• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeless-age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Wow, I was afraid to come back into the thread after the Paypal thing, but everything was handled really well.

*sniff* I'm proud of you, GAF.

Soultron, you're a good guy. HJ, you too--hope everything works out for you.

S1lent

Congrats on the JOB!

A good friend of mine who has been unemployed for some months now just landed a job today as well.

:D

DD-11

Just discovered this thread. This is all very touching. It really just goes to show that the connections people make online are significant and meaningful despite the negative stereotypes and associations floating around.

Glad everything worked out as well it did. You'll look back a year from now, amazed at how far you've come and will not be able to image still living with your father. I guarantee it.

mcmonkeyplc

Neo Member
This thread is a beacon of hope in the pile of shit known as the internet!

Thank you Soultron and HJ, you restored my faith in humanity! This shit needs to be on the front of newspapers, not another random killing.

drkOne

Wow, just found this thread… Very inspiring.
Best of luck to you HJ, glad to know you got the job! And you're the man Soul!

rass

I just read this entire thread instead of getting my work done, very uplifting, congrats on the turnaround HJ, Soul, you are a good guy. I'm lucky in that I have a family that would have me here as long as I need to be (I'm 24, and hoping to start a 3 year BA next year)

Rayme

HurricaneJesus said:
Got the job!!!
Fuck yeah; well done man. =)

I've been afk since Friday afternoon, but have kept up as best I can via CKholer's iphone webapp (which is a wonderful, wonderful thing). I can't believe how well your weekend has gone, and how crazy this must all be for you. I think I said this before, but; thanks for having such a good head on your shoulders, and taking all of this (the bad, then the good!) in stride. It's pretty inspiring to see.

HurricaneJesus said:
Every donation, no matter how small, means the world to me.
This is so the absolute, correct reaction, hahah.

jiffy38 said:
Just had to post that I was just on not to long ago playing some COD4 with HJ before he went for his interview. He was using Soultron's 360 which was great. HJ is honestly quite the humble guy, glad I could finally meet the man himself. Had lots of fun showing him the ropes when it came to COD4. Cant wait to get some more Xbox Live time with him!
Nice! It'd be fun to all party-up some time. I'm fair-to-mediocre, but my buddy TSue is one of the best players around; maybe we could rope him in.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Wow how did I miss this thread for so long.

I didn't get the whole story because page 6 (on 100 posts per page) has some malware issue and Chrome won't let me load it up, but is there nothing that can be done to save the relationship with HJ's pop? Further, are there laws up there about getting kicked out of the household before a certain age? I think here in NYC you cannot legally be kicked out until 21 years of age.

As a holder of an engineering degree, I can assure you you'll make some serious bank after you graduate.

You deserve some super-positive karma in the future, soultron. Good luck for the future, HJ! And well done, denizens of GAF. Good show all round.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
sprsk said:
Now pay all the people who gave you money back.

There's always someone who feels like being a dick isn't there.

Anyway congrats HJ. The Pursuit of Happyness. Make it happen. ;)

EDIT: HJ I have no interest in receiving my donation back. It was given with an open and joyful heart, it was not a loan. It was a gift.

dazed808

sprsk said:
Now pay all the people who gave you money back.

Who the fuck are you to say that he should do that?? Surely it's upto the people who DONATED the money to HJ to say whether, now his circumstances seem to have changed for the better, they would like the money back. I can't speak for the others, but I certainly don't want him to repay it, I'm just so pleased the guy has got a few good breaks and can get his life back on track. If in the future he decides he wants to repay the money that's his decision but I'd much rather he kept it and put it towards a months rent or something. Hell if he spent it all on beer and women I'd still be delighted for him. It's what I would have spent the money on anyway:lol.

Anyways, congrats on getting the job HJ:D

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
dazed808 said:
Who the fuck are you to say that he should do that??

stache.gif

CrankyJay

Banned
Which job did he get? The BP job or the university job cleaning the engineering labs? Sorry info got lost in the shuffle for me.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
dazed808 said:
Mission accomplished. You must be delighted with yourself.

I had no idea that people would react that way.

I just think its the right thing to do. If people helped me out of hte gutter I'd pay them back as soon as I could.

Even if they say they don't want it.

Meadows

Banned
sprsk said:

I just think its the right thing to do. If people helped me out of hte gutter I'd pay them back as soon as I could.

Maybe it isn't any of your business?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'm with sporsk on this one though, most people would feel being in debt to the people who helped them to get back on their feet. HurricaneJesus even said himself that he doesn't want to accept any money, and the only way he's going to do that is to

a) pay back
b) donate the same amount to charity

Now can all of you good samaritans just calm down? :lol

sprsk said:
Oh, was this thread for GAF Gold members only?

Misc-OhSnap_Bear.jpg

sprsk said:
Oh, was this thread for GAF Gold members only?

Its a nonsense request, and is pretty high and mighty to boot. He had nothing to his name bar 50 bucks, the donations were to help him get his life back together. Just because he has a job doesn't mean his life is suddenly fixed and he should be asked to start repaying GAF. More than that i'm sure people who donated had their own terms, I don't think any of them were expecting or wanting their money back at any point.

The whole point of a donation is that its for a good cause. You don't ask for donations back.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
TheHeretic said:
Its a nonsense request, and is pretty high and mighty to boot. He had nothing to his name bar 50 bucks, the donations were to help him get his life back together. Just because he has a job doesn't mean his life is suddenly fixed and he should be asked to start repaying GAF. More than that i'm sure people who donated had their own terms, I don't think any of them were expecting their money back.

Read his own posts, dude. He said he'd pay back or donate to charity.

dazed808

sprsk said:

Well that's fair enough and a valid opinion but what you originally posted didn't come across like that, it just made you look like a fuckwit.

If HJ wants to give the money to a charity of his choice that's cool with me.

I already said that when I have the money, I will either pay it all back, or match it and donate to charity, whatever the kind souls would prefer. If all I cared about was the money and a free ride, then we wouldn't have stopped the donations. It was over 1000 in less than 2 days, so if I was greedy, I probably could have let it go and racked up an even higher sum. I didn't want that. I just wanted to be able to pay first and last months rent, and have some money for food, and anything related to job searching.

Gonna wake up soul soon and grab some lunch. He has work tonight so maybe I will just leave him to sleep in . . .

I will keep you all updated on how things go. Glad to see the overwhelmingly positive responses!

Osaka said:
Well yeah, so if he wants to pay back why are you guys flipping out so much?

Because demanding that he does, which is what Sprsk did, makes no sense and is pretty rude. The way I see his his only obligation to the donators is to use the money to get his life back together. Anything he does after that is for his own conscience, not any obligation.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
HurricaneJesus said:
I already said that when I have the money, I will either pay it all back, or match it and donate to charity, whatever the kind souls would prefer. If all I cared about was the money and a free ride, then we wouldn't have stopped the donations. It was over 1000 in less than 2 days, so if I was greedy, I probably could have let it go and racked up an even higher sum. I didn't want that. I just wanted to be able to pay first and last months rent, and have some money for food, and anything related to job searching.

Gonna wake up soul soon and grab some lunch. He has work tonight so maybe I will just leave him to sleep in . . .

I will keep you all updated on how things go. Glad to see the overwhelmingly positive responses!

What the fuck is wrong with you dude!!!?!?!!?!?!?!!!!111

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
TheHeretic said:
Because demanding that he does, which is what Sprsk did, makes no sense and is pretty rude. The way I see his his only obligation to the donators is to use the money to get his life back together. Anything he does after that is for his own conscience, not any obligation.

Which is exactly what sporsk said.....

sprsk said:

Wasn't a demand or anything.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I dont know why I'm arguing with you when both you and me know you guys were misunderstanding everything.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Do you guys really want to have a page dedicated to bashing sprsk and arguing about his comment?

HJ expressed pages ago that he'd feel better paying back or matching for charity. He also mentioned it a few posts ago.

I do not think sprk's comment was meant to be negative.

Even if it was, ignore it. Everyone is ignoring people who wonder if it's a scam.

As someone that donated to you HJ, I don't expect to get anything back. I'm glad to help.

If you feel better doing something like matching for charity, by all means.

Osaka said:
Wasn't a demand or anything.

"Now pay all the people who gave you money back." That is a demand, or at least, a command, made within days of the guy receiving the donations. Hence, quite an impractical and somewhat rude statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom