• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you cook your sausage?

Whenever I try to fry in pan with oil it always ends up raw in the middle even though its been burnt to shit on the outside -_-

Cutting slits in the sides works alright sometimes to get it fully cooked. How do you get yours fully cooked? Tried the water method where you put water in the pan to steam it, but it ended up pretty dull & watered down

Jindrax

Whenever I try to fry in pan with oil it always ends up raw in the middle even though its been burnt to shit on the outside -_-

Cutting slits in the sides works alright sometimes to get it fully cooked. How do you get yours fully cooked? Tried the water method where you put water in the pan to steam it, but it ended up pretty dull & watered down

lower fire, make sure you roll it over a few times too

MGrant

That pan is too hot if it's burning on the outside. I pan fry mine all the time but I'm not doing thicker links so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

I buy the thinner ones, chipolata's, to be sure they're fully cooked in less time than the regular bratwurst size sausages.
Also turn frequently.

LQX

Real sausage with raw ground meat I usually boil then brown up in a skillet. I find just frying them takes too long and they can still end up being raw in the middle after all that frying.

Hotdogs I sometimes boil or fry or boil then brown up in a skillet.

-MD-

Too much heat on the pan if they're burning, lower the heat and maybe put a lid over it.

Poppy

unless you have an unreal hulking sausage i dont see how some average pan frying while turning to brown on each side, then covering for a little while and letting sit to rest would ever not lead to it being cooked

i have made tons of hot italian sausage and i barely ever have had anything come out poorly

Bolivar687

Banned
You might want to try a bit of water, covered, on medium high heat to steam it, then lower the heat to medium once the water is burned off and add your butter/oil to finish.

Like others mentioned, your heat is probably too high. Medium for 7-10 minutes should be enough.

When I'm making pasta or a cast iron pizza, I'll just squeeze the insides out of the casing to control the chunkiness.

By hand, most of the time.

i'm so lonely

image.php

Me too.

snacknuts

we all knew her
As I posted the other day in IronGAF: I always boil mine in beer with sliced onions until cooked through and finish them on the grill to crisp up the skin. Then top them with mustard and the beer onions they cooked in.

CHC

Put a small layer (couple tablespoons of water) in a pan with some thyme, garlic, and butter. Put the sausage in on medium heat, then cover it. The water boils off and gently cooks the sausage in the steam. Then you remove the lid and crisp it up by basting it with the remaining browned herb butter.

It's hard to cook with no added moisture because the contact area between a sausage and the pan is so tiny. The steam makes an environment that's hot all around rather than just from the bottom.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Cut em thinner.

Low and slow will give you a more even cook, but without that sweet sweet chrispyness.

Don't be afraid to push them down in the center while frying, circular meat tends to bubble up away from the heat in the center.

Or find a hollow tube and make sausage donuts.

If you put water in your pan, you have to put a lid on it for the steam, otherwise no point.

If you buy precut then I have no advice for you.

And 5 minutes, Turkish.

Selddon

Banned
I like to boil them first and lay them on a frying pan for a short time just so it doesnt have that weird boiled texture

Piggus

Sous vide is good if you don't mind waiting longer. Depends on the sausage for me... When I cook bratwurst I like to boil it and then finish it on the grill. Other types of sausages are better at lower temps.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Philips Air Fryer. Place sausages inside turn dial and ten minutes later crispy perfect sausage with no mess or smoke. It's a miracle.

No turning, no flipping, just miracle sausage.

The air fryer itself is fantastic but sausage is its super power.

Not my pic but my same setup:

VGRGa1D.jpg

segasonic

use less heat

kamspy

Breakfast links? In the oven.

Big fat Italian sausage? Cast iron skillet. First I'll sear it up real good, then put a lid on it and throw in little bits of water to steam the inside.

Instro

unless you have an unreal hulking sausage i dont see how some average pan frying while turning to brown on each side, then covering for a little while and letting sit to rest would ever not lead to it being cooked

i have made tons of hot italian sausage and i barely ever have had anything come out poorly

Well this is GAF after all.

RE: Lower heat replies

Wouldn't lowering heat make it more of a hassle to cook? THIS IS SO CONFUSING

Also alot of good stuff in here. Air fryer looks like a super futuristic gadget

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I slit it in half and then cook it flat side down, if I'm afraid of curling I'll slice grooves on the curved side.

Poppy

Also alot of good stuff in here. Air fryer looks like a super futuristic gadget

i dont think so, you just have to wait a bit longer. its like roasting a marshmallow or something, you want gentle even heat that gives you a crisp brown outside and a hot inside

I boil them for a bit, take em out, cut em down the middle, put a bit of oil on em and then toss em in the oven.

Hope for some good tips in this thread.

.JayZii

Banned

It takes longer, but it cooks all the way through and you don't have a burnt outside and a raw inside.

You can put a lid over the pan and get some steaming action to speed up the process.

Top Bottom