• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huawei P30 PRO Massive conference, $1,126/999€, Quad-Rear camera, $901 for base P30, Night Vision, etc. [Live Stream In OP)

Will you be buying either the Huawei P30 ($901) or P30 Pro ($1126)?

• Yes!

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Lol

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
Now that interest in foldable phones are gone as well as the "revolution" as one gaffer put it, let's talk about a REAL Smartphone that's (relatively) affordable and Cheap with no ceases:

Here are the details that I can gather from the video:

Huawei Base P30 ($901/799 Euro):
1. 6.1 inch screen with small drop notch with 19.5:9 aspect ratio.
2. The color finishes are made from 9 layers of "nano optical color finish material"(lol?). Handset colors include Breathing Crystal, Amber Sunrise, Pearl White, Aurora and Black.
3. Base P30 camera is a SuperSensing 40MP Leica Triple Camera system (40MP main + 16MP wide angle + 8MP telephoto)
4. SuperSensing systems use RYYB (Red Yellow Yellow Blue) sensors instead of RGGB. This allows for 40 per cent more light to be absorbed, allowing for brighter, sharper images.
5. AI HDR+ is embedded in both phone's camera systems, which deliver machine learning of photo composition and pro colour and adjustment capabilities, such a portrait against strong backlights.
6. In terms of telephoto photography, the P30 has a 3x optical zoom, 5x hybrid zoom and 30x digital zoom capability.
7. Both the P30 and P30 Pro pack 32MP front facing selfie cameras with AI HDR+.
8. The P30 comes with a 3,650 mAh battery which supports Super Fast 40W SuperCharge charging, which allows a 70 per cent charge in only 30 minutes.
9. Full HD+ Resolution screen.

Huawei P30 Pro ($1,126/999 Euro for 128GB cheapest model):
1. 6.47 inch screen with small drop notch with 19.5:9 aspect ratio.
2. The P30 Pro is IP68 water and dust resistant.
3. The color finishes are made from 9 layers of "nano optical color finish material"(lol?). Handset colors include Breathing Crystal, Amber Sunrise, Pearl White, Aurora and Black.
4. The P30 Pro features a SuperSensing 40MP Leica made quad camera system, (20MP ultra wide + 40MP wide angle + 8MP 5x telephoto +ToF).
5. SuperSensing systems use RYYB (Red Yellow Yellow Blue) sensors instead of RGGB. This allows for 40 per cent more light to be absorbed, allowing for brighter, sharper images.
6. AI HDR+ is embedded in both phone's camera systems, which deliver machine learning of photo composition and pro colour and adjustment capabilities, such a portrait against strong backlights.
7. The P30 Pro has a periscope telephoto lens, which allows a wide focal range of 16mm to 1343mm. The Pro delivers a 5x optical zoom, 10 hybrid zoom, and 50x digital zoom. This telephoto lens takes lossless zoom to a new level.
8. The P30 Pro's ToF sensor captures depth information akin to a light-based radar system. This allows for pro-bokeh effects. The P30 Pro's ultra wide angle lens allows you to shoot object from as close as 2.5 centimetres away.
9. Both the P30 and P30 Pro pack 32MP front facing selfie cameras with AI HDR+.
10. The P30 Pro's DXOMARK overall score is 112, which not only beats the Galaxy S10 Plus's score of 109 but places the Huawei P30 Pro as the top scoring phone.
11. P30 Pro comes with a 4,200 mAh battery which supports Super Fast 40W SuperCharge charging, which allows a 70 per cent charge in only 30 minutes, as well as 15W wireless and reverse wireless charging.
12. Full HD+ Resolution screen.

Now some of you may be wondering why you are paying over $1000 for high-end phone hardware and receive a 1080p screen in return in 2019. Well, the reason for that is that it's because of the simple issue that is within the previous issues optional comprehension, as well as the focus and interpretation of what YOU believe, is the issue. of course in reality it's a paradigm, which there is no issue, thus everything is fine, because there are no issues. I hope the clarity and transparency of this paragraph enables you to come to a logical common sense conclusion.

Instead of focusing on that let's look at some pictures from the conference:

Screenshot-2019-03-26-at-3.11.52-PM-1024x576.png

Here you can see a random Asian guy stealing two phones.

Screenshot-2019-03-26-at-3.14.55-PM-1024x576.png

They go after Apple by showing they have the superior and lighter device.

Screenshot-2019-03-26-at-3.17.44-PM-1024x576.png

2340x1080p is much higher than 2000x1080p, that Full HD+ is so high, they may as well call it "Full HD++" eh? EH? How can 4k even or Quad HD even begin to compete with such breath-taking quality????? Curved Oled, and a ratio of contrast which is high also adds more power to th graphics.

Screenshot-2019-03-26-at-3.20.25-PM-1024x576.png

Behold the many colors of which you can obtain. Variety and good, inclusion is good, Diversity is good. Notice how sexy the 3rd Blue one is. You also barely see the notch, it may as well not even be there.

Screenshot-2019-03-26-at-3.21.29-PM-1024x576.png

You though the Galaxy A9 had 4 cameras? Well here is how you do 4 cameras RIGHT! Oh wait this is the Base model so there are only 3 cameras. Ok, erhem, You though the Galaxy A7 had three cameras? Well here is how you do 3 cameras RIGHT!

Screenshot-2019-03-26-at-3.22.52-PM-1024x576.png

You though the Galaxy A9 had 4 cameras? Well here is how you do 4 cameras RIGHT! You may not be able to tell but that small rectangle below the third-camera lens is also a camera lens. You see that's the ToF. Which stands for, and ToF is a depth sending camera, allowing farther draw distances than most cameras today. On phones.

Screenshot-2019-03-26-at-3.30.15-PM-1024x576.png

Finally a phone with a working night camera! Finally you can see if there's any alley dealers around the corner so you know where to avoid! Also you won't be tripping on any trees because the sticks will not trip you up. Also apparently they shot this in Norway which I heard is not a country and is part of the Neverlands.

I hope you enjoyed this insanely thorough thread for a 1080 phone A massively amazing phone that has so much power in the cameras, it's curved Oled Full HD+++ Screen, and a color balance that gives you 400 million shades a second.

For only $1126 for the Pro model and a modest $901 for the base model, what other phone can possibly compete? It's over, Huawei has won!

Is there actually a good reason why phones have exceeded 1080p, or is it that manufacturers need to justify increasing the price for consumers.

Last edited:
Is there actually a good reason why phones have exceeded 1080p, or is it that manufacturers need to justify increasing the price for consumers.

What do you mean? These phones are 1080p FHD++.

The question is why is Huawei not trying to go to 1440 or 4k. Consistently, for 4 years in a row.

What do you mean? These phones are 1080p FHD++.

The question is why is Huawei not trying to go to 1440 or 4k. Consistently, for 4 years in a row.

I was just going slightly off topic, I tend to buy budget phones, or 3/4 year old flagships.

My opinion is that any manufacturer that exceeds 1080p - on a device the size of a phone - is just sacrificing battery life.

VR.. its the one thing I wish my Pixel 3 upgraded.

VR is probably the positive, but I'm curious if you think there's currently enough VR content out there.?

I was just going slightly off topic, I tend to buy budget phones, or 3/4 year old flagships.

My opinion is that any manufacturer that exceeds 1080p - on a device the size of a phone - is just sacrificing battery life.

VR is probably the positive, but I'm curious if you think there's currently enough VR content out there.?

You can find good battery phones with 2k/1440.

4K is different, but there's only like three companies doing 4k anyway and most of that output is from Sony.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I believe night vision could be normal in smart phones going forward. It’s a rare feature

n0razi

I used mine (back when I had a Galaxy S8... 1440p) mostly for video/netflix/etc while traveling... so basically yes there is plenty of content unless all you want is AAA VR games. 1080p on my Pixel 3 is terrible enough to not want to bother while it was OK on the S8.

Last edited:

20cent

I used mine (back when I had a Galaxy S8... 1440p) mostly for video/netflix/etc while traveling... so basically yes there is plenty of content unless all you want is AAA VR games. 1080p on my Pixel 3 is terrible enough to not want to bother while it was OK on the S8.

Yeah, Netflix in theater mode on the go was worth it (when I had a S7)

waxer

I've got one on order. A pro 256gb in Aurora.
In new Zealand. It's 1500nz about a 1000usd. Minus 400nz on open term contract which can cancel same day. Plus you get the watch gt active which is 350nz and jbl wireless headphones worth 400nz.
Arrives 12th.

I don't use vr as makes me sick. Camera is my main priority with a family. The zoom, tof for portrait, night mode and stabilization. All about efficiency for me as well as getting shots like kids on stage from back.
Reviewers never mention how improvements to cameras and how much you trust them can be difference between one shot working or taking three and checking for best.

betrayal

Banned
I'm on a S10+ right now and i value good cameras and didn't have the P30 Pro on my radar. Fortunately i'm not that much into night photography or take a lot of pictures at night or darker settings, for which the P30 is clearly better. The optical zoom on the P30 is quite awsome, but the ultra wide lens is not as wide as on a S10 and the resolution and ppi for the P30 is not that good. Also the design did not click for me and i hate the P30 notch. Maybe they should collaborate for their next smartphone release. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

waxer

I don't like the hole punch instead of notches. It takes away from the original point which wasn't to look good but maximise screen realestate.

On the p30 the notch is slim vertically not just horizontal. If you look at pictures so is the notification bar which goes down either side. Which is why I like notches. You want camera there so may as well use that space rather than upper phone chin and have notification bar even further down below it.

On the hole punch camera they go quite far down and still just notification bar to either side from what I have seen. No need for the bar to be that thick. Just eating up screen. A lot people probably prefer the look vs practicality though and don't care about a few more millimeters.

Dontero

Banned
God this trend of £1,000 phones is fucking stupid.

More like proof that society well being is improving as more and more people can afford phone of all things for $1000 + inflation as people usually forget it exists and things people bought for 500$ in 2000 are about $1000 now.

Top Bottom