• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How was your homework load when you were at school?

espher

Pray tell, what is the functional difference between "projects" and "homework"

Not the quoted party, but when I think of 'homework', I think of 'have this done for the next lesson/end of week' whereas projects tend to be 'you have a month or two or more to work on this thing'.

In high school I barely had any until I took AP classes and suddenly had shit like 50 paragraph long definitions every other night and boring books we had to finish in a week or less. The work wasn't actually that bad if you read the textbook like you were told and kept up with the lectures, but the sheer volume of it annoyed me sometimes. By the time I was a senior taking AP US Government I basically stopped doing homework completely and my test score reflected that. Had to take it again in college where it was just as much work so that was a great move on my part.

Homework in college is more manageable if you budget your time properly in my opinion. Even with a part time job you have so much more free time in college than high school. That doesn't stop me from waiting until the last minute though.

JayZ

Neo Member
I can't say that my homework load at school was something special. I studied in a regular school (not a specialized institution), and we always had the most ordinary tasks and homework. But some teachers used to give an increased load to children who coped well. But this is not about me. I have always been an average student. Sometimes I even had to ask someone to help me do my homework. Especially the math teacher liked to give additional tasks to our best students. I was lucky, because I was not among them. So nothing special for me.

andrespi

Well back in my days (90s for primary school and middle school, whle early 2000s for high school) in Italy, in high school we would have between 25 and 30 hours per week in school, so lessons; first year you would do 25 (or something like that) per week, while at final fifth year of high school you would have 30 per week (or I think it was 30, each year it would increase a little).

On top of that you would have roughly 2 hour (at most, sometimes less you could do in 1 hour) of homework per day (including weekend) in total for all subjects combined. But you would definitely have to study more, even 3 hours per day when you were close to certain written tests (fifth year of maths and physics were nightmares). It wasn't really too bad, since we had plenty of teachers' strikes every year and a lot of vacation days/periods. So usually you would get back at home at 1:30 pm (when 5 hours of lessons) or 12:30 (when it was only 4 hours of lessons), eat at home, then do homework for 1 or 2 hours and then do other stuff; of course on weekend you would have homeworks too (not much but roughly the same). Also during final fifth year, the second half of the year would be a lot more homework to get ready for final big exam and prepare your thesis.

In primary school and middle school the load with with both in-class hours and homework was much less than high school. I think it was 24 (or maybe 25) hours per week of lessons in school for primary school (but I'm not sure, it's been ages/decades since I did it). The homework were very little. I remember we all had loads of time to play on nes/snes together and similar on the afternoon and weekends, or to go out alone to collect phone cards or collect and eat fresh pine nuts just dropped from trees; so the homework load was very very light considering we were out alone playing most of days/afternoon or playing consoles. Maybe 1 hour per day of homework (and I'm stretching it) at best for primary school.

Last edited:

Kanojo23

I remember we have a lot of homework and project from different subjects but since I'm a lazy bum, I always did it before each class... basically last minute

Not hard at all. I found homework totally manageable (Canada). I was one of those "study the night before" guys too. So can't be that hard. Large projects and essays I probably started 3 nights before it was due. Looking back, we sure had a lot of time to goof off.

Any foreigner coming to Canada probably laughs at how easy it is here. Also, new policies were enacted about 10-15 years ago. You can't fail. I guess this is Canada's No Kid is Left Behind thing like the US did???

So a numbnut can get Fs and not even show up for class half the time. But if the kid's parents want him/her to advance to the next grade they can. Stupid.

When I was doing school. You fail a grade, you stay until you pass the grade (early grades), or pass the subject (high school) to get to the next level.

The good thing is that when it comes to college./university admissions, you still need good grades to get accepted. So all the kids goofing off with parents supporting their lousy grades will eventually hit a brick wall at high school grade 12 graduation and going to the next step in life.

Last edited:

Dark Star

I went to pretty good schools in Texas

elementary - middle school : mostly just busy work. math and science classes - lots of word problems and worksheets. Lots of "the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell" and other stupid ways of memorizing information (opposed to actually learning it in depth). I don't remember writing too many papers/essays during those years, but lots of pointless projects. overall, those early years of my education were pretty carefree and easy. I wasn't a good student in most classes, I was totally a slacker.

highschool : I took many AP and advanced/honors classes, mainly due to peer pressure and my parents wanting me to excel...so I had a lot of tough tests and papers to write in highschool. This period of my life was surrounded by MLA format and other ridgid preparations for college life (which is silly, i'd rather be taught how to files taxes and become a balanced adult). Most classes required you to memorize facts and then regurgitate them - it was awful. I think high school was even more stressful than college, because all the while, I was preparing for the SAT's.

college/university: overall, college was a waste of time, and you could pretty much BS most of your classes, barely studying and putting in minimal effort to writing 10+ page double spaced papers. Only classes that gave homework were math, accounting, stats, etc. but most of it was optional aside from the online quizzes. . I pretty much skated by, surfed my way through college and still ended up with a 3.4+ GPA in a B.S in the school of technology and a degree from the school of business in supply chain.

Last edited:

Pejo

I did most of my homework in homeroom the morning it was due, or in the previous class to the class it was due. I rarely, if ever, actually did homework at home.

joombo

Banned
I hear a lot of people saying they would spend 2 hours on homework at most. When I was in high school, it wasn't strange for me to start my homework at 6 p.m. and not finish it until 10 p.m., that's why I often applied to writing service here https://uk.edusson.com/article-writing-service to save some time and get good grades. I woke up at 7:30 for school, and do it all over again.

Last edited:

Uhtred

Mind you, I graduated high school in 1994, so it was very different back then. Workload was was a joke. So easy. Kids have it much worse today.

Tesseract

Banned
CloudyKaleidoscopicAdouri-small.gif

Jaxx_377

I went to a Vo-Tech High School so the homework load was barely anything, but that being said after my freshman year I never turned in a single homework assignment. I had 3 different part time jobs in high school and had no time for that shit. I graduated with no grade higher than a C in any class but English II

Tesseract

Banned
Kids have it much worse today.

no they do not, it's easier than ever

sifting through math tombs back in the day, written by the lordliest stanky danky 420 nihilistic nerds on the planet, was some egregious mind bending shit that i cannot easily explain to you in one post or ever

i wanna jump through a glass window just thinking about it

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I honestly don't remember.

I went to too many schools, some had less, some had more. It was a long time ago.

Top Bottom