• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you cook your sausage?

Apt101

We're talking links, I am guessing.

I sear it all over in a hot pan first, turning and holding it into place with tongs as needed. I then take it out and place it in my air fryer at 350 F (170 C? sorry 'murican) for 5 minutes, turn it/them over, and go for another 5 minutes. If you don't have an air fryer just use the oven but increase the cook time by a minute or two.

Let rest for five minutes in a draining pan with foil covering it/them (not tightly, make a kind of tent over them). You should be good.

RE: Lower heat replies

Wouldn't lowering heat make it more of a hassle to cook? THIS IS SO CONFUSING

Also alot of good stuff in here. Air fryer looks like a super futuristic gadget

This isn't rocket science, if your food is burnt on the outside but raw on the inside the answer is that you're cooking at too high a heat. The heat needs time to actually reach the interior of your food so that everything reaches a nice, safe, cooked temperature. There are more ways to cook something than 'blaze it at maximum heat until your house fills with smoke.' If you don't feel like watching a frying pan for 15 minutes, use your oven, but be ready for that to take even longer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5Xm6d41NI

This is a grilling method, but you can easily convert it to an indoor method by putting the liquid in a pot/pan and then searing in a skillet.

Edit: Why are you all cutting slits in your sausage? The casing is there to keep the insides inside.

I poke a couple of fork holes in mine so they don't burst, which is worse and further reduces the internal cooking and final juiciness.

III-V

For inside with a pan:

You want a small enough amount of water in the pan that will boil off while cooking so that you can fully cook them using the liquid (easy) and fry the outsides for maximum texture and flavor.

For outside:
Grill in low/indirect heat

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The flavor and texture of sausage comes from the fat, if the fat comes out it won't be as good. So don't do anything that will allow the fat out such as slicing it or frying the shit out if it. Use gentle heat with boiling, and then pan fry for a little texture. Don't break the casing is the rule.

Wiped89

I used to do them in the pan, but even when using no oil they just make fuckloads of smoke and set my alarms off.

Instead I now just cook them in the oven, about 200 degrees. Not quite as juicy, but so much easier.

Phu

Banned
RE: Lower heat replies

Wouldn't lowering heat make it more of a hassle to cook? THIS IS SO CONFUSING

Also alot of good stuff in here. Air fryer looks like a super futuristic gadget

First off, cooking sausage in general should never be a hassle. Second, I don't see how cooking the sausages properly at a lower heat could possibly be more of a hassle than cooking at a higher heat so the outside burns and the inside is undercooked.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First off, cooking sausage in general should never be a hassle. Second, I don't see how cooking the sausages properly at a lower heat could possibly be more of a hassle than cooking at a higher heat so the outside burns and the inside is undercooked.

I think he means it taking longer = more of a hassle.

wait are we talking about links or patties here?
Tb5ZyCV.png
Never cared much for the links; preferred the patties.

I just fry 'em till they're brown and tasty looking, man.

Chorizo is some good stuff as well.

Phu

Banned
I think he means it taking longer = more of a hassle.

Yeah, but I don't see how dealing with messed up sausage is less of a hassle than just having good sausage. We're talking a difference in minutes of cooking time.

As a link, boil first and then fry or grill for that snap.

If I'm eating it in say a pasta, I usually remove it from the casing and cook in the pan that I'll be using for my sauce.

I'm not the only one who read that as "How do you cock your sausage?", right?

...right?

Anyway, serious answer is I cook them in a pan over medium or low heat.

GhaleonEB

Take it out of the fridge 30 minutes or so before cooking, so the center comes up to room temperature. The center will cook much faster.

Llyranor

Boil then pan fry. I tried the water bath in the pan after pan frying but it didn't seem to work as well, though maybe I didn't do it correctly.

Has anyone tried apple juice/cider or beer to boil with? Seems like it'd enhance the flavor.

If I'm eating it in say a pasta, I usually remove it from the casing and cook in the pan that I'll be using for my sauce.
I just throw them in whole into the pot I'm making the tomato sauce in, so that they cook at the same time. Makes the sauce more flavorful, I find. Then I just chop them up with scissors once they're cooked.

Boil then pan fry. I tried the water bath in the pan after pan frying but it didn't seem to work as well, though maybe I didn't do it correctly.

Has anyone tried apple juice/cider or beer to boil with? Seems like it'd enhance the flavor.

I just throw them in whole into the pot I'm making the tomato sauce in, so that they cook at the same time. Makes the sauce more flavorful, I find. Then I just chop them up with scissors once they're cooked.

I've done beer brauts, it's good though I didn't really notice a change in flavor only that it was more tender.

As far as simmering the sausage in the sauce, I've never done that but maybe I'll try it next time. Sounds like the tomato sauce would also help the meat break down slightly due to the acid in the tomatoes.

SRG01

Take it out of the fridge 30 minutes or so before cooking, so the center comes up to room temperature. The center will cook much faster.

Resting to room temperature should be the first step for any meat.

I've once made the newbie mistake of attempting to grill a frozen steak. Never again.

iconmaster

Banned
Bratwursts: boil for ten minutes, then grill.
Breakfast links: boil for five minutes, then pan fry.

Ya best be boilin’ boy

Oven. Takes longer than pan frying.

For me, I only eat sausages when it's a full meal like dinner. So I'll bake on a sheet sausages and veggies that have been lightly coated with olive oil and seasonings.

I try my best to make something like this...... takes around half an hour to cook (sausages defrosted). I keep the veggies simpler though.... mushrooms, onions, red peppers. I do it all on parchment paper so nothing sticks.

Eat-the-Week-Iceland-16-600x401.jpg

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Usually with blondes and brunettes mainly. Sometimes I have them with a red though.

Top Bottom