into advertising on their platform based on view counts alone, but the recent drama with the racist stuff caused them to look at what they're advertising on, and they're seeing a high risk/limited reward situation.
Ethan's channel is a pretty good example actually. Maybe an advertiser loved Vape Nation and decided to run ads on the channel. But then Ethan did the sic'd his followers on the WSJ reporter and the advertiser is now tied to that nonsense as well. When you advertise on Big Bang Theory, you know your ads will be running alongside the same stupid shit every week. With a youtube channel there's just no telling.

I think quality content on youtube will survive and continue to produce. People doing stupid stuff and getting rich may not, but I don't think that's the end of the world.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
"Youtuber" as a career was always a bubble ready to burst in my opinion. There are plenty of creators that work hard and create quality content, but plenty more just yapping in a microphone for hours and getting paid (apparently until recently) a ton of money. How many advertisers paid to advertise on Leafy videos, and what kind of return did they get on their investment? I can't imagine that kind of advertising paying off.

Ethan seems to think he's entitled to make money on youtube because he's not a racist, but that's just not how it works. I get the impression that Youtube was able to fool some companies into advertising on their platform based on view counts alone, but the recent drama with the racist stuff caused them to look at what they're advertising on, and they're seeing a high risk/limited reward situation.
Ethan's channel is a pretty good example actually. Maybe an advertiser loved Vape Nation and decided to run ads on the channel. But then Ethan did the sic'd his followers on the WSJ reporter and the advertiser is now tied to that nonsense as well. When you advertise on Big Bang Theory, you know your ads will be running alongside the same stupid shit every week. With a youtube channel there's just no telling.

I think quality content on youtube will survive and continue to produce. People doing stupid stuff and getting rich may not, but I don't think that's the end of the world.

I agree with you on the youtube tricking advertisers into not looking at the content being advertised upon - they'd never admit it, of course.

Ethan's biggest problem is that he's closely associated with a lot of bad you tubers who give the platform a bad name. All of the drama channels, particularly.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I feel like a Patreon has been in the making for a long time now, the Clickbait videos the constant poor me old media hates us riling up the crowds to come to the defence, dude should make one already.

The irony here is that they used to have a Patreon. Worked pretty well too. Can't remember when or why they shut it down.

Mistle

The irony here is that they used to have a Patreon. Worked pretty well too. Can't remember when or why they shut it down.

They shut it down because they said they'd become financially stable from Youtube revenue and it felt wrong to keep the patreon open.

Damn
I'm more curious to see how bad this is affecting other creators over Ethan's stuff tbh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn46t8NksX0
Small business finds out making money is hard, and putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad idea.

I applaud Youtube for finally making these changes, but of course some people will be caught in it and they should try to fix it. But there needs to be some form of control.

Start a Patreon and make content for your fans. That is really the best way for these channels.

Daffy Duck

It really has imploded for these guys (not just this channel, but all of these drama channels and stuff) over the last month or so.

I'm not entirely sure what everyone expects from these large worldwide brands these days, it really does boggle my mind that they can't understand why these brands would have a problem with their adverts playing on these videos.

Pretty much, you were always relying on a huge company to handle the business side of things and just hoping nothing ever changes for you even though you're basically a fraction of a fraction to that company as a whole. I get being upset when things start to change and they seem crazy or dumb, but it honestly feels like it was only a matter of time anyways.

I think it's funny that Giant Bomb, who has mostly been ahead of the curve on content like this and monetization, called it a couple months ago. Think it was an email asking about youtube or patreon and Gerstmann basically said it'd be crazy to rely on anything like that long term because you basically own nothing and don't control anything. You're perpetually at the whim of something you have no control over.

In the last video from H3H3 I could tell Ethan was trying to rile up the evangelicals enough to get his video to play on Fox News when he mentioned his video was flagged for being "Christian"

Ethan feels entitled to specific high paying advertiser when he can't even acknowledge that his channel is nothing more than another toxic drama channel.

Maximo

Ethan feels entitled to specific high paying advertiser when he can't even acknowledge that his channel is nothing more than another toxic drama channel.

Essentially what TB nudges towards that his content has changed over the year and its not surprising Advertisers are bailing.

Essentially what TB nudges towards that his content has changed over the year and its not surprising Advertisers are bailing.

I appreciate TB's sound clip on the subject though I wish he touched on this YouTuber vs MSM bs that has been going on--though I'm not even fully sure where he stands on the subject. YouTubers have gotten away with a lot. If this was a cable television show they would have been pulled off the air in the first season.

YouTubers are finally now realizing what "old media" has know for decades.

Sponsor's won't fuck with you if you're poisonous.

No! Old media is just the gatekeeper afraid of the new future. They are scared of us YouTubers! /s

Either adapt or fade into irrelevancy.

Tubie

I get that Ethan is angry about losing most of his revenue, but you can see how damn clueless he is about this whole thing when he's surprised a guy/channel like Filthy Frank is no longer able to make money from advertisers.

Advertisers are finally learning that 2 different videos with 3 million views each don't necessarily have the same value. The content in those videos and the audience of those videos matter a whole lot more than raw views.

I'm sure that Youtubers that actually make quality content, and not drama bullshit clickbait, will be fine in the end. Youtube needed this clean up for a long time now, so I'm glad actual journalists still exist and were a big part of making this happen.

Slacker

https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/h3h3-productions-and-the-state-of-youtube-advertising

Some people don't like TB which is fair enough whatever but he recently broke down the issues Youtube is having with advertising/ect but calls out H3H3 and uses his channel as a example, basically calling out Ethan being uneducated on the matter and not understanding the system falsely making claims/ect.

TB broke it down perfectly. Goofs and gaffs are ad friendly. Drama crap h3h3's been doing lately, not so much. And that unpredictability hurts the advertising potential of the platform in general.

Ullus

It's a shame how a big part of their ''fanbase'' are such cunts. Other than that I've actually enjoyed their vlog channel.

Hux1ey

Banned
Aww.

maxresdefault.jpg

That video is MUCH better than their last stuff. But man their viewcount has been less than usual. Like it used to take just a day to reach past a million but now it's taking time to hit that mark.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Joey Salads on the podcast right now... cool.

This made me finally just unsub from H3H3, used to really love their videos, but have seen them do some really dumb shit lately but this was the final straw. Why give someone like that a platform? Fucking idiotic.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just as I thought he was getting back on track with his "inventor" video, he pulls this shit. So disappointing, ugh.

Oh jesus, does he even call him out on anything in this? I just jumped around a bit and it seems like 50 percent misinformation about Sweden and 50 percent "wow ur pretty cool joey! XXD"

Christhor

Oh jesus, does he even call him out on anything in this? I just jumped around a bit and it seems like 50 percent misinformation about Sweden and 50 percent "wow ur pretty cool joey! XXD"

He says that they went to Sweden too and walked around at 3am feeling incredible safe. Saying that the night time in LA is so much worse than anything in Stockholm.

I for some reason have 0 interest in their podcast. Them getting people on to talk to just doesn't interest me regardless of who it is.

Do some more twitch game streams with Sean, that was actually fun to watch.

Makes me really sad they give platform for racist, hate mongering male like Joey Salads. It really shows how ignorant and bigoted they are about Sweden. Country is doing great economically and they don't bend over to racism like many European countries.h3h3 used to have great videos but election year really made them show their true skin. Two sides are just as bad and all that. Really disappointing.

Ullus

Hold up, what's this about Sweden, they seemed to like it in the vlog?
Don't wanna sit through the podcast with that cunt.

Faynwulf

Makes me really sad they give platform for racist, hate mongering male like Joey Salads. It really shows how ignorant and bigoted they are about Sweden. Country is doing great economically and they don't bend over to racism like many European countries.h3h3 used to have great videos but election year really made them show their true skin. Two sides are just as bad and all that. Really disappointing.

One of these words is not like the others.

Some of the overblown reactions and personal attacks against Ethan and Hila are almost unbelievable. Espcially when I consider what some of you preach in other posts. This thread really changed in a couple of months. It always fascinated me when someone posts about something they clearly dislike or hate. But they can't just let it go or ignore it. No they need to actively hate it and let everyone know of their hate.

The last couple of sites in this thread are just one big goof, gaff and also a laugh.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't care that he has JoeySalads on his show, but is it in the same way that he had him on during that car incident, or is it in the JoeySalads is an actual, normal, not-at-all-offensive-piece-of-shit type way?

Maybe it's just because every grotesque Youtube channel farms anti-BuzzFeed videos, but I really don't care to see them. Anyone else?
I should say, I don't watch BuzzFeed or really think they're noteworthy.

Also this
I hope he contests some of the stuff Jordan says, Ethan has a ton of very young, easily influenced viewers.

Buzzfeed makes content for clicks, and every buzzfeed defector attests to this. Apparently women showing they boyfriends their periods and positioning the content as female empowerment gets clicks and goes viral so why should they stop?

Not suggesting he should stop and obviously, guilty by association is dumb, but it's hard not to think about the other Youtubers who farm BuzzFeed videos.
I mean, it's apparent that those Youtubers choose to make BuzzFeed videos because it fits their narrative. I know H3H3 is picking BuzzFeed instead for comedy but it just doesn't feel good to see BuzzFeed bashing at this point.

LNBL

Man, surprised to hear Boogie talk about the daddy of five stuff on the podcast. I dont think he should be trying to explain the behavior of the parents in the way he did, even though he said they were in the wrong in the end.

Maximo

Man, surprised to hear Boogie talk about the daddy of five stuff on the podcast. I dont think he should be trying to explain the behavior of the parents in the way he did, even though he said they were in the wrong in the end.

Boogie trying to explain both sides? Not surprising.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yea? Is he known for doing that?

Don't really follow him, will check out some of his stuff now

Yes. For the longest time I thought that was his indeniable strength, but some of the recent "controversies" (i.e. not controversies but much more clear-cut stories, such as the JonTron debacle), should have been tackled more directly and harshly by him. He doesn't really take positions even when he clearly should. It makes his sound shifty at times, even though he strikes me as a good guy overall.

Oreoleo

People love playing armchair psychologist, I don't think that is particularly unique to Boogie.
Overall though I thought it was a really good podcast, very interesting to hear Boogie and Ethan both delve into mental health issues like that.

Top Bottom