• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's your handwriting these day?

GeekyDad

I ask because about a year back I was asked to write down answers to some questionnaire at work. I felt like Scottie in Star Trek IV. I've been typing on a keyboard for so long, I almost never handwrite anymore. Of course, my handwriting sucked pretty bad -- not something you necessarily want your superior to see. I still handwrite our grocery lists on sticky notes at home, but that's about the extent of my daily handwriting.

You?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Like a spider on crack. I've never had good handwriting. Bit now I seem to not want to take the time to write and my hand hurts and I feel awkward writing more than a few paragraphs . So I rush I start of fairly need then I either switch to all simple letters or just have my joined up turn I to a mixture of joined up and block letters all caps or lower case and back again, I can honestly say that if you had me go against me to write with pen and paper or keyboard. I would win on keyboard. I'm so much more faster with keyboard. It just feels like an effort to write pen on paper for long periods plus to be honest since school I haven't regularly done this. Keyboard however I use daily.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

My hand writing is "extremely" (according to everyone who have to read me) since I learned writing. I basically have the same handwriting now as I had in first grade.

But the extensive use of keyboard (and close to none handwriting) made it even worse. Writing few sentences usually results in some tension in my writing hand making it very disconfortable, leading me to write even faster than before and so making it even less readable xD

It's kind of scare me actually (the "pain" not the shitty handwriting xD). I should do some practice regularly I guess.

GeekyDad

For short sentences it looks pretty decent but when i need to write a longer text my hand grows tired and the typeface suffers.

Like a spider on crack. I've never had good handwriting. Bit now I seem to not want to take the time to write and my hand hurts and I feel awkward writing more than a few paragraphs . So I rush I start of fairly need then I either switch to all simple letters or just have my joined up turn I to a mixture of joined up and block letters all caps or lower case and back again, I can honestly say that if you had me go against me to write with pen and paper or keyboard. I would win on keyboard. I'm so much more faster with keyboard. It just feels like an effort to write pen on paper for long periods plus to be honest since school I haven't regularly done this. Keyboard however I use daily.
Exactly! And figure probably the majority of people are like that these days.

Con-Z-epT

Exactly! And figure probably the majority of people are like that these days.
Must be cause i barely need to write anymore whereas in school i did it daily for hours. The missus draws a lot in her spare time and she seems to not suffer from this.

Let's be letter friends and then we write each other handwritten! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GeekyDad

Must be cause i barely need to write anymore whereas in school i did it daily for hours. The missus draws a lot in her spare time and she seems to not suffer from this.

Let's be letter friends and then we write each other handwritten! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yeah, I mean, I remember in grade school always getting complimented by my teachers for my cursive and such. But I'm about to be 52 here soon, and since college, it's mostly been typing on a keyboard. I remember trying to up my keyboard speed for classes when I went back for my second degree, and now my handwriting is complete and utter garbage. I don't even write cursive anymore. It's just a very basic, barely legible handwriting.

I think that manager did that on purpose to see if I still had my mental faculties. But it sure seemed like a skewed test, being that most folks are probably like me in that way. If you're not actively a secretary or AA, you probably don't spend that much time handwriting either.

GymWolf

Since you speak so much with your hands you never learned to write with them properly. :messenger_beaming:
Is your joke related to this?

giphy.gif

jufonuk

not tag worthy

the marshall mathers lp stan GIF by Eminem

Left handers in this thread
My people. I too am a left handed freak.

Episode 14 Left Handers Day GIF by The Simpsons

Fuck ring binders ans fountain pens that would rip the paper because when we write we stab the paper. Also fuck pencil marks on our hands.

Still being left handed is great. Scissors used to stop us dead in out tracks if we needed to cut anything.

Right handed privileged wankers.
sorry not sorry middle finger GIF

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Right handers write away from what they just wrote. Left handers move their hands through every letter they just wrote.
I tilted my paper 90° and wrote from the upside. Looks quite weird but avoids this problem. With narrow paragraphs in the typeface, you will encounter the same problem as a right-handed person in the next row.

Rockondevil

Hasn’t changed much since leaving school. I write in all caps so it’s slower, but probably more legible.
I tried writing in lower case for my kid the other day and I couldn’t do it.

GeekyDad

the marshall mathers lp stan GIF by Eminem

Left handers in this thread
My people. I too am a left handed freak.

Episode 14 Left Handers Day GIF by The Simpsons

Fuck ring binders ans fountain pens that would rip the paper because when we write we stab the paper. Also fuck pencil marks on our hands.

Still being left handed is great. Scissors used to stop us dead in out tracks if we needed to cut anything.

Right handed privileged wankers.
sorry not sorry middle finger GIF

Right handers write away from what they just wrote. Left handers move their hands through every letter they just wrote.
Yup, used to get docked for that in early grade school. I think I eventually started keeping my hand elevated when writing.

I keep it to a high standard because it feels like the right thing to do. My wrist gets tired quickly, though. Which is strange considering the lifetime of abuse that thing has gone through.

I had to write a cheque recently since the guy who usually does it was on vacation. When the manager saw my writing, he decided to rewrite it by himself.

I received a card from a friend's wife the other day and I said it was cute that they'd got their three year old to write it. I genuinely thought that was the case...

She's a doctor, too. Keeping those stereotypes alive!

H4ze

I too, am left handed and my writing is just fine. Even kinda pretty for a guy.
But I tend to write something down everyday to stay used to it, despite working on a pc most time of the day.

In Germany we got a saying that goes "Wer schreibt, der bleibt".
Means "who writes stays" and there is a truth about that.

NeoIkaruGAF

Mine's never been elegant, I guess it's readable if I'm not in a hurry. The problem is, I get hand cramps very quickly when handwriting, and this has been happening for a few years.

Btw, didn't we have a similar thread not long ago?

LordOfChaos

Lol abysmal, I hardly write anything by hand these days so typing 100+wpm seemed like the better trade lol

Oh some additional story time, I was born left handed but I guess my parents culturally thought that was "wrong" and switched me to right handed, after which I suffered from shitty handwriting all my life which was a constant source of criticism. They sometimes used to say it would prevent me from having a job or anything...Literally never mattered as an adult lol.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Above average for sure, people do compliment it. Of course I had the advantage of going through school back in olden tymes when everything was handwritten so I had enough practice to develop the skill.

Last edited:

Dark Star

If I try really hard I can make my handwriting look like art. But most of the time it’s pretty awful. I don’t think my handwriting has improved since like middle school lol. I spend wayyyyyy too much time on the computers.

I remember not long ago a coworker saw my notes I was taking and was like “no offense, but you kids nowadays have really bad handwriting” and I was like “yeah, I prefer typing” My typing speed is pretty fast tbf. I guess it is somewhat generational, my parents wrote pen and paper a lot more than I ever did.

Last edited:
Horrendous.

I work in healthcare and years ago when we had to write our progress notes by hand I would literally scribble shit down instead of actually write out words and now when I do have to do paper charting or write orders I have to make sure I spell everything out and pay attention or otherwise it’s just a mess. The worst is writing on a script pad for narcs and having to make sure you have the right dose, route, quantity of the medication, etc or it will get rejected by the pharmacy. We usually ecribe scripts anymore but a lot of the time it’s handwritten when we discharge people to long term care facilitie or write faxes back to places.

So yeah, my writing in general is garbage from years of rushing between college and work

Last edited:

K' Dash

Horrible, my wife fills any official documents and I sign them.

Except my daughters birth certificate, I filled that up because my wife was in recovery still.

Lol abysmal, I hardly write anything by hand these days so typing 100+wpm seemed like the better trade lol

Oh some additional story time, I was born left handed but I guess my parents culturally thought that was "wrong" and switched me to right handed, after which I suffered from shitty handwriting all my life which was a constant source of criticism. They sometimes used to say it would prevent me from having a job or anything...Literally never mattered as an adult lol.
Left hand was unclean/immoral, at least here. When my mom was in school, the teachers would hit the students with wooden rules on their hands if they tried to write with the left hand.

Last edited:
Mine is starting to get better. I noticed like 2 years ago that my writing was turning into shit because I was using tech more, than the normal means.
So, last year+ or so, I have been practicing again, and it seems to be going well for my legibility!

Tams

When writing fast? A horrible mess.

When writing slowly though it's fine and as it's always been. That said, my handwriting is not the most efficient and is rather simple. I'm rather fond of it mind, but I also can't be arsed to make it better.

BlackTron

Horrible. I started using a keyboard to play games like Reader Rabbit when I was 4. So hand writing never got a chance to develop that great before typing became dominant. Don't get me wrong, it's legible, but most of my real life writing was jotting notes in college. Which I did hyper fast (because they're notes) and could not be deciphered by anyone but me. If I was taking an exam the writing would look way better but probably still looked like a third grader. Fluctuating weakness in my hands and wrists from genetic paralysis probably didn't help either.

I'm sure many will agree at how their handrighting now shifts to the right ever so slightly. It's like it's about to fall over, as are we all!

Top Bottom