• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

David Slade, director and executive producer on Hannibal, is joining American Gods as...a director and executive producer! Looks like this is turning more into the unofficial Hannibal follow-up. Now to get some of the cast to come over too...

Deadline has the news.

I'm gonna watch the show for Fuller and Slade alone, even if I know virtually nothing about American Gods. Still, I haven't given up hope for Season 4 completely yet.

-griffy-

Banned
That is why I'm already signing on to do the OT.

These are top men. Top men, I tells ya.

top_men_indiana_jones.gif

Corpsepyre

Just finished binging the second half of the season, and it's brilliant. While we have seen the Red Dragon arc play out before, Hannibal elevated it greatly. That ending was done SO well that it might just be my favourite episode from the show if one's not to look at the season 2 finale.

A fitting end too. I'm Ok with the show ending on this note. Fuller has created a masterpiece.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The shot of The Dragon standing in front of his burning book, painting, etc..is probably one of my favorites from the entire series. So many amazing shots though.

Sirenja

Banned
Man I can´t believe it´s over - I just hope they can get the funds for a movie : (

Also there is a male/low pitched version of Love Crime floating around - I really like it - listen here

for some reason, I didn't feel like watching the last three episode until now, and I'm at once delighted with it and at the same time kind of 'bored'. I was never really interested in the whole Red Dragon thing as the weirdness of the first seven episodes felt much tighter and more rewarding at its conclusion. So going towards 'the end' felt a bit like a drag to me, though that cut on 'we need a fool' to Chilton was glorious. As is most of the editing, which is the real strength of this show.

I kind of feel that that article on storytelling is somewhat misguided about stories on visual media though. The only difference between Hannibal and other shows is that the main writers are actually good at what they do, and that there is a focus on proper editing. And by 'proper' I mean focusing on story, not just making it watchable. Knowing Fuller's liking of Kubrick (The Shining with season 1), it's not surprising to notice that S3 was getting to be 'Reflection Shot: The Show Formerly Known As Hannibal' in the second half of the season, since that was a dominant one in 2001 as well. The difference is that it actually serves a story in Hannibal, whereas most of the time it's just there for kicks in 2001. Which is a difference in editing, not necessarily directing.

I did feel the last two episode were starting to 'wrap it up', with dialog occasionally breaking down into quotes ('you play, you pay' ?) or language that didn't really fit a character. I am content with this being over and how it ended though.
I will miss the world's most devious supervillain by the name of Jack Crawford. And that matching style of Alana's lipstick with her clothing. I am a-fashionable, but that stood out in the finale.

UrbanRats

I had watched the first three episodes and stopped, because given the different style of the season, i wanted to binge it, which i think was a wise decision.

I liked the season a lot, even though it wasn't as good as the second one, and many points felt a bit rushed through.
When they fell off a cliff and i remembered that it was the official end of Hannibal, i felt really empty, damn.

I'm at least glad something like this, even with all its plot holes and writing snafus and self indulgence, could exists, it was an utterly unique ride, that no film or TV show ever put me through.

In closing, i want to say that Lawrence Fishburne had an impressively good Italian pronunciation (like, i had to do a double take to make sure those parts weren't dubbed) far better than anyone else in the cast, including Mads.
Also, Jack really shone this season for me, he was my favorite character, and that Hannibal beating was incredibly cathartic.
I thought it was funny how, compared to season 2, this year everyone had become more or less an asshole, by the end.
Jack and Alana in particular, did a sharp 180°, but i liked it ever more because of it.

Certain plot points were fine, but really needed more time (Will's new family for one), but alas...

I still hold out hope for a 4th season.

Okay, so now that it's 100% confirmed that the thing 98.97% likely to happen actually did happen, let's talk about whether or not we get a big fat 3 season complete series box set with delicious extras.

Because that is what I'm curious about.

Alpende

I don't get why companies don't just release everything on blu-ray, why is it even a point of discussion, costs? DVD looks shit compared to blu-ray and with a show like this, you kinda expect blu-ray.

Monocle

I don't get why companies don't just release everything on blu-ray, why is it even a point of discussion, costs? DVD looks shit compared to blu-ray and with a show like this, you kinda expect blu-ray.
Watching a show as beautiful as Hannibal on DVD would be intolerable.

I get it unfortunately. I'm sure if we saw the number of sales on some of these niche shows we would completely understand why companies don't bother to spend the money/time to release something that isn't going to sell.

Alpende

I get it unfortunately. I'm sure if we saw the number of sales on some of these niche shows we would completely understand why companies don't bother to spend the money/time to release something that isn't going to sell.

True but release it on Blu ray and not on DVD, it's 2015. Is blu ray truly that more expensive than DVD nowadays?

Yeah, they banked a little too hard on Fannibal-esque stuff for the promos. I mean, Mads is a sexy beast, but it doesn't matter when no one knows what your show is.

Top Bottom